Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I also saw snowpiecer while high on marijuana but I did not think it was that great. it was just kind of ok really. Cool set design and costumes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

I read the synopsis for the movie and the french book it was based on and it honestly makes no sense.

I mean even in the barest semblance of context it literally makes no sense at all. It's the most hackneyed "Hey guys classism exists." thing possible.

I think the movie is more about the style and just watching crazy poo poo going down more than making any kind of actual point about society or whatever.

and it is cool looking but the characters are extremely generic and uninteresting. Tilda Swinton is pretty entertaining I guess but the main dude is basically Jack from Lost with even less personality and Ed Harris tries to play that "overcivilized" type of villain but just comes off as bored.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Duck and burger posted:

Can someone explain why they didn't just jettison everyone in the back? They weren't laboring or anything you normally expect an underclass to do. This question went unanswered and I was not high enough to just go with it.

the underclass people have kids all the time and they use those kids to take the place of parts of the train that break

not that it makes a whole lot more sense but that is the reason they gave

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Buce posted:

who maintains the track and structures? you need lube on the gauge-face and friction management on top of rail; due to the scenario youd clearly need a vehicle-mounted applicator, probably a solid-stick, and you'd have to manufacture the product on the train. despite that, wheels need to be retrued (generously say every 1MM miles cuz we assume distributed power and A/PTC optimization because it's the near-future) to be kept in conformal contact with the rail, especially since the rail receives no grinding or milling maintenance. Also assuming an absolute minimum of curving as per shinkansen specs.

The track doesn't see heavy traffic, but suffers constant environmental degradation from the snow/thaw/sublimation cycle. Speaking of rail, there are problems with rail-neutral-temperature. Since the snowpiercer uses existing global rail lines (heavy haul, transit and high speed apparently) the RNT is not calibrated to the suddenly freezing global temperatures -- rail breaks in dark-territory would plague the system and the system is apparently (see the iceflow track obstructions) entirely in dark-territory. Luckily, the rarity of traffic probably spares the rail from rolling contact fatigue, weld batter, plastic flow, gauge-face collapse. But then cold weather welds would of course introduce long-wave corrugations, adding to the already huge ductile stress of the rail.

As for vehicle dynamics. Outside footage of the snowpiercer shows massive carbody hunting, for a high speed line, but indoor footage shows zero lateral perturbations. Clearly the trucks and suspension systems are absorbing 100% of the implied forces. Since the snowpiercer isnt suspended by high-tech magnetic bearings (see the undercarriage shots), its fair to say that the springs and wedges of the suspension system require constant maintenance which they don't get.

the poor people's babies fix all that stuff too, probably

• Locked thread