Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

MonotoneMorgan posted:

Now, as for a plan? We divvy up our forces (with Octavian/Leon leading each side respectively) and breakthrough the twin entrances. Shouldn't be too difficult given what wtornadoe've faced before. Once we clean up the initial forces, the trick will be Teleporting in and smashing those Sage/Mage units next to Cherie. Anyway, it's time to BREAK OUT!

You, uh... I think there's a typo there? Not sure how you managed that...

NAME REDACTED fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.

Ashsaber posted:

I think I can guess why Cherie never revealed her feelings on the Light path, namely Liana. Now its been a while since I read through the Light path updates, but wasn't Liana implied to be Fighter's destined love interest? Because I guess that Cherie just stood aside for Liana, which just makes this even more sad.

From Liana's ending in the Light Path:

quote:

Liana accepted Fighter's request to go on a journey... The two travel to help rid the continent of conflict so the children might live in a shining new era of peace.

So... it's never outright stated but extremely implied given if they don't have kids, the next chronological game could not happen.
Poor Cherie never stood a chance, being a tsundere and all. Though, I am still a fan of Hein/Cherie as she can join him in the MUSCLE dimension!

NAME REDACTED posted:

You, uh... I think there's a typo there? Not sure how you managed that...

Nice grab! :lol:
Fixed now, but I think that was the placeholder for the tornado gif which must've been shunted around during editing and accidentally copy/pasted into something else.

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.
--------------------------
Scenario 21 :commissar:
All That Remains...

Having scattered Cherie's troops, the company moves into the Twin Castle's interior. Before them loomed two great entrances, only one of which would lead to Jessica. With no other options, Octavian carefully divided the troops so one group would be guaranteed to confront sorceress. However, being forced to divide one's forces was only the first of the castle's traps designed to weaken all attackers. The same technique now used by the Descendants of Light almost meant their doom when used against them during the ancient Holy Sword War. Within the castle's walls, the strength of both side's missions, emotions and ideals will be tested. After this final battle, the fate of El Sallia will lie in the hands of the victor.

So this is it everyone, we've reached the final fight and will be making our 2nd strike. This mortal combat will determine who shall be El Sallia's king of fighters. Whose blood will melt the stone remains of Twin Castle when the dust settles and all is said and done? For Octavian, this is the time to unleash his fatal fury upon his former mentor, so that she may suffer his wroth.

Now that I'm out of good fighting game references, let's move onto the map as there is nothing we need from the shop anymore.

The opening gimmick of the map is that our forces have been split into groups of 5 units and 3 units. The trio have a direct line to Jessica, Liana and Lána. Depending on who you put there, you can easily finish the map in one turn. I will avoid doing this for the most part even though to win all that needs to be done is killing Jessica and she ain't Bernhardt or Böser. No need for a plan, all I need to do is wipe out every commander, survive the tricks and traps of Twin Castle and claim ultimate victory for the Empire.

For Pax Rayguardia!

What's wrong, Liana?

Liana...?

Ah... Nothing, really. Nothing at all.

It's hard, isn't it, Liana? Having to fight him...

But Sister... You too... Having to fight Leon...

Since Böser captured me, I've lived a life of darkness and servitude.
Of course, everyone distrusted and loathed me... But he, Leon, was the only one who treated me with kindness.
He knew all along that I was acting under Böser's control...

You two need not fight against your will. If you wish to return to their side, I won't stop you...

I'm all right, really! Since my release from Böser, I've done a lot of thinking.
I'm a Descendant of Light and Böser taught me to hate our way of life...
But now that I'm free, I've chosen to fulfil my duty. Even if I must fight those I love...

Sister...

However, Liana...

Octavian...
You're a Descendant of Light. Why have you chosen to follow the Empire? Lady Jessica, why has Octavian...?

As the Descendants of Light, we, in good faith, attempt the task before us.
But crushing the darkness through force may superior to our methods... These days, I've often considered that...

Lady Jessica...

I, too, wish to carry out my duty as the Maiden of Light. But I just can't...
I can't fight him like this. That's why...

That's why I want you to erase my memories!
I wish to forget... I wish to forget Octavian!

Liana...

I see... Then in accordance with her wishes, I shall purge Liana's memory...

Oh, god of time, knowledge and mercy! Wipe her mind clean of strife and sadness.

*A flash of white magic illuminates the castle...*

What...? What am I doing here...?

Liana... You went that far...?

The enemy has finally made its way here...

By taking the central passage, we've divided our forces. In this situation, our commanders will prove their worth.

We need to capture the two Maidens, correct?

That's right. They'll be no good to us dead. Always remember that.

HINT HINT

Easier said than done...

