Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
ME3 probably has the best combat and character writing of the three games, but it definitely has the worst overall plot. That said, an adept specced for maximum force and damage with Lash is an amazing rear end in a top hat physics pinball machine.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

ME3 really got the ending it needed for its characters with the Citadel DLC, and the Extended Cut fixes most of the plot ending, so really the only sour note I have left about the end of the game is no awesome final boss fight, but that's not a huge deal.

Citadel had the game's real final boss fight, and it was absolutely amazing as a vanguard.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

How's Zaeed's DLC in ME3? I only played From Ashes (and the MP DLC) and I never see anyone talk about it.

Zaeed's DLC is from ME2, and it's... okay. It's about as short as one of the firebase missions from ME3 and ends in a really dumb "pet/kill puppy" moral choice.

His appearances in ME3 if you import a save where he survived the suicide mission and stayed loyal are pretty hilarious, though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

At least the plot justifies why it's a short trip to a museum rather than something like Lair of the Shadow Broker's blasting through the rooftops of Illium.

Reapers are knocking on the door and they drop you off at the nearest friendly beachhead. You end up using pretty much the entirety of the local military as ablative armor just to get to where you need to go.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Probably the worst part about a Universe in which Grunt is dead is that you miss out on one of the best scenes in ME3: Citadel.

In fact ME3: Citadel is a really good reason to keep everyone alive Yes, even Mordin (at least through ME2).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

BioMe posted:

I have to say I'm really surprised people like the Citadel. Especially the purely character-building segments. That was really loving awkward to play and I had to stop. I mean I like the characters and all, but I don't want a make-believe social life with them.

And the comedy bits were obnoxious too.
Because the combat is fun, the banter is good, they re introduce Wrex as a squadmate again and gives you some time to hang out with your space bros. I'm sorry if you didn't like that but a lot of people did.

The Armax arena and the phantom armor doesn't hurt either.

Iamblikhos posted:

Anyone who defends Kai Leng in any capacity is either a troll or has something seriously wrong with them. Period.

The only likeable thing about him is that he dies.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

StrifeHira posted:

Basically yes. It's more like Mass Effect 3's multiplayer with different locations and you playing as Shepard. You also get to choose from any surviving squadmates during the matches.

This includes people like Jack, Miranda, and Zaeed. The only issue is that they all have their powers configured exactly the same way and you can't re spec them.

It even has it's own little plot mission that culminates in you fighting every enemy in the game at once.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mrit posted:

Did you read the last 3 pages? The wailing and gnashing of teeth by some posters about criticism of a video game/those who obsess over it.

A fun, but dumb video game. Its just a game.

Because some vocal people are broken and can't get over the fact that their krogan waifu isn't in the game doesn't mean that it is literally impossible for people to simultaneously enjoy a character and realize that said character is not real and does not actually exist. Or even to think that their enjoyment of a game is improved when said character is included.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ungulateman posted:

So, uh, this LP sold me on buying the ME series again (properly this time). Just completed ME1 again.

After playing through its ending again, I find it hard to believe anyone can defend the Green ending of ME3. Who looks at End-Boss Robo-Saren and thinks "Well, clearly if this was Shepard instead all the problems would be solved and this would be a satisfying ending to the series!"?

When the series' first and most obvious reference to it is so easy to revile, who can blame people for assuming Synthesis was 'wrong' or 'bad'? Even speaking from a thematic, subtextual standpoint, Saren encapsulates everything wrong with the Reapers - how does a critic reconcile this ugly, horrendously flawed view of synthesis with what Mass Effect 3 promises us under the same name?

Not to get ahead of myself here, though. This LP's barely begun, and my re-journeying through the Mass Effect series has hardly started too. There's plenty more to enjoy.

(Keep up the good work!)

Uhh.. That's the Blue ending, not Green. Green is Shepard forcibly turning everyone everyone into a cyborg and absolutely no one having a problem with it

E:

Arglebargle III posted:

How could anyone have a problem with it when it's so vague and meaningless? You all have circuit board tattoos, war is over!

I love how before the extended edition the culmination of Shepard's ultimate sacrifice was "EDI and Joker can bone now."

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 24, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Look, it's simple.

Synthesis leads to the Megaman Legends future.

Impossible.

Mass Effect is actually getting a sequel

:v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Javik needs a romance option.

More people need to realize that Citadel is the best DLC

Note: there are obviously Citadel DLC spoilers in that link.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Because Bioware's community managers don't clamp down on the crazy. And in some cases encourage people doing poo poo like that.

