Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Mr. Soop posted:

This is pretty much par for the course as to why Miranda gets a lot of flak. She isn't exactly very likeable with her smugness, and she's such obvious fanservice that a lot of folks tune her out. While she is more of a coherent character among the crew of ME2 when it comes to how she was written, that's also her weakness. She's kind of a Babe-Sue at the end of the day, and she represents strongly the narrative/character departure that ME2 took from ME1.

I mean, she's not likeable in the sense that most people wouldn't want to have someone like her as a boss, but she's well written and well acted. And she's not an annoying hero-worshipping puppy like Garrus or Liara.

I was kinda surprised she wasn't a potential villain in ME3. She'd have been so much better at it than Kai Leng.

:sicknasty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There was a DLC at some point that gave Miranda an actual combat hardsuit like everyone used to wear because, you know, armor. Anyway, Miranda's hardsuit is actually pretty cool. Jack's leather jacket and future sunglasses are also pretty sweet. I'm not sure what they were doing with catsuits and half-naked character models because for me it just reminds me that these are basically 3d dolls. You can even go into your squad thing and dress up (or undress) your sexy lady dolls. The rear end shots and Jack's ridiculous boob straps just pull me out of the game. So for me Miranda wears armor and Jack wears a leather jacket and IT'S CANON.

Funnily enough the weirdest creepiest fan interest goes to the six-fingered woman in the burqa.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Iamblikhos posted:

And she's not an annoying hero-worshipping puppy like Garrus or Liara.

Honestly this is the main reason pretty much EVERY female character in all 3 games make me massively uncomfortable, especially fan-favourite Tali. Miranda was almost sorta the best of the lot, because at least rear end shots are easier to ignore than a characters entire personality being the creepiest kind of fanservice

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

People just have the weirdest ideas about characters. See "space racist" for further details.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Iamblikhos posted:

I don't really get all the hate for Miranda. I mean, she's actually more coherent as a character than many of the fan favorites.

I guess nerds don't know how to deal with back-talk even from pixel women...

She's OK I guess but the mission is just more satisfying dramatically if she dies. Same reason I arranged for the deaths of Grunt, Thane and Jacob in ME2.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I tried to look past the cinematography's male gaze, so I understood Miranda as basically the one Cerberus surrogate on the ship. She's the only one who so openly idealizes this thing we're given every clue to not completely trust. Just even talking with her politely is awkward because you have to constantly make sure Shepard doesn't accidentally agree with Cerberus ideals. It's like trying to pry the truth out of a corporate public relations spokesman. If you were inclined to not like Cerberus, then you were inclined to not like Miranda as well.

There's some animosity for Jacob too. He seemed nice enough that I didn't understand why at first, but it is very easy to see him as the good cop to Miranda's bad cop in forcing the player along with things. Jacob's not evil in himself, but he is an accessory to it.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Electric Pope posted:

Honestly this is the main reason pretty much EVERY female character in all 3 games make me massively uncomfortable, especially fan-favourite Tali. Miranda was almost sorta the best of the lot, because at least rear end shots are easier to ignore than a characters entire personality being the creepiest kind of fanservice

Besides, you only have to worry about how hard it is to ignore rear end shots of pixel women if they make you uncomfortable in your heart or in your pants.

I get what you're saying about Tali, but I think her saving grace is that being creepily obsessive is part of her character. Like, it's not just directed at Shepard.

2house2fly posted:

She's OK I guess but the mission is just more satisfying dramatically if she dies. Same reason I arranged for the deaths of Grunt, Thane and Jacob in ME2.

You mean you don't play to maximize your Total War Assets?! :wth:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just finished ME2 and I spent a solid 10 seconds laughing at this prompt.

BioWare Romance, everyone.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Morroque posted:

There's some animosity for Jacob too. He seemed nice enough that I didn't understand why at first
Reasons people dislike and/or make fun of Jabob:
- It's impossible to talk to Jacob with a female character in a normal tone of voice. If I recall right, they did record a neutral greeting for FemShep/Jacob, but for some weird reason it's not used until after the Suicide Mission.
- He's often viewed as the most boring and bland character out of the whole ME cast.
- If you for some unholy reason romance the guy, Jacob has one of the - if not the - silliest dialogue. The prize...
- Additionally if you romance him, you're in a fun suprize when you come across him in ME3.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Iamblikhos posted:

You mean you don't play to maximize your Total War Assets?! :wth:

Anyone who doesn't get all that they need through multiplayer is Doing It Wrong.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

Anyone who doesn't get all that they need through multiplayer is Doing It Wrong.