I have some magic that should simplify this. Cover me while I make my way to their position.

If you want my opinion, we should get rid of that woman, Jessica. She looks to be the head of their group.

Whatever works for you. We just need to retrieve the Maidens safely.

You two... Please don't overdo it.

No, in order to fight them, we must use all our strength.

I will honour my duty...
As the Maiden of Light, I'll fight until the end.

And so it begins. Now after all that blabbing about unimportant bulldust, let's kill Liana/Lána and then finish off Jessica in a single round. I think Octavian is the best choice for such duty, he can teleport in and slaughter the womenfolk. I strongly suspect this will result in a non-standard game over though.

Like so. Let's start with Liana, by attacking her men:

Who... are you...?

Liana? You don't know who I am?

Uuugghh... Please, just go away!

What do you mean? Are you saying you have no idea who I am?

When you attack and kill her:

I wonder why... when I want to fight you... I... cry...

You erased your memories? I don't understand...!
Why would you do that? Why must we fight at all!?

This... It's too painful... Don't talk to me!

Octavian!? Why, have I...?

My spell has been broken!? How...?
No, there's only one way. Liana must...

Liana! Do you know who I am!?

Octavian...
Lady Jessica sealed my memory, but I still... remember you...

Your memory was sealed, but your heart still longs for him. Those feelings must run very deep...

Liana, I...

No...! I am the Maiden of Light. Protecting Langrisser... is my duty!
That's why, I... Aaahhh...!

Why... Why are we enemies? I don't want to fight, but you left us...
You abandoned me...

But, Liana! That...

It's all right, I understand. This world can be cruel...
Let's do battle, Octavian, and see whose ideal wins!

Aaaahh!

Liana!

Octavian...?
I, I... why... am I... fighting...?

Liana...!

Goodbye, Octavian...
I love... you.

Liana!

How could this have happened?
With Liana killed, we won't be able to reseal Alhazard...

WAIT A SECOND! WHERE'S THE GAME OVER SCREEN?! WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?!
Well, I guess I'm going to push on with my one turn win then... :wtf:
Might as get Leon's unique attacking Lána dialogue while I'm at it.

Lána, forgive me. Even if I'm an Imperial soldier, I do not wish to fight you.

Please don't let it bother you. I'm no different... since I am a Descendant of Light.

I'm sorry...

When Lána dies to Leon's blade...

Ugh! N, no...

Lána...

Thank you for everyone, Leon. When I was under Böser's spell, you told everyone it wasn't me doing those things...
I... will never... forget... your... kindness...

Forgive me, Lána. Rest in peace...

There's nothing we can do. Our mission's a failure...
How could we let the Maiden of Darkness die?

And yet, the map continues on... :wtf:
Time to kill Jessica then.

This is a new era...
And we, the people, should fashion a new world to meet it.

I wish to test you, if you think you're worthy!

So, by killing Jessica now you get the Imperial Bad Ending, which I will put at the end of this update. I didn't know this at all and am greatly surprised that Masaya crafted an ending for the player being an idiot. However, let's rewind time and take this final battle on seriously using Egbert to capture the maidens and crushing all remaining resistance to the Empire.

Fireballs yo start off this time, with Egbert adding his own in before being sent on his merry way to Rohga courtesy of Hein. Instead of bothering with Jessica/Maidens this turn, I'll focus on dealing with the enemy nearby and use some Tornado magic to help clear out the remaining goons of Light.

Bye bye Ballista! Now for Egbert's men to get some kills.

I can't... die! Our kingdom...

You think I've... lost...?

:aaaaa: My power is... fading...

It's like shooting fish in a goddamn barrel! I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but the glitched Serpent Lord aura or Vargas combined with Ballistas is a very potent combo. Imelda's going to take a stab at ranged killing herself.

Arrrggghhh! My, my arm!

And that's all the killing I can do this turn, Imelda's Ballista is 1 square out of range of that from that Egbert was shooting earlier. Leon blocks up the chokepoint with Griffins. Anyway, compare the original map way up the top of this update with the carnage from this single turn.

All that remains are the units in the northwest, Jessica/Maidens + 1 generic in the east and that 4HP Sage. Let's see how they feel about all this.

So, you're finally here. I suppose this is the end for us.

By the way, the princess...?
What's happened to Princess Cherie?

I no longer feel Cherie's presence. They've probably...

drat it! This battle is for you, Princess! (CC:136)

Aaahhhh! Get them!

And a goddamn Earthquake! Look at the damage they did to us!

Lushiris be damned, they need to be stopped.

Level up! AT+1, MP+1, Attack2 was learned!

