Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
the American govt is extremely powerful and has unimaginable tools of social control at its fingertips and will only be destroyed in a complete economic and/or environmental collapse, and even then will use increasingly openly facist means to retain its power until the bitter end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
going to be hilarious and I can't wait for the earth to be burned and will try to survive for as long as possible. I think a lot of millennial scan sense conciously or unconsciously what is 'coming' which is the cause of widespread apathy and mental illness because there is a sense that nothing matters and any savings will just be wiped out anyway by the impending calamities lol

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im more prepared to believe the american government is actually just really loving huge and has a ton of inertia and is run by people who are terrified of any change whatsoever than i am prepared to believe that a bunch of sullen office dipshits and liberty university graduates are capable of employing machiavellian social controls

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

papa_november posted:

the end of cointelpro involved such reforms as "not using the name" and "not leaving paper trails". it never, ever went away
I think this is a exaggeration inasmuch as "cointelpro" refers to something that was very tightly integrated with the personality of Hoover, his prejudices, his tactics of repression

E: that's not to say that I haven't seen the memo in which he literally says "don't call it cointelpro anymore" but he died after that

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 21, 2014

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

Occupy Wall Street squatted public parks for weeks on end without permits and people still act like the police response needs some extraordinary explanation

Yeah, what the gently caress is up with people protesting things without getting a permit to do so?
loving hippie bullshit for sure.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You dumb fucker

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

paranoid randroid posted:

im more prepared to believe the american government is actually just really loving huge and has a ton of inertia and is run by people who are terrified of any change whatsoever than i am prepared to believe that a bunch of sullen office dipshits and liberty university graduates are capable of employing machiavellian social controls

ya honestly everybody but the absolute poorest americans still realizes on some level that they are better off and safer than most citizens of the world, and due to our poor social safety nets and poo poo the absolute poorest americans are some combination of at least two of homeless, retarded, crazy, and severely addicted to dangerous drugs so lol

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

cis white male posted:

going to be hilarious and I can't wait for the earth to be burned and will try to survive for as long as possible. I think a lot of millennial scan sense conciously or unconsciously what is 'coming' which is the cause of widespread apathy and mental illness because there is a sense that nothing matters and any savings will just be wiped out anyway by the impending calamities lol

right. your laziness and apathy are a generational spidey sense.

i suppose its like rabbits and goats who just lock up and go blank when a predator is closing its jaws around their throats.

how did we ever breed such utter shits

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

cis white male posted:

It's not going to happen though. It'll be funny to see milennials with no life savings at 40 because they thought the world was going to end though.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Lots of people get laid with people they met at protests. So, there's that.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Lets Pickle posted:

Lots of people get laid with people they met at protests. So, there's that.

except at slut walks. loving false advertizing right there

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

cis white male posted:

you're projecting your own hosed up psyche onto everyone else, actually

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

I know the comparisons are trite and over used, but yeah 'America' (or just western democracy general) is going to keep on rolling like 'Romanism' in the Eastern empire. We could have a nuclear war and our societal structure will still permeate the landscape for several hundred years.

Owns.

Chris Awful
Oct 2, 2005

Tell your friends they don't have to be scared or hungry anymore comrades.

Filippo Corridoni posted:

Yeah, a bunch of limp-wristed human being anarchists breaking working-class people's cars and causing the world's gayest ruckus will REALLY make america less of a hard place to live for so many - not for the goddam anarchists of course, they're all too busy living off their parent's trustfunds, gentrifying neighborhoods, and trying their hardest to be a bunch of obnoxious effeminate idiots.

If the people broke poo poo everytime police brutalized a black man, there would be an economical cost associated pissing the populace off. There should have been a bloodbath on wall street after the housing crisis.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Big Beef City posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress is up with people protesting things without getting a permit to do so?
loving hippie bullshit for sure.
Lol read your local ordinances idiot

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Protest in this day in age doesn't get much traction in America because despite all the bitching from both sides, we all enjoy a ludicrously high standard of living compared to most of the rest of the world and all of human history. It's a great problem to have.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Don't worry OP they don't accomplish anything over here, either.

Filippo Corridoni
Jun 12, 2014

I'm the fuckin' man
You don't get it, do ya?

Chris Awful posted:

If the people broke poo poo everytime police brutalized a black man, there would be an economical cost associated pissing the populace off. There should have been a bloodbath on wall street after the housing crisis.