You're talking about satisficing, not maximizing :smugbert:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Wait, what's wrong with Tali? Sure her romance is a little annoying because she sounds like she'll have a panic attack near the end of every dialog tree, but her character is supposed to be super neurotic and anxious

I like the space muslims, they're tied with the Krogan for being my favorite race in ME

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The dossiers from the Shadow Broker DLC are interesting. Jacob is on the ship because he's boring. With all the downright psychotic personalities onboard the SR2 they need someone whose defining characteristic is bland integrity and competence.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

The Door Frame posted:

Wait, what's wrong with Tali? Sure her romance is a little annoying because she sounds like she'll have a panic attack near the end of every dialog tree, but her character is supposed to be super neurotic and anxious

I like the space muslims, they're tied with the Krogan for being my favorite race in ME

They're supposed to be space Roma.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

The Door Frame posted:

Wait, what's wrong with Tali?

Her fans.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I got more of a Muslim vibe, with their language, the full body coverings and the aesthetics of their design feeling very middle eastern, but I can definitely see Roma in how they currently live in the flotilla

Uh oh, I've never been on a ME forum except when looking at multilayer builds, is she the main waifu of the creepiest, spergiest players?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Obviously Space Jews. I mean, any space race can only have one origin, right?

How many of those does she have, anyways? I'm pretty sure just one or two having a problem would asphyxiate her.

:rimshot:

(Wasn't there a rimshotsuicide smilie?)

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Uh oh, I've never been on a ME forum except when looking at multilayer builds, is she the main waifu of the creepiest, spergiest players?

Here's a classic, well-known link to official Bioware forums, shortened so the url itself doesn't spoil the surprise if you've actually managed to avoid it so far (url shows the thread title): http://goo.gl/gK2pw5

e: Oh wait that's not the original thread, but it's the original post.

Veib fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 25, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Door Frame posted:

As someone who likes Tali herself just fine: her fans are just :nms:the worst:nms:.

efb

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 25, 2014

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Why do people ruin everything? How was it worse than I could have possibly imagined?
:smithicide:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The Door Frame posted:

Why do people ruin everything? How was it worse than I could have possibly imagined?
:smithicide:

The internet is basically one long telling of the Aristocrats joke.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Because Bioware's community managers don't clamp down on the crazy. And in some cases encourage people doing poo poo like that.

Gigglesquee.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

The internet is basically one long telling of the Aristocrats joke.

I read the weird fan art thread, I was ready for forever delitized foot tickling or something, but a completely serious discussion about the benefits of drinking someone's sweat? What the gently caress. What the actual gently caress

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
the thing is, and this has always made me wonder what planet Talimancers are from:

ME1: your introduction to Tali is someone who can hack a geth core (that everyone else thinks is basically impossible, she's badass at her job) making a bad deal with some gangsters for protection. When it goes sour, she figures out on her own the deal is bad and starts to make her exit by going "yeah, gently caress you, have a grenade." Would it have worked without Shep's intervention? Probably not, but points for trying. And using explosives, no less.

ME2: your introduction to Tali is someone running her own salvage team far from the support of the flotilla who is clearly more competent than anyone else in her "soon-to-be-murdered by a YMIR" squad. Despite this, she stands up to Shepard and says "hey, I'd love to go with you again, but I have responsibilities to my fleet and people, so, catch you later." After she fulfills those responsibilities, she's willing to join up again.

ME3: See this thread, but it just proves my point.

how a character who's basically an independent adult handling her own poo poo and being responsible (mostly) - even having a character arc about getting more responsible - got turned into ~mai waifu~ perplexes me.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 25, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That thread lead to the line "It smells like sweat. Why would anyone even ask that?!" line in ME3.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Bioware made fun of them in 2. You guys probably know that scene.