Who'd have thought there'd be a time where my best healer was a friggin' Demon Lord of all things. Desperate times and all that, I suppose. I'm going to Teleport Vargas in and weaken those mages so they can't pull that poo poo again.

Beautiful, now to teleport some other people around and smash the remaining generics.

Gaahhh-!

Even Hein's men get a go at the commander kill-a-thon!

At least... I still have a weapon...

Good for you, Giblets! And now, through the magic of Again, Leon can also move into optimal killing position :getin:

It's all over for me, too.

Not that they don't put up a fight, mind you.

But still, it's not enough. However, we still don't have the men needed to completely annihilate the enemy just yet.

Next turn, next turn...

With darkness destroyed, there's no longer an enemy to fight. But if you insist on governing by force...
We'll make sure you're worthy!

GUH! Heal2! Blast you, Liana!

Damage report: All bar one Ballista have been destroyed and Vargas is hurting.

Lady Jessica...
No, I'll refer to you as I did, as Master.

Egbert...

Consider this, Master. You cannot win. Won't you surrender?

It is a Descendant's duty to keep Langrisser from the wrong hands. I reject your offer.

Heh heh heh...
How interesting. Your refusal, at least, brings me a small pleasure. I've always dreamt of a wizard's duel with you...
And I've learnt much since your tutelage, Master Jessica, as I'll be pleased to show!

But before that, let's teleport Egbert to Liana and prevent a repeat of last turn's colossal cock-up.

Ah, Maiden of Light. Come to me!

Wh, what are you...?

Heh heh heh...
Now only the Maiden of Darkness remains. This should prove easy enough.

Save that for next turn, buddy. For now, casters need to be weakened.

Yes, I threw in a Force Heal2 from the Demon Lord in between steps. Vargas is just the best at weakening people even when he gets utterly obliterated. Octavian moves up and goes for a quick Grenadier kill.

You will not pass!

Egbert then summons another Demon Lord, dismissing the first one, who heals up his team. I'm pulling out all the tricks I can on this map.

Master, before my death, I've always wished to duel with you.
With the legendary sorceress who returned from beyond...

Of all my students, you possessed the greatest talent. Why did you waste it serving a tyrant?

In truth, I studied your magic to banish the darkness. With that goal complete, I pursue greater aims...
And wish to explore the limits of my power.

It seems you've acquired more power than you're fit to handle.

With my magic, I shall remove the shackles on my master...
Those known as Descendants of Light!

Now back to other side of things, with Leon and co.

:histdowns: I beg your pardon, Lady Jessica.

This tower's troops have been utterly destroyed...
I would never have thought they'd be this powerful...

:dealwithit:

Hein teleports in, so that he can make a move on those chests sitting there waiting to be plundered. Sonya does likewise and that's pretty much it. One more turn to go.

That... was dangerous. I forgot that Egbert is a squishy target. Phew, it's teleport time.

Ah, no thank you...

Ah, excellent. This has simplified things.

All that remains is to challenge my master...

But first, one last generic remains...

:histdowns: L, Lady Jessica...

Now, before Egbert fights his master, let's look at what was inside those treasure chests.

Will you take the stone?
Yes, No
As you take the stone, it emits a mysterious power.

Obtained Rune Stone.
You hear a lock being closed somewhere else.

Will you take the lance?
Yes, No

Obtained Inferno Lance.
You hear a lock being closed somewhere else.

I don't know what the lock being closed bits mean since those are the only two items available and they aren't mutually exclusive... so :shrug:
Time to finish the Imperial path, once and for all!

Aaahhh! No... I'm finished too...
With darkness defeated, I guess the world... no longer needs the Descendants...
Maybe... this was destiny...

Since it's the last music before the ending, let's have that guitar cover of Neo Holy War once again! (thanks again to EagerSleeper)

Master, you've fulfilled your duties admirably. Please rest in peace...
And leave this world in our hands.

Farewell, Jessica...

So this is the end of the Descendants of Light?
With this, we shall witness a new world...

Here's the Bad End divergence from killing the maidens:

We have the Sword of Light, the Sword of Darkness, and Maidens for each.

It pains me to say it... Without both of the maidens...
Alhazard shall never be able to be sealed again.

It was a very ambitious goal. Perhaps we were just being unrealistic...
From here on, we must act as Alhazard's guardian. It must never again fall into evil hands.

That's right. Now, to the Imperial Capital!

And so, we get the bad end which you can view here: Imperial Bad Ending
Kinda sucks, that the Empire must be eternally vigilant, which essentially means there will be eternal war as opportunists and men of all stripes attempt to claim Alhazard for themselves, thus allowing Böser to return once again. Also, CC: 137, someone unimportant said "drat you" in the bad end.

