Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia follows along with the group, hearing them (if not necessarily listening) but keeping herself silent.
She seems distant, and perhaps lost in thought, her gaze mostly looking at the ground ahead of her, but occasionally glancing off in one direction or another. Oftentimes, followed by a deep sigh.

Finally, she speaks up:
"It's never quite as simple as it first appears; I have to imagine this situation is pretty serious..."

She trails off, not really able to form her thoughts as completely as she would like; you can tell by the frown across her brow, her lips forming a disappointed-looking smirk off to one side.

Sereia swings her bow around and begins to trace her fingers along the string. She never was particularly experience with one, but it was nevertheless handy to have around. Perhaps this mission would see her make more use of it, she thought. She paused a second, then quickly swapped the weapon for her shield, looking at the symbol emblazoned upon it, before brushing her hand across it in a slow, deliberate fashion. She fixates on it for a moment, before stowing it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

Entrance to Blingdenstone
Looking around the cavern one can see the aged deep gnome picking through the remains of her shop, and five sentries stationed at four barricades, with two at the northern barricade. Toward the center of the cavern a spring wells up crystal clear.

Sereia Arlingfeld

Kneeling down before the wellspring, Sereia traces her fingernails over the surface of the water and blesses herself, whispering something softly before getting back to her feet.

Approaching the northern barricade, she stops to speak to the sentries posted there.
"I can only assume this route has seen the most action, yes?" she asks, continuing, "is there any sort of command structure among you? I would like to speak to an officer, if there is one to be had."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 10/10 | AC:15 | Arrows: 2019 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]2/2

"poo poo. I knew I shouldn't have put my shield away.." Sereia thought to herself, cursing, "Stupid, and careless.."

Seeing the closest orc rocked by the forceful magic of her human companion, she decided taking out the first rank was a sound strategy; it might buy them some time, if it worked.

Stepping forward, she drew her bow and knocked an arrow, firing it off at the orc to her left, he hand shaking a little as she released the bowstring.

Longbow at Orc #2: 1d20+5 = 20, damage 1d8+3 = 6

Just as quickly as she had attacked, she backed off to a defensive position, (2 squares west of Quilian's endpoint) looking over to the other elf with a knowing nod, as she drew her shortsword in her free hand. "Hold here," she whispered in elvish, "When they come through, we will strike."

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 23, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 110/10 | AC:15 | Arrows: 19 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]21/2

Sereia drops to one knee, her sword clanging on the ground. Panting a little, the edges of her vision starting to blur, she buries her face in her hands. After a few moments, she gradually is able to compose herself, slowly getting back to her feet.

Cure Wounds: fully healed

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 23, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 10/10 | AC:15 | Arrows: 19 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]1/2

Sereia turns away from Zarnov, saying nothing, but her face speaks volumes; her cheeks flushed a bright red, blotting out the subtle freckles (a telltale sign of her human parentage) and wrinkles of disappointment forming across her forehead.

She stands aside from the group, stopping and fastening her shield to her arm, in a bit of a huff.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Looking over to Shamis, she asks, "are you good to fend off an ambush if we get attacked from both directions?"

edit: If Shamis doesn't wanna be at the back, Sereia will cover that end, with Quilian at the front. Up to slydingdoor.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 24, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

"Did you see that? What the hell was that?"

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

Entrance to Blingdenstone

"But pechs have moved into the old Armorers and Weaponsmiths Guild. They know elementals, and if anyone can help us deal with Ogrémoch’s Bane it's them. Talk to them. Do what you can. Kargien might not thank you for it, but I will. I assure you, the gratitude of an old woman is something to be treasured."

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia briefly conveys what the old woman said.
"We're here to help the svirfneblin. Can you aid us?"

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

"The gnomes wish to reclaim their homeland from the invaders, but they are beset on all sides, by the likes of Drow and Orcs -- and possibly worse, we've only just gotten here.."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

"Killed? By whom -- or what? If we can stop them, will you help?"

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia's face becomes quite stern at this.

"..tell us where we can find them. They are our enemies."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

"Well, I guess we can't help each other, then. We're done here..." :sigh:

Sereia turns and starts to walk away, in dramatic fashion, waving for her allies to follow.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

"Convincing the deep gnomes that getting rid of kobolds is in everyone's interest might be easier than convincing them that getting rid of the Bane and the Boon is, too."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

Chapter 1 - Ruby in the Rough
"For generations, the kings of Blingdenstone ruled from the House Center. We have tried to take it back, but evil lingers around the old structure, a vile presence that prevents us from reclaiming it. We need you to drive the evil off and secure the ruins. Most of all, we need to lay hands on the crown of our last king, who died there."

Sereia Arlingfeld

"What's the significance of the crown?"

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
"I came here to kick rear end and chew bubble gum."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia's Insights start tingling as the Burrow Warden speaks

Wisdom (Insight!): 1d20+5 = 25

Sereia unlocks the Achievement for First Skill Crit of the Campaign.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 10/10 | AC:17 | Arrows: 19 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]1/2

Sereia moves up, drawing her shortsword. Brandishing her shield, the holy symbol emblazoned upon it glows with holy energy.

Put me 1 square West and 2 squares South of Shamis, Sacred Flame at Orc 3
DC 1513 Dex save or take 1d8 Radiant Damage.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 29, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 10/10 | AC:17 | Arrows: 19 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]1/2

"Damnit!"
Sereia clangs on her shield with the pommel of her shortsword, again channeling divine energies.

Keep me 1 square West and 2 squares South of Shamis (wherever she is now), Sacred Flame at Orc 3 (if he's still alive, otherwise at the most beaten-up Orc.)
DC 13 Dex save or take 1d8 Radiant Damage.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 10/10 | AC:17 | Arrows: 19 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]10/2

Hurrying over to Quilian, Sereia drops to one knee, sheathing her sword.
Looking to Zarnov and Grim, she points two fingers towards the orc; "Don't let him get away," she says - almost calmly - but her voice strains.

