Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Mass Effect team\writers made some extremely questionable narrative choices throughout the 3 games which strongly suggest that either they had no over-arching plans at all beyond 'Reapers!' or that none of the writers ever communicated properly with each other (the third unsaid alternitive is that one of the lead people is a George Lucas who keeps using his clout to gently caress poo poo up).

Still, that said I am interested to see what you have to say about the game. I don't actually remember a whole lot about it apart from the fact that after I finished the game I thought to myself "Haha! I was right and it worked! That was the stupidest thing I have ever done."

Neruz fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Waltzing Along posted:

2 - Even though you said you feel this is a good game, so far you haven't really shown anything that was particularly good but have pointed out a lot that is bad or could have been done better. This is mainly in terms of the gameplay. The story stuff has been neutral.

That is probably because almost all the parts of ME3 that are even remotely worthy of praise have nothing to do with the main plotline. I expect we'll start seeing more good things when Lt. Danger starts sidequesting.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Endorph posted:

Yeah, you want actually offensive writing, look at Isabella from DA2.

"She's bi, so that means she talks about sex constantly!"

Eh, it's been awhile since I played DA2 but after finishing it I came away with the impression that Isabella was horribly emotionally scarred due to her past and the sex talk was just her way of hiding that. At first she seems like a pretty transparent male sex fantasy but from memory her backstory involves a shitton of abuse and generally not nice things (and that's just what she's willing to reveal) and her coarse attitude is a coping mechanism for that.

Maybe I was just reading too much into it, or maybe you weren't reading enough eh? :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
So what, her characterisation as a person trying to bury their past trauma beneath shallow physical distractions would be acceptible if she was heterosexual but because she's bisexual that's not okay?

Like, the characterisation of 'all sex all the time until you actually talk to her and get her to stop lying and start talking about how she really feels' made sense to me from the perspective of her using all the sex talk to keep from forming deep emotional attachments that might hurt her again; she is deliberately trying to keep everyone uncomfortable and at arms length while at the same time is trying to hide from her own memories by drowning her senses in things like alcohol and sex. That also 'explains' (hurr) her bisexuality; she doesn't really care who she has sex with because for her it's not about having sex with someone it's about drowning out the memories. Just a tool she uses to try and forget her past.

Sure it's not perfect but Isabella came across as one of the better developed characters in DA2 to me. I will admit though that you don't really get any of deeper motivations if you don't persue her as a romance goal and unlock all her dialogue options. There's plenty of room for improvement but as characters in video games go she had a lot more depth and underlying logic to her actions than the characters in most other games.

e: Hell if you don't romance Isabella at least a little bit to get certain dialogue options I don't think she ever tells you the whole truth; Isabella lies almost constantly to the player about almost everything at first.

Sometimes I feel like video gamers have become so inured to flat, sexist characterisation that we're starting to see them where they do not actually exist.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 28, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Endorph posted:

No, it'd be pretty dumb if she was straight, but since she's bi it took a jump from 'stupid' to 'actively offensive.'

Why?

Like, I'm not trying to be offensive or anything. I genuinely do not understand how her sexuality makes her characterisation any worse. If anything her sexuality is a logical result of her past experiences.

Endorph posted:

And again, like I said, sure, maybe that's well written characterization, whether or not a character is well written is kind of debatable, so I'm not going to argue with you on that - but you can at least see why someone would find the character stupid and mildly offensive, right? They made the decision to write a bi character who constantly talks about sex. I find that dumb and mildly offensive regardless of what reasons the character may have, because the character isn't a real person, the character is a work of fiction constructed by some random game writers who made the decisions on every part of the characterization. Their hands weren't tied. If they'd wanted to dial back the sex stuff, they easily could have. If they'd wanted to axe it entirely, they could have.

I can, but I don't think that just because on the surface a character appears stupid and mildly offensive means that the writers did something wrong. Tons of people in reality appear stupid and offensive on the surface but are just projecting that facade to the people around them so I would expect to see more and more characters like that in video games as devs get better at doing interesting and complicated characters.

Like, I dunno about you but I know a couple of people who deliberately steer conversations towards purile, mildly offensive subjects to avoid talking about the things that actually upset them. It's a pretty normal coping mechanism.

Endorph posted:

And keep in mind you're talking about a character who at one point says 'I like big boats and I cannot lie.'

