Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Mass Effect 3 is a 2012 science fiction action role-playing third-person shooter created by Bioware and published by Electronic Arts.

But you know what Mass Effect 3 is. You wouldn't have clicked on this link if you didn't.

The basic premise is that in the 22nd century, humanity is one of many great galactic powers in an age of peace and prosperity. In 2185, however, the Reapers - impossibly advanced genocidal robots from the dawn of time, the true terrible secret of space - have returned to the galaxy to destroy everything. In one swift attack Earth is captured and its spacefleet crippled. It is up to the player, in the guise of soldier and hero Commander Shepard, to unite the galaxy, muster a counterattack and end the Reaper threat once and for all.

The reception to Mass Effect 3 was mixed, to say the least. With two previous games and an Expanded Universe full of fiction behind it, expectations for Mass Effect 3 were high. The storyline, and especially the ending, came under a lot of fire from the fanbase for not living up to their hopes. In the end, Bioware actually released several pieces of DLC - one gratis - to address the outcry.

Unlike most people, I think Mass Effect 3 is really good - it's about as underappreciated as a game can be when it's a AAA title. This LP is gonna be all about me trying to re-sell Mass Effect 3 to you.

God, this was a bad idea.

I've got two favours to ask the thread.

Favour One: Try and avoid talking about stuff too far ahead in the game. Don't worry so much about 'spoiling' things - I just don't want to have ending-chat straight off the mark. No spoilers goddamnit

Favour Two: It's possible you may have some preconceived opinions about the game/this thread. These may include:

• Mass Effect 3 is just a silly video game
  • Mass Effect 3 is just a simple space opera
  • Mass Effect 3 is just a silly simple space opera video game
  • You're reading too much into things
  • You're a boring troll
  • I have strong negative feelings about the ending of this game and want to share
  • Bioware never intended any of the stuff you talk about
  • This game is just plain bad
  • This thread is pretentious nonsense
  • This is poo poo; you're poo poo

If so, congratulations! :siren: All of these things are true. But in the interest of keeping the thread readable, I'd rather you didn't post these.

I don't want to censor free speech, however, so instead please consider posting the following pro forma:

quote:

In my opinion, Mass Effect 3 is a bad game. Along with many other fans, I was disappointed with the conclusion of this trilogy. Mass Effect 1 and/or 2 were far superior.

Although some parts of Mass Effect 3 were good, much of it was not what the fans wanted. Botching the ending in particular is unforgivable, regardless of whatever reasons there may have been. And ultimately, responsibility lies with Mac Walters and Casey Hudson. Bioware are a shadow of their former selves.

Your opinion is very silly and I disagree with it completely.

And then you can sign it or whatever.

This way, though, you can register your dissent without making anyone feel like they have to get into a protracted argument about it, saving us all a lot of grief in the long run.

I can't make you do any of the above but it'd be very much appreciated!

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Contents

Click the images to watch videos on Youtube.

Part 1: Introductions

Part 2: Tutorials

Part 3: Space

Part 4: Class

Part 5: Form

Part 6: Challenge

Part 7: Patterns

Part 8: Intertext

Part 9: Criticism

Part 10: Focus

Part 11: Choice

Part 12: Religion

Part 13: Writing

Part 14: Setting

Part 15: Criticism 2

Part 16: Orientalism

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 3, 2014

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Synopsis

Like you haven't played all of these games already.

Mass Effect 1 is the first game in the series.

In 2183, a rogue agent of the intergalactic Citadel Council attacks the human colony of Eden Prime. Player character Commander Shepard is hastily inducted into the Spectres, an elite order of black ops commandos that answer only to the Council, and assigned to track down the renegade responsible for the attack, Saren Arterius. Key to the conflict is the imminent return of the Reapers, an ancient machine race that wipes out all advanced organic life in the galaxy every 50,000 years.

With the aid of an unlikely band of misfits, including turian officer Garrus Vakarian, asari professor Liara T'Soni and itinerant mechanic Tali'Zorah nar Rayya, Shepard tracks Saren down and stops him, moments before Saren could open the way for the Reapers to return. There are casualties along the way, though: krogan mercenary Urdnot Wrex is killed during a tense stand-off on the planet Virmire, and Lieutenant Kaidan Alenko gives his life ensuring the destruction of Saren's stronghold shortly afterwards.

Shepard's victory guarantees humanity's rise to galactic power, but he is sure the Reapers will find another way to return.

Mass Effect 2 is the second, and best, game in the series.

Despite his success in hunting down Saren, Shepard is sidelined and isolated after his warnings of the coming Reaper apocalypse become politically inconvenient. Shipped off to fight geth insurgents on the fringes of civilised space, Shepard is ambushed and killed by the Collectors - a servitor race in thrall to the Reapers.