Her eyes shift down to her elf compatriot, concern crossing her brow, and placing a hand onto his shoulder, watching for some kind of reaction.

Cure Wounds: 1d8+3 = 4

*FART*
Quilian is up @ 4 HP

It's actually +6; forgot about my Disciple of Life feature (thanks, slydingdoor) so 7 HP for Quilian.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 30, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 10/10 | AC:17 | Arrows: 19 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]0/2

"...you're welcome." :sigh:

Sereia sheathes her sword, for the time being.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia has a lackadaisical look on her face, slowly wandering over towards the Speaking Stones, not really sure if anyone else will be there or if any of her comrades will follow. Regardless, she seems intent on going there.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Moving towards the centre of the monolithic enclave, Sereia slowly stoops to one knee.

She was continually disheartened by the ground being stone everywhere; it was unhelpful for getting into her usual prayer stance. A frown crossed her face once again. She instead folded her hands over her upright knee, shield still on her arm, and closed her eyes, head tilting down slightly.

"There was a time when the posture was a lot more important.." she thought to herself.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 1, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia slowly opens her eyes, but stays kneeling; keeping herself at eye-level with the gnome -- hoping he takes no disrespect in it.

"Does anyone know how the stones were 'put to sleep?' Perhaps it was hope that fuelled the stones, and not the other way around."
A gentle smile crosses her face, speaking with deep sincerity.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

"It isn't easy to always be brave; in fact, it's quite impossible.. All we can do is try and be stronger as time goes on, so take heart that you are doing just that." :)

"We have encountered the Orcs twice since we have arrived here; they have taken quite a toll on us, myself and my colleague here in particular," she says, looking over her shoulder to acknowledge Quilian. "Perhaps we might rest, and see about this ritual in the morning?"

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 1, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

Unless you want to do something else first we will be going into a Long Rest.

I'm done here.

Can Zarnov or Grim do a detect magic, to see if the stones really are "cursed"?

Other than that, I'll leave it to the rest of the party to investigate the Singing Stones further.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia mentions to the group that she speaks Dwarvish, which might come in handy if we end up dealing with duergar.

"What did Jalless make you 'help' with? Fending off orcs?" Sereia asks Gurmadden, a strain of concern in her voice.

I'm good with whatever. Should we take a vote?
Do the ritual stuff first, obvs.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Somehow or another, Sereia notices the patch-job on Quilian's chain shirt.
"You seem fairly intent on keeping that armor for a long time..?" she half asks.

"Perhaps I'm being shortsighted, but I can't think of anything we stand to lose by aiding the priest's ritual. Knowing our luck, we'll probably anger the galeb duhrs.." she sighs, looking downward.

"But, if there is any truth to the notion that restoring the Speaking Stones will help the gnomes prevail, I feel we must try it. Um, if you don't want to be around for the ritual, I understand.." trying not to sound dismissive of him, "if there are angry spirits, it might be more helpful if Zarnov and Grim were with me."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

"We use gems to teach children the colors of light fractured by a cut diamond; red ruby, orange fire opal, yellow citrine, green emerald, blue aquamarine, indigo sapphire, and violet amethyst. I think we shall need one of each of these stones.

:siren:Bard dude had a fire opal on his ring

e;fb

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 10/10 | AC:17 | Arrows: 19 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]2/2

When Pingtu presents the aquamarine, Sereia finds herself staring at it -- enamored almost -- a wistful expression on her face.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

"I'm sure if you ask Quilian really nicely, he will hit you with a greataxe so you can experience the sensation firsthand."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia approaches the kobold furthest to the north, dropping to one knee as she drives her sword through its neck.

Coup de Grace 2d20k1+5 = 15 for 2d6+3 damage so probably enough to kill it.

Assuming we can move around freely, put me on the square to the north of that kobold; otherwise this whole turn I wrote up is moot. :downs: In which case, move 3 squares straight forward and Sacred Flame the same guy instead, he autofails his save for 1d8 damage.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
For the benefit of anyone not following IRC, we can Coup de Grace all these kobolds to death now; they each have 2 HP. So if you want to make a fluffpost about kobold genocide, go for it, otherwise let's just handwave this along.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Whoever has a good Investigation skill can get a free Guidance(+1d4) from me if they wanna look for a tripwire.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Wouldn't Ghost Sound work for this? Anyway..

When Shamis gives the cue, Sereia starts making grunting, moaning, panting and whatever assorted struggling sounds, throwing her voice as best she can whilst keeping an adequately safe distance like not moving into the ovular area where the trap is.

Charisma[Deception]+Guidance(I guess?): 1d20+1+1d4 = 4 :suicide:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
How many can we catch in the net?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:getin:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

"That... worked?" :blush:

Sacred Flames for everyone (starting with the nearest kobold)
DC 13 DEX save or take 1d8 = 3 radiant damage

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

A shy smile crossing her face, Sereia unleashes another surge of radiant energy upon the inept kobolds.

Sacred Flames for everyone (only kobold left)
DC 13 DEX save or take 1d8 = 6 radiant damage

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia's hands glow with divine Guidance, aiding her allies in their search for more traps or possible ambushes.

+1d4 to skill checks (likely Perception or Investigation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia's channels divine energy into her shield, brandishing it as she advances, searing one of the kobolds with radiant energy.

Move to the southern square adjacent to Quilian
Sacred Flame at the kobold furthest to the south.
DC 13 DEX save or take 1d8 = 3 radiant damage.
Draw shortsword, just in case.

• Locked thread