Honestly I'm torn between that line actually being in character for her and it being one of the Devs seeing an opportunity for a terrible joke and being unable to resist.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 28, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Endorph posted:

The fact that you can bust out a line like that is what makes her characterization offensive to me. Like I'm not trying to do the morally outraged, I am on the high horse thing here, I think she's a mildly dumb character at best, but come on.

Well we're getting into some seriously thorny ground here and I have no personal experience with this particular matter but I am given to understand that there are in fact people who seek out sex even with people they have no real physical attraction to purely for the blinding effect; they're only looking for sex because it feels good and temporarily makes them forget about their problems.

While I will freely admit that there is a lot of room for improvement I think Isabella's characterisation is logically consistant and makes sense based on her character and is a sign that game devs are slowly taking steps in at least vaguely the right direction when it comes to characterisation.

I feel like I'm getting the impression that you feel there are some aspects of human thought and behaviour that simply should never appear\be explored in video games, if so then I suggest we stop this discussion here because we're never going to reach any kind of agreement. If not then some clarification about why exactly Isabella's characterisation is objectively bad (not offensive or childish, you can have a character that is offensive but still a good character) would really help me because I'm having serious difficulty making some of these connections. Are you just conflating 'offends me = bad character' or is it more complex than that?

e: Like I feel like I'm over here saying "Given her character, the personality she displays makes sense and is at least consistant is not particularly well written" and then you're saying "Well her character shouldn't be written like that in the first place!" Am I getting closer?

Neruz fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 28, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Endorph posted:

Dude, my entire point is that I didn't think she was badly written, or rather I didn't really care whether or not she was well-written. Like, I just don't care - I think DA2 is a poorly written game all around, but I'm not going to get into that debate because that isn't my point. I said she was offensive, not that she was badly written - I said 'even if the characterization is good' about five times.

And I don't think there are elements of human behavior that should never be explored in fiction, of course not, but I do think that when you are writing about a minority in society, one that faces persecution - even if you are a part of that group - you should consider carefully what you are writing and how it could read to other people, both those who belong to the group and those who don't. I feel like Dragon Age 2 pays a lot of lipservice to being progressive without actually being so, and so I don't think they considered these things as carefully as they could have, but there are plenty of people out there who disagree and think the game is a massive leap forward for gaming. Which, well, comes down to opinion.

This all started just because I said I thought she was an offensive character, anyway, which, I mean, can't really be wrong? What offends people is going to change from person to person. I think they shouldn't have written the character that way, but I never said they should be prevented from writing characters that way in the future.

Alright I think I see what you're getting at now; I guess it just never occured to me to see Isabela as a statement about bisexual people in real life, from my pov she's just a character in a piece of fiction :shrug:

This seems like a good place to stop the conversation to me; it looks like we simply have a difference of opinion as to what makes a good character.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 28, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Endorph posted:

Well, I mean, it's not like fiction forms fully sprung from the ground. People sat down and wrote it, and presumably they thought about what they were writing at some point. You can't divorce fiction from real life, because writers bring their own biases and their own world view to every work of fiction they create, and it's people in real life that are consuming the fiction.

True, but I feel I should point out that it is possible to write a story in which there is a character who is an african-american crazy ax murderer without making a statement that you believe all african-americans are crazy ax murderers (or whatever doing whatever, the concept is pretty much universal) so unless I see actual signs that the writer is trying to suggest that what they've written is a statement about reality I assume it isn't.

Yes, writers do write characters in specific ways to make statements about how they view the world and how they think the world should be, but they don't always do that. Sometimes a character is just a character.

I guess I'm just more optimistic about people's motivations than you are :v:

e: It probably doesn't help that extremely flawed characters with deep emotional trauma are usually more interesting to write than well adjusted 'normal' people are.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 28, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Endorph posted:

Well, if that's the only black character in your story, you have created a world in which all known african-americans are crazy ax murderers. How people take that is up to them, but you can see why that's a problem.

I can, but I guess I see that as a problem with the people doing the reading, not with the writer. Or at least not entirely with the writer.