Two years later, Shepard is resurrected by Cerberus, a paramilitary organisation dedicated to human supremacy at all costs. Driven by the Collector plot to abduct and transform human colonists into horrific monsters, Shepard must gather an even unlikelier band of misfits to assault and destroy the Collector home base beyond the mysterious Omega-4 Relay. This time around, his allies are criminals, assassins and mercenaries, and Cerberus seems intent on manipulating Shepard for their own selfish ends.

Ultimately, though, Shepard succeeds in destroying the Collectors - though not without the loss of salarian bioscientist Mordin Solus and the geth emissary Legion. When he discovers that the Reapers have almost arrived at the edge of the galaxy, though, Shepard is forced to detonate a mass relay, killing hundreds of thousands of innocents in an attempt to hold off the inevitable.

Returning to Earth, Shepard submits himself to the Systems Alliance for judgement.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Part 1: Introductions

Further Reading

ME2 Intro: http://youtu.be/XBtVWS4J1o8
Quake 2 Intro: http://youtu.be/GwKspxVu7Lc
Earth Civilians Discovery: http://www.clevernoob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2235-earth-civilian-2d-sprites-aka-jack/

Open question: what introductions are good? Which games do you think have memorable openings?

This is my first video so let me know if there's anything I should do to improve it.

At one point I ask you to listen to what the characters say, but keep on talking over most of it. I can't help it, they keep talking when I need to talk!

So here's the transcript.

quote:

SHEPARD and ANDERSON are walking-and-talking, just like in The West Wing

SHEPARD: What's going on? Why's everyone in such a hurry?

ANDERSON: Admiral Hackett's mobilizing the fleets. I'm guessing word's made it to Alliance Command... something big's headed our way.

SHEPARD: The Reapers?

ANDERSON: We don't know. Not for certain.

SHEPARD: What else could it be?

ANDERSON: If I knew that...

SHEPARD: You know we're not ready if it is them... not by a long shot.

ANDERSON: Tell that to the defense committee.

SHEPARD: Unless we're planning to talk the Reapers to death, the committee is a waste of time.

ANDERSON: They're just scared. None of them have seen what you've seen. We've all reviewed your reports, seen the data you collected, but it's all just theory to us. You've been there. In the trenches. Fighting them. You know what they're capable of.

SHEPARD: That why they grounded me? Took away my ship?

ANDERSON: You know that's not true. When you blew up the batarian relay, hundreds of thousands of batarians died.

SHEPARD: It was that or let the Reapers walk through our back door.

ANDERSON: I know that, Shepard, and so does the committee. If it wasn't for that, you'd have been court-martialed and left to rot in the brig.

SHEPARD: That, and your good word?

ANDERSON: Yeah. I trust you, Shepard. And so does the committee.

SHEPARD: I'm just a soldier, Anderson. I'm no politician.

ANDERSON: I don't need you to be either. I just need you to do whatever the hell it takes to help us stop the Reapers.

COUNCILLOR 1: Admiral Anderson. Shepard.

SHEPARD: What's the situation?

COUNCILLOR 1: We were hoping you would tell us.

COUNCILLOR 2: The reports coming in are unlike anything we've seen. Whole colonies have gone dark. We've lost contact with everything beyond the Sol Relay.

COUNCILLOR 1: Whatever this is, it's incomprehensibly powerful.

SHEPARD: You brought me here to confirm what you already know... The Reapers are here.

Gasps of shock from the CROWD.

COUNCILLOR 2: Then... how do we stop them?

SHEPARD: Stop them? This isn't about strategy or tactics. This is about survival. The Reapers are more advanced than we are. More powerful. More intelligent. They don't fear us, and they'll never take pity on us.

COUNCILLOR 2: But... there must be some way.

SHEPARD: Each of us has to be willing to die to save humanity. Anything less... and they've already won.

COUNCILLOR 1: That's it? That's our plan?

OFFICER: Admiral, we've lost contact with Luna Base.

ANDERSON: The moon? They couldn't be that close already...

COUNCILLOR 2: How'd they get past our defenses?

OFFICER: Sir, UK headquarters has a visual.

A large screen displays the incoming call. A SOLDIER screams into the camera. There is no visual.

ANDERSON: Why haven't we heard from Admiral Hackett?

COUNCILLOR 1: What do we do?

SHEPARD: The only thing we can. We fight or we die.

ANDERSON: We should get to the Normandy...

A strange noise is heard from outside.

COUNCILLOR 2: Oh my god...

Suddenly a REAPER appears and blows them all away.

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 2, 2014

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I have Citadel, but probably won't show it.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Mordin, Wrex and Legion are dead.

This is canon.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Aces High posted:

I want to go into a bit of detail about something you talked about towards the end of the video, talking about the choice of Vancouver as the place where Shepard's tribunal is taking place. You talk about how it doesn't have the same emotional effect nor does it communicate that Earth is under attack the way Independence Day does or the mention of other more publicly known major cities in the Quake 2 intro. I can understand how if Shepard is in Washington DC and the White House is destroyed that the player would think "holy poo poo, they're really here on Earth, it's actually happening" but I feel that I prefer the decor and background to be a little more unknown for a few reasons.

