Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

"Krag confused Mr Mayor. Sun not god. Sun is sun or maybe wizard. Krag also pretty sure Krag had a goblin on his shoulder. Is everyone in town a wizzy like Krag? Krag going to go ask adventurers about this."

Krag will head off to bumble into the adventurer camp alone or with the others if anyone else looks like they would go with him if he waits a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Immeral Liadon

Immeral looks around, the fountain is interesting, and he spends some time investigating it with a critical eye, a magical eye. But other things about the town are interesting, signs of the ancient elven empire. It might be worth coming back here for a better look later on.

He looks up at the mention of the Order of Baelas. Well yes once the worship of Baelas was common place, but it went out of style, and there is little reason to return to such worship. And really at this point there are more humans in the Order than elves, and that kind of ruins the whole thing.

As such Immeral sees no reason to worship Baelas or join the Order.

Arcana on fountain 1d20+6 21

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The mayor chuckles and tells Krag, "No, apprentice, there are no wizards among us. Only Alarel and yourselves. And please be careful with those mercenaries. They are armed and value gold more than anything. If you could convince them to leave we would be grateful."

Immeral has heard the legends and stories of the old days of his people, of the wondrous magic they commanded every day. Their very cities were said to be enchanted, warded from natural disasters and more mundane threats like rodents and spoiled food.

Those magics were long gone, of course, and no living example of the art remained. If it existed at all. Is that what they were looking at here, this orb that radiated such strong magic? Surely the villagers couldn't create such a work, nor even Alarel himself.

As Immeral observes closer and notes the results of the Detect Magic, it seems that this orb in the center of town has been tampered with. It primarily resonates with the school of illusion, not transmutation or abjuration that the old elven city-orbs should have used if the stories were accurate. What is it concealing?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

"Don't worry, Krag knows dispel magic! Krag just need some material components first."

Krag goes off to find himself a hammer of some kind, made of stone or metal, likely taking it from the local blacksmith. Once he's found it he smashes the hammer against the orb as hard as he can.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"Wait! What are you doing?! No!!!!"

B o n g g g g g g g g

A wave of energy blasts into Krag then ripples through the entire village. For a brief instant the illusion is disrupted. All the human buildings and all the human people change into something much different.

You are surrounded by goblins! The village looks quite a bit different too. The only thing that still looks the same are the bits of elven ruins and the fountain.

Krag is a smoking heap on the ground, knocked prone by the blast. He takes http://orokos.com/roll/210364: 1d8 4 damage, and his hair and face are singed.

"Get a good look? Are you happy now? If the Order mercenaries saw that, they'll be attacking any second!" the very annoyed mayor shouts at Krag. He looks back to 'normal', meaning an old human instead of a warty old goblin.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

Krag stands up after recovering from the blast of energy raises his hands into the air and yells "KRAG HACK!"

After realising that he is truly the most powerful wizard in the land he walks up to the goblin mayor.

"Don't worry little goblin. Krag Hack will protect you from the mercenaries. Krag killed a lich once. Krag confident Krag can kill them as long as they arent liches too. Liches have philly trees whichs makes them hard to kill. You need to chop down their philly trees first."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The exasperated mayor backs away from Krag.

"We had an understanding with Alarel. This is his doing. He gets access to the ruins. We feed Winnie and live here among the ruins. Our presence here keeps the Order from messing around in the ruins. But if they find out we are just goblins, they will slaughter us and raid the place."

That elven ballad starts up again. During the brief disruption, its beautiful melodies became the screeching voice of a goblin that clearly can't sing at all.

"I wasn't lieing about being peaceful. We have a good thing going here. Nice music, good food, humans might look strange but we got used to that too. It's an illusion but it's real enough to us. Don't screw it up, ok?"

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

"Why nobody tell Krag these things! Krag will help you, Krag get little Willy to tell Order to go home. Krag like goblins, Krag's best friend a goblin! Krag do everything he can to help. Krag really needs to find Ariel though. You think Krag might find clues by exploring ruins?"

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Willy Hollins

Willy is pissed at the dwarven idiot, but it takes two idiots to really gently caress up a situation. The mayor's the other one.

"Jeez you've gotten slow and lazy hiding behind illusions. Next time some idiot approaches your magic monument and threatens your peace, stop him or something!

"Too later for that now though, I guess all I can offer is my permission as head of the class to punish Krag Hack for his stupidity and reckless endangerment of us and the whole village." She hands the mayor the ugly kobold dagger, hilt first.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"Alarel set this up, we didn't think his apprentices would harm it! And uh...uh...no that won't be necessary," the mayor says as he backs awayfrom the knife.

