Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

you are pitifully loving retarded if youre honestly blaming our pitifully underfunded space program on "republicans" lol

yeah didn't you read my post, redshirt? republicans wanna go to the moon because they can have slaves there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
no, it's because they want to go home

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Waltzing Along posted:

no, it's because they want to go home

so they're literally moonbats

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
thats as good a reason as any imo lets go back to the moon

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
poo poo's full of single celled organisms so will the moon poop evolve into a threat?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

you are pitifully loving retarded if youre honestly blaming our pitifully underfunded space program on "republicans" lol

How so? Nixon ended Apollo, and Regan's (and W's) deficits ensured we'll never have the money to try again.

Tell me how I'm wrong.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A misanthrope posted:

yeah didn't you read my post, redshirt? republicans wanna go to the moon because they can have slaves there

I don't think Newt was being serious. As his entire Presidential run was not serious, nor will it be when he tries again in 2016.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City posted:

Of all the conspiracy theories out there I kind of want the 'fake moon landing' one to be real because of how awesome it is.

Also because we bothered to do it multiple times, each more ludicrous than the last. "Let's fake golfing on the moon lol".

Well the more grounded version of the conspiracy was that they weren't going to make JFK's 'end of the decade' deadline so Apollo 11 was fake while later landings were the real deal.

I like the conspiracy theory that Apollo 13's problems were a hoax to show the public how insanely dangerous these missions were.

The moon could be a good source for some stuff that you can get on Earth (titanium, uranium) but the initial costs are huge.

We'll probably developing asteroid mining first because that doubles as a weapon (which is why we went to the moon in the first place - competing with the Russians to build the biggest possible rocket for delivering nukes)

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

redshirt posted:

How so? Nixon ended Apollo, and Regan's (and W's) deficits ensured we'll never have the money to try again.

Tell me how I'm wrong.

Private sector would have commercialized the whole solar system by now if liberals would reduce taxes and allow homesteading.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

redshirt posted:

Bringing asteroids into orbit is fairly simple. It's the mining/manufacturing that's hard.

You still have to get material from the Earth to the Moon. Why go that BIG extra step when you can just build in orbit?

Sure, it'd be primitive at first, but I assume the first space mining will be all about bringing that stuff back to earth. Once the Earth's economy has absorbed this, a new space age can begin and proper asteroid mining can begin - i.e. building infrastructure in space from the asteroid itself.

The moon is completely unneessary for this.

the material required to go to the moon and set up mining there is not much compared to the material required to go out to an asteroid and bring it back to earth. the fuel alone is astronomical (ROFL). one thing the moon has is fuel. another thing the moon has is physical structural materials. a little bit of mining equipment makes a lot of bit of building material and fuel supply.

trust me on this one geezer if we both live to see it i'll bet you the moon is used as an intermediate base.

my plans have been laid for a long time. first the moon, then the asteroid belt, then the outer moons, then the galaxy.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
yay!

funky psychic families

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the world will end when a mining company accidentally launches an asteroid at earth

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

Billions of dollars so some dude can say "lol I'm on the moon"

gg NASA

u stupid human being ur posting on the internet because of all the scientific discoveries made by the deelopment of the tech required to get to the moon

so i guess it turned out for the worse after all

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

nomadologique posted:

another thing the moon has is physical structural materials. a little bit of mining equipment makes a lot of bit of building material and fuel supply.

Also the moon has caves that could hypothetically be sealed and pressurized as quick and cheap radiation-proof shelter.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

didnt read the thread but did someone post that video where he punches some dude for saying it was a hoax?.. if not post it tia

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nomadologique posted:

the material required to go to the moon and set up mining there is not much compared to the material required to go out to an asteroid and bring it back to earth. the fuel alone is astronomical (ROFL). one thing the moon has is fuel. another thing the moon has is physical structural materials. a little bit of mining equipment makes a lot of bit of building material and fuel supply.

trust me on this one geezer if we both live to see it i'll bet you the moon is used as an intermediate base.

my plans have been laid for a long time. first the moon, then the asteroid belt, then the outer moons, then the galaxy.