That's fair enough - there are advantages to genericising the city, like you say. I think Endorph is right in that a series of empty roofs is a really bad way to suggest "you're in a city", and that hurts more than anything.

I wouldn't say Mass Effect/Bioware in general are above a bit of cheese, but ME3 is probably the first to turn it into full melodrama - Mordin's song, Legion's question.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

As I'm importing a save, I don't have a choice - it's RPG all the way. There just aren't many dialogue wheels in the opening section (or throughout the game, really).

Geostomp posted:

Worse, it disregards some very major events we saw that should be haunting Shepard, like killing 300,000 people just to delay the Reapers last game or abandoning someone on Virmire in the first game, in favor of the lowest common denominator. Which will be something of a theme in this game's "emotional" scenes.

It is an incredibly clumsy and ham-handed scene, but I see three advantages to the vent-child:

1) Everyone sees it and remembers it. Players may not have played Arrival or may have forgotten/moved on from Virmire.
2) The child has a face, unlike the 300,000 batarians - without whom the galaxy is better off anyway :v:
3) The child has no agency - Ashley/Kaidan/the ME2 team all made a choice to risk their lives, but the child is purely a victim.

Arguably the child isn't 'for' Shepard-as-a-character, but for Shepard-as-a-player. Shepard proper is probably thinking of friends, family and other soldiers, but their faces wouldn't mean anything to us players.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Um. What's the point, then? With this in mind, why only show this game? I'm just confused.

The point of this LP is that Mass Effect 3 actually has a really good story, including - especially - the ending. With that in mind, why show anything but this game?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Part 2: Tutorials

Further Reading

Dead Space 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxezK0uWmDI
auntie pixelante - http://auntiepixelante.com/?p=465

How do you make good tutorials? Should you have to look things up in the manual sometimes?

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 24, 2014

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

StrifeHira posted:

Prime is much the same, and while introducing the game's mechanics it also gives the player a taste of what's to come, "resetting" at the end to give the player some incentive to get their powerups back and explore the hellhole they landed on.

Kind of like Dragon Age 2, except done well!

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Thanks for the feedback, everybody!

quote:

Even though you said you feel this is a good game, so far you haven't really shown anything that was particularly good but have pointed out a lot that is bad or could have been done better. This is mainly in terms of the gameplay. The story stuff has been neutral.

A lot of the time, when I say "good", I mean "interesting" - and vice versa. I'm actually making a conscious effort not to say "interesting" too often. Count along at home!

I made the first two videos before starting this thread, and I assumed most people were very familiar with ME3 and didn't want me to go over basic stuff/backstory too much. I'm gonna change this up for new videos though, since there seems to be an interest.

Most of the things I like best are deep-set thematic concepts that need a bit of time to develop before I talk about them. I'm gonna say nice things in, uh, about two videos' time (so next Thursday hopefully).

JcDent posted:

In my opinion, Mass Effect 3 is an OK game, maybe, and a bad sequel to Mass Effect 2, which was a bad sequel to Mass Effect (which was good). Along with many other fans, I was disappointed with the conclusion of this trilogy. Mass Effect 1 and/or 2 were far superior.

Although some parts of Mass Effect 3 were good, much of it was not what the fans wanted. Botching the ending in particular is unforgivable, regardless of whatever reasons there may have been. And ultimately, responsibility lies with Mac Walters and Casey Hudson. Bioware are a shadow of their former selves.

Your opinion is very silly and I disagree with it completely.

:agreed:

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Part 3: Space

Further Reading

Presidium Map: http://lpix.org/1755609/presidium map.jpg
Anachronox: http://youtu.be/OH0Px07ccts
Nudge Theory: http://www.businessballs.com/nudge-theory.htm#nudge-theory-overview

What are some other cool spaces in games? What levels say something with the geometry they use?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

quote:

ME 2 refused to set up the scenario for reapers returning - it should have been about shephard searching for a reaper-killing tool, not about this suddenly-appearing villain race that has no overall impact on the reaper conflict

No!

quote:

We should have discovered the Crucible in ME2 and started building it then, instead we got Mass Effect: Random Pointless Intermissions.

No!

quote:

I agree, but feel that ME2 could easily have made real strides to giving everyone a fighting chance against the Reapers along the way to beating the Collectors with just a few extra side-quests or some mention of usable data being recovered from the Collector base. If nothing else, they could remember all the setback the Reapers have suffered this cycle and have them weakened enough that they'd need time to gather resources to begin a full invasion. All they'd have to to is give a decent time-skip between the games to allow for the galaxy to start arming itself for the coming dark age and we'd be ready for the big epic war story they were so intent on showing. Anything would have been an improvement over the giant Dues Ex Machina device that nobody understand at all, but are desperate to build and just hope it somehow solves their problems.