Now, back into the True Imperial End timeline:

We have the Sword of Light, the Sword of Darkness, and Maidens for each.
An impressive collection! We're finally finished.

And yet there remains much to be done...
A new era dawns! Let us return to the Imperial Capital!

And that ends this update, as next time we showcase the True Imperial Ending sequence both in screenshot and video!

MonotoneMorgan fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 15, 2015

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

Ending :commissar:
El Sallia's Unification

Video: True Imperial Path Ending Skip to the next video, if you watch this one.

With these two swords, Your Majesty's desires can finally be realised.

We finally have the power we need to unite our continent.

One land, one king! The age of war should be over for good.

We were also able to capture both maidens...
After uniting the continent, we can seal the Dark Blade so darkness never returns.

Hmmm... Octavian!

Apparently, Octavian is now a Hero.

Your actions during this trying time were impeccable. Having seen your skill, I bestow upon you the rank of general.
You will command the Radiant Dragon Knights, a Royal Guard.

Your Majesty... thank you! I shall prove to be reliable in your service!

:woop:

What!? R, really...?

Are you surprised, little boy?

I am going to become the Empire's ambassador and will aid the Kaiser's diplomacy.
I will work to benefit the continent, and the ensure this era remains free of war.

Our first battle has ended. I trust you shall continue to do your best to succeed.
For the sake of a peaceful tomorrow, go forth!

Yes, my Liege!

*fade to black*

Get them! These guys are the only thing between us and our booty!

:yarr: Th, the Rayguard Empire!?

Who cares!? Kill them too! Ha ha!

Ugh! My, my legs are...

It seems I overestimated you.

:yarr: Die! You bastards! (CC:138)

:yarr: H, how can this be...!?

Now that you've witnessed our power, do you still plan to continue this fight?

How strong...! Th, they're... too much!

If you fools are looking for a swift end, then by all means, keep fighting!

Why make us spill more blood? Give up and surrender!

Fine...!

We surrender...

Another nation fell to us easily.

You speak too soon.
Until the day El Sallia is free of all war, we can never rest.

Until we've wiped the continent clean of war...?
We have already come so far... El Sallia's age of peace is just over the horizon!

*fade to black*

With Octavian's team and Alhazard, the Empire successfully achieved its goal of unifying the continent. With both the great Langrisser and the dreaded Alhazard, the Empire was invincible. Octavian's contributions were recognised and he became General of the Empire's Radiant Dragon Knights.

Hein followed Octavian and sided with the Empire. Destroying Kalxath's Army of Light was tough on his emotions. However, Hein firmly believed in the Kaiser's vision of an ideal world. Without a doubt, the support Hein brought to the field of war wrought terror upon his enemies. Though Hein's performance on the battlefield was average, his magic proved useful in the war. Perhaps from overestimating his own powers, he frequently injured himself in battle. Almost losing his life a few times, Hein decided it was for the best to avoid conflict and settled down. One day, after several years passed, Hein created his own laboratory in a remote hamlet. It was here that he learnt the secret spell of Rebirth, the same spell Jessica used to live through the generations of man. No one is sure if Hein decided to use the spell or not, but he has not been heard from for some time.

We all know what happens next...

The roaming mercenary, Rohga, with Octavian and the Empire, united El Sallia at last. Although Rohga's skills were not top-notch, his mere presence was quite daunting. And he who ravaged his enemies bore not a single wound from this conflict. Rohga truly is, undeniably, El Sallia's ultimate swordsman. Breaking through all odds, Rohga never lost hope for Sonya, rushing to her side. Rohga successfully warmed her heart, and together they lent Octavian power to build peace for both demons and humans.

Leon's dream of a united land was inspired by the Rayguard Empire's Kaiser. The knight offered everything to the young Empire. With his exceptional tactics and chivalry he commanded the Imperial Blue Dragon Knights. Leon is now regarded as a legendary hero amongst the people of the Empire. Recognised for distinguished service, Bernhardt gave him Kalxath as his own territory. Kalxath's citizens had mixed feelings, but Leon won the hearts of the people with his superb governance. And so, Kalxath then became a prominent city on the continent and knew prosperity as it never had before.

Her beautiful, showy appearance and her cold, merciless nature helped Imelda maintain strict control over her division. After the Empire unified the continent, she gained a coastal territory from Bernhardt. She named the land to "The Kingdom of Imelda". Reigning as first Queen, she spent her days acting selfishly. Although skilled at military tactics, she could not govern as well as she wanted to. Due to this, her people lived in poverty, but rumour has it the people said nothing out of fear of retribution.

Is anyone surprised at this?