"the people" being skinny well-off anarchists all those black men getting beaten up by cops could bench press without breaking a sweat, of course.

"The people" sure do love gentrifying those black men's neighborhoods.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

The longer Occupy went on it separated into two camps you had the general filth camp and the gated camp. The gated camp was filled with angry white people looking to get stuff done and overthrow the establishment. Filth camp was all minorities and homeless and the people who were decribed as leeches and freeloaded by the people in the gated camp.

They have people read George orwell in elementary School so why do they never bother to teach self awareness? This was some definite Animal Farm level poo poo going on.

One night my cousin and I decided to talk with the OWS protesters out of curiousity. One guy was wearing a scream ghostface mask to which I asked him what's up with the mask. He said it was to conceal his identity since he felt he was at risk losing his job if he is seen at the protest. Moments later my cousin's conservative views provoked ghostface to go into a screaming rants about unequality and stuffs, then ghostface took off his mask as he continued his rants fighting the unjust and this and that, yada, yada,yada.

Also the OWS became less of a place to fight the good fight and more of a place to hook up, rape women in smelly semen encrusted tents and actually accomplishing absolutely nothing. By the end of the OWS movement it became a circus show. And now? The state of the OWS movement consistes of approximately five to ten people sleeping in front of a church directly across Wall Street.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

Lol read your local ordinances idiot

Hmm I can't have more than 3 chickens. Well I guess that taking to the streets in protest of universal interests is right out

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Think protests are useless 5 years ago? The protests of the now are waged on Facebook. Every time that picture of Obama lookin crazy and possessed gets circulated on some old or young fucks Facebook they are participating in a very lame protest. Everytime one of your burnout buddies posts that list of things you should know before talking to cops you've both participated in a really lazy protest.

We don't go outside anymore, we click like on the tea party Facebook group that tells us about the dangerous knockout game or we make an angry post in the comments of the vice article about the gun lobby in America.

We have all found an even shittier, less useful way to bring change to society than the lovely do nothing protests of 3-5 years ago.

Chris Awful
Oct 2, 2005

"the people" being skinny well-off anarchists all those black men getting beaten up by cops could bench press without breaking a sweat, of course.

"The people" sure do love gentrifying those black men's neighborhoods.

We are talking about protests in-general and I am advocating rioting as a form of protest and civil disobedience, because peaceful protests accomplish nothing.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Los_Angeles_riots

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Think protests are useless 5 years ago? The protests of the now are waged on Facebook. Every time that picture of Obama lookin crazy and possessed gets circulated on some old or young fucks Facebook they are participating in a very lame protest. Everytime one of your burnout buddies posts that list of things you should know before talking to cops you've both participated in a really lazy protest.

We don't go outside anymore, we click like on the tea party Facebook group that tells us about the dangerous knockout game or we make an angry post in the comments of the vice article about the gun lobby in America.

We have all found an even shittier, less useful way to bring change to society than the lovely do nothing protests of 3-5 years ago.

You sound mad.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

9/11 worked out pretty well

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Hingehead posted:

poo poo about lame asses at occupy

The Phoenix occupy "camp" was home to two things, raving, ranting rear end in a top hat anarchists who had no concept of an indoor voice. And fat SJW bitches passive aggressively killing time until the next dashcon constantly informing the camp about how someone just tried to hand them a pamphlet on hunger or whatever and how that triggered them and that camp was supposed to be a safe space.

Chris Awful
Oct 2, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

9/11 worked out pretty well

Global protest against United States proxy-imperialism and westernism.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Cyberball 2072 posted:

The Phoenix occupy "camp" was home to two things, raving, ranting rear end in a top hat anarchists who had no concept of an indoor voice. And fat SJW bitches passive aggressively killing time until the next dashcon constantly informing the camp about how someone just tried to hand them a pamphlet on hunger or whatever and how that triggered them and that camp was supposed to be a safe space.

And yet you were there to see these things.
Weird.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Big Beef City posted:

You sound mad.

More disappointed. A rise in online activism means less footage of hippies or crazy old farts getting maced or tazered in the name of freedom.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Chris Awful posted:

Peaceful protest accomplish nothing.

Violent protests wouldn't either, because the media would feign outrage and label them as terrorists, and the viewing audience would be satisfied to learn that the police are out there cracking heads and shooting dudes to Keep America Safe, and things would continue on as usual after the news cycle brushed the whole thing under the rug so everyone could forget it existed.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Big Beef City posted:

And yet you were there to see these things.
Weird.