No!

Bad! Bad bad bad!

quote:

Is it possible you're all giving the writers too much credit when it comes to the council? It could be that they were just created to be simple strawman politicians who act as nothing more than a plot obstacle to the action-based solutions of the player.

Not that the theories aren't interesting, but I just don't have the faith in Bioware's writing team that they would plan it out to such a degree.

There's a slightly more sophisticated reason for the Council's actions than "politicians bad, soldiers good" - well, at least, there's a fairly decent reason for Bioware writing "politicians bad, soldiers good" that isn't just crypto-fascism.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Part 4: Class

Further Reading

Reaper Sounds: http://youtu.be/qd3sD17Ovyk?t=1m16s
Tripod Sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtZSdCqTmhI
Strider Sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KUaeyXP3Tw

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

My objections are largely to do with engaging with a work on its own terms, and how Mass Effect is about Reapers in the same way that zombie films are about the undead.

For what it's worth, the next few videos will be about story and characters and not mechanics - Sunday should be about EDI, next week Mordin, and after that one of the main motifs.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Endorph posted:

Man dude I appreciate your LP and like it but just quoting a bunch of posts and going 'bad!' like you're talking to a disobedient dog because they have a thought or opinion you disagree with has kind of soured me on this.

It's really dull and bad criticism, that's why. It's predicated entirely on what somebody thinks the story should be, rather than what it is.

There's a place for counter-factual analysis, but not when it gets you to the wrong conclusion. Technically the concept of the Crucible is set up back in Mass Effect 1.

e: you don't have to agree with me! that's cool, I don't mind. but I'm not gonna pussyfoot around when I think someone is wrong.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

BioMe posted:

I think you are missing the point here. No one is saying ME1 should have already solved the Reaper problem completely, but "a super secret weapon out of nowhere" was not the best they could have done. And the way it works and is explained doesn't make a whole lot sense even if you ignore the deus ex machina,

Give me... hmm... two updates' time and I'll try to explain my take on it.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

It's literally the topic I want to cover when we go get Javik two updates away

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I think this is where the game really starts to run off the rails.

Corinthian: don't know who the leader is.
Shepard: I don't care if your planet is getting destroyed, I need your help to save mine!

Just terrible. It really clearly shows off how stupid a storyline it was for Shep to wander around recruiting to "Save the Earth!"

I don't fully agree myself - I think "fight for Earth" is shorthand for "get the Reapers now before they wipe out humanity and take out one of the four galactic superpowers, crippling any future resistance", but the game doesn't do a great job of spelling that out. Shepard ends up seeming a little callous in their word choice.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Flytrap posted:

Actually, I got the impression that Earth was where most of the combat was happening since the Reapers have had a strange fascination with humanity ever since Shepard killed their asses.

Twice.

Like, they sent all their best to Earth and send in their weaker forces to the rest of the galaxy, it's just the weakest of a supposedly invincible race of super monster are still a group of invincible super monsters.

Yes.

The bulk of the Reaper fleet is at Earth. At the moment, they're busy harvesting people, but once they're finished they will turn their full attention to the turians, asari and everyone else. The Reapers attacking Palaven are a small distraction force (see that intro cinematic for the Menae mission) - they're there to tie up the turian fleet... to "divide and conquer", as people've mentioned before.

Shepard wants the Primarch (and the asari, and the salarians) to commit to a united assault under the Crucible superweapon to break the back of the Reaper fleet at Earth ASAP. The asari and salarians want to just defend their own borders and worry about the long term later.

Any of you ever play a team battle in an RTS? Starcraft or something? In a 2v2 or 3v3, if your teammate gets rushed, you don't turtle up and leave him hanging, because then it turns into a 2v1, they steamroll you and you lose the match. Instead you throw everything you have to save them and punish the rusher afterwards - together.

quote:

And spreading your forces and charging the biggest Reaper force you can find is such a good idea because..?

The whole point is that they don't spread their forces. Letting the turians fight just on Palaven and the asari fight just on Thessia and the salarians fight just on Sur'kesh is spreading your forces. Letting the Reapers destroy Earth takes humanity out of the fight, and then the Reapers can destroy Palaven and take the turians out of the fight, and then the next world, and the next...

Better to rally the galaxy now while only one of the galactic powers is crippled, than to wait for humanity to be destroyed and the turians to be crippled, or the humans and the turians to be destroyed and the asari crippled, etc.

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 1, 2014

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

What you say sounds nice but none of it is in the game. It is all your own head canon or inference or however you want to put it. You just did he Palaven/Manae part. They said a few times that Palaven is getting butchered. You aren't even there. You are on a moon and there are Reapers all over. On the main planet it is just as bad, or worse than on Earth.