The tactics of the Blazing Dragon Army under Vargas were recognised. The corps' outstanding bravery and loyalty had been praised, and the General could hardly hold back his pride for his men. One day, Vargas was caught in a trap when heading to suppress a border skirmish. Numerous boulders dropped from ledges onto his troops. Vargas heroically used his own body as a shield to protect his comrades, saving everyone's lives... except his own...

:patriot: He died as he lived, being awesome. RIP you brave man of Rayguard, your family will be well looked after and live in peace.

Grand Sorcerer Egbert, head of the Dark Dragon Sorcerers, was aide to the Kaiser himself. He has been praised as one of El Sallia's most intelligent men. His magic and sharp insight influenced even politicians. Though he had great potential as the Kaiser's adviser, he depended on others in battle. Egbert finally succeeded and fulfilled his dream of wiping darkness from the world... However, due to the forbidden magic Egbert wielded in order to fight off the darkness, his soul deteriorated over time. Egbert was able to live longer by abstaining from using magic after El Sallia's unification. He used his wisdom for peace and due to his commitment and ability, he was praised as the greatest sage of the continent.

I'm kinda glad Egbert gets to basically become his Master after all that's gone down. A great sage and a man of peace, a much better outcome then he could have possibly hoped for.

Her big brother Rohga finally reached her heart, and Sonya gladly joined the fight for continental unification. Many had great expectations for the new member, though sadly, she let them down. Through her painful memories and injuries, Sonya grew to fear blood and slowly quit fighting. What awaited her were the cold reaction of humans. For she who carries the blood of demons, peace is still far away.

:smith: Sonya can never catch a break. Oh well, I plan for her to have a very happy ending when she joins us again.

Video: Staff Credits Roll

So the Imperial Path... a bit more straight forward than the Light path was. We betrayed our friends, mowed down all who opposed us in a bloody campaign of invasion and brute military might, and destroyed the darkness but not in the way destiny intended. Personally, I rather enjoyed playing it this time around as when I played it last time, I rushed my way through and missed a lot of the interesting tidbits that we saw. What was missing though, is what the bloody hell happened to the Maidens!? Did Leon and Lána hook up? Did Liana forgive Octavian and make future Imperial storm troopers? That one thing does frustrate me, given that they had a bad end for killing them, so feel free to invent your own epilogue regarding those two.

I will miss having Vargas and Leon though, since they'll be enemies from this point onward. Imelda/Egbert, I don't mind losing so much since they were more utility/support casters and thus, are quite easy to replace. Chasing royalty really was the right choice, as it allowed me to show off Alhazard as an item which given Böser will most likely be the final boss of the "chasing skirts" scenario, that was a good call.

Anyway, a big thanks again to everyone (old and new) for coming along with me on the ride through the path of domination and subjugation that is the Imperial path. There's still the mirror world updates to go, wherein Sonya will be killed off for reals and Jessica dealt with first. Still, whilst I work on those please remember that there are still two competitions ongoing: the curse counter which is sitting pretty at 138 and the fanwork competition which will win naming rights for the Chaos Hero.

So far, Mehauyael's winning that by virtue of being the only entrant, so if you want to name Chaos Fighter/Octavian and perhaps, suggest an extra feature I can add to his portrait (like Octavian's X scar), get busy! Lastly, thanks for sticking with me so far, it's been an up and down year for the LP but there is still plenty more to come!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Wait, Egbert gets to actually use his villain super-kidnapping powers even when player controlled?
Very nice.

Goddammit Sonia, you really can't catch a break, can you :smith:? At least next iteration we'll force a break to be there for you to catch, but seriously, we shouldn't have to start ripping spines in Boser name for that.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
What I really like about these games (continuing to the Growlansers) is that they seem to plan for a bunch of eventualities you'd usually expect to get a gameover from, and instead you get a whole different story branch. That's really cool.

As for Lana and Liana in the True Imperial End, I'd say that Lana ends up with Leon, while Liana refuses to be anywhere near Octavian because if you win a thousand battles and betray your allies only once, you're still a traitor. I'm hoping I remember the sisters right here.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Omobono posted:

Goddammit Sonia, you really can't catch a break, can you :smith:? At least next iteration we'll force a break to be there for you to catch, but seriously, we shouldn't have to start ripping spines in Boser name for that.

I don't think I've ever seen the alternate versions of her ending for if she gets more kills and/or never falls in battle. She joins so late and so underlevelled that it's really easy to get her killed by accident if you try to use her at all.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

At least she still has Rohga, the poor girl.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So some random no-name chumps will surrender easily, but we can't get any of the supposed forces of good to stop killing?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

So some random no-name chumps will surrender easily, but we can't get any of the supposed forces of good to stop killing?