"If we attract too much attention the Order will just send more men. Those mercs outside town need to be handled delicately. Can you do it?"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Borsir Frostbrew

Borsir, who had been content to keep his mouth shut and let the others approach with more grace, went slack-jawed as the illusion fell away. "Oh, my gods."

The elven magic has been so cleverly twisted over this place that Borsir was impressed with his teacher: it would be a neat trick indeed to repurpose an artifact like that. As Willy moved to take care of Krag, who really was quite human despite her insistence, Borsir finally decided to risk opening his mouth. "Mayor, we can certainly try to see them off, but there's no guarantee it will go well. If Alarel wasn't here last, though, it's likely these mercenaries have him, which is even more trouble."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Willy Hollins

Dwarfism of the brain is the worst place to have it as a wizard's apprentice.

"Take it from me, most apprentices are nothing special. Your mercy's noted though, I'll make sure the idiot earns it by making things right."

She drags him away in case any of the other villagers try to take her up on her offer to knifepunish the offender, which was mostly a bluff.

"You hungry Krag? Wait, why ask you when I could just cut open your stomach and see for myself?

"I bet that's how you became a so-called hero to begin with, by befriending monsters then betraying them to the Order or something like it.

"Whatever, we have to convince these mercenaries that the goblin village and music and junk was the illusion. Let's go before they fill it with burning arrows or something."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Immeral Liadon

Well that was interesting. Though Krag's actions may lead to problems later. But what was that about Willy being head of the class? She was starting to get rather full of herself. Oh well no point in bringing the matter up right now, now it is more important to investigate the Order.

"Yes lets go and investigate the Order. Though maybe going right up to them is not the best of ideas."

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Alister Eastwell

"Ye gods Krag of course it's a damned illusion! Do you think that children are often masters of the arcane arts?" Alister looks back to the mayor "Sorry sir, I do not think that Krag meant ill with his action, he is just very.... direct in his approach. Each of us had already drawn some conclusions about what is going on here and his just happened to require a hammer to test them. I assure you that we have no desire to harm your village or the people in it. Your secret as they would say, is safe with us. Although this is quite a magnificent work of enchantment, I am surprised that this is the first time you have had anyone snooping around. If you don't mind my asking, how long has your village been hiding in plain sight like this? Which came first, the illusion or the village?"

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"We've been here about two years in...this form. Before that a few more, but the ruins were unknown to any but us. And we didn't know their significance - that orb didn't do much but provide water. When Alarel arrived he made us the offer and we took it."

With that he bids you good luck with the Order. You quickly reach the outskirts of town with Winnie in tow. On this side of town, opposite from where you entered at first, the forest quickly covers any open land. Through the trees you can see a campfire not too far off in the distance. Lazy grey smoke billows upwards.

How do you approach? Shall Winnie go with you for protection, or be left behind so he doesn't cause panic?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

just for that you fuckers

Krag leaves Winnie behind with a big hug and blunders forth into the direction of the Order camp. Krag being mostly incapable of subtlety and careful movement makes plenty of noise accompanied by a 'HELLO ORDER, I AM KRAG HACK' until he is presumably surrounded.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Krag stumbles into the camp of a pair of elves and a human warrior. Theres an elven maiden who had been about to strike up a tune on a lute, a wizard of some sort, and the human is still wearing armor and has a shield and weapon at his side. The shield is emblazoned with the symbol of the Order of Baelas. Tents and a campfire round out the clearing.

As they hear Krag blundering through the trees, they panic.

"Ambush! To arms!"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Borsir Frostbrew

Without even a proper weapon or armor, Borsir longed for the days of his time in the dwarven halls, when he would have his warhammer in such situations. Borsir stood in awe at Krag went trampling to his own demise, then whispered to the other members of the party, "For a man who rants about liches, he's little finesse in dealing with the living. Shall we intercede, or watch this play out before revealing ourselves?"

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

"HELLO! I am Krag Hack! Mighty Adventurer and Fearsome wizzy! May I share your campfire! Krag not eaten for hours!"

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The human says "Holy Baelas, you scared the crap out of me!"

The elven woman laughs for a good minute or so. Her companion in the robes merely shakes his head in disbelief and sits back down to stare into the fire. The woman addresses Krag as she sits and takes up her lute again.

"Well met, Krag. I am Tinathalassa, warrior of the Order. This is my brother Davenarious and our comrade in arms Gregor. Share our fire if you will."

Gregor still appears ill at ease, remains standing, and says, "Did you come from that cursed town? What have they done to you?"