And later on we will be seeing the same thing. There are a ton of Reapers and they aren't all focused on Earth. It is also, at this point, only a couple days after the initial attack on Earth.

Feel free to re-watch the Primarch video and count the Reapers. There are nine in orbit facing off against the turian fleet and two on the ground on Menae. Perhaps there are more on the surface on Palaven, which is bogged down in a ground war - considerably better off than Earth, where the defence has collapsed into guerilla warfare with civilian conscripts.

e: the point of Menae is that the turians are delaying the reapers with a flank attack from their planetary defence base on the moon. if anything, the moon is tying up reapers by drawing them away from the main force proper

We don't get a good look at the (massive) Reaper fleet around Earth until the end, which may have been reinforced by Reapers rallying from other theatres/diminished by Reapers splitting off to conquer the rest of the galaxy. The Codex describes roughly "a dozen" Reapers delaying the 2nd, 3rd and 5th Fleets at Arcturus while many "dozens" more plowed through the relay to Earth, destroying 1st and 4th Fleets. 400 processor ships alone are apparently present on Earth to complete the harvest. I can't find any other numbers, however, and I don't like using the Codex as evidence.

On the Citadel, Udina says "Earth was the first Council world hit. By all reports, it faces the brunt of the attack." Shepard later says "The Reapers won't stop at Earth. They'll destroy every organic being in the galaxy if we don't find a way to stop them." The asari councillor then says "The cruel and unfortunate truth is that while the Reapers focus on Earth, we can prepare and regroup." The salarian councillor offers "If we can manage to secure our own borders," i.e. not homeworlds, "we may once again consider aiding you."

Note that the summit to rally everyone's forces isn't Shepard's idea, but the late Primarch Fedorian's.

Finally, we won't see any more Reapers plural until Thessia, towards the end of the game.

drat you for dragging me down to this level of analysis, it's so boring. :) Also, please don't use the term "headcanon", it triggers me

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 1, 2014

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Neruz posted:

Sci-fi writers have no sense of scale.

They try to justify it by saying that because of the whole Rachni thing they're super slow about opening up new Mass Relays so each species only has a half dozen worlds or something so Humanity was able to catch up super fast but it doesn't work, the real reason is because Humans Are Awesome and the story was written by Humans to be about Humans so the Humans had to be powerful enough to take centre stage.

e: It's actually kind of dissonant throughout the games because regardless of what people say what the games actually demonstrate through gameplay is that Humans Are The Best At Everything and nobody else can do anything right.

Thank you for this post, it's a good and interesting point.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

Are we in the "good" part of the game yet? Because so far our two introductions to the galaxy destroying menace hyped for the last two games has been

a) a claustrophobic series of tunnels on earth (with a pretty skybox to hide the fact that you're in a loving tunnel) while flavors of husk charge you.
b) a series of less-claustrophobic but almost identically designed arenas on a featureless moon (with a pretty skybox to hide the fact that there isn't much else going on in the actual game) while flavors of husk charge you, most of them in a several minute long turret sequence that was mercifully cut for time in this LP.

What's striking me most so far is how small everything feels! Oh my god guys, the Reapers are finally attacking. It's happening, its here, we're on the ropes its the end of days. Now fight one dozen husks again, its really important this time. Now here's a miniboss. Its a husk but big. Not like the big husks in the last game, no, these are different. Now you know we aren't loving around this time.

There are two fights against Reapers on foot, which I assume is what you're hoping for. They aren't that fun.

e: also, thank you for making a post that isn't I-Spy Reapers on Palaven

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 1, 2014

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Mr. Soop posted:

Indeed. I never quite understood some of the story driven art direction decisions for this game. Earth is getting taken over, but we're only told this and not really shown it. Meanwhile, having a huge section of Palaven burning in the background on Menae really illustrates better than the generic space battle cutscenes just how destructive the Reapers are. Even when we do see Earth, it never quite looks as hosed as Palaven does.

I keep thinking they should have reversed that part with Menae. Instead of being on Manae with Palaven burning in the background while trying to evacuate the Turian Primearch, what if Shep had to find and evacuate Anderson or Hackett instead off of a Luna base with Earth burning in the background? That would have made for a pretty epic mission, both showing the immense power of the Reapers and pumping the player up to help defend and retake Earth.

In any case, I mean, it still works alright for setting up a more blunt reason why the Turians don't leap at the chance to help the other civilizations besides space racism, but within the overall narrative of the story it somehow feels much more like a footnote than it should be as things continue to transpire, especially after Act I is over.

Also thank you for this post, which is also thinking in-depth about why the game makes choices.

You bring up an important point about Menae largely being a stopgap in the story - a mission that exists to tell the player what's going on with the turians, why they didn't just run over to defend their ally, how they suffer under the Reapers and how they react (incredibly stoically, as it happens).

