Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

JT Jag posted:

So the modified Drago, being the first transformed animal, eventually turns into Arceus?

What about the Reconstructed Caribou?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The Drago was modded first, but you fight the Caribou first. Remember, you fight the Caribou heading up the mountain to find Hinawa, Claus and Lucas; by this time, Hinawa's already been killed by the mechanised Drago.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So Fassad is the one true Pokegod, huh.

Next update may be a bit later than usual, was going to play today but real life stuff came up, and I'm going to be busy this weekend. Resubbing to FF14 doesn't help either.

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011

DjinnAndTonic posted:

When I first saw this one, I was like "Huh? Ostrelephant? Is it some kind of chimera? Where's the elephant par- OH! Oh God, it's horrible!" Seriously, for some reason the fact that the Ostrich's body has that creepy toothy smile on it just freaks me out.

:golfclap: Good job, monster designer.

Funnily enough, the ostrelephant is my son's favourite monster design so far, batangutan being second. He goes out of his way to fight them because he likes them so much. Every time he gets in a fight with one, he starts giggling like crazy, pointing at it, and making elephant/monkey sounds. Then he makes ME finish the battle, because he doesn't want to hurt the ele/monk.

...I honestly hope he loses interest before he gets to the ending. Or at the very least doesn't grasp what's going on in the plot and just likes the funny animals. Hinawa went right over his head, so maybe.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mega64 mentioned the stronger Dogfish but didn't bother looking for it. At this point in the game, you're wasting your time trying to find it. It's called the Top Dogfish, it has a wonky battle rhythm, and it's strong as hell. It's one of the game's rare enemies as well, so conceivably you can play through the game and not see it once.

It has a 100% chance of dropping a Meteotite, which you can sell for a ton of DP, but if you're fighting it with more than one enemy the chance of getting one drops. It's kinda like the Star Pendants that Major Psychic Psychos drop in Earthbound.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

BlackPersona posted:

What about the Reconstructed Caribou?

there actually exists a Pokemon called Stantler

It's quite literally the most forgettable one ever but it is a thing

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Proof that this is not, in fact, Pokemon.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Variant_Eris posted:

Not canon.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Variant_Eris posted:

Awesome stuff. Added to second post.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Last time, Lucas got his first job, and with it the sweet rewards of working for the man, including some tickets he needed to hopefully find Duster.

Before we do the thing we were sent out to do, let's go back to Tazmily.

That's dangerous! What the heck are you thinking, going into the tunnel this late at night?! I dunno what yer story is, but you're still young! Don't just throw away your life! Okay?! Alright, then. Now that you understand, go on! And just forget about me. Later.

You can't actually go back to Tazmily, as this familiar-looking guy will stop you every time.

You again?! How many times do I gotta say it?! You're young! Don't throw yer life away! Youthful impatience, huh? I dunno what yer deal is, but you should apply that to sports or something more useful! Now, look! I'm a busy guy, myself! So stop giving me work to do!

The thing is, each time you try to go in, he has something different to say.

I figured it was you again! Please, just give it a rest already! This is almost like a comic book at this point! Just behave yerself. Forget all about this tunnel.

He'll say new things for six attempts. That's three so far.

I was keepin' an eye out for you. I thought you might show up...and you did. C'mon, just turn back now. Please?

I do love how there's so many obscure and cool, useless details lying around this game. Most people won't even think of going back to Tazmily, let alone trying this repeatedly. I certainly didn't my first playthrough.

You're teasin' me, aren't you? You're not mockin' me for being kind, friendly, and sympathetic, are you? You are, aren't you? Alright, this'll be the last time. I'm not going to stop you anymore. I won't stop you next time. But just turn back now. Please?

He's lying, of course.

I dunno if you care or not, but I'll tell you anyways. My big bro lives on the other side of this tunnel. People say he looks just like me. ...No idea what he's up to lately, though.

And so ends the legendary story of the "Other guy who stops kids from walking aimlessly on dangerous train tracks." Keep well, noble soul.

Oh right, Club Titiboo.

This ropeway leads to Club Titiboo. Do you want to ride up it?

Yes. We even have tickets now!

...Yes, everything is in order here. Please, get on.

At any rate, we're finally here.

After all the trouble we went through to get here? No thanks.

Oh, okay. By the way, have you had a chance to look through the binoculars there?

Quite the view. Now to load state so I can save a DP and deprive Lucas the memory of such a view.

Yep.

The bald guy is Skinhead, while the hairy guy is Neckbeard. I didn't make these names up, that's what the translation actually uses.

We don't allow pets inside. Sorry, but I'm gonna have to ask you to leave.
Come back some other time.

Whoa. It's that guy who had a dog with him just a minute ago...