But let's just agree that those people are dumb and move on from the topic.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Nah, they're obviously alien Jews. Cast out from their homeland, can never really live anywhere, willing to indiscriminately kill the Palestinians Geth to get their homeworld back. :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Arglebargle III posted:

I just finished ME2 and I spent a solid 10 seconds laughing at this prompt.

BioWare Romance, everyone.

When I discovered that I pretty much fell out of my chair laughing. I mean it doesn't look any better with any other romance character and I feel that's mainly because Shepard is just so :geno: while your LI is way into it. But you have to admit, Tali just going at you with her mask still on is pretty funny.

However the next scene where the two of you are just lying on your bed looks infinitely better but the whole premise is still kinda silly

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Psion posted:

how a character who's basically an independent adult handling her own poo poo and being responsible (mostly) - even having a character arc about getting more responsible - got turned into ~mai waifu~ perplexes me.

Because you're not thinking about this like a delusional person with unexamined social anxiety.

What common element does every other love interest in the game have (male or female)? Think. Think about their personalities, physical attributes, voices, in-game powers...

Give up? It's a loving face! Tali is a living embodiment of a chat-friend or a phone sex operator. Even talking to her in person, you only get her answering machine.

Tali is catnip to a special brand of very strange person because she is a complete cypher. Sure she's 'hyper competent' and 'assertive'. But she's those things like ticking off checkboxes on a scarynerd's imaginary woman-on-a-pedestal list. She's got this like... complicated stuff at home, you know? That you don't have to worry about. She super smart and can do things you can't. But it's all off camera, and nothing she does interferes with what you do. Best of all, any time you talk to her, you're talking to a motorcycle helmet with a russia-mail-order-bride accent. She even kind of sounds like a sexy stormtrooper. I don't know how that plays in, exactly, but I'm sure it does.

In many ways, the 'romances' in bioware games are blank slates. There's only an occasional character who will not succumb to repeated poking of their 'hey baby eff my p' conversation options. But, they impose one crucial handicap on the lifestyle of a weird and creepy; you have to PICK ONLY ONE. Except for sluts (lol! (they don't deserve anything, amirite?!)).

Let's track some bioware romances...

Morgame. Morrigan. Morgana. Whatever. Claudia Black.
- Give me presents
- Give me more presents
- More presents
- I'm going to give you the dragonage equivalent of the 'green' ending, except that when I say 'green', I mean 'nothing changes' and when I say 'ending', I mean with my vagina.

Secretary lady
- Compliments
- Compliments
- Compliments
- Private strip show (or something? Shower? I forget)
- Feed my fish for me

Moral lady option
- Do something cool to a stranger
- Ask me about my morals
- Lie and say you agree with my morals
- Get 200 points in 'good' or 'light' or 'paragon' or 'secular humanism'
- I only love you forever, even though I've been parked at the inn since chapter 2

I have a propeller head conspiracy theory about how the 'morality' system of a bioware game gives you a hint about the 'romance' system and visa versa--that these two systems are in some sense in constant conflict, and that, in reality, when you are working the alignment system to max out and get the best conversation options, you are secretly romancing the bioware staff writers.

There's 2 modes of morality in Bioware games. In one mode, you accumulate both 'paths' separately. Sometimes the only way that a path reflects at all is if you have a companion with you at the time who will judge what you do. In the other mode, it's an either-or, and people react to you based on how far you go.

In ME1, you needed to gain 'morality experience', basically, to unlock charm or intimidate. The raw alignment you accumulated would affect the ending, regardless of the major choices you made at the end. You could also New game + it and keep your charm or intimidate skills--then go hard the other way so that you had both skills at one time.

In ME2, paragon/renegade was a percentage based on how far in the game you'd gotten. Either/or.

In ME3, paragon/renegade are separate silos, and there's a raw 'reputation' you accumulate that gives you access to dialog options that can eff with a bro. In essence, this means that, unlike in the previous games, if you are 'gray' in the sense that you're part paragon and part renegade, you're more like both at the same time. You can choose whether to end a conflict with the magic words 'come on guys, can't we just be friends?' *OR* 'we don't have time for this, you guys! Now just make friends.'