Gigglesquee.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The ME1 Alignment/Skill system was pretty stupid. The game expected you to max out your persuade/intimidate/electronics/decryption skills as high as you could get them at any one point in time. Meaning that you could, in theory, gain enough paragon points mid conversation to tick you up to the threshold where you now have free points therefore meaning you can no longer pass the persuade check at the end of the conversation and have to kill the guys you were just glad handing.

It's also possible to encounter Master level lockboxes on the first planet they send you to, don't get me started on the fact that there are two different hacking skills and which one you actually need for a specific box is left up to the whims of the designer.

What I'm saying is ME2's hacking systems are much better than ME1s, and ME3's "Shove my multi tool into the door until the damned thing surrenders" is a welcome reprieve.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

In general I'd say crew. But I don't remember what plot point you're talking about. So whichever results in an aftermath anecdote that seems interesting.

Him being alive has him throw his authority behind you if you tell the fleet to stand down, and is one of the things that lets you get peace between the two factions

But I don't think Lt. Danger is doing that so 'whichever is more interesting' I suppose.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Wrex will notice the sabotage no matter who does it. Wreav will not.
Mordin will leave some "in case of my death" bread crumbs for Wrex to follow. If both Wrex and Eve are dead you can convince Mordin to sabotage the genophage as Wreav will pose a threat to the galaxy without Eve to reign him in. Otherwise he insists on doing the right thing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

(One of) The problems with Asari, narratively, is that they're all bisexual supermodel wizards who live forever. But they act like what teenagers think that means. It's just like all the vampire/immortal/angel/whatever YA literature characters.

Liaara's Father was pretty okay, as is post LOTSB Liaara.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Interesting. To be honest, I often forget or incorrectly reconstruct what my choices were in a Bioware game. So it's possible I told Tali she was dumb because that is my firm belief.

fake edit: Actually let me go look that up, because I could swear...

more faked edit: Hummm. Yep. I must have unloyaltied Tali by taking Legion's side.

Welp. Still. The whole concoction that they're trying to implement character deaths in response to perceiving that the player doesn't like a character point stands. After all, I don't choose to kill her. She dies because Shepherd took someone else's side in an argument, and that made a reactor overload.

Either way, the idea that Bioware was desperately trying to find ways of killing characters that wouldn't make someone reload and try again is fascinating to me. Even as someone who's part of the problem.

With most of those fights it's possible to regain the loyalty after a mission or two by continually talking to them and going "hey, look, it wasn't that bad, chill the gently caress out." But the Legion-Tali argument happens right before the suicide mission at the earliest, so if you don't paragade it out then you've got to go visit some planets and let members of your crew get turned into slushies.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Xander77 posted:

I'm like 60% sure you have to talk / gun down the Vermire survivor regardless of what your playthrough was like. Taking certain actions beforehand might make it easier to talk them down, but I wouldn't even count on that.

I let Ashley live if only because I was so tired of having to use the same few squadmates over and over. And then I never actually used her on a mission.

There's a hidden trust level that gets calculated based on a bunch of things like if you romanced them in 1, cheated on them in 2, and visited them in the hospital. If the net value is below -1 you can't convince them, if it's 4 or higher you don't have to talk them down beyond lowering your gun, between 0-3 it's a reputation check.

Ashley is pretty good just because Inferno Grenades are a great power and fun as hell to have her use her NPC Psychic powers to magically teleport to the enemies and explode instantly 6 times in a row.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 3, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Honestly in ME3 the Council finally comes into focus; these guys are basically ambassadors and have limited authority to make decisions regarding their home governments. Shepard's decision to go talk to the Salarian and Turian governments directly makes so much sense that it seems like humanity has become much more politically savvy after 3 years with a Council seat. It's like, insignificant nations go to the UN, real players go talk to the US directly. In 2183 the Systems Alliance is a scrub state stuck dealing with the Council, in 2186 the Alliance is big and respected enough to talk directly to the Heirarchy.

I always liked how ME and ME2 handled humans' place in the galaxy. From the Council perspective, Humanity is a new and troubling presence on the scene. They're a relative backwater for now but their homeworld is overpopulated and the Alliance has been deeply militarized by war with the Turians, so they're expanding their territory and military at an alarming pace. They show a disturbing lack of respect for the status quo and are not-so-secretly circumventing arms control treaties. But fortunately, they live between Council space and the Batarians, so let's sit back and watch them duke it out over the Attican Traverse. Maybe they'll mellow out in the long run.

Shepard gets to decide whether this strategy pays off or blows up spectacularly.