No, there's somethin' fishy about this! Where'd that dog from earlier go, and where'd this dog-like dude come from?! And on top of that, you smell underage!

Now that you mention it, this IS weird! No suspicious people allowed! That's our rule here! Scram! Get lost, you kid-like guy and you dog-like dude!
Nah! I say we pulverize 'em right here!

If it isn't the underage-smelling Poo and the dog-smelling Wuuf!

I take it you two've been mistaken for an underage kid and a dog yet again? *giggle*

Whaaa?! You know these dudes, Violet?
I dunno, I still say there's somethin' not right about these guys! Especially this dog-like dude here. Shake!

See? You do know how to shake. *grin*
*wh-whimper* (Yes, I do know how to shake, but...)

But, dude. If by chance you ARE a dog... You'd be one of the best dogs to ever shake. Heh.
Wonderful! Come in, have lots of fun, and forget about alllllll your worries!

And with that, Violet leaves and we're finally allowed in.

Please enjoy yourselves.
Good job!

And we can also now look at the signs at the entrance.

D Desperado
C Crash
M Mambo
C Combo
We're looking for help for the cheering squad.

Alright, let's get in!

And with that, we finally enter Club Titiboo.

Listen, but don't change the expressionon your face.

We met at the Sunshine Forest, remember? I'll explain everything later. ...Put on a smile, will ya? Okay, good. Okay! The next DCMC song is about to begin! Please go on in and find some empty seats. *giggle*

So Violet is actually Kumatora in disguise for some reason. At least we have another ally to rely on now.

Before we venture further, let's talk to the people in the lobby first.

And also buy things. This will get us a Big City Cola.

You really should try one at least once!

You can buy food here. These things restore 20/30/100/70/60 HP respectively. Don't waste time on the cheaper stuff, item space is still pretty valuable right now so getting the best bang for your buck is nice, though it'll be rare that you'll need 100 but not 70HP recovery. And besides, your inventory should be full of Hard Boiled Eggs anyway.

I got some homemade DCMC mechandise for ya right here! If it breaks or rips, I'll stay up all night to fix it! Nah! Just kiddin'! I kid a lot! But never mind that, buy some o' these here DCMC goods!

The DCMC gear is a nice defense boost for Lucas (and Boney can wear the hat, too). The pamphlet's weaker than his current weapon, but it apparently does bonus damage against DCMC fans. Note that we won't actually be fighting any this chapter, plus we'll get a free one soon enough. Meanwhile, the Veggie Plate restores a pathetic 10HP.

Now that we've looked at the merchandise, let's explore the lobby.

We don't have restrooms for dogs here. Oh, you're not a dog? My apologies. *giggle*

All the waitresses here giggle at the end of everything they say. I really wish they'd get rid of that rule, though. It's so stupid. *giggle*

Tonda Gossa! That's the greeting. You know, THE greeting? Tonda Gossa! You should at least learn the DCMC greeting, you know!

To the right is a staff room, to the left are the bathrooms.

No.

This is the ladies' room, you know.

Yes.

There's someone in here!

And if we don't...

No matter where I am, I never forget my job.

Now let's go take in the show.

*whistle* *whistle*

Eee! I love you, Magic!!!

Baccio! Baccio!

OJ!!! Wooo!

Zmizz! You're the greatest!

Yeah! Lucky!

*chew* *chew* Everyone's just waiting for the encore now. *giggle*

I think you have to talk to everyone to advance the plot anyway, but it's mostly fluff so

If you try to leave, you'll get five different reactions that all cycle in order, starting with this guy.

This guy is one of the DCMC members.

Huh? I messed up again.

Aaaahhhh! Watch where you're walking! You got ketchup all over my clothes! Aww, man! Thanks a lot!

Oh, sir. Pardon me. Would you like a Bag of Big City Fries? It's only 40 DP. *giggle*

No thanks. If I wanted them, I'd buy them at the concession stand for the same price.

Oh, that's too bad. But please try some sometime, okay?

Now let's talk to the audience.

Supposedly, there's just one guy who makes the whole world go 'round. No, actually, I'm not sure if it's a guy or not. I guess it could be a woman or even a kid.

Tonda Gossa! In my line of sight is that man who's always at the beach. He's staring at me like he really likes me... I'm starting to think that I could like him, too.

Tonda Gossa! In my line of sight is that girl who's always at the beach. She's staring at me like she really likes me... I'm starting to think that I could like her, too.

Yep, it's that same two from the beach at Tazmily.

I hope the encore starts soon. Oh, and after each concert, one of the girls here even gives out free DCMC pamphlets!

Lucky, the bass player, definitely looks a lot like Duster. But don't know. There's something different about him. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Tessie's also here for some reason.