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

Krag looks confused for a moment.

"Cursed town? No town has done something to Krag. Krag is just Krag! Krag too big to hurt Krag anyway. Your not very smart Mr. Greg. Krag is a wizzy apprentice to Ariel! He's a great wizzy but Krag not seen him for a while. Krag been trying to find him."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Davenarious raises an eyebrow with a look of mild horror creeping across his elven face.

"Did you...did you just say...you are a wizard? Sweet merciful gods, what madman would teach..."

His sister cuts him off quickly.

"What my brother means to say is, it is a blessing that the magical arts have spread so far and wide. Once those arts were the domain of the elves alone. And your teacher is Ariel, do you mean Alarel? We've heard much about him. Do tell."

She puts the lute down. Gregor's grip tightens on his mace.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The rest of you, let me know what you are doing after Krag disappears. He's causing one hell of a distraction, so if you creep in you get advantage on any Stealth check.

He may be in alone but this involves all of you.

Wizard supremacy means using this gigantic distraction as skillfully as possible. :science:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

Krag stops to get deep into thought for a moment.

"Well, Krag was busy adventuring one day until he got picked up to fight the Red Wizzies and then Krag killed a Lichy and chopped down his philly tree. Then the Lichy world exploded and Krag think short stabby man accidentally released a demon but Krag not sure. Anyway Krag after fighting lots of red wizzies think wizzy magic hits very hard and Krag likes hitting very hard so Krag go find a wizzy to teach him! Krag find Ariel, Ariel teaching Krag wizzy magic. Sometimes Krag not like it because Krag wasn't allowed to bring his axe but thats okay because Krag learn good spell like punch and punch a long way away. Krag not know much about Ariel though. Krag tried to find his books like the lichie books but no monsters come out for Krag to fight. Krag realised Ariel not around for a while so Krag go looking for him."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Borsir Frostbrew

Borsir moves closer, through the underbrush, and for once is glad to be without his scale mail: the robes of his current appointment lend him a bit of quiet in his approach.

Sneaking closer: 2#1d20 16 3

Once in position, he waits, taking in the scene and watching to see how Krag will be treated. A clever spell or two could deal with the situation, but it would surely result in a combat, so perhaps a moment of pause to watch the insane apprentice's plan...

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Immeral Liadon

Immeral follows Krag, slowly and at least with some attempt at stealth. He probably would have been noticed if not for how good of a distraction Krag's rambling was. Still he sneaks up, takes in the tenseness of the situation, but does not initiate hostilities himself. No that would just be giving in to the sterotype of high elves caring not for the lives of others. Instead Immeral prepares a spell, should hostilities break out he will unleash a Magic Missile upon the human holding a mace, not Krag of course.

Stealth reroll from advantage 2#1d20+3 4 17

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
As Krag rattles on, a bead of sweat drips down Gregor's face and falls to the forest floor, splattering on his boot.

He snaps.

"Enough! Alarel has defiled a holy place of the Order! Baeles demands he be brought to justice, made to burn under the sun for his insolence! And youuuuu..."

Tinathalassa shouts, "Damnit, Gregor, control yourself! Oh, poo poo, here we go."

Her brother's hand goes to his forehead as he leans forward slightly.

Immeral and Borsir creep unseen into position nearby and can hear the exchange. If poo poo gets real, anyone in stealth will take part in a surprise round first. If anyone screws up a stealth check, you'll probably *cause* the fight instead. If anyone stays back with Winnie you'll probably not make it to the camp in time if hostilities break out.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

"Krag not sure what that word means. De-file-Ded. Anyway, Krag think you very cranky. When Krag was a baby Krag needed to take a nap when he was cranky. Maybe you need nap too? Krag learn't a new spell to help Krag take a nap!"

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Willy Hollins

Krag outpaces Willy with his determined-to-die strides, especially since she needs to spend a minute preparing Magic Missile. But she shows up by the time Greg gets cross, huffing and puffing maybe, just in time to stop bloodshed.

"Nooo! What are you talking about justice? Krag's just a simpleton spouting nonsense! Look at his hands for goodness's sake. He's a dishwasher." She calls forth memories of Cathy's death and her nightmares to bring tears to her eyes.

"Alarel... is not as evil as you say. He took Krag in out of pity. Me too. I know whatever quarrel you have can be solved without violence, if only you help us find him."

Charisma: 1d20+3 12
Initiative: 1d20+3 16

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 29, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Gregor goes ballistic as another supporter of Alarel emerges from the trees. Willy gave a valiant effort, really, but Krag had already burned all the bridges and salted the fields and...you get the picture. And this Gregor fellow was already a bit paranoid.