You know, this also means that the highest form of political power the Council has is empowering the Specters, since they're basically empowered to do whatever the gently caress they want the Council can just Specter some guy that has a goal in line with theirs and set him loose on the galaxy. The only downside is that for Every Shepard or Blasto, you get a Saren or two.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

not posted:

Kai Leng should turn up only if you're nasty to Conrad Verner. And he is actually Conrad Verner with a grudge, who made up the name 'Kai Leng'.

They couldn't do that because of the save glitch in ME1.

ME2 assumes that everyone was mean to Conrad Verner.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It's worth it for Conrad's contribution in ME3, particularly if you fulfill the criteria for his asset to trigger.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

You've never experienced true joy until you've used the pre-nerf Krysae, explosive or inferno rounds optional.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

For what it's worth, I like Aria. Most of the Asari are either inoffensively nice or "Will sell your kidneys for a dollar." scheming evil. Aria's just Aria, she rules Omega because Omega needs a ruler. She doesn't like you but she isn't actively against you and she helps you when your goals align. She also gives you Lash and Flare. So, you know, there's that.

Edit: Update on the bottom of the last page.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MidnightVulpine posted:

I can't say I hate her though. I was actually hoping Aria would get more use than as just a quest giver with a punctuation mark over her head. But you never see her in action. You barely see much real personality from her when it comes to her being a leader. It's a big waste of a potentially interesting character that leaves her falling flat.

The Omega DLC is all about Aria in action, she even becomes a temporary squadmate along with the universe's only female turian.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MidnightVulpine posted:

Sadly, I've been less inclined to buy up Mass Effect 3's DLC. I only have Leviathan. I might have to reconsider, eventually.

Leviathan is easily the weakest of the DLCs. Omega has a fairly self contained storyline with some decent combat and it gives you two biotic bonus powers that are *really good* if you're an adept or sentinel, and Citadel is fairly polarizing, some hate it, but I loved the hell out of it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

3 and 2 at least seem to have better ideas about what constitutes a renegade choice. More "I'm the captain of the ship and you will refer to me as such" and "Are you seriously threatening me with death while standing on an exposed gas main?"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It's more that Paragon shepard doesn't care for it, he's friendly and will let his inferior officers refer to him by name rather than rank.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well that's what happens when the Alliance facial recognition database has to be rebuilt from scratch every year. I mean the first time it even lost all his personal information too.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Shepard didn't survive the suicide mission but they realize that Shepard is more valuable as a figurehead so there's just a rotating cast of soldiers who get upgraded to 'the shepard' when the previous one dies.
"Hey you, over there! You're Commander Shepard now, now get in that jail cell. Also you're apparently having sex with a Turian now so here are some books to try and figure out how that works."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

So how many times have you wondered to yourself what Tali's sweat must taste like?

Xander77 posted:

Ditto.

Also, note how her appearance coincides with the fatal confrontation between Liara and her mother. Kinda a shame that the Rachni queen speaks through a random Asari, rather than Benesia's corpse.

Maybe the Rachni Queen thought it was somewhat crass.

"Goodbye my little wing."
"Oh no, mother!"
"THEY TOOK MY CHILDREN AWAY! THEY DO NOT KNOW THE SONG!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

In ME3, you can find out that the Geth let the Quarian leave the Rannoch area and then stopped pursuing them. They viewed the attack as an existential threat, not the fact that the Quarians live.
Having just played through that section, it's something like "We were still learning, we had no idea what the ramifications would be if we wiped out an entire race, so we let them go."

Aces High posted:

You know, if I didn't find Tali so amusing I wouldn't have been as inclined to let the Quarians live either considering what you learn about the build up to the conflict, and everything you learn in ME 1 and 2. Although I am kind of curious, in ME 1 Tali tells us that the Geth don't take kindly to visitors and are very territorial, yet in ME3 if you get everyone to play together immediately a bunch of Primes show up and are like "how may we assist you, Creators?". Does that mean Tali was just being incredulous or that our good friend Legion is THAT good at changing his family's mind on organics?

May have been heretic geth, or it may have just been them trying to chase the Quarians away for fear that they'd try to kill them all again like they did in the morning war.

The implication behind the Geth helping out the quarians if you sue for peace is that they trust Shepard and see him as an example for all organics, considering the meeting between Legion and Shepard is enshrined within the geth consensus.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 2, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

What? No. What the hell is Liara then? The way I remember it is that once galactic communities established and Asari found out they could procreate with other species, then it became a social stigma to be "pureblooded". Liara says this much in ME1. I think a random conversation in ME2 on Illium brings this up as well.