I thought for sure he was our head honcho, but apparently there are people higher up on the ladder than him.

I've been wondering about it for a while now, but you know Lucky, the bass player? ...That totally has to be a wig. Heheheh.

*chuckle*

You smell like a dog. Like a dog, and a kid. This ain't no place for dog-smelling kids to come.

These guys don't have front-facing sprites, including the big pigmask guy apparently.

(The encore won't start if we keep walking around like this. Let's go sit down, okay?)

Once we talk to everyone, Boney will ask us to get seated so we can get to the good stuff. I'm done with everything, so let's do so.

... You want... water?
Pppppth!!

I was wondering who in the world would order water in a place like this! I mean, come on? Water? Ppppppttth!

One Fizzy Soda for this here boy! And a Big City Cola for his dog-like friend! It's on me, the great Thomas, of course!
Certainly, sir! One Fizzy Soda instead of water, and one Big City Cola. Coming right up. *giggle*

I could buy so many drat fizzy colas I could drown you in a tub filled with them, old man.

Shhh. Listen, but don't change the expression on your face. There's a lot I need to talk to you about after the DCMC concert's over. After it's over, don't leave. Hang out in the lobby. I'll be there to get you. Alright, see ya later. You idiot! Don't change your expression!

Heeeey, Lucas! What were you and Violet talkin' about? I never knew you were such a ladies' man!

Yeah, I wonder why women never spend much time with you, Thomas.

OH MY PORK! Looks like our time is up, sad to say. So here's one last song for ya. Here's "King P's Theme"!

So, while I could do GIFs and stuff, it still won't do this justice. Of course this game, like Mother 1 and Earthbound, has an iconic musical scene, and even GIFs alone won't do it justice. So here's the video:

Video: DCMC Encore Performance

And for reference's sake, here's a Tindeck link of the above song.

At any rate, the performance is over, and we have some more dialogue from the audience.

Heeeey, Lucas! What were you and Violet talkin' about? I mean, you just met for the first time, right?! Man, you're good!

Whew, that was great! Now to head back to the factory and put in some overtime!

Oh my pork! What if all the trains have stopped running for today and I can't get back home?

Tonda Gossa! I wonder if there's still a train heading back home...

If Lucky really is Duster, why doesn't he recognize me?

Word is that everyone in the DCMC's lost their memory.

Oh, that's probably why.

I wanna be in a band too...

See! I told you so! Lucky the bass player's wig started to come off during the Tonda Gos-song!

I wish I could listen to them forever!

The place smelled a little more dog-like today than usual, but it was still a great show!

Tonda Gossa! Tonda Gossa!

How about a DCMC Pamphlet as a souvenir of your visit to Club Titiboo? *chew* *chew* *giggle* They're real popular with die-hard fans. You just scored yourself some nice swag! *giggle*

And like that, we scored a free pamphlet. If we talk to her again...

Will you come back again? You won't? You will? You will won't? *giggle*, right? Are you doing anything later? Are you not? Give you a break already? Will I give you no break already? Whatever, I'm tired of this. Bye.

Yeah, I don't know either.

All the people in the lobby say the same stuff, so let's go follow Violet.

Down here are a Made-You-Look (which turns an enemy around) and another Saltwater Gun.

Slimy Slugs are the only enemies down here, and they're a joke.

They have 167HP each, but they also have the defense of a piece of paper, so even Boney will rip right through them.

They can be annoying, though. Fortunately they just targeted Boney this fight.

More can pop up though so might as well Love them to death.

Like so.

Not to mention that sticky junk from all those slugs. I'm gonna hop in the shower real quick, so just relax here.

Not much to do other than talk to a frog and try to leave.

I didn't say nothin', dude.

Boney whimpers.

Oh, it's just a dog.
There ain't no dogs here, dude.

Well, nothing to do but wait.

Some way or another I wound up with this fancy room. Anyways, go shower, you two. There's even a hot spring in there, if that's more your thing.

No thanks.

You're exhausted and dirty, ain't you? A shower'll freshen you right up.

No.

I know you wanna hurry and all, but c'mon, you guys reek. Just go take a shower!

No.

How about you, doggy?

OK, maybe we should...

-----

quote:

After showering, the three conversed at great length, almost as if filling in the three-year gap that had separated them.

They discussed the rescued monkey...

They discussed the Hummingbird Egg from Osohe Castle, and how it went missing...

They discussed the fact that one of the DCMC band members appears to be an amnesic Duster...

And they discussed the mysterious army that had radically transformed Tazmily Village...

As if assembling the jumbled pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, they told each other what they knew to put their thoughts together.

The coming battle will not be easy...

This, more than anything, they knew all too well.

"I want to be stronger..."

It was at around this time that Lucas truly began to have such feelings...