For just once and only once there was something to do in downtown Phoenix.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"Guys let me tell you about how awful Occupy camps were in such detail that it's apparent that I was there and actively participating in them and then ask you to judge them."

Alternatively,

"Guys let me tell you about how awful Occupy camps were because I read about them online and those guys are fags."

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Awful posted:

Global protest against United States proxy-imperialism and westernism.

And it accomplished a great deal more than poo poo like Occupy, such as giving the American government a pretense to be even worse, and turning a bunch of people who scarcely knew Muslims existed into Islamophobes.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

InFlames235 posted:

Do protests ever accomplish anything?

farmers market less crowded

cis white male posted:

groundbreaking stuff mate. the end is nigh you say?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

NotWearingPants posted:

The Tea Party protests worked. A handful of white morons standing on the corners with misspelled signs changed the national political dialog and forced one of the two major political parties to swing hard to the right.

The Tea Party was right wing astroturfing to allow the GOP to pretend that it was someone else outraged about a black democrat in the white house and not them.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The occupy poo poo sucked because it was completely leaderless and directionless. It also completely rejected any help from the established authority. It's like, MLK was the de facto leader of the Black civil rights movement and he wouldn't have been successful if he told LBJ or the other white people willing to help to go suck a dick.

Malcolm X did ok with that mindset until his former allies murdered him.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yes protests accomplish something, more overtime money for the police.

Chris Awful
Oct 2, 2005

Zombies' Downfall posted:

And it accomplished a great deal more than poo poo like Occupy, such as giving the American government a pretense to be even worse, and turning a bunch of people who scarcely knew Muslims existed into Islamophobes.

Mission Accomplished.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
No one ever protests any more. They just post stuff on facebook and sign online petitions. I call it slacktavisim because I'm so clever. Everyone needs to stop being a lazy rear end in a top hat and actually go out and do something.

Oh a peaceful protest. Yeah nice try hippie. You think anyone is going to listen to you with your stupid signs and chants. Take your long hair and your drum circles and go home. Also you smell.

A violent protest! Yeah thanks rear end in a top hat. Way to prove your point by breaking poo poo. You're just making everyone else look bad and now everyone is angry at you. Have fun getting beaten by police even worse than the hippies.

Filippo Corridoni
Jun 12, 2014

I'm the fuckin' man
You don't get it, do ya?

Chris Awful posted:

We are talking about protests in-general and I am advocating rioting as a form of protest and civil disobedience, because peaceful protests accomplish nothing.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Los_Angeles_riots

Riots are an anachronistic and pre-modern form of class struggle, ordinary people have only turned to rioting when they are totally unorganized. Riots are what desperate people do.

Back in the day, ordinary people had powerful labor unions. If these people had political greivances, they simply went on strike.

The organized working-class has forced policy change, toppled governments, forced anti-democratic states to become democratic, and have been at the forefront of every actual social change in history. Riots have never, and cannot, do any of those things.

Anyone here interested in how social change has actually happened, pick up a book on labor history. It's helluva lot more entertaining then the bullshit you're reading right now.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Riots are an anachronistic and pre-modern form of class struggle, ordinary people have only turned to rioting when they are totally unorganized. Riots are what desperate people do.

Back in the day, ordinary people had powerful labor unions. If these people had political greivances, they simply went on strike.

The organized working-class has forced policy change, toppled governments, forced anti-democratic states to become democratic, and have been at the forefront of every actual social change in history. Riots have never, and cannot, do any of those things.

Anyone here interested in how social change has actually happened, pick up a book on labor history. It's helluva lot more entertaining then the bullshit you're reading right now.

Everything the organized labour movement accomplished I'd crumbling to dust and people don't even see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Do you think you could get a successful peaceful protest going if you brought a bunch of adorable white children to the protest & the police started beating the poo poo out of the kids & then you posted that to YouTube? Do you think people would sympathize with the peaceful protestors and care more about their cause or blame them for bringing kids in the first place when obviously cops can't help themselves?

If OWS had just started grabbing stock brokers off the street & decapitating them in the center of the park do you think people would have demanded they be stopped or been like "loving finally!" and joined in the festivities?

cis white male posted:

Surely you are the first generation to believe it is the last generation!

• Locked thread