Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
That didn't mean you don't have to post at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Willy Hollins

"That dust cloud is the elves I bet. Let's go talk to them about Alarel and bargain for his stupid worthless life."

Wilderness.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Immeral Liadon

Immeral looks to Willy. "Do you think they have seen him? And won't attack us once our connection with him is revealed?"

He looks around at the blasted landscape. "I kind of would like to get to some civilization and get some supplies before we wonder off. But if the dust cloud is from elves that would actually help us after all this then so be it."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
You catch up with that dust cloud in short order, because it is elves. Like a herd of antelope on the plains they seem to be running across the desert sands.

There is no fleeing them. Quickly you are surrounded. Several spear-wielding warriors circle around you, though you see youths and even a pregnant woman in the back of the pack. It seems that everyone in this group is capable of running at that pace, even in this oppressive heat. Each elf is incredibly lithe and fit.

One steps out of the pack to address your group. He has an ornate tattoo of a sun on his bare chest.

It's the same symbol that you saw on the ruined temple of Baelas.

"What have we here? Templars, perhaps, strayed too far from their masters?"

Status
------------
Willy (14/14HP) (1 waterskin)
Immeral (14/14HP) (1 waterskin)
Krag (15/15HP) (1 waterskin)
Borsir (15/15HP) (1 waterskin)

Alright, I'm back. Let's do this.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 19, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Willy Hollins

"I'm just a lost kid looking for a lost--and stupid--old man. Only he can lead me out of the desert."

She holds up a sketch of him that she made with her ink and paper in her scholar's kit.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Immeral Liadon

Immeral looks confused, he opens his mouth to ask what a Templar is, but stops and closes his mouth. Who knows how they will react to that question.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

"HELLO, I AM KRAG HACK! KRAG AND KRAGS FRIENDS ARE LOOKING FOR OLD MAN ARIEL! HAVE YOU SEEN HIM?"

Krag stops for a moment to suck in air.

"ALSO WHATS A TEMPLAR."

Krag tries to emphasize that this isn't so much a question as Krag shouting his internal thoughts.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"It appears you have been too long in the sun. And you, elf, what is wrong with you? Why so sickly and pale?"

Walking as if among the plagued, the elf takes a look at the sketch of your master.

"Indeed. We caught him defiling the ruins of our ancestors. That old kook slew several of my tribe before we subdued him. He's already gone, though. We got a fair price for him from a passing slaver. What price shall you fetch, I wonder?"

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

"KRAG PRETTY SURE KRAG IS WORTH 300-500 GOLD. KRAG NOT BEEN IN SUN TOO LONG THOUGH. KRAG AND KRAGS FRIEND WENT THROUGH STARGATE TO GET HERE. KRAG THEORIZES STARGATE STABILIZED A RIFT IN OUR REALITIES AND KRAG SHIFTED TO ANOTHER PLANE. KRAG THINK THIS PLANE HOTTER THAN FAERUN.

KRAG WONDER WHAT SYMBOL ON YOUR CHEST IS."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"Are you...are you serious?"

The elf peers at Krag. He gives a low whistle and shakes his head slowly.

"What gate? What are you blabbering on about?"

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Willy Hollins

"We'll go quietly if you can promise to sell us to the same slaver. We're family: we don't want to be split up. Surely you can understand that."

She offers her wrists.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Borsir Frostbrew
HP: 15/15 (6 HP Mana Shield), Prepared Spells: Mage Armor*, Protection from Evil*, Silent Image, Sleep Slots: [x]1 [ ]1 [ ]1

Still shocked by Alister's sudden death, Borsir mumbles to himself while he follows suit, offering his wrists. "Yes, we'll follow with you and even let you keep the profits. We simply seek our friend, the one you sold. I am terribly sorry about the loss to your tribe, but this is a matter of some urgency."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"Indeed? A matter of some urg-"

The elf seems to notice something Krag has.

"...is that?"

He looks closer. He leans in. Waaaay in.

"Sweet merciful dragon! Is that ALL iron?! Are your master's halls so bloated that you would waste such wealth on cooking pots?"

The elf is excitedly looking at the shovel and iron pot sticking out of Krag's overflowing pack.

"It must be our lucky day, then. Your corpses can feed the 'trekels. I'll be taking every bit of scrap off your corpses."

He draws a sword made of some animal shoulder blade, carved into a thin and sharp blade. Before combat erupts, a grey-haired elder moves swiftly to the man's side.

"Not wise, my chief. We have lost too many today to these defilers. But perhaps they will pay."

The blade is returned to its place, and the elf scowls and looks back towards Krag. "Payment it is, then. Keep your freedom, we will take you to the slavers, but we want that iron pot in return. Deal?"

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

Krag's eyes light up at the rising threat of combat but his mood sours at the easing of tension.