Next time, we finish Chapter 4.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mega64 posted:

I dunno if you care or not, but I'll tell you anyways. My big bro lives on the other side of this tunnel. People say he looks just like me. ...No idea what he's up to lately, though.

I saw this same sort of event happen earlier on the Tazmily end of the tunnel, when I was trying to go in there too early. I never knew that heroic guy had a little brother on the other side!

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
I've been playing this game again and I noticed something while using the fast-forward feature on the emulator...the Hot Springs song is just a slowed down Osohe Dance! Or the Osohe Dance is a sped up Hot Springs song, either way. I never noticed that the first time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that starting out this early, even the fanclub gear is better equipment than what we had.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Now that you mention it, this IS weird! No suspicious people allowed! That's our rule here! Scram! Get lost, you kid-like guy and you dog-like dude!

Yeah...those guys aren't getting promoted to CEO status anytime soon. I can practically envision Lucas's intelligence slowly slipping away from him as he watches the two goons attempt to wrack their rust-stained brains through the real-life problem.

Also:

Mega64 posted:

Nah! I say we pulverize 'em right here!

It's Clobberin' Time!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Club Titiboo always got to me. Workers talk about blowing their days' wages there night after night, and it's designed almost explicitly to siphon money back out of the workers' pockets at the end of each day. Hell, you even get a ticket to the club alongside your paycheck.

I never finished Mother 3 but I get the hunch that Fassad owns the club, and built it as part of his model. It's very effective as an economic sink, draining money from the town in exchange for entertainment and cheap consumer goods. Any money left over is spent on costlier consumer goods, likely manufactured in Fassad's sweatshops by Fassad's employees and/or golems. Everybody in Tazmily is a slave now; they're just too dazzled by the bright colors to realize it.

What's worst is it started with Hinawa. Fassad showed up when Tazmily was reeling from the death of one of its most-loved citizens; everyone was shaken, easily swayed into trying a simple distraction that might numb the sadness. That window of vulnerability was all Fassad needed to wipe out Tazmily's society -- based principally as it was on community -- and replace it with a society based principally on consumption.

People don't want to get along now. All they want to get is more.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Club Titiboo always got to me. Workers talk about blowing their days' wages there night after night, and it's designed almost explicitly to siphon money back out of the workers' pockets at the end of each day. Hell, you even get a ticket to the club alongside your paycheck.

I never finished Mother 3 but I get the hunch that Fassad owns the club, and built it as part of his model. It's very effective as an economic sink, draining money from the town in exchange for entertainment and cheap consumer goods. Any money left over is spent on costlier consumer goods, likely manufactured in Fassad's sweatshops by Fassad's employees and/or golems. Everybody in Tazmily is a slave now; they're just too dazzled by the bright colors to realize it.

What's worst is it started with Hinawa. Fassad showed up when Tazmily was reeling from the death of one of its most-loved citizens; everyone was shaken, easily swayed into trying a simple distraction that might numb the sadness. That window of vulnerability was all Fassad needed to wipe out Tazmily's society -- based principally as it was on community -- and replace it with a society based principally on consumption.

People don't want to get along now. All they want to get is more.

Yeah, Tazmily has turned into a pretty quintessential Company Town, where everyone is employed by the pigmasks and paid their unique "scrip" currency that isn't really worth much anywhere else, and all the workers spend their earnings in establishments run by the company. So the pigmasks get all this labor basically for free, since anything they pay comes right back to them anyways.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Haul sixteen tons of Claymen, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Thank you for describing capitalism. :ussr:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Another bit about how this game nails the little things: if you named Kumatora "Violet" when you first get the chance, her disguise's name in Club Titiboo will be "Kumatora."

Variant_Eris posted:

Other than the fact that Flint looks like Leder, this is great.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Thank you for describing capitalism. :ussr:
The game is doing that pretty well by itself.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Update probably in the next several days. This time it's the fault of Smash Bros.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

But we'll never find out what happened to the Hummingbird Egg until Duster regains his memory. At this rate, there's no tellin' when the pigs'll get their hands on it.

Maybe he'll remember something if he sees you two. There's guards outside. They're not exactly bad guys, but I don't wanna risk makin' things more complicated.

Climb up this ladder and go through the attic. You can get to Duster's room from there. It's not the most direct way of gettin' there, but you're less likely to get caught.

See you in a little bit!

So last time, we finally made it to Club Titiboo, where we caught up with an old friend and saw a rockin' show, or at least the tail end of one. But now we're back to our mission of finding Duster and the location of this mysterious Hummingbird Egg.

Man, Kumatora has some nice digs if she has a hot spring in her room. And is apparently chill enough about it to let anyone who wanders into her bathroom use it.

Anyway, let's go explore an attic.

