Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crackhead.
Mar 20, 2002
Last week I waited until we got the kids to bed and then spent two hours at Walmart and the grocery store because shopping alone is relaxing and a luxury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

butplug accident posted:

if you take age to mean time as a function of brain plasticity/learning ability, as opposed to chronological age which is pretty arbitrary, you're middle-aged at around 20, op :)

no. the brain is the one thing that keeps working into old age. As long as you don't get a disease like Alzheimer's or dementia.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
who gives a gently caress about yo brain how long will my cock last???

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Zzulu posted:

who gives a gently caress about yo brain how long will my cock last???

bout 60 years. 70 if your lucky

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006
gently caress, I turn 40 in exactly 1 month.

The bad: My hair is going fast, I'm about 15 lbs heavier than optimal, and after gettin' it on with the wife I need a full 24hrs before my soldier will stand at attention again.

The good: I've reached the point in my career where I'm at the top. Nice house, great wife, kids, dog, etc. Can still outplay the 20somethings I work with at pretty much everything.

Bottom line: Not so bad.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
I'm closing in on fifty and I'm happier than I've ever been. Work is great, I head up my department so I get to tell other people what to do, I like my work and and I'm sent to professional development courses where I learn stuff I enjoy, and I make modest bank. I own my own house, car, camper, and boat, and all of the debts of my youth are cleared away, financially and figuratively. I've had a few minor health issues but eating healthy, avoiding processed foods and alcohol, and thyroid medicine have taken care of all that (and there's still :350: for relaxing and chilling out.) I have the time and money to pursue my hobbies and pleasures without having to deny myself much of anything. As a middle-aged woman I'm basically invisible to men now, but after a bit of initial mental adjustment I have really started to enjoy a permanent vacation from the male gaze, and I've met a lot of cool women my age who like the same things I do and feel the same way so there's never a shortage of friends to hang out with. I never had kids but I've watched my nieces and nephews grow up and now they have children of their own, so I get to be a great-aunt-grandma-by-proxy and spoil their little nippers (and occasionally help them out with some cash.)

I feel loving awesome and life is good, and I'm glad I hung on long enough to get to this place. :) You will be, too. You're only 31, don't give up yet.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dirty Sanchez posted:

I need a full 24hrs before my soldier will stand at attention again.

Can still outplay the 20somethings I work with at pretty much everything.

Except sex.

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001
The last few old people posts have been heartening. Thanks.

bonestructure posted:

avoiding alcohol

This however, I feel, is a mistake.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Touche. At least there's a pill for that. Unfortunately (or fortunately), with two little ones in the house it hasn't been called for.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dirty Sanchez posted:

Touche. At least there's a pill for that. Unfortunately (or fortunately), with two little ones in the house it hasn't been called for.

What? Are you the only man alive who won't gently caress his woman because there are children in the house?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
just take her into the woods and gently caress her like an ape

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!
52, trippin balls, trusting no one

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001

Subliminal Sauce posted:

fuckin sweet av, old man.

edit: The few times I've tripped balls in my life were some of the best times of my life. I feel like I've had this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overview_effect without ahvintg to have been to space.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Subliminal Sauce posted:

you rule grandpa

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Ramsus posted:

lmao at a man that is worried about what his wife will think if he drinks a few beers at home on the weekend while he cleans the house and doesn't have any kids.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
it must be pretty bad to have an IT career, even if the pay is okay.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

it must be pretty bad to have an IT career, even if the pay is okay.

you don't have to be spiritually or emotionally dead to thrive here, but it helps

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
Mods ban this chucklefuck for drunkposting in GBS.

Aurora-Capitah
Apr 29, 2014

by XyloJW
Four beers, lol

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

brizna posted:

bitching

SERIOUS GBS POST:

I am 31 and in exactly the same boat as you except it was 12 months ago when I realised how bored and depressed I was and that I had to do something about it (thanks for the motivation to make me desperately not want to end up like you for the rest of my life, Work Crew thread)

I'm now quitting work to go and do a funded masters and then a 1-year funded residency at the same major research university to develop my business idea

How about you sack up and do something about it, put kids off for two or three years, you're a young white male who can code well there is literally NO BETTER PERSON TO BE to make a major change in your life

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
four beers makes you fear for your sobriety and dehydration? lol

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

poo poo old man I had like 4 beers by noon yesterday. mowed the grass, weed whacked and poo poo too

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost
I'm almost forty and as happy as I've ever been.

