Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

TheDead1 posted:

whats some good documentaries on the landing, watched in the shadow of the moon not to long ago was a good watch

I like the series "Moon Machines"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Mining what?

And low gravity construction for what?

Believe you me, I'd like to see mankind settle the solar system, but there ain't much happening on the moon.

Now, if you were to say those same things about asteroid mining, there's a future there. Because of $$$$$.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

We'll get back to the moon someday. Just wait until some loving billionaire obsessed with Star Trek wants to have his dream wedding. I can't wait for the Offbeat Bride wedding where they use Lego centerpieces and hire their celebrant to read like the priest from the Princess Bride for their low-grav Moondance wedding.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

redshirt posted:

Mining what?

Believe you me, I'd like to see mankind settle the solar system, but there ain't much happening on the moon.

Now, if you were to say those same things about asteroid mining, there's a future there. Because of $$$$$.

Helium3, Isotope which can combust & be used as fuel. Loads of it under moon's crust. Worth trillions

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
can you own slaves on the moon?

because if you can there's gonna be a loving exodus when rich republicans find out

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SirEvelynTremble posted:

Helium3, Isotope which can combust & be used as fuel. Loads of it under moon's crust. Worth trillions

Not really. It's not concentrated and would require massive resources to extract. It would be easier to get it from ocean water here on sweet, sweet Earth.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Bicyclops posted:

We'll get back to the moon someday. Just wait until some loving billionaire obsessed with Star Trek wants to have his dream wedding. I can't wait for the Offbeat Bride wedding where they use Lego centerpieces and hire their celebrant to read like the priest from the Princess Bride for their low-grav Moondance wedding.

it's already happening with elon musk and spacex

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
If you think about it it's too bad the CIA killed Stanley Kubrick because he was going to divulge the details about how he faked the moon landing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"one regret we had from our moon wedding was that my aunt evelyn, and indeed everyone except for us, was unable to attend due to health concerns involved with space travel. anyway, here's a video of bill and i exchanging triforce rings on the spot where armstrong first exited the lander."

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
weird

they picked that cornfed goofyass lookin motherfucker to make humankind's first extraterrestrial perambulation? i don't get it

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

quote:

Due to the effort and energy needed to mine, heat, and transport Helium-3 back to Earth, it will not be a cheap energy source, but a clean alternative, one we might have to turn to in the next 100 years. Frequent trips to the Moon may also open up the lunar tourism industry, as passengers travel along with canisters of Helium-3 destined for use in fusion reactions back on Earth.

http://io9.com/5908499/could-helium-3-really-solve-earths-energy-problems

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!
...and the fucker could really kick out the jambs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKQmWS8p0Tg

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Of all the conspiracy theories out there I kind of want the 'fake moon landing' one to be real because of how awesome it is.

Also because we bothered to do it multiple times, each more ludicrous than the last. "Let's fake golfing on the moon lol".

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My favorite is that people who actually believe the moon landing was faked are also the sort of people who believe in UFOs.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

This proves nothing other than that someone wrote some words on a wikipedia page. Have i ever tasted touched or smelt the moon? No. Have you? Doubtful. But oh yeah were supposed to believe that this white thing in the sky is really a big ball of space rock and that spacemen just walk around on it.

goddamn soulless britons with their skepticism and bonedry humor get out

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

hail satan yall

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

redshirt posted:

Mining what?

water (plus heavy water), carbon, heavy metals -- good first stage production facility for getting to the asteroid mining, buddy (where ya think all those asteroid mining rigs will come from?)

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nomadologique posted:

water (plus heavy water), carbon, heavy metals -- good first stage production facility for getting to the asteroid mining, buddy (where ya think all those asteroid mining rigs will come from?)

From the asteroids themselves. Why set up an infrastructure on the moon in order to build an infrastructure in high Earth orbit? Makes no sense. Drag an asteroid into orbit, use that for everything you need.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

quote:

"During the transmission of the Moon landing of Armstrong and Aldrin, who journeyed to the Moon in an American spaceship, two minutes of silence occurred in which the image and sound were interrupted. NASA insisted that this problem was the result of one of the television cameras which had overheated, thus interfering with the reception.

This unexpected problem surprised even the most qualified of viewers who were unable to explain how in such a costly project, one of the most essential elements could break down... Some time after the historic Moon landing, Christopher Craft, director of the base in Houston, made some surprising comments when he left NASA.