Yes, the attic is indeed a dungeon.

(Mice are greedy and love to collect things. Would you like to buy some of mine?)

Unfortunately, we don't have the space for new stuff.

Fortunately, the Item Guy is right to the north, so we can store stuff we don't need like Saltwater Guns and the DCMC Pamphlet.

We also now have a map of the attic. There are a few different pathways that lead to items, but the blue squares show you how to get to Duster's room. Yeah, we have to take the long way around. I mean, it is a dungeon, after all.

Now that I have some free space (and after I go back to Kumatora's room frog to withdraw some cash), I buy a nice weapon upgrade for Lucas. If you have the spare cash, a Pencil Rocket isn't a bad investment, even though it's pretty expensive for an attack item, and you might want some Antidotes if you don't have any.

That's because these guys can inflict poison.

Fortunately, they also have horrible defense, so they're more a nuisance than a problem.

The Greedier Mouse is also more annoying than threatening, though it makes up for it by very often dropping a food item (50/30/10% chance of Peculiar Cheese/Big City Fries/Big City Burger). They can restore their HP through eating and can also steal your items.

Next up is the Elder Batty. Despite the intense music, these guys are also pretty trivial. Their big gimmick is that they can drain HP from you and restore it to themselves. Not very effective though when they only restore like 20HP at a time while Lucas and Boney tear through them like paper.

Also found a gift box with Bug Spray, so why not use it?

About halfway in, the difficulty steps up and you start fighting enemies like this unfortunate soul.

It hits decently hard and can let loose with an electric attack that hits the party for solid damage. Best to sweep the floor with it (because it needs it (it's a reference to the song the enemy's named after (hello))).

DIE

At level 17, Lucas picks up Defense Up. It does exactly what you'd expect it to do.

The final new enemy here is the Beaten Drum. This guy's gimmick is actually pretty clever.

It can change the music and thus the rhythms of the battle, making it trickier to land combo attacks.

And though I don't recall hearing this one, I assume this song is also part of its attacks:

It can also attack too, so best to further break it.

In the southeast corner of the attic are a couple of mice and some gifts.

(Wonned teh rabbit us ahtta sum mo' bees, izzat it? Eh, dat's calvin. De ol' pot ain't usin' de Bugs. But mum's de dicky.)

Squeeeeeak squeak. (Weh've been waitin' a bloody long 'arry Lime all pat wiv yew aht on yeh toblerone.)

(Wheh've ya been wivaht sennin' a dicky bird? Ya dihn't come by fo' New Yeah's or Crackah Night, so yeh Grandmum an' I 'have been all jack. So, wotcheh? Yeh mus' be bleedin' 'ank Marvin, eh? 'Eah's summadat Nut Bread fo' yeh.)

Squeak squeak squeeeeeak. (Why aincha show ya jem rahn' heah more?)

But wait, there's more!

(Jus' cos me an' de fridge live in dis pope don' mean we can let in jes aneh ol' bloke. We'ah plannin' on a couple uh right long nellies. We'ah watchin' aht fo' barney. We'ah watchin' aht fo' barney. Catch me drif', garden gate?)

The game does repeat that line twice. I don't know if that's intentional or not.

(Yeh, de dutch is spot on. An ice cream like me would go right radio if some jam roll fahn' aht we'ah artfuls. Dat Johnson lot free doors ovah wos taken fo' Fred Wests, an' now they'ah brown bread. So yeh need to watch aht fo' barney, too. Watch aht fo' barney. Yeh get me?)

There are three of these items, and they'll restore 50 HP and PP, plus revive dead allies. Very handy considering a boss is coming up soon.

Restores 20PP. Not as much as the Gelatin we had stolen from us, but it'll do in a pinch.

Alright, we're right at Lucky's room. The gift is a Magic Tart I didn't feel like backtracking to get.

But ever since the bass below showed up, I've been left to rot in this moldy-smelling attic.

I'm filled with so much frustration.

You're gonna be bawlin' your eyes out!

So this is the final boss of Chapter 4. It's a bass (but not the final bass!).

Number one priority is to kill the guitar and drum. Lucas should use PK Love and Boney should throw his strongest bomb (or a Pencil Rocket if you bought one earlier).

If left alive, they'll do a jam session resulting in four attacks. They hurt hard even when not critical.

Killing one isn't enough, though it'll slow the attacks a bit. You want both dead.

Of course, this is just the beginning of the real battle.

I go ahead and buff Lucas. For some reason, I stick to Lucas's physical attacks for this fight even though PK Love is stronger. Eh, whatever.

This is the most annoying and potentially dangerous of the Jealous Bass's moves. When your party consists of two people, having one asleep is very bad.

And having two asleep is scary. It's wise to keep a few healing items on Lucas just in case you have Boney asleep.

