Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Awful
Oct 2, 2005

Tell your friends they don't have to be scared or hungry anymore comrades.
Peaceful protest accomplish nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Big Beef City posted:

You know that whole Arab Spring thing really died out quick I wonder what happened to that lol prolly nothin'.
--A Goons
The Arab Spring wasn't peaceful.
And it also failed.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Negative Entropy posted:

And it also failed.

algeria lowered its food prices :shobon:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Arri posted:

depends on the type of protest

The Tea Party protests worked. A handful of white morons standing on the corners with misspelled signs changed the national political dialog and forced one of the two major political parties to swing hard to the right.

Filippo Corridoni
Jun 12, 2014

I'm the fuckin' man
You don't get it, do ya?
Nope. that bullshit is for sanctimonious middle-class liberals, a protest is a big COMPLETELY inoffensive way to tell people you are "standing" for x cause. It is the real life equivalent of talking real loud about your loving political opinions to impress people.

Anyone who goes to protests are either bragging about it at parties (right after stories about loving vacations) or they're bragging about it in their loving squat/college dorm.

I've got no love for protestors.

Filippo Corridoni
Jun 12, 2014

I'm the fuckin' man
You don't get it, do ya?

Chris Awful posted:

Peaceful protest accomplish nothing.

Yeah, a bunch of limp-wristed human being anarchists breaking working-class people's cars and causing the world's gayest ruckus will REALLY make america less of a hard place to live for so many - not for the goddam anarchists of course, they're all too busy living off their parent's trustfunds, gentrifying neighborhoods, and trying their hardest to be a bunch of obnoxious effeminate idiots.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
basically positive change is impossible at this point and when the revolution comes it will probably be some theocratic buttholes who got sick of representative democracy kayfabe. whatever, gently caress it, smoke em if you got em america.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Negative Entropy posted:

And it also failed.

tunisia is doing great op

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

NotWearingPants posted:

The Tea Party protests worked. A handful of white morons standing on the corners with misspelled signs changed the national political dialog and forced one of the two major political parties to swing hard to the right.
But the thing is, the GOP was looking for something like the Tea Party to act as an impetus to espouse the views they already had louder and aggressively. The Tea Party was a means for the GOP establishment to rebrand itself and that's about it. The poo poo the GOP is espousing in 2014 is not really that different from what it was espousing in 1994.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

tunisia is doing great op

14 soldiers just got killed in militant attacks in Tunisia

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Filippo Corridoni posted:

Nope. that bullshit is for sanctimonious middle-class liberals, a protest is a big COMPLETELY inoffensive way to tell people you are "standing" for x cause. It is the real life equivalent of talking real loud about your loving political opinions to impress people.

Anyone who goes to protests are either bragging about it at parties (right after stories about loving vacations) or they're bragging about it in their loving squat/college dorm.

I've got no love for protestors.

Says a guy who's mad his pet perspective never got protested for or against.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

basically positive change is impossible at this point and when the revolution comes it will probably be some theocratic buttholes who got sick of representative democracy kayfabe. whatever, gently caress it, smoke em if you got em america.
I don't think you need to be this fatalistic. The whole point of revolution is to do that which has not been done before. Occupy tried to use methods that had been used before and that had failed. Madness is doing the same thing over and over again when it doesn't work hoping that this time it will.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Madcosby posted:

True.

When US college kids protest something in the year 2014, they're hoping the police will "beat" or get violent with someone so they can film it and call the world an unfair place. They dream of being the next Kent State photo, or specifically, being the kid in the background of such a photo, or maybe the one who owns the right to the photo.

this without a shred of irony

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Filippo Corridoni posted:

Yeah, a bunch of limp-wristed human being anarchists breaking working-class people's cars and causing the world's gayest ruckus will REALLY make america less of a hard place to live for so many - not for the goddam anarchists of course, they're all too busy living off their parent's trustfunds, gentrifying neighborhoods, and trying their hardest to be a bunch of obnoxious effeminate idiots.

my thoughts exactly.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

quote:

It is the real life equivalent of talking real loud about your loving political opinions to impress people.

Like I just want to single this out, print it off, and mount it some where so people can look at it and be like "Yes, that IS the point actually, lol".

