Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Kurieg posted:

They couldn't do that because of the save glitch in ME1.

ME2 assumes that everyone was mean to Conrad Verner.

oh Bioware, what would we do without you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Aces High posted:

oh Bioware, what would we do without you

Given what I heard of Conrad's Paragon scene in ME2, they did us a favor. Would you rather see a crazy fan politely ask for help with a charity or said crazy fan delusionally try to mimic Shepard?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's worth it for Conrad's contribution in ME3, particularly if you fulfill the criteria for his asset to trigger.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Geostomp posted:

Given what I heard of Conrad's Paragon scene in ME2, they did us a favor. Would you rather see a crazy fan politely ask for help with a charity or said crazy fan delusionally try to mimic Shepard?

Nah, it's pretty much the same as the "Renegade" version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pQd3pHKO4k

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I kind of like the idea that Conrad just takes it badly no matter what you say. It makes him feel more real, honestly :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, Conrad assuming you put a gun to his face whether or not you did - it ends up funnier, therefore, better.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Kurieg posted:

They couldn't do that because of the save glitch in ME1.

ME2 assumes that everyone was mean to Conrad Verner.

Which is amazingly stupid since all they did was set both flags to be yes. It is trivial to go in with a save editor and delete the "I was mean" flag.

And yet, it was never officially patched to correct the issue.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm playing ME again now and it could probably use the same close reading that Lt. Danger is giving ME3. There's a lot going on here. The soundtrack is great; the Presidium music is sweeping violins and then you go to the Council chamber and it's the same theme but stepped down to cello and french horn with a reduced tempo. The effect is familiar yet menacing.

And so many texture issues, my god. Garrus's face isn't the only texture stuck on minimum resolution. Having a 2012 GPU with VRAM far beyond what was available on the 360 doesn't help texture pop-in much, and yet so much of it is tiny anyway.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Soricidus posted:

Saved you a few hundred words there with a better outcome.

If he absolutely has to stay, though, then simply get him written by someone competent who is capable of creating a villain who doesn't come across as a 13-year-old's original character do not steal.

Yeah, and part of that reason he came across like that was simply because he was thrown into the story without much of a plot or point other than "Cerberus Last Resort Badass Agent". If he were introduced much earlier, he would have had a chance to flesh out and maybe be worth a drat. Hell, even Henry Vega had his back-story told in anime form before ME3 rolled out. Kai Leng just appeared in a comic and it was all "okay throw him in there." This is disappointing especially considering he's voiced by Troy Baker, who could go mildly calm to super-psycho in a matter of minutes (see Mitsunari Ishida, Sengoku Basara series) .

Arglebargle III posted:

And so many texture issues, my god. Garrus's face isn't the only texture stuck on minimum resolution. Having a 2012 GPU with VRAM far beyond what was available on the 360 doesn't help texture pop-in much, and yet so much of it is tiny anyway.

...so what you're saying is that Garrus looked better AFTER he got hit in the face with a rocket launcher?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cangelosi posted:

...so what you're saying is that Garrus looked better AFTER he got hit in the face with a rocket launcher?

If that was a writer's reference to a texture bug I will be impressed. Also, it was a rocket. He probably would have preferred getting hit with the launcher.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lmfao the final cut .bik files (the ending videos) are labelled "bluebad" "bluedecent" "greengood" "redoutro" etcetera.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Arglebargle III posted:

Lmfao the final cut .bik files (the ending videos) are labelled "bluebad" "bluedecent" "greengood" "redoutro" etcetera.

To be fair, there is nothing more annoying in programming than when someone doesn't clearly label their variables.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

ME1 on the consoles was already a bit of a technical mess, but Demiurge Studios really did a lovely job on the PC port. Among the many performance problems, there's also a driver issue where the game can refuse to use higher quality textures.
If you're game looks like this and this, instead of this and this, you can try forcing the game to use less blurry textures by messing around with some .ini settings.