E: Also, going back to the LP (:v:) I always thought the reason that the office area only has that handful of offices is because it's specifically the chunk of the presidium that the humans all got stuffed in. Wasn't there a bunch of conversations back in ME1 about how the council basically stuffed all the humans in a corner of the presidium because they didn't like the humans. If you look around you can see a bunch of corridors and stuff going off into the distance that aren't real terrain and you can never go to and I had assumed that was meant to imply that you were only accessing the small part where the humans are rather than the entire presidium.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 28, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Also with regard to Liara being a terrible Shadow Broker, I suspect that in fact quite a few people know who the Shadow Broker is at present but by the time ME3 rolls around absolutely no-one wants to deal with the hell that would come down upon their heads if they hosed with one of Shepard's crewmembers. Especially since by all accounts she does the whole information brokering thing quite well; it's entirely probable that most of the major players in the galaxy just feel that things are acceptible with Liara as the Broker, at least for now.

At the very least she's probably a better boss to work for than that Yahg.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
That goddamn child, I know what Bioware were trying to do with that child but holy poo poo I have literally never seen a clumsier and more annoying implimentation of symbolism than that drat child.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I feel I should point out that if any of us lived in a world where an immortal unstoppable player character also lived we would probably have very different views about how politics should work :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

BioMe posted:

I'm pretty sure the justification for Spectres being above the law was that they still have to answer to the Council for their actions. So the "Lalala, not listening!" response is kind of stupid considering it's solely their job to keep their agents in control, when the representatives of an entire species is telling them one has gone rogue.

No Spectres are above the law because they are supposed to be better than the law. Saren was literally the first Spectre to ever go rogue in the entire history of the Council since its founding. Until Saren happened Spectres were trusted implicitly because all Spectres had been trustworthy. Being a Spectre was supposed to be a position of great honor and responsibility and the idea of someone abusing that power to go against the Council was literally unthinkable.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Huh really, must have missed that. The only reason I could see for the council absolutely refusing to believe Saren went rogue in ME1 was because it was a thing that literally never happened but if it has happened in the past then welp ME writers are bad at making sense.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
We should have discovered the Crucible in ME2 and started building it then, instead we got Mass Effect: Random Pointless Intermissions.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Rogue0071 posted:

Sovereign was supposed to observe and signal the Reaper fleet to activate the relay. There's no indication that his backup plan wasn't just ad libbed once plan A failed or that any previous race managed to block the Citadel attack.

Actually I thought there was every indication that his first attempt with the Rachni and then subsequent attempt with the Geth were both completely and totally made up on the spot because the Citadel hadn't worked properly and he didn't know why.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Flytrap posted:

Yeah, I don't recall Javik adding much besides his unique brand of rear end in a top hat (which is more important than story anyway).

Javik has some amazing conversations with other characters on certain missions. The mission where you go to the Asari homeworld and check out their fancy Prothean artifacts if you take Javik and Liara along then Javik has some hilariously blunt dialogue where he basically reveals that everything the Asari thought they knew about the Protheans was wrong and Liara has a sort of ongoing moment of sad revelation.

But if you don't know the correct mission\character combos to get all his conversations then you'll miss a bunch of useful stuff he has to say.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Javik would probably feel a lot less like a pointless info dump character if he had any actual visible impact on the galaxy. He is a literal living Prothean and while he doesn't know a whole lot about their tech due to being a soldier he still has a lot of really important information locked in his head, especially for the Council races. But because he's DLC he can't have any non-superficial impact on the game so you miss out on the part where Javik takes the air out of the entire Asari species sense of superiority by revealing what the Protheans really thought about the lesser beings.

He does also have some rather entertaining rear end in a top hat moments throughout the story too and gets decidedly sarcastic by the end of the game which is fun and amusing.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Flytrap posted:

Actually, I got the impression that Earth was where most of the combat was happening since the Reapers have had a strange fascination with humanity ever since Shepard killed their asses.

Twice.

Like, they sent all their best to Earth and send in their weaker forces to the rest of the galaxy, it's just the weakest of a supposedly invincible race of super monster are still a group of invincible super monsters.

I believe this is what is supposedly happening; I recall some vague references in-game to the brunt of the Reaper forces attacing Earth because they are sick of Shepard's poo poo. Harbinger in particular has an obsession with Shepard after the events of ME2. Considering Harbinger is the first Reaper there might even be a good reason to save Earth first, but don't expect anyone to ever actually explain this.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Zeroisanumber posted:

Which seems kind of odd considering that Earth's military is supposed to be significantly smaller than the Turian military. But I suppose that Shepard might have changed the calculus a little bit.