Menae forms a somewhat clumsy transition from the Reapers invading to the genophage arc - it's clear Bioware really wants to do something on the krogan and the genophage, but can't find a way to get there from the invasion of Earth. So the turian councillor sends you to the turian primarch, who decides that the only way he'll help you is if you get the krogan on side, and next video we'll see the only way the krogan will help you is if you sort out the genophage. I don't think it's bad that ME3 focuses on the krogan and not the war, but it's not a smooth transition (unlike the quarian arc). I mean, strictly speaking there's no reason Victus couldn't have just asked for Alliance infantry squads to help fight the war on Palaven, or asari commandos or the Blue Suns or whoever - no, he's firm, it has to be the krogan.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Oh definitely, and Alliance squads would probably be too busy defending human colonies, the asari have turned isolationist, the Blue Suns are horrible mercenaries... Victus is fully aware its an unconventional gambit, and everyone describes him as a maverick who plays fast and loose with strategy, but it's always struck me as quite a transparent hard left-turn into Kroganville.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Pro-click. Mind if I add it to the Earth update?

quote:

I do this thing with movies and the better TV episodes/series where I watch them all twice, once to get the plot beats and enjoy it viscerally along with the normal hu-mans, and then wait a while for my initial impressions and hype/disappointment to clear up, and then watch it a second time deconstructing the gently caress out of its formal parts to create My Actual Opinion. That's sorta what I'm doing here. There is no way I'm playing this game a second time since the Citadel DLC was funny but not that funny, yet you seem like a smart dude who earnestly likes this game and your posts elsewhere are pretty legit so I'm trying to leave myself open to maybe having overlooked some stuff the first time through.

Later I'm going to do an update where I tell everyone how they should like things and deliberately come across as a bit of an arse. In reality I can't do that, but hopefully I can explain what ME3 is trying to do and how it's supposed to work as a piece.

I may have exaggerated when I said I was going to re-sell everyone on ME3.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Without pictures, this doesn't really mean anything.

Thessia is fine until its invasion at the end of the game. Sur'Kesh isn't shown to be invaded at all. The only relevant comparison is Palaven and Earth.

Palaven is invaded and fighting a ground war. Earth has lost the ground war and is now being harvested. Both have it bad, but Earth is worse off because the majority of Reapers are at Earth e: and the population is being forcibly converted into goo.

ME3 Earth : ME3 Palaven :: WW2 France :: WW2 UK

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 2, 2014

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I think I described it in a previous post as "a zombie-shooter set in a range of differently-coloured rubble environments", or something to that effect, and it's one of my big issues with the game.

Mass Effect 1, cut-and-paste dungeons and balance issues aside, really gave the player the idea of exploring a huge, open universe where all of the plot locations you visit feel unique and interesting. Mass Effect 2 cut down the physical size of the explorable universe, but you instead had a lot of focus on new character interactions, and the locations you visit still feel significant and relevant to developing the plot.

Mass Effect 3 has neither. For saying that the game was built with the intention of having you finally visit Palaven and Thessia and all these great and ancient homeworlds that are discussed in the first two games, you never get the sense that you're actually somewhere interesting or memorable, which they try to hide with an occasional 'Press B to look at the skybox' pop-up. Plus, instead of introducing new characters as in ME2, you instead get pretty much every character from the first two games coming back for no real reason in sidequests, which makes the universe feel tiny.

It creates the sense where it's neither fish nor fowl, where ME3 doesn't do particularly well as a space exploration game, and it does pretty horribly at creating the impression of being part of a great and all-consuming war. So instead you're just being told repeatedly in cutscenes how bad things are and how pointless it all is before being ordered off on a glorified fetch-quest, which all again goes back to the player's sense of agency and ability to actually influence the story being told.

Agreed! The only thing I'd say to that is my usual protest of how ME3 isn't ~really~ about either of those two things, but that's content for another update.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Neruz posted:

Pretty much, text-wise the game does an excellent job of telling you all about how bad things are but the visuals don't hold up, or hold up in the wrong way. I really do think there was a severe communications gap between the art team and the story team, or else the story changed significantly two thirds of the way in.

There was definitely a script rewrite at some point, which to be honest is par for the course with any decent-sized project. However it was mostly stuff to do with Udina, the Virmire Survivor, Thessia and the Catalyst that was affected.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Waltzing Along is confused when he says Shepard convinces Victus not to care about Palaven because Earth is somehow more important.

Shepard gets Victus off Menae at the request of the turian councillor so that Victus can attend the war summit because Victus is the new primarch. That's the only reason Victus needs to go. He's nervous because he's not good at diplomacy, but he knows his duty.

The reason Shepard mentions Earth is to explain that this is bigger than one world - Earth is also under attack, we need a galactic solution to this galactic problem, we need your fleets for the Crucible - and as a reminder that Shepard had the exact same decision and made the exact same choice - to abandon the fight on his homeworld to pursue a united response.