Also Garrus's face textures were bugged and permanently stuck in low lod mode at release. A dev posted on the old bioware forums that this couldn't be fixed because it would require a multi-gig patch. But then 1.02 did fix it, so... :shrug:

Morroque posted:

Is the in-game gaffing worse this time around? I mean, the lighting. It seems that on the whole, the lights and shadows are duller and flatter than they were in the second game, where things were brighter but also had more constrasting shadows.
<snip>
I'd call it a change in art direction, but I get the feeling it wasn't a change made deliberately.
Since the ME1 Normandy was rather dark as well, it seems the first thing the Alliance engineers did when they got their hands on the Normandy SR-2 was shake their heads at all the well lit rooms and start ripping out lamps.
Bad jokes aside, I think Bioware was trying to go for ME1's color scheme in ME3's Normandy with all the dark blue. Which following ME2's bright orange colours, would seem duller.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Raygereio posted:

Also Garrus's face textures were bugged and permanently stuck in low lod mode at release. A dev posted on the old bioware forums that this couldn't be fixed because it would require a multi-gig patch. But then 1.02 did fix it, so... :shrug:

Probably means a code monkey or intern found a workaround.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey thanks! I fixed funny face.

A lol on Feros:

:qq:"How can we fight the Geth when we're already shooting each other in the back?"
:shepface: "I think you'll find, Madame, that I shot him in the face."

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 8, 2014

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
How will I know how wrong my opinions are about Mass Effect characters if there's no update telling me?!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'd forgotten the hilarity that is high explosive rounds. I believe there's a joke about it in the Citadel DLC in ME3.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You've never experienced true joy until you've used the pre-nerf Krysae, explosive or inferno rounds optional.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Holy poo poo, Sovereign's theme is the Citadel theme on french horn.

Without all its synth violin shimmering and lower even than the cello version in the council chamber but it's the same melody. Just one solitary French horn. Instead of a pleasant arrangement.

The soundtrack guys deserve a medal or something.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Arglebargle III posted:

Holy poo poo, Sovereign's theme is the Citadel theme on french horn.

Without all its synth violin shimmering and lower even than the cello version in the council chamber but it's the same melody. Just one solitary French horn. Instead of a pleasant arrangement.

The soundtrack guys deserve a medal or something.

Not just that -- in ME3, the ambient sounds for the Normandy war room are a very, very subtle version of Vigil's theme, which is basically the unofficial "theme" of the series

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

Not just that -- in ME3, the ambient sounds for the Normandy war room are a very, very subtle version of Vigil's theme, which is basically the unofficial "theme" of the series

There's tons of stuff like that - for instance, part of the ME2 track "Samara" is used during the Suicide Mission's biotic bubble sequence.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The galaxy map music from ME1 is some of the best music I've heard in games, period. It absolutely sells the loneliness of space for me.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The music on various planets and on Noveria in ME1 sends creepies down my spine. I can't even find a video of what I'm talking about. It was like this lonely-sounding high pitched ringing noise. The game already feels pretty drat lonely on those side-mission planets, that music really dilated my pupils.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. Ad far as i know that's the interior mission track. So you'll hear it in every interior space on a mission without its own specific track.

The Ilos music takes the cake for the most oppressively creepy though. It's got this basso beat that's somehow designed to be exactly the wrong interval. It's like a heartbeat played at 1/20 speed. It's the only video game track where I recall anticipating the next measure with something like dread. Usually music barely rates notice. I'm about to get there in my current playthrough.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

For some reason the music from the sequels never did anything for me, but I agree the first game's soundtrack was very well done.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Guys, Lt. Danger has asked us before not to use this thread as to talk about the game proper. We have a thread in games for that. If he wants his thread to stagnate as he argues the ending to Walking Dead Season 2 then that's just his opinion man.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Guys, Lt. Danger has asked us before not to use this thread as to talk about the game proper. We have a thread in games for that. If he wants his thread to stagnate as he argues the ending to Walking Dead Season 2 then that's just his opinion man.

Do you have any thoughts on the use of music and musical cues in video game Mass Effect 3?
For my part, I don't remember it well beyond HONK HONK HOOOOOONK

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I liked the reaper honking noise, just not when the synth horns did it as part of the soundtrack. In fact i liked the piano in ME3's soundtrack a lot. Unfortunately the ME3 theme involved both piano and synth horn honks.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I didn't really love ME1's soundtrack (except for the Vigil theme) the first time through; but after playing all the games and looking back, I really appreciate how unique it sounds. If you play X-COM: Enemy Unknown, they sound so much alike. I wondered if they were composed by the same person, but I decided not to research that, heh.

EDIT: For example - http://youtu.be/f-cdXsAAme0?t=35s. Might be just me, but I couldn't help comparing the two.

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 18, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

The Ilos music takes the cake for the most oppressively creepy though. It's got this basso beat that's somehow designed to be exactly the wrong interval. It's like a heartbeat played at 1/20 speed. It's the only video game track where I recall anticipating the next measure with something like dread. Usually music barely rates notice. I'm about to get there in my current playthrough.