The Jealous Bass can also hit the party with an attack, as well as strong regular attacks. Definitely keep healed in case Hypnosis hits.

And fight music with music!

Like the other boss fights so far, it's a drawn-out slugfest but ends up being not too terribly difficult otherwise. It's nice when you actually use your items!

Try jumping down?

This is the point of no return, so make sure to say goodbye to those blimey mice before you jump down.

Enjoy the music, as it's quite similar to a piece from Earthbound.

Anyways, I just finished explaining everything to the band members.

We're now free to talk to the band members.

First up is Shimmy Zmizz, on piano.

Oh, man. What to do...?

Next is Baccio, on drums.

Whew.

Magic, on guitar.

We're discussing things right now.

OJ, on saxophone.

Tonda Gossa! So, you're the one trying to run off with Lucky?

And, finally, Lucky, on bass.

He's the one I was talking about just now, Duster. You two know each other.
Duster? It's true that I don't even remember my real name, but I've lived my life as Lucky for years now.
Okay. All right, Lucky. I hate to ask, but could you tell him everything you remember, too?
...Yeah, alright. I can definitely tell that something very important is taking place here...

I had no idea who I was, where I came from, or where I was going. But for some reason, I was clutching a strange egg with great care. I didn't know where I was going, yet I continued to walk desperately. All I knew was that the egg was really important for some reason. I knew I absolutely HAD to keep it safe... So I looked for a place to hide it. And then, after walking and walking, I buried the egg inside a big dirt clod in a valley, where I knew no one would ever find it. I still knoew where it is. I haven't forgotten. You go up a cliff near a giant waterfall and...

The egg we all worked so hard to protect is there! Let's go there right now!

If I am this "Duster" person, that means I'll have to leave the band... Right?

Right?! If it turns out I'm Duster, what happens to the DCMC? But if I continue to live as Lucky, then what was that egg thing all about? What should I do?! I just can't decide...

Yeah. If destiny decides it, I'll say goodbye to you with a smile on my face.

Destiny, huh... Yeah, let's ask destiny. We have a way... The same thing we've always done whenever we weren't sure what to do.

Yup. This Lucas fellow will play Stone-Sheet-Clippers with us. If he beats all five of us in a row, you'll go. But if he loses even once, you'll stay in the DCMC and keep on playing the bass. How's that sound?
Five in row, huh... I'm cool with that. You, there. You're okay with that, right?
Okay, well, we're ready to begin when you are. You can start with any one of us.

So the DCMC members will give you clues as to how they play when you talk to them.

Whenever me, Magic, and Baccio play Stone-Sheet-Clippers, we always end in a tie.

Other than OJ, who must play last, you can challenge the other four in any order. Though it is wise to talk to all of them before accepting a challenge (you're given a yes/no prompt before playing them).

I always wind up tying whenever I play Stone-Sheet-Clippers with Shimmy.

Magic does have a great line if you reject playing him.

For the most part, everyone always does a specific first move when playing this game. That explains why Baccio loses to Magic.

Shimmy almost always starts with stone. It's up to you to believe that or not, though.

I seem to recall that whenever me, Magic, and our band leader'd play Stone-Sheet-Clippers, we'd always wind up in a tie.

And with that, we can work out how to win. Well, we could if we knew how to play Stone-Sheet-Clippers. Kinda dumb they don't tell you how to actually play, but I looked it up on GameFAQs, and apparently Stone beats Clippers, Sheet beats Stone, and Clippers beats Sheet, with two of the same thing resulting in a tie. So knowing all that...

* Shimmy's half-right, in that everyone will always play the same thing regardless of how many rounds they go on.

* Shimmy plays Stone, so we need to play Sheet on him, as the sheet wraps around the stone and protects it from the cold.

* Magic always ties Shimmy, which means Magic also always plays Stone. We must again wrap his stone with our sheet.

* Baccio always loses to Magic, which means Baccio must always choose Clippers, which is sharpened by the stone. We must also sharpen his Clippers with our Stone.

* OJ, Baccio, and Magic always tie when playing three-way Stone-Sheet-Clippers. GameFAQs says you can tie in three-way competitions if each person plays a different thing. Thus, with Baccio's Clippers and Magic's Stone, that means OJ plays Sheet. We must multiply his Sheet with our own Clippers.

* Likewise, OJ, Magic, and Lucky always tie in three-way Stone-Sheet-Clippers. This places Lucky in the Baccio role, which means he also plays Clippers, so we must bash his head with our Stone over and over until he regains his memory.

Shimmy plays Stone, so...we stab his Stone with our Clippers?

Oh, right! Wrap the Sheet around the Stone! Glad that one didn't count!

One down, four to go!

