Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

not to put words in Xander's mouth but my guess is he is talking on the pseudo-intellectualism of the phrase and the LP as a whole... maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

"Everyones favorite body pillow Tali" hahaha funny poo poo man

I also don't feel the Genophage arc was a clear cut the Krogans are victims. The Salarians were acting immorally perhaps but i believe that in the context of the setting you could argue they did what was needed and right. What moral and what's right are not always the same. Or at least thats what being a citizen of the United States has led me to believe.

Sneaky Fast fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 4, 2014

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

Thanks buddy. :)

Which game are you talking about? Yeah, sure, you can justify the genophage easily, but I'm not talking about it as an ethical dilemma in a vacuum. What I'm talking about is how it's presented to us across the series, and in ME3 you've really got to work at it to get a 'balanced' scenario, let alone a case where the genophage is clearly the correct option. Very different to ME2.

Indeed i was commenting more on the first and second games. Even though the ME3 presents curing the genophage as the "idealistic and heroic" path having played the first two games and seeing how lovely tuchanka is and heard the stories of their barbarism in colonizing other worlds, i couldn't just forget that suff despite the shift in ME3. Ultimately i agree with your assessment though it is a much clearer arc then the Quarian/Geth.

Another thing i thought interesting, you felt that Mass Effect was underwritten? If i recall correctly you stated ME2 was ME3 closly behind that?

In the case of almost all trilogies the first of the three is by its nature simplistic. It has a job, which is to introduce you to the characters, make you like them and illustrate how the world your new chums are strolling around in operates and what rules and regulations must they abide. Often the good guys will destroy a bad guy/bad thing and save the day only for the evil to return later in the series in a much more menacing way.

Think of A New Hope, it is by far the most simplistic of the 3 good star wars movies. The course of the movie is to have you meet the gang (like them... Han is just so cool!), explain the force, show the evil of the empire and place them squarely in the tumult of the rebellion against said evil dicks. All of this is a setup for the deeper and darker Empire Strikes Back.

The second act of a trilogy is the heavy lifter, because we know everybody and the circumstances of the setting. The artist can begin to extrapolate on the world without fear of losing the person consuming the stories interest in the characters because you already liked and invested in them enough to come back a second time. That why we can have the shocking revelation that Vader is Luke's father and we care because A.N.H established that we liked good ol' Lukey and hated evil Vader.

The main exposition of any trilogy is gonna be done primarily here in the middle. In ME2 we learn so much about Shepard, the alliance and the politics of the reaper invasion during because we already have established facts and a deep connection to the Commander so we are on his side even when he works for an evil organization. We will stay with him as he battles out where he and his talents belong in this conflict. I understand why people like second acts a lot in general. It's the act of a trilogy that has the most tension, there is the most change and often things look the most bleak. I feel ME2 did this part all very well! However, I didn't care for the illusion of choice i felt in the later games.

My mom used to do this thing when I was yougin', it would be time to go outside and she didn't want to just tell me to do it because i would rebel against that. So, she would ask me if i wanted to wear my blue jacket or my green one when we went outside.The real decision had been made. I had no real power. Only the facade of choice to distract me from that fact. I understand the main story arc sorta has to be that way, but all the other quests being stripped down to simply paragon renegade choices really irked me. I missed quests where every choice wasn't Red button or Blue button. I missed quests like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4B34fJNfuI

Sneaky Fast fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 6, 2014

• Locked thread