Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

We've fused with the goons.jpg thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012

I thought Iron Liz was a transsexual for the longest time.

Graceful Flop
Feb 1, 2014

Dive in.
Used to be kinda into the whole internet review thing, started realizing with one series after another they tend to be kind of dumb.

At this point I'm only really interested in Brows Held High and Rap Critic, both seem to be more sane, more familiar with their media of choice, and better comedians than a lot of the other stuff out there (as some people have already mentioned with BHH.) Lindsey's cool too but she seems pretty focused on Game of Thrones recaps right now which I don't care about. Brad Jones seems like a bro but his reviews just don't do much for me.

Also Extra Credits is kinda :spergin: but they have some good recommendations on actual, y'know, books on game design... Buried in one of their mailbag episodes from at least 2 years ago. Even as History/Discovery type brain candy for armchair indie devs, they're a league above Game Theory which is just bad.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Graceful Flop posted:

Also Extra Credits is kinda :spergin: but they have some good recommendations on actual, y'know, books on game design... Buried in one of their mailbag episodes from at least 2 years ago. Even as History/Discovery type brain candy for armchair indie devs, they're a league above Game Theory which is just bad.

Extra Credits really need to ditch the grating high-pitched voice gimmick. It's worse than trying to watch Film Brain.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sage is alright if you like anime, as is JO. She's more into modern stuff while Sage does old 80s and 90s shows. Unlike doug walker, these two actually know what they're talking about. If you ever watch one of the NC crossover videos with either one of these people, its embarassing to see just how talentless doug walker is next to them. He's so bad that he makes a fat metalhead wearing a flatcap bitching about anime adaptations look sophisticated

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

looks like a greasy dude whos way into metal

loving grody brody

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
oh yeah more linkara goodness here if you wanna hear him lisp through why you should hypocritcally watch his ads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67ZZUSpeS4k

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
what the gently caress happened to RLM

their Star Wars reviews were good and then their movie review show was OK but it kept getting worse, i stopped watching around the time they were complaining that Gravity sucked because it didn't open with a training montage on earth and half the episode is their unfunny sketches about hipsters and old people

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

...of SCIENCE! posted:

their Star Wars reviews were good and then their movie review show was OK but it kept getting worse until they were complaining that Gravity sucked because it didn't open with a training montage on earth and half the episode is their unfunny sketches

huhhh? they liked gravity as far as i remember

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

...of SCIENCE! posted:

their Star Wars reviews were good and then their movie review show was OK but it kept getting worse until they were complaining that Gravity sucked because it didn't open with a training montage on earth and half the episode is their unfunny sketches

just skip the first and last 3-5 minutes of each half in the bag, the reviews themselves are still pretty good usually

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
the reviews only appear good because they're contrasted with the painfully unfunny skits and jokes

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

I'm the Nostalgia Critic. I married this so you don't have to.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Archer666 posted:

holy moley

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

butplug accident posted:

the reviews only appear good because they're contrasted with the painfully unfunny skits and jokes

You're that guy who wrote the dissertation refuting their Star Wars videos aren't you.

RLM did peak at the SW and Star Trek reviews, but its Best of the Worst episodes are pretty decent in making fun at lovely movies.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Archer666 posted:

Wow. I didn't know Nostalgia Critic was in his 40s.

Kind of embarrassing if you ask me.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy posted:

You're that guy who wrote the dissertation refuting their Star Wars videos aren't you.

RLM did peak at the SW and Star Trek reviews, but its Best of the Worst episodes are pretty decent in making fun at lovely movies.

best of the worst is terrible, showing a clip from a bad movie and going "haha this bad movie is so bad you guys :iamafag:" while Rich Evans's pallid baby face contorts with laughter is poo poo that wouldn't even cut it on The Guy With The Glasses

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011

Is that the Linkara guy?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Rambling Robot posted:

Is that the Linkara guy?

no but they dated for a while

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

...of SCIENCE! posted:

best of the worst is terrible, showing a clip from a bad movie and going "haha this bad movie is so bad you guys :iamafag:" while Rich Evans's pallid baby face contorts with laughter is poo poo that wouldn't even cut it on The Guy With The Glasses

wow imagine thinking like this

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

happyhippy posted:

their starwars voiceover reviews are one of the few things i enjoyed from them. but half in the bag is simply terrible and all their jokes fall flat and follow the same rhythms. and their opinions are never insightful or funny. even that jack and jill episode they could have made fun of the whole inbred publicity scam that is hollywood but of course they do nothing of the sort

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Chuck Tanner posted:

wow imagine thinking like this

people with actual friends don't need to watch other people laughing at bad movies

they can do it themselves

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
Pretty much the only person on that site that I can tolerate is Phelous. I could do without the lame skits and stuff, but some of his reviews are actually fun to watch. Plus he's a Silent Hill nerd. And (old) Silent Hill is cool.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Who's the fat TWGWTG guy? Like I mean really fat

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

No joke, I think he's The Fat Gamer

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax
whats the irate gamer been up to? he was always fun to hate

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Nostalgia Critic "Reviews" are always "THIS MOVIE SUCKED! ....But did it suck? Maybe this movie didn't suck. Or maybe it did suck. Thanks for watching."