Stone means...Clippers!

It's against the rules to go after like that. Stoooone, sheeeet, clippers!

Baccio plays Clippers, so I need to wrap my Sheet around them!

Come on, now! Destiny is riding on this! Let's go at the same time! Stoooone, sheeeet, clippers!

New PSI awakened within Lucas during the intense battle of wills in this epic Stone-Sheet-Clippers game (or maybe from smashing a baseball bat into a bass guitar repeatedly) and learns Lifeup Beta, which for 9PP restores 120-140HP. Handy!

Stoooone, sheeeet, clippers!

Clippers? Gotta go Sheet!

Sorry. Do-over. Stoooone, sheeeet, clippers!

If I win this, Lucky will stay in the DCMC. If you win, Lucky will go with you. Lucky... You cool with that?
I wanna trust in destiny. If it's my destiny to go, then I'm sure he'll win. And if it's not my destiny, he'll lose and I'll stay here. ...It's as simple as that.

Okay, then. Lucas. Do "clippers". I'm going to do "sheet". Tonda Gossa! Alright, here we go! Stoooone, sheeeeeeeeeeeet, clippers!

Oh, right, I gotta tear through his Sheet with a Stone!

Oh, I'm so happy!

Keep it down, will ya?! Save your guys' hootin' and hollerin' for the stage!

I forgot what we just did, so let's do a do-over. Stoooone, sheeeet, clippers!

Oh, right, you told me to do Clippers!

I guess Lucky probably is this Duster guy, after all.

Which means I have no reason to stay here anymore, either.

Thanks for everything, guys. Take care, now!

I'm gonna miss you, man.

I'm sure we will.
Don't go forgetting the time you spent with us now. You dig?
...Lucky.

Okay! Let's go!

And with that, Duster joins our party!

Let's go!

And Kumatora joins as well! We finally have a full party of four!

Kumatora and Duster both come with the items they had at the end of Chapter 2 (minus any items Kumatora may have used in the Chapter 3 boss).

And Kumatora's PSI, for reference.

What is it?
...There's someone on the stage.

quote:

Bon voyage, amigo

Oh, guy in the sky, please grant a gift to our friend who's about to set out...

How much time we wasted laughing together...

But, guy in the sky, oh, how we loved that wasted time and those helpless smiles...

Bon voyage

Bon voyage, amigo

Sorry to keep you waiting. Okay, let's go.

END CHAPTER 4

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Right, just so nobody else has to ask... Would someone please translate the dialogue of those mice from English English into regular English? Because I understood maybe half of that. :psyduck:

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Right, just so nobody else has to ask... Would someone please translate the dialogue of those mice from English English into regular English? Because I understood maybe half of that. :psyduck:

It's cockney rhyming slang. You can kinda get it if you know what words are being rhymed with.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I wonder what they said in the Japanese dialogue. Maybe some crazy obscure rural dialect that's nearly incomprehensible to someone in Tokyo?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

stone sheet clippers is obviously just rock paper scissors

i dunno, feels weird to complain they didn't explain rock paper scissors

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Stone-Sheet-Clippers probably meant something else in Japanese than Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oi, Alfie, it's been donkeys (donkeys ears - years), China (China plate - mate). Wonned teh rabbit (rabbit and pork - talk) us ahtta sum mo' bees (bees and honey - money), izzat it? Eh, dat's calvin (Calvin Klein - fine). De ol' pot (pot and pan - old man) ain't usin' de Bugs (Bugs Bunny - money). But mum's de dicky (dicky bird - word).

"Hey, Alfie, it's been years mate. Wanted to talk us out of some more money, is that it? Ah, that's fine. The old man ain't using the money. But mum's the word.

Weh've been waitin' a bloody long 'arry Lime (Harry Lime - time) all pat (guessing Pat Malone - alone) wiv yew aht on yeh toblerone.

We've been waitin' a bloody long time all alone with you out on your own.

Wheh've ya been wivaht sennin' a dicky bird? Ya dihn't come by fo' New Yeah's or Crackah Night, so yeh Grandmum an' I 'have been all jack (Jack Jones - alone). So, wotcheh? Yeh mus' be bleedin' 'ank Marvin (Hank Marvin - starvin'), eh? 'Eah's summadat Nut Bread fo' yeh.

Where've you been without sending a word? You didn't come by for New Year's or ???, so your grandma and I have been all alone. So, how are you? You must be bleedin' starving, eh? Here's some of that nut bread for you.

Why aincha show ya jem rahn' heah more?

Why don't you show your face around here more?

Jus' cos me an' de fridge (fridge freezer - geezer) live in dis pope (pope in rome - home) don' mean we can let in jes aneh ol' bloke. We'ah plannin' on a couple uh right long (long and flexy - sexy) nellies (???). We'ah watchin' aht fo' barney (Barney Rubble - trouble). We'ah watchin' aht fo' barney. Catch me drif', garden gate (mate)?