What? Walk me through your logic, since from what I know the resources required to bring an asteroid into Earth orbit are reasonable (big rear end rocket, space craft, some kind of towing apparatus) and in fact this is currently in NASA's horizon, as opposed to a MOON BASE which would require tons of material and human habitations and multiple launches (dozens).

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

didnt read the thread but did someone post that video where he punches some dude for saying it was a hoax?.. if not post it tia

that was the other one buzz armstrong scrub, omg learn your asstronauts

here though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wcrkxOgzhU

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

Big Beef City posted:

Anybody here play that game that's like monopoly except in space and you've got like, fuel concerns and mining bases instead of properties?

My mom and I used to play that sometimes when I was a kid it was cool as hell

whats it called?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

redshirt posted:

Not really. It's not concentrated and would require massive resources to extract. It would be easier to get it from ocean water here on sweet, sweet Earth.

Even easier to breed tritium from lithium and let the tritium decay into He-3

There is literally no reason to go into space for economical reasons. If platinum bullion was sitting on the moon in nice stacks it would be too expensive to go pick it up.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I am an expert, let me debunk space for you

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
more people have watched videos "proving" the moon landing is a hoax than the actual moon landing itself.

gently caress this gay earth

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

SunAndSpring posted:

more people have watched videos "proving" the moon landing is a hoax than the actual moon landing itself.

gently caress this gay earth

they all envy america's ingenuity and courage

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

redshirt posted:

Tell me how I'm wrong.

lol you have some sort of idiotic belief than apparently if only the democrats held office then our space programmmm!!!

see, as you profess, the democrats are the party of enlightenment and if you vote for obama we will surely have a well funded NASA!

:ironicat:

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

How do we even know there's a real moon to begin with?

Buzz Aldren says the moon is real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xLN5-1QGRM&t=57s

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

He sure does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wcrkxOgzhU

Imagine putting your life on the line and making history and some crazy idiot tells you your biggest accomplishment in life is a lie.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

NihilismNow posted:

Even easier to breed tritium from lithium and let the tritium decay into He-3

There is literally no reason to go into space for economical reasons. If platinum bullion was sitting on the moon in nice stacks it would be too expensive to go pick it up.

That is because we still use chemical fuel to launch rockets, like cavemen, and not use an Orion Gun.

And money shouldn't be the factor in some things. Whatever happened to the " Because it was there" attitude?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!

Johnny Aztec posted:

And money shouldn't be the factor in some things. Whatever happened to the " Because it was there" attitude?

Ronald Raygun, Iraq and the F-35 Lightning II

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol you have some sort of idiotic belief than apparently if only the democrats held office then our space programmmm!!!

see, as you profess, the democrats are the party of enlightenment and if you vote for obama we will surely have a well funded NASA!

:ironicat:

Yes, it truly is that simple, and has nothing to do with the rabid anti-science party in Congress.

Keep believing your Republicans care about things like "The Moon", and "The Sun".

Aug 4, 2010

the movie landings were faked by stanley kubrick, front screen projection anyone? wake up idiots

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't really like the Dems all the much but I can agree that the Republicans are evil fuckers who defund poo poo like NASA so they can redirect the funds to their buddies and their buddies' companies all in the name of "CUTTING GOVERNMENT SPENDING." Also as a side effect they tank the economy.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Kombotron posted:

whats it called?

I looked it up.

It's called 'Solar Quest'.

Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solarquest

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
that's what the lizard people want us to think.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

congrats to neil armstrong, who brought strong sack and went to the moon, an unimaginably hosed up deed

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

I don't really like the Dems all the much but I can agree that the Republicans are evil fuckers who defund poo poo like NASA so they can redirect the funds to their buddies and their buddies' companies all in the name of "CUTTING GOVERNMENT SPENDING." Also as a side effect they tank the economy.

gently caress Republicans

Go to Callisto.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
i hope mr gorsky got lucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Neil Armstrong and wife lost a young daughter to a brain tumor, and Neil named a crater on the Moon after her, so, ironically, her name will live on hopefully forever, while her body only lasted 3 years.

• Locked thread