It's an emphasis on off-beats that is probably what is doing it (I think they actually composed it in a mixed metre like 7/8 or an equivalent so if you were counting even beats it would gently caress you up pretty quickly), because the arpeggiating is not actually very dissonant, you would probably notice it even more if they had tried for a more dissonant interval. However I do agree that the Ilos theme is one of my favourite tracks of the series, when I first got to Ilos and that music kicked in I was like "hoooooooly gently caress, poo poo is about to get real" and of course then I find out that I still had another 30 minutes of play time after that planet.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Arglebargle III posted:

I liked the reaper honking noise, just not when the synth horns did it as part of the soundtrack. In fact i liked the piano in ME3's soundtrack a lot. Unfortunately the ME3 theme involved both piano and synth horn honks.
It's one of those Onion things which would make for a pretty unbelievable joke only five years ago... and then we get to the present and "oh, I guess everyone are rushing to use the Inception horns as a generic part of their soundtrack/trailer. Huh."

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

that honk was around long before Inception :colbert:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Xander77 posted:

It's one of those Onion things which would make for a pretty unbelievable joke only five years ago... and then we get to the present and "oh, I guess everyone are rushing to use the InceptionWar of the Worlds' tripod horns as a generic part of their soundtrack/trailer. Huh."

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I wonder what the first published movie that used that style of noise was. I'm pretty sure it was used for 'big alien thing' earlier than that fucken War of the Worlds movie.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

while not a "honk" I do believe that the Martian's call in War of the Worlds is described as mechanical in nature in the book, so I guess that brings us back about 125 years :v:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

And if the WotW remake was a movie anyone cared about, much less bothered to steal from, I would certainly have referred to them as "War of the Worlds horns".

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I misremembered the Ilos bass pretty badly, it's actually just a slowish heartbeat sort of drum line. It's the monotony of it and the deep booming and the slightly too slow heartbeat of the drum that gets to you. Plus all the creepy statues. I'm not exactly dreading the next measure so much as just being oppressed by the constant, steady booming. There's very little else to the Ilos "not fighting" soundtrack, just that constant basso heartbeat.

Also, only parts of Ilos are like a graveyard. The overall impression is one of a cyclopean tomb, straight out of Lovecraft. The architecture makes no sense; there are angles jumbled up against curves, the paths are too mazelike to be functional, and you often have large objects uncomfortably low overhead for no discernible reason. On top of that there are tumbled blocks and massive, unnaturally large vines growing everywhere, and those drat creepy statues. The sky is the color of rust and the ambient lighting is a perpetual twilight of a color you won't see on Earth. You get lost; there are dead ends that seem to exist only to disorient. The level is a concerted effort to unnerve the player, and it's pretty successful. Penetrating into the actual cyclopean tomb is a relief compared to the surface world.

It's funny, I go between "this is a cylopean tomb with intentionally oppressive geometries" and "this really reminds me of Brutalist architecture from the 60s that you see on college campuses." Specifically some parts of Ilos remind me of a pair of especially vile buildings at UW Madison. Lovecraft predicted the institutional architecture of the 60s.

The really crazy thing is how different the drumbeat feels with the Vigil theme played over it.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 18, 2014

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Sorry all for the absence, I've been horribly ill the last few weeks and this next update is really bitty. I'll get it done as soon as I can. Thanks for keeping the discussion going!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Pray, do not disturb my circles.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

Pray, do not disturb my circles.

*stab*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Part 13: Writing

Further Reading

Josh Sawyer on romance: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/44687-romances-in-nwn-2-and-rpgs-in-general/page-7?p=725311#entry725311
Patrick Weekes' response: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-953.html
Farscape's John & Aeryn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtm-GSQg6M0
Conrad Verner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMGldCXs0LQ
Aria: http://youtu.be/V091SxYzZCQ

What do we think about Bioware's writing? Which of their lines are half-decent and which are the real clunkers?

I wanted to talk about Aria as well at this point but couldn't find a way to work it in. Aria's pretty unpopular with a lot of people, and I've never fully understood why - people claim she's a pet character of Mac Walters, which I can buy, but I don't see what about this makes her so offensive. She's got a very minor part in a series that's much bigger than her - if anything, she's underutilised as the anti-Council, though I suppose TIM has that job really. Still, if people have criticisms, this is the time to air them!

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 20, 2014

• Locked thread