Just because me and the geezer live in this home doesn't mean we can let in just anyone. We're planning on a couple of really sexy ??? (don't think this is right). We're watching out for trouble. We're watching out for trouble. Catch my drift, mate?

Yeh, de dutch (duchess of fife - wife) is spot on. An ice cream (ice cream freezer - geezer) like me would go right radio (radio rental - mental) if some jam roll (Jam roll - arsehole) fahn' aht we'ah artfuls (artful dodger - lodger). Dat Johnson lot free doors ovah wos taken fo' Fred Wests (Fred West - vest), an' now they'ah brown bread (brown bread - dead). So yeh need to watch aht fo' barney, too. Watch aht fo' barney. Yeh get me?

Yeah, the wife's spot on. A geezer like me would go mental if some arsehole found out we're lodgers. That Johnson lot three doors over was mistaken for vests, and now they're dead. So you need to watch out for trouble too. Watch out for trouble. You get me?

So in conclusion I have no loving idea what's going on, but going through a dictionary to translate all that made me realise just how much Cockney slang is still evolving and how heavily it's influenced by popular culture.

E: missed one

Dabir fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 25, 2014

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

That's awesome!

Now, for the other question: What the heck is "Tonda Gossa"?

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
Gotta admit, first time i ran into those bats, I had a minor freak out because i thought i had run into a midboss.

Nope! Just disproportionately intense music.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

I wonder what they said in the Japanese dialogue. Maybe some crazy obscure rural dialect that's nearly incomprehensible to someone in Tokyo?
Looks like one of the Hichiku dialects (specifically Sasebo dialect?) from western Kyushuu, so: yes, very much so.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Just like Kumatora/Violet, if you named him "Lucky" in Chapter 1, his DCMC stage name will be "Duster" here.

MachuPikacchu posted:

That's awesome!

Now, for the other question: What the heck is "Tonda Gossa"?
It's the greeting for DCMC fans, or haven't you heard?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I honestly hope you being confused by loving rock paper scissors was a joke.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Waffleman_ posted:

Considering he deliberately picked the wrong answers to show them off I'd say it was a pretty obvious one.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Cake Attack posted:

stone sheet clippers is obviously just rock paper scissors

i dunno, feels weird to complain they didn't explain rock paper scissors

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel a breeze.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Y-Hat posted:

Just like Kumatora/Violet, if you named him "Lucky" in Chapter 1, his DCMC stage name will be "Duster" here.

It's the greeting for DCMC fans, or haven't you heard?

It's actually Gorgeous in Duster's case.

Interestingly enough, there's actually a voice clip that says stone, sheet, clippers for the final round. I think the translation team actually recorded that one, since I think it was just Japanese in the original.

Naerylan
Feb 17, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

Yes, this is highly weird. I just read over the original dialogue again and I've decided that the translator deserves like, all the medals for even making it through that. If you read the lines and got a vague sense that the geezer mice have mistaken you for their long lost (grandson? I dunno) named Takashi [Alfie] and are throwing presents at you in an attempt to convince you to pop in more often, and then something even more vague about how dangerous it is living in the attic and their neighbor got iced for [reasons?]... that's about all I can get out of the Japanese as well.

My somewhat pitiful take on the first paragraph:

◆チューチュチュチュ?
 (おりょー。 たかっしゃんな かえって きんしゃったとね?
 また こづかいば ねだりに きたとじゃろーか? よかよか。
 ばーちゃんの もっとったっちゃ つかいみちの なかけん。
 じーちゃんにゃー ないしょに しとかんば でけんよ)
Hey! Takashi's back? Ya came to bum some more allowance off us, eh? Sure, sure.
Granny don't have no use for it anyway. Keep it a secret from gramps, willya?

The dialect is so crazy you have to basically read it out loud at different speeds until you find the part that sounds like actual standard Japanese.
Which is almost exactly the same thing we're forced to do in the Cockney edition, so translation successful :toot:

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Fighting the Jealous Bass sucks. It wouldn't be so bad if Boney were a bit more useful, but such is life. This is far from my least favorite boss fight, though - that one is a ways off, and took me ten or eleven tries...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Considering he deliberately picked the wrong answers to show them off I'd say it was a pretty obvious one.

i was so ready to drop a sick burn on mega64 i may have neglected to read the rest of the update

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The concert was pretty great, the spritework and soundtrack for this game is amazing, especially considering that it's on a GBA. Also Duster rocks that bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I was sad there wasn't a "drop the bass" joke but your great way to deal with stone - sheet - clippers made up for it.

• Locked thread