Author Sam Pepper (otherwise unidentified and he has since vanished) gave this version of "the top secret tape transcript" from "a leak close to the top", as follows:

Moon: Those are giant things. No, no, no - this is not an optical illusion. No one is going to believe this !
Houston: What ... what ... what ? What the h--- is happening ? What's wrong with you ?
Moon: They're here under the surface.
Houston: What's there ? (muffled noise) Emission interrupted; interference control calling 'Apollo 11'
Moon: We saw some visitors. They were here for a while, observing the instruments
Houston: Repeat your last information !
Moon: I say that there were other spaceships. They're lined up in the other side of the crater !
Houston: Repeat, repeat !
Moon: Let us sound this orbita ... in 625 to 5 ... Automatic relay connected ... My hands are shaking so badly I can't do anything. Film it ? G--, if these d--ned cameras have picked up anything - what then ?
Houston: Have you picked up anything ?
Moon: I didn't have any film at hand. Three shots of the saucers or whatever they were that were ruining the film
Houston: Control, control here. Are you on your way ? What is the uproar with the UFOs over ?
Moon: They've landed here. There they are and they're watching us
Houston: The mirrors, the mirrors - have you set them up ?
Moon: Yes, they're in the right place. But whoever made those spaceships surely can come tomorrow and remove them. Over and out.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Remember they had that Frasier episode where Buzz Aldrin is confessing that he saw aliens and there was a NASA cover up but Roz and Frasier were busy fighting so they didn't hear it? Good stuff. Thanks, early 2000s.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

seems legit

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Maybe it's a tech moon and I'm sure I don't have to tell you guys about how technetium is the most valuable r64.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

gently caress the moon.

We need to go to Calisto.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
i don't get what the big deal is. i walk on the earth all the time and that's much larger than the moon

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

When Apollo mission astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous "one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind" statement, but followed it by several remarks — [mostly the] usual COM traffic between him, the other astronauts, and mission control. Before he re- entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark, "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky."

Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet cosmonaut. However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs.

Over the years, many people have question [Armstrong] as to what the "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky" statement meant. On July 5, in Tampa Bay, Florida, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26-year-old question to Armstrong. He finally responded. It seems that Mr. Gorsky had died and so Armstrong felt he could answer the question.

When he was a kid, Neil was playing baseball with his brother in the back yard. His brother hit a fly ball which landed in front of his neighbors' bedroom window. The neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky. As he leaned down to pick up the ball, he heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, "Oral sex? Oral sex you want? You'll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

To get sentimental for a bit, when I was a lad, men were landing on the moon a regular basis. This, a mere 15 years into human space exploration.

The default assumption was of course this pace of advancement would continue, and by the year 2000 humans would live all over the solar system.

But then came Nixon, and Reagan, and the Dark Times, and everyone's dreams of being an astronauts were buried, and instead we learned "Greed is Good".

Then came W. and the future is bleak, now, we eat ashes and drink poison and tell ourselves the good times are still here.....

But we all know the truth.

We're doomed.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

lol

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
how old are you redshirt

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cucking Mama posted:

how old are you redshirt

Old enough to know you're just a young cuck and I begrudge you your insolent behavior.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNP8wy3S_kY

spacefacts

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

redshirt posted:

From the asteroids themselves. Why set up an infrastructure on the moon in order to build an infrastructure in high Earth orbit? Makes no sense. Drag an asteroid into orbit, use that for everything you need.

how the gently caress are you going to build an infrastructure capable of bringing asteroids into orbit? how are you going to do that without an intermediate infrastructure? do you think your piddling little shits made on earth will be capable of this work? you're gonna havta build poo poo in orbit or on the moon to take care of this heavy lifting, and it's gonna be easier to get material from the moon to do this than from the earth

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Anybody here play that game that's like monopoly except in space and you've got like, fuel concerns and mining bases instead of properties?

My mom and I used to play that sometimes when I was a kid it was cool as hell

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nomadologique posted:

how the gently caress are you going to build an infrastructure capable of bringing asteroids into orbit? how are you going to do that without an intermediate infrastructure? do you think your piddling little shits made on earth will be capable of this work? you're gonna havta build poo poo in orbit or on the moon to take care of this heavy lifting, and it's gonna be easier to get material from the moon to do this than from the earth

Bringing asteroids into orbit is fairly simple. It's the mining/manufacturing that's hard.

You still have to get material from the Earth to the Moon. Why go that BIG extra step when you can just build in orbit?

Sure, it'd be primitive at first, but I assume the first space mining will be all about bringing that stuff back to earth. Once the Earth's economy has absorbed this, a new space age can begin and proper asteroid mining can begin - i.e. building infrastructure in space from the asteroid itself.

The moon is completely unneessary for this.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How many times did they go to the moon? How come every time they went, they took photos in the same location with the same hills and things in the background?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's almost like the moon looks like moon, right Waltzing Along?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Big Beef City posted:

It's almost like the moon looks like moon, right Waltzing Along?

That's not what I was asking. Way to deliberately misunderstand Mr Big Beef Sheeple.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

redshirt posted:

Also, for the depressed people here, we could easily get back to the Moon if we wanted to. But.... Republicans. So we can't.

But that's a political reason, not a technological one. Also, besides "science", what is there for a man to accomplish on the Moon? I can't think of much that's practical

you are pitifully loving retarded if youre honestly blaming our pitifully underfunded space program on "republicans" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i watched the movie "Gravity" and now im afraid of space and i appreciate our big gay blue earth a lot more

• Locked thread