It's the "I need an alliance. I need the turian fleet," that confuses people, I think, because they think Shepard is speaking as a soldier for Earth (he's not, Anderson took that choice) when he's a soldier for the Crucible, for the galaxy.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Since you brought me up directly...

I am not confused by it at all. You are the one who says this is a good game. I was pointing out something that was really bad. Even a renegade Shep from the first two games wouldn't be so utterly crass as to act like Earth was more important. But here, even a full Paragon Shep, comes off like the other worlds are secondary to Earth. It's not consistent writing. And as has been written before, we are shown one thing and sort of told another.

I want you to convince me it is a good game. I felt it was a good game the first time I played it but one with a terrible ending. By the third time I had played it I thought it was a terrible game with a few really well done bits.

Emphasis mine.

quote:

SHEPARD: General Victus?

VICTUS: Yes?

SHEPARD: I'm Commander Shepard of the Normandy.

VICTUS: Ah, Commander, I know who you are. I can't wait to find out what brings you here.

SHEPARD: General, you're needed off-planet. I've come to get you.

VICTUS: It will take something beyond important for me to leave my men, or my turian brothers and sisters, in their fight.

GARRUS: Fedorian was killed. You're the new primarch.

SHEPARD: You're needed immediately to chair a summit and represent your people in the fight against the Reapers.

Victus contemplates his devastated homeworld.

VICTUS: I am primarch of Palaven? Negotiating for the turian hierarchy?

SHEPARD: Yes.

VICTUS: I've spent my whole life in the military. I'm no diplomat... I hate diplomats.

SHEPARD: War is your resume. At a time like this, we need leaders who have been through that hell.

VICTUS: I like that. You're right.

SHEPARD: And honestly, uniting these races may take as much strength as facing the Reapers.

SHEPARD: (indicating the ruined battlefield) See this devastation, Primarch? Double that for Earth. I need an alliance. I need the turian fleet.

VICTUS: Give me a moment to say goodbye to my men.

Victus walks over to his men.

GARRUS: Without him down here, there's a good chance we lose this moon.

SHEPARD: Without him up there, there's a good chance we lose everything.

Shepard actually says nothing about going to Earth, or fighting for Earth, or abandoning Palaven. Shepard brings up Earth to tell Victus that he's not alone, that he can't fight alone.

Remember that after this sequence Victus says that if the turians are going to help the rest of the galaxy, the rest of the galaxy (the krogan) have to help the turians (and fight in the ground war on Palaven). Palaven is very definitely not being abandoned or left to fend for itself. After all, Shepard is asking Victus to make the exact same decision he did at the end of Earth - leave the day-to-day ground fight for one homeworld in favour of rallying the galaxy to save all homeworlds.

If you've already decided that ME3 is awful, there's not a lot I can or should do to convince you. That's your opinion, that's fine. And if I'm missing something, then show me where in the text above. I have provided you with convenient videos of Mass Effect 3 in case you ever want to make a point substantiated by the actual game. But I can't persuade closed minds.

e: the reason I belabour this point is that it's really important that we see how ME3 shows the asari approach (each race should just worry about their own thing, thanks) is wrong and Shepard's approach (let's try a whole new way of doing things together) is right. reeeeally important.

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 2, 2014

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

In the next update, we'll be going to Earth with the turian fleet, since apparently that's what we unrealistically convinced the primarch to do.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

quote:

CORINTHUS: Commander Shepard. Heard you were coming, but I didn't believe it. General Corinthus.

SHEPARD: I've come to get Primarch Fedorian.

CORINTHUS: Primarch Fedorian is dead. His shuttle was shot down an hour ago as it tried to leave the moon.

SHEPARD: That's going to complicate things.

Shepard and Corinthus exchange some dialogue about turian losses and their lack of success against the Reapers.

SHEPARD: I'm sorry. I heard [the primarch] was a good man.

CORINTHUS: And a friend. He would have been an outstanding diplomat.

SHEPARD: So what happens now?

Corinthus explains that somewhere out there there's a new primarch, but he won't know who until he re-establishes contact with Palaven Command.

Again, already the primarch's/Hierarchy's idea to leave Menae and attend the war summit - not Shepard's.

quote:

Shepard returns from the comms tower.

SHEPARD: What have you got?

CORINTHUS: As your partner said, succession is usually simple. But right now, the hierarchy's in chaos - so many dead or MIA.

SHEPARD: I need someone - I don't care who, as long as they can get us the turian resources we need.

GARRUS: I'm on it, Shepard. We'll find you the primarch.

Much backslapping ensues.

quote:

Corinthus explains that the new primarch is General Adrien Victus. Garrus and Liara provide background information - Victus is a bit of a maverick.

SHEPARD: Unconventional thinking might be the only way to save Palaven. And Earth.