"Krag like this places elvsies better. Krag's elves are lame and want to talk about nature and peace. Even evil Faerun elvsies are dumb because they always hiding in holes. Krag like you barbarian elf. You remind Krag of a pointy ear'd Krag. Krag sad he couldn't give you his spare suit of full plate but wizzy Ariel told Krag wizzies aren't supposed to wear armour so Krag left them with Hug Hug because Krag really wanted to learn how to be a wizzy. Krag will give you his pot though. Krag knows a whole shop full of pots. Krag used to break mamma Hack's pots when he was little and had to go buy them. If Krag can open stargate again Krag will go take you there. Krag lost it though, Krag think the desert is very confusing. Krag think someone should put some landmarks in."

Krag puts his hand out to shake the elf's hand.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
A handshake seals the deal.

"Try to keep up."

The elves turn and start jogging north, back in the direction they came. They expect you to follow, and to maintain their pace. In the heat of the sun that is no easy task.

:rolldice: Everyone give me a DC10 CON save to keep up. If you fail, you win a level of exhaustion.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

http://orokos.com/roll/215271 = 4

Krag is ignorant of the concept of exhaustion.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Willy Hollins

The big hat makes all the difference.

con: 1d20+2 14

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Status
------------
:rolldice: Immeral (14/14HP) (1 waterskin)
:rolldice: Borsir (15/15HP) (1 waterskin)
Krag (15/15HP) (exhausted, 1 waterskin)

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Borsir Frostbrew
HP: 15/15 (6 HP Mana Shield), Prepared Spells: Mage Armor*, Protection from Evil*, Silent Image, Sleep Slots: [x]1 [ ]1 [ ]1

Even with the blaring light, the dwarf's rugged nature proved reliable. What was the heat of the desert compared to the heat of a forge?

1d20+2=11

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Immeral Liadon

Immeral is a little confused by these elves, really shocked at Willy suggesting they give themselves up as slaves to be sold wherever Alarel was, but perhaps the most shocking of things was that KRAG HACK of all people was the one who dealt with the situation in a peaceful manner.

And then they have to run to keep up.

That is a terrible thing, especially in this heat. But Immeral manages to do well enough.

Con Save 1d20+2 11

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Breathing heavily and sweating away all your water, you can barely keep pace with the elves. As for them, it seems like they do this all day. They haven't even broke a sweat.

The sounds of battle in the distance cause the lead elf to halt the run. Moving forward to investigate, your group takes cover among some large boulders to the side of the road. Peering past the boulder, you see a large wagon pulled by two gigantic lizards.

The wagon is under attack! They are in the middle of fending off a trio of giants. Two of the big lugs stand at the side of the wagon, pulling off pieces of the outer armor and fending off spear attacks with swats of their hands. The third stands behind them with a boulder in its hand, looking for a good place to toss it.

Your elven 'business partner' says, "Aye, that is it. Your master is aboard. He is yours, but we will wait for a victor to this little battle and take what is left."

What do you do?

Status
------------
Immeral (14/14HP) (1 waterskin)

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

"Hmmm normally Krag would say to charge giants but Krag is very thirsty and Krag not sure what giants from Hot World are like. Krag think they look like normal giants but Krag not sure. What are giants like in Hot World elf man?"

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"They are walking death! What do you expect? Back away everyone, we don't want to be hit by a stray boulder. We'll check back in a few hours."

The elf orders his tribe to back off. You all are left without supervision for the moment as the elves depart.

Suddenly a fireball erupts from the wagon, scorching the face of one of the giants. It stumbles then goes down hard. Is that your wizard, or just a wizard?

Bellowing in rage at its fallen comrade, that giant with the boulder tosses it as hard as it can - not at the wagon, but at the harness holding those two big lizards. The rock shatters into minute fragments and the harness is blown to bits. The lizards, sensing their freedom, bolt forward with all the speed they can muster. That turns out to be rather slow. But it leaves the wagon stranded.

The other surviving giant, standing next to the wagon, pulls mightily and half the wagonside tears right off. Behind it you can see three floors of the wagon. On the bottom are many slaves lashed together, helping to push a giant wheel. Backup propulsion, it seems. Above that are two levels of armed mercenaries, who are now panicking at their vulnerability to the giants. It starts to reach in and grab people, tossing them aside like dolls.

Starting on the upper level is Alarel. You can spot that beard a mile away. He has several guards nearby, but he seems to be free from restraints.

The elves chickened out. What do you do?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ritorix posted:

The elves chickened out. What do you do?

KRAG HACK

Krag charges the giants.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Willy Hollins

Dammit dammit dammit apprentices were like moths to flame. At least the elves weren't around to see her defile the land, which Willy feels she needs to do if she wants to keep Krag and Alarel alive. Her desperation and distate means that the act feeds on her own life force more than the lands' in the end.

Magical Missiles; defilement check;: 4d4+4 15 1d20+2 3

e; forgot my halfling reroll on natural 1s.

defilement check halfling reroll: 1d20+2 15

14/14hp

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 25, 2014

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

Krag notices what Willy is doing and decides to follow suit.