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Alberto Basalm posted:

14 soldiers just got killed in militant attacks in Tunisia

in my history and poli sci classes tunisia is the good revolution

more ppl died in shay's rebellion

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS EVER DONE FOR US?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Remember the bankers standing on the balcony drinking champagne and smoking cigars over looking occupy lmao

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS EVER DONE FOR US?

funnily enough, the romans actually took down the aquilias (aquilii?) from the temple of solomon due to jewish protests

collective action... works?? *record scratch*

e. of course then the next governor had em put right back up again and triggered bloody riots but eh details

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

paranoid randroid posted:

funnily enough, the romans actually took down the aquilias (aquilii?) from the temple of solomon due to jewish protests

collective action... works?? *record scratch*

yes but beside that, WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS EVER DONE FOR US?

edit: sweet

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 20, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i get the reference, bub.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

peaceful protests work when the establishment sees acquiescing to them as the preferred alternative to mass riots

therefore a credible threat of sustained violence is the sine qua non of peaceful revolution IMGO (in my gay opinion)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

gleep gloop posted:

Remember the bankers standing on the balcony drinking champagne and smoking cigars over looking occupy lmao
No, please post the ppic

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

they succeed in shutting down traffic and making me late

loving dicks. if i cared about whales or poor people or whatever the gently caress i'd already be doing something about them

American Terrorist
Jun 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Nope. I always get depressed when I see black people protesting.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
During the bush admin you had protesters willing to subject themselves to public water boarding by ex special forces even under the windows of the congressional offices, that was p hardcore

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

During the bush admin you had protesters willing to subject themselves to public water boarding by ex special forces even under the windows of the congressional offices, that was p hardcore

im impressed by how little a gently caress the administration gave about protests. like even nixon had a long dark night of the soul where he went out to talk to protestors in the capital.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Just ask Brendan Eich.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Gazpacho posted:

No, please post the ppic

I can do you one better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PiXDTK_CBY

WARNING this video is actually pretty boring.

Filippo Corridoni
Jun 12, 2014

I'm the fuckin' man
You don't get it, do ya?

The Taint Reaper posted:

The longer Occupy went on it separated into two camps you had the general filth camp and the gated camp. The gated camp was filled with angry white people looking to get stuff done and overthrow the establishment. Filth camp was all minorities and homeless and the people who were decribed as leeches and freeloaded by the people in the gated camp.

This is loving beautiful. This post deserves to be in a goddam mueseum, right next to the statistic that over 90% of the occupiers were middle-class whiners from well-off families.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Give you a good day out.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Negative Entropy posted:

I don't think you need to be this fatalistic. The whole point of revolution is to do that which has not been done before. Occupy tried to use methods that had been used before and that had failed. Madness is doing the same thing over and over again when it doesn't work hoping that this time it will.
they assumed cointelpro and provocateur tactics and all the poo poo the bad guys had used to stomp the hippies into self-obsession and identity politics had somehow utterly disappeared because they didn't see them being used on tv every day while growing up

things have to become so much loving worse than they are now for anything resembling change. a lot of horrible situations on this planet are perfectly sustainable because the people on top have the amount of misery they can safely inflict down to a science

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
lol i dont think the fbi had to bring cointelpro back to deal with ows. cointelpro did poo poo like pay off people to drug radical figureheads so they could be machinegunned with minimal trouble.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

occupy was nowhere near competent enough to get to that point. besides, some local pds were just gonna snipe them and skip the drugs part entirely

the end of cointelpro involved such reforms as "not using the name" and "not leaving paper trails". it never, ever went away

our government emerged from the scandals and soul-searching of the 1970s as a much more repressive regime

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Any positive impression of occupy I might have had evaporated the first time I saw the "human megaphone"

Then when chompers said he'd "never seen anything like it" that just made things worse

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The occupy poo poo sucked because it was completely leaderless and directionless. It also completely rejected any help from the established authority. It's like, MLK was the de facto leader of the Black civil rights movement and he wouldn't have been successful if he told LBJ or the other white people willing to help to go suck a dick. Occupy was just a feel good circle-jerk that was more of a contest to see who could be the most insufferable leftist than it was a cohesive political movement.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Occupy Wall Street squatted public parks for weeks on end without permits and people still act like the police response needs some extraordinary explanation

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

it does when you have police dragging protesters into their own tents so they could be safely beaten off-camera

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

papa_november posted:

it does when you have police dragging protesters into their own tents so they could be safely beaten off-camera

i sure as poo poo hope so. im not paying those lazy poo poo pigs to keep those clubs in their holsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

papa_november posted:

insufferable leftists who say silly things really get my goat a lot, a ton in fact

• Locked thread