The forces of good will never surrender to tyranny! :colbert:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Glazius posted:

The forces of good tend to be a bit :downs:, it's in the job description somewhere.

To be less flippant, this is an epic story. No name chumps are cowards and will entertain surrendering to overwhelming force, while the sheer badassness that allows guys and gals like Bernhardt, Jessica or Octavian to make history also makes them far too inflexible to accept defeat graciously: with their shield or on their shield.

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

I'm glad you all enjoyed the end of the Imperial Path. In good news, the mirror world updates are still coming along albeit, at a slow but steady pace.

However, it is now a time for change and in order to do that, we need a new hero:

Someone brave and bold enough to do what needs to be done, no matter the cost.
One that believes wholly in the power of his arms and naught else.
A man able to stand and tell everyone that humanity's has had it's time.
That the mess they made of El Sallia, means they are no longer deserving of a place on the continent.
Now, arise my hero of darkness and lash out at the world!

:siren: Everyone, please give your suggestions for potential Chaos Hero names & facial features to match :siren:

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MonotoneMorgan posted:

I'm glad you all enjoyed the end of the Imperial Path. In good news, the mirror world updates are still coming along albeit, at a slow but steady pace.

However, it is now a time for change and in order to do that, we need a new hero:

Someone brave and bold enough to do what needs to be done, no matter the cost.
One that believes wholly in the power of his arms and naught else.
A man able to stand and tell everyone that humanity's has had it's time.
That the mess they made of El Sallia, means they are no longer deserving of a place on the continent.
Now, arise my hero of darkness and lash out at the world!

:siren: Everyone, please give your suggestions for potential Chaos Hero names & facial features to match :siren:

Name: Timmy
Features: Blood-red face, horns, pig snout, gigantic canine teeth sticking out at obscene angles, pustules and tumors all over. And a smile. (I know it would not all fit into the image, but I can dream, eh?)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The agent of Chaos should be named Vorkken. He'll have light-purplish skin, blond hair, pointy ears, a third eye (that unfortunately will always be covered by the hair :( ), and in his non-sad facial expressions he'll be smirking.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer
He should be named Sam, and he should have a bitchin' scar over one eye.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm torn, but I think I'm going to recommend Robin and suggest white hair, half-lidded eyes, and a toothy grin, which should be suitably evil.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mehuyael posted:

The agent of Chaos should be named Vorkken. He'll have light-purplish skin, blond hair, pointy ears, a third eye (that unfortunately will always be covered by the hair :( ), and in his non-sad facial expressions he'll be smirking.

This is the right choice, my AV compels me. Also, I've gotta say, the Imperial ending worked out well and Egbert is a pretty cool dude. I thought it was a way better story than the Light path!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Mehuyael posted:

I have to vote for this. But won't it also make Hein into Chewgi?

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

Here's the current list of suggestions:

Timmy:

Vorkken:

Sam:

Robin:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sam and Vorkken are clearly the only choices possible.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Sam and Vorkken are clearly the only choices possible.

Yep, but also, I forgot Vorkken's eyes! They should be black, and the whites should be red.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
David, a dark haired gentleman with glasses who is unfalliably polite and formal, and is almost scarily calm and pleasant even as the world burns around him. Has literal skeletons in his closet.

Brony Hunter fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 27, 2015

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

MonotoneMorgan posted:

Here's the current list of suggestions:

Vorkken:

This is the one. Vorkken or bust.

rodomontade
Oct 10, 2013
Sam is the best because eyepatches are always the best. :colbert:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That Vorken is pretty good. Let's go with that one.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Everyone posted:

Vorkken

Yes, we must do this!

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012
Have people forgotten Garland so soon? He must be selected: Gar is in his name, and in his blood.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hi, I drew a picture of our new Chaos hero before we had picked names, but either way, he's excited to lead the way in a new blood-soaked adventure! :kiddo:

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
So for those who haven't heard yet, it looks like Masaya is reviving the Langrisser series with a new entry for the 3DS. Not much info yet though. I do wonder how it will turn out since most of the staff who worked on these games are in Atlus now, but we'll see!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

quote:

Langrisser's gameplay plays a bit like a mix of Fire Emblem (named characters are ‘leaders’ but no permadeath) and Advance Wars (expendable hired soldiers for each ‘leader’) with weapon/class triangles, ranged attacks and field abilities but we’ll see more of that as we get stuck into the game.

This sounds like everything I've wanted from a turn based RPG on a handheld system, I hope the remake turns out well. :ohdear:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Boneless Jogger posted:

So for those who haven't heard yet, it looks like Masaya is reviving the Langrisser series with a new entry for the 3DS. Not much info yet though. I do wonder how it will turn out since most of the staff who worked on these games are in Atlus now, but we'll see!