Pureblood Asari and the children of purebloods have a chance to become Ardat yakshi which are sterile as they kill their mates rather than pulling DNA from them. We're not told when Ardat Yakshi started showing up but it might have been sort of like an inbreeding thing, they just happened to get space flight before it would have reached a critical mass of death succubi.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I meant that they became more common as the Ardat-Yakshi genes spread out amongst the populace making it more likely that someone would get both copies. It's not explained precisely how it works, whether it requires something from both parents, or if just the mother is responsible and all of her children become Ardat Yakshi regardless. Since Samara had 3 in a row.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The problem with green, along with all the endings, is that it's a complete rear end pull.
Oh yeah also you can turn everyone in the universe into cyborgs, even the plants, and your ship, and your car. We didn't realize this was an option before because I'm apparently only omniscient up until the point I decide I'm not. No you don't get to ask their opinion of this, they'll all love it because it's the super best thing ever. So do it do it do it DO IT.

They were also super manipulative in basically forcing green as the only 'logical' and 'correct' path. Since Red Kills the quarians, geth, and EDI and Blue is loving insane. And the fact that the classic Commander Shepard "gently caress you and gently caress the odds, I'm going to win anyway" ending is basically the writer himself killing Shepard for not adhering to the forced narrative and then puppeting up someone who did.

That's what bothered me about the ending the most, the fact that all throughout the game you see your choices come to fruition, plotlines resolve or entwine themselves into the main narrative, and they're all functionally meaningless outside of their wartime funbux value working towards allowing you to choose green if you pass a certain threshold.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Neruz posted:

And none of that actually solves the problem of 'whenever people make AI's the AI's inevitably end up in conflict with their creators and one side ends up extinct' which is endemic to the Mass Effect universe.

That's only a problem because the writers really really wanted it to be a problem, but it falls flat at the end of Rannoch. Even EDI realized it was kind of a self fulfilling prophecy, and one that could be rectified by people making the AIs more like themselves. Of course a hive mind of networked intelligences interested only in communal advancement isn't going to think like organics do or have comprable values to organics. But an AI raised and socialized amongst organics will.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Neruz posted:

Was I the only one who saw ME3's story basically trying to explain to Shepard that he has been fighting the wrong enemy the whole time; the Reapers are just a symptom of the actual problem which is that organic and synthetic life are incapable of coexisting?

Ignoring the fact that this plot thread was buried in ME2 by Legion's loyalty mission and rebuilt from whole cloth because someone thought that Dark Energy wasn't a meaningful enough motivation.

The true enemy all along was Whichever Leviathan programmer forgot to double check his code for a 'turn creators into meat slurry and shove into jello mold' loop

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Neruz posted:

Exactly, Shepard is the solution to the cycle. That's why Shepard is the final piece needed for the Catalyst to work.

So at that point I guess the question is Why did ghost child completely ignore Cybernetics as an option? I mean honestly it's logic is a little twisted to begin with, if synthetics are the problem then why would turning organics into synthetics do anything meaningful to solve that problem? Ignoring the fact that it's somehow building giant metal ships by smelting down carbon based life forms. And it's building machines *out* of organics which is itself cybernetics sort of, just the wrong way around.

ME3 was a super fun game, the ending has some serious issues, the major point of contention appears to be what those issues are.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Like someone else pointed out, they didn't even bother to add character flags.

Because once a character's arc is done they become a war asset and cease mattering. The only ones that show up again are the ME2 squadmates. If you don't let the Vermire Survivor back onto the squad they turn into an asset and disappear completely, I'm not even sure if they show up again at the party or the comm station like the others do.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I don't think it's in any way implicit that Joker flies the Normandy into a live-fire zone, parks it in front of Harbinger for several minutes while everyone bellyaches, and then all the NPCs up and fly away from the one and only battle to save the galaxy for no real reason. On the basis that this entire sequence of events makes no pissing sense whatsoever. It's the retconniest of retcons but is added purely so you have a narrative basis for things that happen in the original ending and appear to have just been pulled from a hat. Really, for a AAA-title, this is shockingly bad. Not "could have been improved" bad, but "should never have been released in this state" bad.

Oh god, that scene. The only answer is that Harbinger is either the politest villain ever, or the stupidest. "Well I can't see Shepard behind that overturned truck, obviously I killed him and I'll just ignore the building sized spaceship that I have on previous occasions singled out as a target." That scene is a result of them trying to weld together the contradictory facts of "Shepard takes squadmates with him to beam" and "Normandy flees the fight randomly with EDI onboard so she can cybersex joker in the green ending". It's a really bad case of Hudson wanting to have his cake and eat it too because it still doesn't explain how he picked up all the people left at the FOB, or Steve. Since the entire point was that it was too dangerous to take a frigate class ship that close to the front lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Shepard will also refer to it as legion, even if you never activated it and immediately shipped it off to the iMan.

• Locked thread