So it's like, if the game is a Tali, and you're all about getting in there, ME1 is saying 'ok, but you have to give me presents' (in the form of skill points spend on charm or intimidate) until you can do it with the game. By which I mean, get access to new conversation paths (including ones with special rewards).

Then ME2 is, much like the characters in it, kind of a foregone conclusion. All it wants from you is *DEDICATION*, bro. No loving around. You paragon every time there's a gon to para, or you're a cheater, and that's not true love.

Then ME3 comes back around and says 'ok, you know what, good bad, you're the one with the reputation'. So just make it happen. Pick from the litter. If you ever say something mean to a guy, then that means you're a little mean. If you're ever nice, then you're a little nice. Just wait until the last chapter, and pick the outcomes you want.

In terms of idiotic fake relationships, I'd say the one you carry on with the writers is probably the most elaborate.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The ME1 Alignment/Skill system was pretty stupid. The game expected you to max out your persuade/intimidate/electronics/decryption skills as high as you could get them at any one point in time. Meaning that you could, in theory, gain enough paragon points mid conversation to tick you up to the threshold where you now have free points therefore meaning you can no longer pass the persuade check at the end of the conversation and have to kill the guys you were just glad handing.

It's also possible to encounter Master level lockboxes on the first planet they send you to, don't get me started on the fact that there are two different hacking skills and which one you actually need for a specific box is left up to the whims of the designer.

What I'm saying is ME2's hacking systems are much better than ME1s, and ME3's "Shove my multi tool into the door until the damned thing surrenders" is a welcome reprieve.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
"Shove my multitool into the door until it surrenders" is *another* fascinating commentary on Bioware romance options.

But I think, to be fair to ME, it's main sin as far as the skill system went wasn't that it had one and that it gated content--it's that it would *show* you content that you couldn't get as if that was supposed to entice you, somehow.

I vaguely recall a random cave on a planet somewhere with a nuclear bomb in it, and if you accidentally decided to investigate it, you had a matter of seconds to disarm it or be incinerated. Like--that's cute in Fallout, but for something like ME, I don't know what the point would be.

They just needed to not show you greyed out conversation options (because your intimidate/charm was too low) or hackable/engineerable doors (because you can't unhack/multitool them). Then it's just a problem for completionists, and honestly, for the completionist, isn't it a little more fun when you aren't even sure where all the poo poo is to begin with?

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 25, 2014

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Part 11: Choice

Further Reading

Scorchy's Knights of the Old Republic 2 G0T0 update: http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/Update%2035/
A Mind Forever Voyaging transcript (search for "cf18"): http://www.allthingsjacq.com/intfic_clubfloyd_20130104-NF.html
Eve Lives: http://youtu.be/XRmQX-pUdYw
Padok Lives: http://youtu.be/z--cnjWQL8M
Mordin Dies: http://youtu.be/CZ7T8mmXuc8
Wrex Dies: http://youtu.be/xITmbTOhuRk

What can we say about choice in games, beyond the usual? How can choices be used as a narrative tool?

• Sorry it took me so long, had a lot of stuff to record.
  • Lots of talking in this one, so much so that I had to splice in some extra combat footage so I wouldn't talk about the more dramatic bits.
  • I had to cut some other comments I had; I assume you all pick up on stuff like "both the krogan ruins from a better age and the lightning around the Shroud are green" and "Kalros, the icon of natural life/motherhood/Tuchanka, takes down the sterile robot crab-thing."
  • In the spirit of this update, I'd like the thread to determine what happens to a couple of characters that'll appear later in the game:
    • Samara will attempt suicide so that she won't have to execute her sole remaining daughter for having a predatory genetic condition. Live or die?
    • Miranda can potentially die while rescuing her sister from Cerberus and her father, in the process giving us a lead that will take us to Cerberus HQ. Live or die?
    • What's more important: the life of an Admiral or the lives of his crew?
    • Steve Cortez. Romance?
  • I'll choose what we do based on what seems most interesting, so let me know why you want these stories!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Live. Her personality seems stunted. Which I guess is because she's an inside-out version of a girl who didn't get to go to college because she got pregnant at the prom. She's weird and tough, like Kurt Russell in Soldier. I'd like to see what is supposed to happen to her personality after her kids are grown up and move away to college. In the sense that she kills them. Also I want to see if any part of her turns green.