The last video I watched of his was "Was JUNO really that good?" and his answer was "A lot of people liked it, but then people didn't like it. Maybe it was good, or maybe it was bad. Thanks for watching."

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Help Im Alive posted:

oh wait, yeah, there was this dude who was so fat that there aren't any pictures of him where he's not taking up like 3/4 of his couch
who was that

edit: sean fausz. daaaayumn.

Cubone fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 22, 2014

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

timp posted:

I used to watch a lot of NC back in 2008 and then I saw that crazy longass review where there were tons and tons of internet reviewers there and it was scripted. AVGN was there and you could tell he was kind of embarrassed to be around all these other ACTUAL nerds

I think the only reason I still like AVGN is he seemed to grow up and adapt with his audience. Around the time all of us in the AVGN thread were like "monkey cheese poop jokes aren't funny anymore, cut that poo poo out James" was around the time he actually started to scale it back a lot. Looks like NC's still doing the same poo poo he did 6 years ago.

https://www.cinemassacre.com do yourself a favor, go here and click on stuff that isn't AVGN. There's lots to choose from

You're absolutely right. James did manage to mature throughout AVGN's run. All he did was scale down the character - and make it 1/10th of the site. His (classic)horror knowledge is second to none, and his videos with Mike come across as "real" instead of playing up for the camera. He still goes to the "nerd well" from time to time, but the site has moved beyond that. His nerd videos are less of a crutch than when he started. His movie will probably be poo poo- and would have bought a ticket but it sold out where I would have gone. He's provided entertainment for 10 years and to pay for one "15 dollar ticket" seems like a fair penance.

I'm surprised you guys haven't talked about Pat the NES Punk who I find really annoying.

Archer666 posted:

:drat:

While Game Trailers has done a LOT of stuff: their shining achievement is POP FICTION. Essentially Mythbusters for videogames, and it's a lot better than it sounds

Some get more in depth than others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQkFgMu_B8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U34MFcJdGCo

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Remember that guy who wanted to join Team That Guy With The Glasses and become an internet superstar reviewer and so he sent them a video of him reviewing "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" alongside drawings of his Sonic The Hedgehog Original Character DO NOT STEAL that was voiced by him?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Remember that guy who wanted to join Team That Guy With The Glasses and become an internet superstar reviewer and so he sent them a video of him reviewing "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" alongside drawings of his Sonic The Hedgehog Original Character DO NOT STEAL that was voiced by him?

no post links

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

Cubone posted:

no post links

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

I want to see this.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainHollywood posted:

While Game Trailers has done a LOT of stuff: their shining achievement is POP FICTION. Essentially Mythbusters for videogames, and it's a lot better than it sounds

Pop Fiction and DidYouKnowGaming make me sad because they show that these dumb internet personalities are totally capable of making interesting and entertaining videos about games but don't

CaptainButtSmack
Oct 21, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

wait is this from SA or what

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur
The Cinemassacre series on the old Godzilla movies is really good. I never had many video games as a kid so the nostalgia factor of his AVGN videos are lost on me, but I'm a huge Godzilla nerd and I still rewatch a few random videos of his on them if I have a few minutes to kill.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Gorefluff posted:

The Cinemassacre series on the old Godzilla movies is really good. I never had many video games as a kid so the nostalgia factor of his AVGN videos are lost on me, but I'm a huge Godzilla nerd and I still rewatch a few random videos of his on them if I have a few minutes to kill.

From what it seems - it's Mike who actually had a lot of the other systems and games. And put them in so his "nerd credibility" was raised.

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur

CaptainHollywood posted:

From what it seems - it's Mike who actually had a lot of the other systems and games. And put them in so his "nerd credibility" was raised.

That makes sense. It's why James is actually pretty personable and charismatic out of character. Some of his videos on making movies or reading letters from fans are really interesting and funny. Mike is annoying though. That voice. THAT VOICE.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Genetic Toaster posted:

Extra Credits really need to ditch the grating high-pitched voice gimmick. It's worse than trying to watch Film Brain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw

I like to think he made this poo poo.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
James is practically a film historian and in another era would likely be writing tons of boring essays and books about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011

Skeleton King posted:

looks like a greasy dude whos way into metal

loving grody brody

iron liz has a tvtropes page (of course!).

some quotes:

" Bifauxnen: Iron Liz passes off as rather androgynous at first glance, and her voice does not help matters much, but upon closer examination her gender makes itself known."

" Woman of a Thousand Voices: Her vocal range allows her to pull off both male and female characters pretty well.

Ironically, her male voices sound quite natural, but her female voices don't work as well."

also:

"Furry Fandom: A skunk in her Ironclaw review." :jerkbag:

• Locked thread