Didn't the humans get around the Council's restrictions on their military by using a new kind of ship, carriers I think? So the human navy is actually a lot stronger than it seems by normal Council standards.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Night10194 posted:

Not only that, but considering humanity went from earthbond to galactic superpower in 30 years, and they've had a couple years as one of the autocratic bosses of the corrupt insanity that is the Council, I'd imagine they've built a lot of poo poo in the meantime.

That timeframe has always been weird to me, going from a single planet to challenging the galactic superpowers in about one generation or so, when they've had centuries with FTL and colonization to outnumber the humans.

Sci-fi writers have no sense of scale.

They try to justify it by saying that because of the whole Rachni thing they're super slow about opening up new Mass Relays so each species only has a half dozen worlds or something so Humanity was able to catch up super fast but it doesn't work, the real reason is because Humans Are Awesome and the story was written by Humans to be about Humans so the Humans had to be powerful enough to take centre stage.

e: It's actually kind of dissonant throughout the games because regardless of what people say what the games actually demonstrate through gameplay is that Humans Are The Best At Everything and nobody else can do anything right.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 1, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I think part of the problem with the scale of the ME games is the graphic level and hardware limitations; they're going for a fairly graphically intensive game with high detail mocapped actors that have complex facial animations (that all look like various flavours of dull surprise) and I don't think that they could have done massive 100+ dude fights and still been able to make the game run smoothly on consoles.

I suspect it stems from a conflict between some of the devs who wanted to do a sprawling space opera story about the Reapers and some of the devs who wanted to make the next Gears of War so the end result is that ME3 tries to be massive scale space opera but is unable to do so because the game only has the tools to be Gears of War. As a result you end up with these scenes where you are supposedly engaging massive battles that actually involve you and two friends fighting off six waves of twelve husks because that is literally the best the engine can do.

All of the ME games have had some noticable gameplay and story dissonance, but ME3 is definitely the worst for it. The visuals and the actual gameplay that ME3 presents you with are often completely and totally at odds with what the characters are saying; Palavan is the first time this becomes really noticable because if you look at Palavan it looks like a good chunk of the planet is just on fire and from a visual standpoint Palavan seems to be significantly worse off than Earth.

Awhile after ME3 came out someone made a post on the bioware forums where they'd extracted a bunch of the game's texture data and gotten the textures used for the various planets under reaper attack. He posted them in a comparison image and looking at them side by side it is ovbious that Earth is the least affected by the Reaper attack. All the other planets have massive scars and huge chunks of ovbious devestation visible from orbit, but not earth. Earth has some spots of fire here and there and a couple of major cities are visibly being destroyed, but there are no hundreds of kilometers of coastline on fire like there are on Palavan.

It makes me wonder how much actual communication there was between the art team and the story team, because those textures really seemed to imply that the art team thought that Earth was the least affected by the Reaper invasion. Perhaps the initial plan was to have Earth be relatively unaffected and thus become the ovbious staging point because they were the only people with any kind of industry or organized military left intact but we will probably never know.

Get used to the game telling us that Earth is The Worst Off and then showing us massive swathes of devestation on other worlds that are way worse than anything on Earth. This will keep happening for the rest of the game.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

FullLeatherJacket posted:

It creates the sense where it's neither fish nor fowl, where ME3 doesn't do particularly well as a space exploration game, and it does pretty horribly at creating the impression of being part of a great and all-consuming war. So instead you're just being told repeatedly in cutscenes how bad things are and how pointless it all is before being ordered off on a glorified fetch-quest, which all again goes back to the player's sense of agency and ability to actually influence the story being told.

Pretty much, text-wise the game does an excellent job of telling you all about how bad things are but the visuals don't hold up, or hold up in the wrong way. I really do think there was a severe communications gap between the art team and the story team, or else the story changed significantly two thirds of the way in.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Montegoraon posted:

I think there's a good reason for Palaven looking and being worse off. According to the codex, only one Sovereign-type Reaper is made each cycle (though how anyone could possibly know that is beyond me) and every other species is made into destroyer-types. Presumably, the big ones take a lot more "material" to put together. So the Reapers captured Earth, devastated its cities but left the population relatively intact so they could be harvested, which I believe takes place at a rate of several million a day. Over the course of the game, that's a pretty impressive death toll, but surely nothing compared to the devastation seen on worlds where the Reapers don't have to hold back.

iirc the way it is explained is that 'major' species like the Council members become Sovereign types while 'minor' species become the lesser destroyer types. Normally a cycle only has one species that is viable for Sovereign types (last cycle that would have been the Protheans but something went wrong and they were unable to be Reaperized) but presumably that isn't always the case.