Die. I thought she was dumb from the first moment she popped up in the game. The only thing slightly interesting about her was that she was in charge of the security guard guy. It was an opportunity for a competent senior woman type character. Instead she's a girl clone perfect version of some guy (if I'm remembering right?). She's a less interesting version of other people's stories. She's not as poo poo-torn-up as Jack. She's not as 'my family is in trouble!' as the frog guy, or samara. She's not as 'cool' as garrus, what's her name the ninja, or grunt. And she's not as important to story affairs as the other blue lady or wrex. She's dead weight, and if you can get another mission out of her dead body--so much the better.

In general I'd say crew. But I don't remember what plot point you're talking about. So whichever results in an aftermath anecdote that seems interesting.

Steve is smoking hot. You'd be a fool to pass on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw

Edit: \/\/ Ah yeah. Then Crew. If it's what I think you're talking about, they all deserve to die. And if Tali can't see how cool legion is, then she *should* fall off a cliff. What a drama queen.

:smith: I miss Legion.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 25, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

In general I'd say crew. But I don't remember what plot point you're talking about. So whichever results in an aftermath anecdote that seems interesting.

Him being alive has him throw his authority behind you if you tell the fleet to stand down, and is one of the things that lets you get peace between the two factions

But I don't think Lt. Danger is doing that so 'whichever is more interesting' I suppose.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's funny, I think Wiks dying to save the cure is actually a lot more powerful than Mordin. Unlike Mordin, Wiks really doesn't have a stake in this. He's not willing to die because he feels he has to atone, it's just what he believes is right. It's personal to him because it is inline with his own belief system, and he goes to his death only to stay true to that. Mordin's sacrifice probably means more to the usual player because you spent all of ME2 with him and experiencing his arc, but in a narrative vacuum I think Wiks' story is the better one.

As for Bioware's big moral dilemma on Tuchanka being rendered moot by a perfect imported save, I think the same can be said for The upcoming Quarian/Geth storyline as well. Bioware has never really been good at putting the player in a position of choosing between two greys. It's either always black/white, or it's black/black or grey/grey, but you can take a third option that's white if you've met certain extra conditions. The closest to a true grey vs grey choice I can think of from Bioware is choosing the next Dwarven king DA:O, although even then the choice looks black and white until the post game credits where you learn the consequences of your choice. Basically what I'm saying is that bioware is awful at creating moral dilemmas.

As for your questions:

Kill Samara, because Shepard peptalking her out of the consequences of her good vs lawful choice by exploiting what is ostensibly a legal loophole comes off as really trite.

Let Miranda live. I don't particularly like her character, but I also don't think her arc feels like one that ends in her death. It's the conclusion of her choices: finally overcoming her father instead of running from him, and truly freeing her sister rather than shifting her from one cage (her father) to another (a life in hiding). It's a cliche story, but also a nice one, and is pulled off fairly well.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Lt. Danger posted:

• Samara will attempt suicide so that she won't have to execute her sole remaining daughter for having a predatory genetic condition. Live or die?
  • Miranda can potentially die while rescuing her sister from Cerberus and her father, in the process giving us a lead that will take us to Cerberus HQ. Live or die?

Samara has spent her entire life of not-trivial length in perfectly single-minded blind (though considered, sort of) devotion to her vaunted Code. Samara is completely, utterly, authoritarian. The code determines good. What is good is good because it abides by the code. So devoted is she to her code that she is fully prepared to murder Shepard and/or an entire police station on Illium because of a technicality. Her entire recruitment quest is "do this thing so that I will not have to murder everybody around me for doing their jobs". We will later see that she is, at first, prepared to murder her own daughter - her last daughter - in spite of everything she has just seen that speaks to her daughters character, because the code demands it. This is how she has lived, how she has thought, what she has known for a thousand years. We are not going to loving talk her out of it in ten seconds after which she drops the matter entirely. It is contrary to everything about her. Her dying is a fitting conclusion to her arc; at last, at the closing end of her thousand-year life, her absolute belief in her code comes the closest to being shaken as it ever has. And even then, even in her realization that the code is maybe not the utterly perfect perfection she always believed it to be, she still cannot help but follow it to the letter. The cost of this choice is her own life, and she is completely, entirely okay with that, because she will die the way she lived - in perfect, uncompromising compliance with the Justicar Code, but doing good all the same. Samara wouldn't violate her code. She'd never be able to live with it. She'd have killed herself anyway. So let's not make her do that.