Defilement Check:
http://orokos.com/roll/216439 = 18

Magic Missile:
http://orokos.com/roll/216441 = 12

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Immeral Liadon

Immeral follows suit in blasting the giants, while drawing all the power he can. Unfortunately his attempt to drain the energy went a little off. Still he flings some silvery darts of magic at the giants.

Con Save Defiling 1d20+2 4

Welp. That is 2 damage right?

Magic Missile 3d4+3 13

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The giant yelps at the sudden onslaught of magic missiles. Though they could not bring down a healthy giant themselves, when added to the damage the brute has already suffered it was enough. The rock-thrower falls to the desert floor, dead.

One giant remains, and it pulls as hard as it can. The massive wagon tips to an angle and everyone inside spills out. There is a jumble of corpses and survivors, and Alarel is in there somewhere.

The giant laughs, lifts one foot, and smashes down. Someone goes 'squish'.

Another round! Time to save your master! If you defile again you have disadvantage on the roll, due to the lands being drained already.

Status
------------
Immeral (12/14HP) (1 waterskin)

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Borsir Frostbrew
HP: 15/15 (4 HP Mana Shield), Prepared Spells: Mage Armor*, Protection from Evil*, Silent Image, Sleep Slots: [x]1 [x]1 [ ]1

At the rest of his fellow mages bring forth powerful evocations, he considers for a moment and then chants the words of sleep, pointing his rod at the space on the ground next to the giant, sure to only catch him and not the people in the cart. Defiling the desert for it was likely worth the cost, even with such defilement already around him from his other apprentices. He also heads toward the giant and the crash, shouting, "Alarel! Are you okay?!"

Sleep HP: 5d8 18 Here's hoping.
Sleep Con Check: 1d20+2 5 I forgot to Disadvantage, but I failed anyway.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 27, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Immeral Liadon

Immeral follows up his magic missiles with a simple cantrip, trying to conserve his energy for later, besides the ground around him is starting to look pretty bad.

He chants and moves his fingers before pointing at the remaining giant, assuming it isn't already asleep and unleashes a bolt of fire.

Fire Bolt vs AC of giant, if awake 1d20+6 19 for 1d10 9 fire damage.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The giant falls asleep, already wounded from the fight and easily swayed by Borsir's magic. It crashes to the ground.

Everyone in the wagon is in chaos. Some are shouting orders in a language you don't understand. Others point here and there, trying to contain the situation. One man takes this opportunity to escape.

From the third deck, a bearded man simply leaps out of the wagon. Right before he splatters on the ground a word of magic leaves his lips, and he floats as gently as a feather.

Then he runs like hell.

"Great timing, apprentices!" (huff, puff) "Fancy meeting you here!" (he wheezes heavily) " Uh, you have the portal ready to go, right?"

Your old master is finally rescued, for what it's worth. He is a wreck. His whole face is badly sunburned. His robes are covered with blood. He has a look in his eyes that is crazier than normal. And that's pretty drat crazy.

Just then the elves attack. They rampage towards the wagon, engaging in a fierce battle against whoever is left alive. Now is a great time to be leaving.

Status
------------
Immeral (12/14HP) (1 waterskin)

ritorix fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 3, 2014

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

"Umm... Mr. Ariel sir. Krag not think portal is stable enough for Krag to get through. Let alone lots of wizzies. Krag think the phase inverter has given out. Krag pretty sure Krag trapped here. Krag prefer this world if Krag honest. Krag think the elves are more fighty and less wussy. Plus Krag get supercharged magic sometimes. Krag doesn't like the heat though."

Krag readies himself to see what his master is going to do about the incoming elves.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Willy Hollins

"We can leave you here then, I want to go home. Master, how do we fix the portal? and what happened to you?"

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"Oh you know, just a typical misunderstanding. It seems that magic works rather...differently here. I had a little run-in with the local elves. I can probably open the portal again. But we will need..."

He smiles insanely.

"Lots of materials!"

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Willy Hollins

"I bet you didn't even figure out how not to drain your surroundings when you cast, did you," the halfling thinks to herself, biting her tongue for now. They'd need each other to escape this wasteland, wherever it was. Instead she says, "What kind of materials, I have a feeling it's not all stuff we happened to bring..."

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

"Krag hopes you don't need a pot. Krag fresh out."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"Nope! Tell me, did you all pass an oasis on the way here? Any farms? Any source of...PLANTS?"

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

"Well...Krag not sure but Krag don't think sand is a plant. So no. Not really.

But, Krag thinking what your thinking."

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 4, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Willy Hollins

"Yeah we found an oasis, then it ate Alister and burrowed away...

"I have plants and seeds in my herbalism kit, please say those will do, I don't want to get eaten or enslaved or shrivel up in the sun and die!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"Nonsense, the sun won't shrivel you. But we might get eaten. Or enslaved. What I'm going to need is plants and lots of them, to drain enough power to reopen that portal. Let's head back to your burrowing oasis. As long as we avoid the chompy part we should be ok. If not, we have magic!"

• Locked thread