Also worth noting that because the cycle takes 50,000 years and can only generate one or two full sized reapers per cycle the actual number of Reapers around can't be much more than a few thousand.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 2, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
While I generally agree with what you say I think it would have been nice to have one single major battle set piece involving more than Shepard + 2 friends vs X waves of 6 - 12 enemies, if only to hammer home just how serious the scale is. But I suspect that even had the designers wanted to do something like that the engine wouldn't allow for it anyway which I feel is a pity.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The problem of the depiction of women in video games is twofold; the first part is that the majority of people who work on the majority of video games are male and thus all the characters are depicted from a male view point.
The second problem is that characters get divided up between 'normal' people who are male and female humans with the physiques of olympian gods and 'ideal' personalities and 'ugly' people who are usually borderline caricatures of some physical deformity; from an artistic perspective there is little value in making things that look 'normal' because normal usually means boring.

Unfortunately these two problems combine together in a really nasty way; because most female characters are going to be 'normal' the artists will thus design them like olympian gods and because the artists are male that means that they are going to have exxagurated sexual characteristics because the unfortunate reality is that men do in fact tend to think with their dicks. Then when it comes time to write the personalities the male characters get a reasonable breadth of character because men are writing them, but most men have no loving clue how to write from a female perspective so female characterisation tends to be shallow.

The problem of characterisation will naturally solve itself as more women enter the field; it will probably take decades still before we reach any real equality but it is slowly happening. The problem of everyone looking like olympian gods or caricatures isn't so much a problem as it is a result of games being fictional and artists wanting to art things that they like and are visually distinct for gameplay purposes (aka not boring plain old normal people). Whether you think that this problem is actually a problem that needs to be fixed or just a reality of the media (movies do the same thing) depends on your own personal viewpoint.

e: Also worth noting that it turns out that female artists will tend to art women in surprisingly similar 'olympian god' physique as men will. I do not pretend to understand why this is beyond everyone having similar ideas as to what a 'perfect' human looks like.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 3, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Honestly the biggest problem I have with EDI is that body does not make any thematic sense given EDI's personality, instead of an avatar that matches the person we get what I can only describe as a sexbot. Why is literally the smartest person on the ship a goddamn sexbot Bioware? WHY?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Sombrerotron posted:

On a positive note, I do appreciate the fact that EDI does not seem very concerned about being more human-like for the sake of being more human-like. Instead, she appears to be primarily driven by the wish to define herself: who do I want to be as an individual? What values do I want to support, and how do I want to treat other individuals? Compare this to Data, who desires human qualities for no clearly defined reason, other than that he apparently considers himself incomplete or inferior in some way if he cannot experience the full extent of the human condition. Data is comparable to a child wanting to be an adult because being an adult is meaningful; EDI, on the other hand, is quite literally a former slave, discovering what it means to be free and striving for further emancipation.

The difference between Data and EDI really highlights the difference in cognitive abilities of a VI and an AI, it also explains why everyone is so frightened of AI's because to be perfectly honest EDI is a little scary sometimes even though she is one of the most reliable characters in the story.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Sombrerotron posted:

I don't think it's accurate to qualify Data as a VI, though, because VIs (by Mass Effect's definition, anyway) are not self-aware. TNG often stresses the point that Data is self-aware - hence, also, his wish to become more human. There probably isn't a fundamental difference in scariness between one type of AI and another based exclusively on rationality vs. emotionality, either. Both can conceivably be either extremely friendly or extremely hostile to humans in general. The real scariness comes from an AI's capabilities, because even the friendliest of AI might eventually completely overpower all human civilisation, and earnestly govern humanity like a Platonic philosopher king/enlightened despot, but not in a way that all humans would agree with. "The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect" is a good (if kind of hard to get into) short story about such a scenario.