Miranda has always had this faint air of not always being as perfect as she was cracked up to be. It's so nearly an Actual Tragic Flaw. For reasons beyond her control or moral culpability, she has had perfection expected of her in every aspect of her life. Her rear end in a top hat father spared no expense in giving her every advantage conceivable; but never considered that the reputation this would afflict on her would ensure that the expectations upon her would forever be beyond her actual capability. But Miranda herself buys into this illusion. Listen to her. She's perfect! Perfect intelligence! Perfect body! Perfect looks! Perfect biotics! Perfect training! Every time there's a High Demand, there she is! Pick me Shepard! I'm perfect!. Except... well, she never is. Her involvement in ME2 is a constant parade of slight fuckups that very nearly ruin everything. She failed to spot the traitor who nearly bought down the Lazarus Project at the last minute. Or the one who nearly got her sister killed. Her "perfect biotics" can't keep the seeker swarms at bay (I forget if she volunteers for the vent job). She does alright at leading the teams though, I guess. But the point is; by virtue of her mistaken belief in her own absolute perfection, she frequently falls just short of what's needed and only narrowly averts disaster. As with Samara, I believe it's fitting that she not be casually shoved away from the inevitable conclusion of her arc; she will die at the hand of the beliefs and attitudes she has held for her whole life but she will die in the course of a good act.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Samara: Her arc carries a lot more meaning if she carries her code through to the end, and I also think it makes a strong statement regarding upholding the status quo and asari culture in general. Let her die.

Mirana: Honestly, I'd rather minimise the amount of characters that Kai Leng kills like chumps.

For a slightly better reason, Miranda's character arc throughout ME2 and ME3 always struck me as her struggling to escape the Illusive Man like she escaped her father. It's yet another element of creator vs. created, and I've always chosen to interpret the ME series as being on the created's side. Let her live.

This was a good episode and you managed to express what you were trying to say in the Grissom Academy episode without being a massive smug prick about it. It certainly made me question my habit of frustratedly restarting sections and taking specific routes in order to get the 'right' endings. I think the comparison to Deus Ex is misleading because Deus Ex was actually a good game with a competent writing staff, but the points raised are still valid.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I have to admit, given the route you were taking, I didn't think you would actually make the decision you did at the very end. It seemed like you were preparing to pull the rug out from under them, but then did not, for whatever reason.

Wondering about the thematic concerns you were going at, I can think of at least a few games out there where their subject matter would be presented in a much more interesting fashion if it weren't for the ludological aspect of it having clearly defined win-states and fail-states. Literature isn't quite its usual highbrow self if some endings are simply better than others.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Sydin posted:

It's funny, I think Wiks dying to save the cure is actually a lot more powerful than Mordin. Unlike Mordin, Wiks really doesn't have a stake in this. He's not willing to die because he feels he has to atone, it's just what he believes is right. It's personal to him because it is inline with his own belief system, and he goes to his death only to stay true to that. Mordin's sacrifice probably means more to the usual player because you spent all of ME2 with him and experiencing his arc, but in a narrative vacuum I think Wiks' story is the better one.

I can't even recall who the gently caress Wilks is, that's how little he matters to the story. He is just a replacement for Moridin if he already died in ME2. If he actually mattered at all he'd still be around even with Moridin in the picture.

Wreav at least gets eaten and your characters comment on it. Wrex even calls him an rear end in a top hat after it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I can't even recall who the gently caress Wilks is, that's how little he matters to the story. He is just a replacement for Moridin if he already died in ME2. If he actually mattered at all he'd still be around even with Moridin in the picture.

Wreav at least gets eaten and your characters comment on it. Wrex even calls him an rear end in a top hat after it happens.

Same here. Wiks is a good guy and all, but he barely has any characterization beyond being replacement Mordin. He's just a stand-in for the guy who actually earned all the pathos.

• Locked thread