There's one line there that's a bit cold-blooded ("I need someone - I don't care who..."), but it comes to me as Shepard asking Corinthus to get to the point already.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Part 5: Form

Further Reading

KTR Artificial Voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qobhDJ_vEOc

Faith: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/11/25/mirrors-edge-producer-depressed-by-sexy-fan-verision-of-faith/

Jack and Miranda: http://www.uwbnext.com/editorials/jack-and-miranda-female-constructs-in-mass-effect

Eclipse Phase: http://eclipsephase.com/

Here's a meaty topic: women. What do we think about the depiction of women in games? I call out Jack and Miranda in the video, but see the link above for a different perspective.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Geostomp posted:

I know I would have liked her a lot more in ME2 if that were her original design instead of looking like something out of a bad trip. It's hard not to improve from the belt-bra.

Agreed. I like that she dresses very aggressively - using her nakedness as a weapon, almost - and I wouldn't want her to cover up that much, but the belts do look uncomfortable.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Sombrerotron posted:

Questionable art design aside, I've always considered it a bit of a pity that EDI was humanised at all. Although I'm not the sort to dismissively refer to character developments such as this as "Pinocchio syndrome", I can't help but wonder if an opportunity was lost to explore a road that's probably a little less commonly traversed in popular sci-fi. It makes sense, I believe, for EDI to strive to continue improving upon herself (itself, if you will), but given EDI's role as a life-supporting, guardian-type AI with a powerful sense of right and wrong, the arguably more logical direction for that pursuit would've been towards a kind of godhood. I feel that would've tied in well themetically, and could've provided a good source of conflict for Shepard and co. throughout ME3 - and possibly a good reason to destroy all Reaper tech, and therefore also EDI, at the end.

EDIT: The pursuit of achieving godlike qualities is of course quite common in sci-fi, but I'd say that usually it's humans (or possibly other humanoid, but at least organic, beings) who attempt this; AI's goals tend to amount to either A) kill all non-AI or B) be more like non-AI.

This is something that will come up again with Legion and the geth. One of ME2's strongest ideas was its treatment of the geth - unfortunately hidden away behind character dialogue right at the end of the game.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Soricidus posted:

Where "people" is defined as "a vocal minority consisting almost entirely of men" and "nice things" is defined as "gratuitous T&A all the time".

ME1 allowed its women to wear actual protective armor in combat situations, and I don't remember anyone ever complaining about that. How many people seriously thought ME2 was improved by letting them admire Miranda's asscrack in the middle of an intense firefight? Would it really have ruined the game if Jack had covered a little more skin in the presence of bullets and shrapnel? Of course not.

As the article I linked suggests, on the one hand Miranda, literally an engineered perfect woman, is a very appropriate statement on how men (Miranda's father) want women to be and appear; on the other, CAMERA ANGLE: BUTTSHOT. Do we need it/her to be rubbed that closely into our faces?

I vaguely remember an anecdote from a games developer about constantly getting sexualised female character designs back from the art department regardless of feedback, and how they got into a protracted debate with the lead artist who just really really really wanted the female lead to have big T&A.

I don't think we should smother all artistic expression under layers of 'practical' armour, but there's always a line between meaningful costuming and titillation.

e: Jacob wears a similarly impractical outfit to Miranda, but you don't notice because the camera focuses on his face and he's not quite so disproportionate with his body shape.

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 3, 2014

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Sombrerotron posted:

things accidentally (maybe) get inappropriate

Arguably neglect is just as responsible as actual pandering. FemShep has a number of animations that don't look right because she's using the ManShep skeleton rig - thinking in particular of her sitting animation when wearing the dress from the Kasumi mission. Oof.

That's almost definitely non intentional, but it's still bad, just like how female Shepards had to make do with a generic facemorph until ME3. And who knows if that was only because Marketing thought it'd be a good idea?

quote:

The same group of posters spitballing for pages and pages about the specific force disposition of a spacefleet of colossal immortal cybernetic cuttlefish with death lasers in the opening moves of an apocalyptic galactic war is invited to talk about the measurable sexualization of women over the course of a series' run and goes "welp, its a made up fantasy reality nothing about it has to make sense, dudes will be dudes right?"

Maybe they're feminist allies who are very keenly aware that they can only experience this issues from a position of privilege and don't want to be accidentally insensitive. That's plausible.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Actually, would like to highlight that point you made about the sexualisation getting noticeably worse as the series goes on. All right, so ME1 had asari strippers, but ME2 has that and a space blouse and space lingerie and an adjutant that strips off for you if you have dinner with her, and ME3 has all the above plus the sexbot.

Normally I disagree with people saying ME got 'CODified' to appeal to mainstream audiences more as time went on, but maybe here they have a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I have the most amazingly relevant quote for this discussion, but I'm saving it for a later video.

• Locked thread