The bad? I need to stay on top of poo poo like never before. If I don't watch what I eat, I gain weight faster than I did when I was thirty. It takes about ten pounds before I can't sleep well and my blood pressure spikes. That means almost no drinking, sugar, fried food, and so on. The older I get, the more my quality of life is a product of my screwups than my moments of genius, so the rule of the day is keeping the screwups in check.

The good? I'm more focused and resilient than I was when I was twenty. I can work on a project for five years and not lose any sleep if it fails. I'm also more honest and direct with myself (and everyone else), and better at reading people, so my relationships are better. Girlfriend is in her late 20s, and late-20s me wouldn't have had a chance making things work with her.

brizna posted:

I can't stand work. We supposedly live in a democratic society, but our day to day lives are ultimately authoritarian. Corporations are extremely hierarchical and I've done a good job of climbing the ladder, but I can't stand what I've done/become. God I hate sending emails across lines of business just to make my name known. Ugh. We live in a farce. I wish I made more money so I can check out earlier.

Well, that's sad.

If you hate it enough to complain, you hate it enough to do something else. So do something else. You're an educated white guy who's part of a dual-income/no kids household. You're not going to starve.

Also, have you talked to your wife about this? That's, like, a big part of what she's there for, and I promise you she'd rather you talk to her about this than stay quiet and wetjet the apartment.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

im 25 and i have no meaningful work experience. gettin a masters and poo poo. how hosed am i and can i look foward to a life of wage slavery?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

brizna posted:

I just spent the last few hours cleaning the apartment while drinking beers and listening to music. The wife started her morning with yoga followed by lunch/drinks with her old coworkers, so I took advantage of the four (4) beers in the fridge and wetjetted this poo poo like a pro.

It was one of the better afternoons I've had in awhile (cuz of the beer).

I go to work every day. I code every day. It's mentally exhausting. I have all these ideas kicking around in my head that I want to implement and put out there, but I just don't have the energy. I am 31 years old and I am trapped. Kids are around the corner. They will trap me further. While they'll make me supremely happy in other dimensions, the Age of Brian is over. I am drinking gatorade to combat dehydration.

I'm a little worried about when the wife comes home and finds me super tipsy/drunk. I hope the fact that the apartment is spotless will compensate.

I can't stand work. We supposedly live in a democratic society, but our day to day lives are ultimately authoritarian. Corporations are extremely hierarchical and I've done a good job of climbing the ladder, but I can't stand what I've done/become. God I hate sending emails across lines of business just to make my name known. Ugh. We live in a farce. I wish I made more money so I can check out earlier.

I watched Escape from New York and LA recently. I'm a little disappointed in John Carpenter for blowing his load on escape from LA. NY was a low budget (6m) film that did modestly well (25m). LA was big budget (50m) and flopped (25m). If they just stayed modest we'd have seen a lot more from Snake Plissken. Bah. Ditto but for Dredd. Ditto but for Riddick. I escape into dystopian sci fi a lot.

I was having a fantastic run on Friday. I was over two miles in at a sub 6:30 pace and my left calf started hurting like a mother fucker. One step it was fine. The next it wasn't. gently caress. It's still painful. It's getting better but it'll take time. My body is not what it used to be.

My life of quiet desperation doesn't have an ending in sight.

Aight goons. Let's commiserate. I'm off to pick up more beers and some quarters for the wash.

Same but turning 26 in a few months (and also no kids or gf on the horizon)

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Dear Op,

Smoke weed every day.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You're welcome.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Ramsus posted:

lmao at a man that is worried about what his wife will think if he drinks a few beers at home on the weekend while he cleans the house and doesn't have any kids.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Don't have any loving kids. Unless, of course, there is no real point to your existence and you might as well sacrifice yourself.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
OP, I'm about your age. Got the marriage, the kids, the yard, the basic grownup thing.
I could blather on about my life and how loving something or other it is, but no one gives a poo poo about that.