It at least continues one Satoshi Urushihara tradition of super sexualizing the female characters, because both of the announced women don't wear anything resembling pants.

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

At least the armored lady has pauldrons, although she's not quite at the Imelda level but it's a start.

I am super pumped about this news, but also very well aware that my chances of playing it in English are next to zilch.
Re. update, it's almost all there with the reminder of Octavian's mirror world story and then finally, we can move onto...

a darker path.

(Love it EagerSleeper, it's brilliant!)

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

Mirror Imperial Path Pt 1
Can't Touch This

Alright, let's power through these mirror chapters! I'll mostly focus on getting the plot out and in the open, with some gameplay comments depending on if anything interesting occurs.

Scenario 17 - Get out of our way, Lester!

Böser's plot to use Rayguard as a pawn to release the full power of Chaos's Glory was foreseen by the sorcerer, Egbert. A severely wounded Böser and the Army of Light - now on the brink of annihilation - are all that remains in the Empire's way. Massing its forces for a final march to crush the remaining Descendants of Light, the company set off to realise Rayguard's future. The remnants of the Army of Light were encamped near the riverbank, guarded by Lester and a naval detachment.

Scenario 17 Pre-Battle/Deployment Cutscene

(CC:144)
Now, for the fighting to begin - basically, abuse teleport and get Vargas to smash the navy, Octavian and Leon to deal with the ground forces. Everyone else is support.

I don't have time to teach you weaklings how to fight.

You're going to fight or talk, punks?

This can't be true... Me... dead?

NEXT!

You gently caress heads want a piece of me? (CC:145)

I didn't expect this... C, cold... So cold...

How is this possible? M, my naval troops!?

You think you can take us with such pathetic tactics?

Shut up! All men, charge!

I didn't know they were so strong...

Turn 2...

Move fast and strike with a concerted blow. Don't mess this up!

Leave it to me!

Okay, this is it! Let's make 'em fear we salty sailors!

Hit hard and don't let them catch their breath!

Let's go, break through!

I won't let you pass. Your ambitions end here.

:golfclap: Well done, Lester. Well done but it's now our turn.

Give up, Lester!

You're kidding. You think I'll lose!?

I, I lost...

Uugghh...

Simply riveting stuff here. I feel this mission doesn't work as well as it does when you're riding on a high after killing Böser and getting to play with Alhazard. Ahh, well - them's the breaks, let's just keep plodding through, the story will be different hopefully.

Uugghh...
Is this the end...?

Ugggh-!
Heh heh heh... What a grave mistake... Heh...

Lester...

Octavian... Darkness will be stronger now than ever. Don't you think that's funny?
Here we are fighting and you're thinking this is the last time, this is it... But after your generation comes and goes, things will happen all over again.
No one ever listens to history and no one ever will. What do you know...

He then gives the exact same speech he gave to Egbert last time, pleading him not to fight Jessica. Only change is that he calls Egbert an rear end in a top hat - SCENARIO CLEAR! (CC:146)

Lester...

That man stood toe to toe with the Empire... through it all, he never ran.
You were a good soldier and a formidable rival, Lester.

Not to break the moment or anything, but this isn't the time to be sentimental. If we don't leave now, we'll lose our quarry.

drat right, I'm itching to kick some more rear end. Let's move it, shall we? (CC:147)

Farewell, my friend... and goodbye, my brother.

A very straight forward map, that is rather easy to complete. If we had taken our sweet time, on turn 5 reinforcements would have appeared and said little of value (no swears), so I didn't bother. If you really wanted to see that, please send me a PM and we will arrange something - alternately, you can fill in the blanks yourself using this template:

Now, let's move onto the next scenario.

Scenario 18 - Could you build a fortress whilst being pursued? The Army of Light sure can!

The Imperial troops, having finally cornered the Army of Light, were shocked to discover the light forces had erected a stronghold so quickly. The Army of Light constructed a small fortress on the sea that the company knew would be no easy task to breach. As friend and foe gathered along the shoreline, both sides knew this would be the final battle - regardless of who emerged victor.

Scenario 18 Pre-Battle/Deployment Cutscene

So, as always Teleport is broken as all hell. Too bad in the upcoming paths, it is far less abusable - well that and that I will be showing off alternate classes for guys like Rohga. Still look at this poo poo:

Suffice to say, all those men are trapped in an Octavian/Leon pincer... ignoring them outnumbering us of course. Go team! Kill them all!

You'll come all the way here!? No matter, we'll defeat you!

No.

What's all this blood... Uugghh... Ugh.

Sorry, old chap.

Obtained Magic Wand.