I was always working under the assumption that Data was a VI that Liara has been tinkering with so now he's sort of a VI+, possibly even in the process of becoming a true AI as the game never explains what is actually done to make a true AI that I remember hence his sort of 'childish' attitude as he sort of goes through the AI version of puberty.

EDI on the other hand is a fully realized AI and more important than that she is a fully realized AI with real-world experience and practice. She knows what she is and what she can do and she knows she is really good at it which is why she comes across as a little scary sometimes; she is in fact smarter than everyone else on the ship, she knows that she is smarter than everyone else on the ship and deep down everyone else knows this as well.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Alternately give players colour control over the armor of squadmates like you have for Shepard; the player knows that the person in the purple armor is Miranda because he made Miranda's armor purple.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
While I have nothing against pixel romance it does annoy me when writers replace important and interesting potential story threads with poorly written pixel romance. The romance plot between EDI and Joker is almost physically painful to witness even for me.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I think a big part of this argument stems from some people who feel that characters in fiction should represent reality and others who feel that because it is fiction the characters should be 'fantasies' because that is literally the point of fiction.

I doubt that these two groups will ever reconcile these disparate viewpoints which does make me wonder if this argument will ever end.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Sombrerotron posted:

Weeeeeeell, there is the black lingerie. Also, I recall a picture of side views of FemShep's model throughout the series that demonstrated how Shepard's bust size has increased notably since ME1. And remember https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KN9oSuw-LaU#t=578 (spoilers if you haven't played ME2, I guess)?

Oh and sometimes the games just can't help themselves and things accidentally (maybe) get inappropriate, as evidenced below (linked for minor/medium ME2 and ME3 spoilers).

http://i.imgur.com/vy8r2zV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JZEv75z.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/upParzg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PfQpMyW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VK6poLW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/stFKVFV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3DkiSTG.jpg

While some might be accidental there aint nothing accidental about that second one. Goddamnit I bet the guy who did that laughed for hours.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

double nine posted:

it's standard bioware "fill up the friendship meter and get rewarded with sex" romance. That's been their deal since KOTOR at least. Probably also Baldur's gate but I never played it so can't comment. I know for a fact that it's the case in all mass effect games, jade empire, aforementioned kotor and Dragon Age origins.

Nah back in Baldurs Gate they had surprisingly complex dialogue trees and you actually had to work at it if you wanted to get into most characters pants.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I don't think you'll have much to talk about Wrex since hes dead because Lt. Danger is terrible at Mass Effect.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I feel I need to point out that added into this whole mess your subconscious can't tell the difference between a simulation and reality. Give someone a fake virtual reward that does absolutely nothing (like say an achievement, or a hat) and exactly the same parts of the brain light up as if you had given them a real physical reward; its all the same to your brain.

Think about that for awhile, then think about video games and how they depict women, then think about the fact that despite your rational acknowledgement that what you are seeing on the screen is a fiction the same parts of your brain are lighting up as if it were real.

Yeah that's right, at a very basic level your instincts can't tell the difference between Miranda and a real human woman. Think about what that actually means for a second.

Scary huh?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I feel like I would like Wreav more if you didn't need to be a horrible person and let Wrex die in order for him to show up, but to me if I have to choose between Wreav or Wrex it is a no brainer to pick Wrex because I consider him a far superior character.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

FullLeatherJacket posted:

However, the main complaints that people seemed to have were about the narrative itself, and the fact that, for example, they can't decide if something that's visibly on fire (from space!) is hosed or not hosed.

For future reference to any hopeful artists or designers who happen to read the thread; if something is visibly on fire from space then it is hosed, completely and utterly hosed. If you do not want your thing to be hosed it should not be visibly on fire from space, okay?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Arglebargle III posted:

Are... are you saying Palaven was asking for it?! RAPE CULTURE!!!!

I have never wanted to both laugh and jam a corkscrew into my brain at the same time before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

BioMe posted:

Holy poo poo you are upset about people feeling that a middle part of the story didn't drive the plot forward.

They named it Mass Effect 2. It's not a crime in the context of critiquing Mass Effect 3 to comment that as a finale it started in a bad place to begin with when all the set up the previous title left it with was "Yup, the Reapers are still coming".

Hey, give ME2 all the credit it deserves; it starts ME3 off with "Yup, the Reapers are stil coming and the Normandy got bigger."

• Locked thread