"I'll have none of your foul magics tainting our souls! Alarel and all his servants shall pay for what they've done to the holy sites of Baeles! Defend yourselves, heathens!"

And with that we have initiative. But first, the two of you in stealth get a surprise round to act. Everyone else can roll init now to get it out of the way.

init for Greg, Tina, Dave: 1d20 18 2#1d20+3 8 16

Initiative
:rolldice: Krag
:rolldice: Willy
:rolldice: Immeral (stealthed, surprise round)
:rolldice: Borsir (stealthed, surprise round)
:rolldice: Alister (out of the area?)
18) Gregor
08) Tinathalassa
16) Davenarious

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Alister Eastwell

Alister was doing his best to keep his ragged breathing quiet. As he made his way through the underbrush, he moved as quickly as he thought possible without drawing raising the alarm. His mind raced. Everything started moving so fast, like a landslide. One minute everyone was walking towards a distant campfire and the next, Krag had barged into a party of what were probably deranged zealots. Now everyone had scattering off into the underbrush. This lack of organization is going to get everyone killed.

Making out the hunched over figure of Borsir, Alister slows his approach and moves as carefully as he can among the dried twigs and brambles to get a better look at the exchange taking place. Stealth check 13

ooc: Sorry, got interrupted mid way doing the turn and see I missed the next entry before posting.

Initiative 1d20+2: 21 [1d20=19]

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 29, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Alister steps on a few dried twigs among the trees just as hostilities break out.

No surprise round for you, roll normal init.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Initiative
:rolldice: Borsir (stealthed, surprise round)
19) Alister
18) Gregor
18) Krag
16) Willy
16) Davenarious
08) Tinathalassa

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Alister Eastwell

(when appropriate)

Alister's eyes drop down towards the now broken twig, then up to the mess in front of him. Before he has time to register the entireity of the scene, an incantation is on his lips and his hand assumes a tense two fingered pointing gesture aimed at the spell caster among the hostiles. Ray of Frost 1d20+5: 18 [1d20=13]attack roll, with a massive 1d8: 2 [1d8=2] damage if it actually hit.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Borsir Frostbrew

Initiative: 1d20=20

As trouble starts brewing, Borsir gets to work: first, Charm Person on the human fighter.

He's gotta deal with a Wisdom save vs 12, so let's hope. If he fails his check, then Borsir is going to suggest he back out of the combat, for his own well-being (given that they're such good chums).

Next, before anyone can do much of anything else, he sends a Fire Bolt hurling at the elf-mage before them.

Attack Roll: 1d20+4=18
Damage: 1d10=6

As the fire clears, he bellows. "Surrender now, lest we hurt you all."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Borsir casts charm person on Gregor, but Gregor's divine training allows him to easily resist the spell. save vs charm DC12: 1d20+5 24.

The wizard is seriously injured as the fire bolt blows a hole in his robes, leaving them scorched. The smell of burning flesh fills the air.

Initiative
20) Borsir
:rolldice: 19) Alister (ray of frost queued for after Immeral goes)
18) Gregor
18) Krag
16) Willy
16) Davenarious (6 damage)
08) Tinathalassa

ritorix fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 29, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Immeral Liadon

As the man shouts and takes an aggressive, clearly planning to strike out at those who have done him no harm whatsoever, Immeral finishes the last syllables of his spell, and 3 bolts of force lance forth and strike the man.

Then he unleashes a bolt of fire at the remaining elf, feeling slightly sad to be striking down one of his kind.

Magic Missile jerk 3#1d4+1 3, 3, 4 Force damage
Initiative 1d20+3 23

First turn:
Fire Bolt Gregor 1d20+6 16 for 1d10 8 fire damage.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 29, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Gregor is blasted in the chest and falls over, several smoking holes the only evidence of what killed him.

Around that time, Alister's ray of frost strikes the elven wizard. It was too much. He crumples and falls, never having said a word the entire time.

"Noooo! Brother! You monsters!!!"

Right about then, Immeral's bolt of flame nails her right in the chest.

Initiative
Immeral
20) Borsir
19) Alister
18) Gregor
:rolldice: 18) Krag
:rolldice: 16) Willy
16) Davenarious
08) Tinathalassa (-8)

ritorix fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 29, 2014

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

"KRAG CASTS FIST!"

Krag steps up, casts shocking grasp and flails incompetently http://orokos.com/roll/210579

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I edited in my first round into my post only to see your post afterwards, edited it again to switch to the last remaining target.

• Locked thread