The only point I want to make is that you aren't loving trapped. The idea that anyone can be trapped in a life they are not happy with is absurd. Your freshly wetjetted apartment isn't Auschwitz. Your job, your wife, and your beery brain aren't trapping you. You can do whatever the gently caress you please at any given moment.

Don't want to leave your wife and job? Cool. But own it. Life is like linear algebra. Iterate until you reach an optimization given the constraints. Got a wild-rear end idea? Do it. Hate matrices? Me too. Understand what sacrifices you are willing to make and what sacrifices you aren't.

Don't look for the ending of your quiet life of desperation. It will find you soon enough. Think about things you want to do. Not the things that give you brief pleasure like cumming, but the things that are compelling like romance. Plan it out. Indulge yourself in a little bit of megalomania. No one else is the loving star of your life, so live like it. You aren't an extra is someone else's goddamn movie.

Humans are the only creatures that can craft a world or a situation in their head and then use those simulations to cause it to be reality. Fail to utilize that ability and you are basically sitting in the grass chewing your cud.

Now slap yourself in the face and go own your life.

Jesus

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

and make candy

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Clamps McGraw posted:

SERIOUS GBS POST:

I am 31 and in exactly the same boat as you except it was 12 months ago when I realised how bored and depressed I was and that I had to do something about it (thanks for the motivation to make me desperately not want to end up like you for the rest of my life, Work Crew thread)

I'm now quitting work to go and do a funded masters and then a 1-year funded residency at the same major research university to develop my business idea

How about you sack up and do something about it, put kids off for two or three years, you're a young white male who can code well there is literally NO BETTER PERSON TO BE to make a major change in your life

I have a similar story. I'm 35 and recently discovered weed. I was never really into it in my youth but god drat I like me some weed now.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Leroy Diplowski posted:

OP, I'm about your age. Got the marriage, the kids, the yard, the basic grownup thing.
I could blather on about my life and how loving something or other it is, but no one gives a poo poo about that.

The only point I want to make is that you aren't loving trapped. The idea that anyone can be trapped in a life they are not happy with is absurd. Your freshly wetjetted apartment isn't Auschwitz. Your job, your wife, and your beery brain aren't trapping you. You can do whatever the gently caress you please at any given moment.

Don't want to leave your wife and job? Cool. But own it. Life is like linear algebra. Iterate until you reach an optimization given the constraints. Got a wild-rear end idea? Do it. Hate matrices? Me too. Understand what sacrifices you are willing to make and what sacrifices you aren't.

Don't look for the ending of your quiet life of desperation. It will find you soon enough. Think about things you want to do. Not the things that give you brief pleasure like cumming, but the things that are compelling like romance. Plan it out. Indulge yourself in a little bit of megalomania. No one else is the loving star of your life, so live like it. You aren't an extra is someone else's goddamn movie.

Humans are the only creatures that can craft a world or a situation in their head and then use those simulations to cause it to be reality. Fail to utilize that ability and you are basically sitting in the grass chewing your cud.

Now slap yourself in the face and go own your life.

Jesus

don't sign your posts

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
sid vicious is a postmodern bohemian

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur
Take steroids. Any guy over 30 should be juicing. Your natural testosterone is starting to plummet around that age, so it only makes sense. You can probably even get tested and get a prescription for TRT so it's all legal and possibly covered by health benefits.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

I want to live in a world where everyone over 30 looks like vince mcmahon

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
any useful advice for an early-20s chronic fuckup?like i managed to flunk/do badly in pretty much every academic endeavour so far and have only had a handful of service industry jobs with super long employment gaps.
basically just ways to make my mind less lovely & weak, & get some idea of what i want to do & how to get there.figure somebody in this thread must have clawed their way out of a similarly embarrassing life situation.plus it's always cool to hear how people got their poo poo together

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I feel old because I care about insurance quotes and power bills and poo poo now, but at least im not fuckin trapped. I have rad friends, a rad car (I like cars so this means something to me), and a rad computer.

Once that starts going its straight to Eve Online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you married too early

• Locked thread