I'm finished...

Now for Octavian's end of the pincer.

You shall not pass!

:aaaaa: Jessica... It's up to you from here on...

Whilst that was an impressive display of pyromagic, unfortunately you ain't Gandalf, Mr Mage.

:histdowns: I'm grateful... to have played a part in... this climatic battle...

:kimchi: Aww, that's so cute. I almost regret my 'kill them all' stance for the sake of the LP now. All that remains is counter ambushing with Vargas.

F, gently caress... (CC:148)

M, my apologies! I couldn't avenge them...

After one turn of carnage, two generic units remain as well as Jessica & Cherie. Let's see if they have anything to say?

Almost time...
Everyone, counterattack!

Aaaahhhh! Now, let's take them out with one blow!

Please don't do anything reckless!

I won't let those Imperials think they can walk right in!
This area was peaceful before you bastards arrived! I won't forgive you! (CC:149)

Octavian, prepare to face my sword!

And that is that. Should wrap up this turn or the next. Leon moves to crush Cherie.

Show no mercy to the rebels, only to the women. That's my policy!

In your dreams!

Also, might as well chuck in Octavian vs Cherie dialogue here.

Cherie, stop this. I don't want to kill you!

What the hell are you suggesting? That I just give up? Keith, Aaron, Kalxath's men...
You want me to spit on their deaths!? I won't!
Only a selfish coward would think like you!

Actually you know what, dear reader? This is the goddamn mirror world and the objective states that only Jessica needs to die. Also, Cherie's death speech is the same as the normal world... so let's see if Masaya did something interesting with this player choice. Of course, that pirate is straight up hosed.

Don't be so conceited!

Foolish...

That Knight Master also dies but I forgot the screencap it.

P, Princess...

More gratuitous Teleporting later...
Once again, Octavian is ready to strike down his mentor figure and begin to guide his own fate... for the Empire!

Lady Jessica!

I had orders from Lushiris herself to guide the Descendants of Light.
But, somehow, it looks like this was their destiny... Cherie, I'm sorry I won't be by your side any longer.
But please, live. Leave this war behind you... and live as you please.
Live a happy life...
For my sake...

Yes, Jessica...

Egbert...
Please understand what I'm trying to accomplish. I need to wipe Böser and Chaos from the face of this world, to banish them eternally.

Master, you've fulfilled your duties admirably. Please rest in peace... and leave this world in our hands.

It's up to you now, Egbert, my student... I've done what I can...
Go now, peacefully...

Hmm, how could this happen twice...

And that's the scenario cleared. Now we just need to move on Velzeria and finish off Sonya/Böser to cap off this mirror world. But back to Octavian moping around.

Farewell Jessica. Farewell Cherie...

So the Descendants are no more? The end of an era...

Arguably, the Descendants still exist through the bloodlines of Octavian, Leon & Cherie but the Army of Light is definitely no more. Don't know if I'm being overly pedantic or that's an oversight by the translators.

A true warrior takes strength from his enemy's defeat.

Whew, that was quite a fight. Tomorrow, I'll need to take a load off.

I'm pretty excited!

I can't wait...!
Egbert, you said you'd teach me magic after the war, so let's have some teaching!

Think about it later, Hein.

AKA :fuckoff:

Hmmm, Laird's scout. What's wrong? Talk.

It's urgent! You must return to the Imperial Capital!
Castle Rayguard, it's... it's under attack by monsters!

:ohdear:

What the!? How can that be?

Our soldiers have been committed elsewhere, so we're very much outnumbered!
His Highness and Laird are commanding the defense! Please return immediately!

His Highness was an outstanding general before he ascended the throne.
Still, in a situation like this... even he'll need assistance. We must slay the monsters.
If you're thinking of a plan, then hurry up with it.

The enemies have powerful magicians as well. They're not ordinary monsters.

I know that well. Your horses look tired to death. We'll take care of this matter, so please get some rest.
Everyone, let's go! Make haste to Castle Rayguard!

Well, hot drat! We've some sweet divergence occurring here. If we give the Army of Light time, they fortify but if we give the Forces of Darkness breathing room, they attack our capital! On the other hand, by going after Jessica we've managed to spare Cherie from being put to the sword. The downside is now we get even less time to raise Sonya, should we recruit her. Oh well.

Let's tie a bow on this mirror world next time, where we'll save the day for Rayguard and then move on to quash Böser once and for all.

MonotoneMorgan fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 10, 2015

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh well, goodbye Jessica. Here's a song in memoriam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tngC3EHx9nI

It's in Hebrew so probably the only word you'll understand is 'Jessica'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sigh. Who left the dark priest unattended this time?

• Locked thread