Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

JT Jag posted:

Everyone's ok. It's like a miracle.

Well except for the dead. They aren't someone anymore. Leder loves being able to talk to people again though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That final battle was in one word amazing, I couldn't believe Claus was committing suicide. :stare: And then he stayed dead. Truly excellent. :golfclap: The emotional impact is probably even bigger when you're playing youself, but having siblings and being a sucker for these types of showdowns this definitely touched me.

Not that fond the black screens epilogue though, it feels cheap after all the wondrous sprites we've seen.

Nintendo should make more games in the Mother series...or create a different series with some influences from these games.

Thank you for the excellent LP Mega, I really enjoyed reading it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The end of this fuckin game :qq:

I remember I finished it at like 2 in the morning a couple years ago. I was the only person discernibly awake in my apartment building. I just sat there and had a good cry in the middle of the night. Nobody outside of this thread understands me :smith:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

The ending felt a little bit weird to me. Before the blank screen sequence with everyone addressing Goons, I got the impression that the final battle had broken Lucas and when he finally awakened the dragon his heart imparted something empty and nihilistic to it, causing Nowhere Island to be obliterated.

The blank screen sequence seemed ambiguous about that.

My take on it was that lucas was still pure of heart after all that. The dragon has the powers of creation and destruction, often considered two sides of the same coin. The dragon was going to destory the island regardless of who pulled the needle, because island was only there because it was on the sleeping dragon. But afterwards the dragon remade everyone on the island and gave them a new world to live in peace. If claus had pulled the needles then everyone would stay dead.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 18, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

That whole black screen scene was, if I recall correctly, a late addition. Itoi wanted to just end the game after the dragon awakens and everything looks like it's going to poo poo, but later felt it was maybe too open to interpretation and threw that scene in there which is only barely less confusing.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Blackheart posted:

That whole black screen scene was, if I recall correctly, a late addition. Itoi wanted to just end the game after the dragon awakens and everything looks like it's going to poo poo, but later felt it was maybe too open to interpretation and threw that scene in there which is only barely less confusing.

One other thing that doesn't really come across unless you're playing it is, it just sits on that "END?" screen until you start frantically pushing buttons thinking "what the gently caress, that can't be it!" Then the "END?" text starts moving around as if you were walking around that screen on a dark map. It even has the sound of your footsteps. All the epilogue dialogue pops up every so often as you're walking around, as if you were just bumping into people.

In Earthbound, the player and their inputted name make an appearance and that seems to be a deliberate callback here. It's heavily implied that you, the player, are the Dark Dragon they've been referring to, as it's your concern for these people and their story instead of just turning the game off that opens up this epilogue. (also the first request to input your name is done back when Flint is praying at the Dark Dragon shrine. Did you guys dutifully remember to forget about that?)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm not sure if it would cross the line of :filez:, but if not, could you please compile all of the tindeck links in one post? All of the download links to the HQ soundtrack rip on starmen.net are dead.

E: I'm a dumbass, the download option option is probably disabled for exactly that reason. :downs:
Go ahead and probate me.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 18, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The problem is I have around 300 Tindeck links, plus there's a few tracks in the thing I forgot to upload. Not worth clogging the page with all those Tindeck links, though I guess there's no need to anyway.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'm glad everyone loved this one, especially since I feel this is one of the best LP's I've done yet. Taking a semi-break for now by doing something a bit lighter and goofier while I figure out what to LP next, and to get back to doing other stuff like binge-watching TV shows or catching up on my gaming backlog. You know, the important things in life.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Thanks for doing this thread, Mega. It was a great trip down memory lane for a game that touched me more strongly than I expected (and I'm a cynical only child.)

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
Whenever someone goes into this game fresh with no spoilers, I tell them that games like this are best played when you name the characters after your own family. I might be a terrible person, but I think that's the best way to get the most impact out of the game.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Darth TNT posted:

Nintendo should make more games in the Mother series...or create a different series with some influences from these games.

More games should be made by artists and not focus grouped design teams. Itoi made three absolutely beautiful games with a lot to say, and a bass fishing game starring himself. That's a real artist. There really aren't a lot of people working in games who have near-total creative control over a work as a personal vision and also have something pertinent to say about humanity. It's pretty much him, Kojima, and, uh, well, I know there are others, I just can't think of them right now.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Under the vegetable posted:

More games should be made by artists and not focus grouped design teams. Itoi made three absolutely beautiful games with a lot to say, and a bass fishing game starring himself. That's a real artist. There really aren't a lot of people working in games who have near-total creative control over a work as a personal vision and also have something pertinent to say about humanity. It's pretty much him, Kojima, and, uh, well, I know there are others, I just can't think of them right now.

Swery comes to mind, if just a tiny bit.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
If a normal person gets into the perfectly safe capsule, would the capsule keep him safe from the ravages of time, or would he still age?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Fudge Handsome posted:

Whenever someone goes into this game fresh with no spoilers, I tell them that games like this are best played when you name the characters after your own family. I might be a terrible person, but I think that's the best way to get the most impact out of the game.

You're not a horrible person, I believe Itoi himself stated in an interview that he intended the same thing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Under the vegetable posted:

Taro Yoko, as evidenced by Drakengard and Nier.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.

Darth TNT posted:

If a normal person gets into the perfectly safe capsule, would the capsule keep him safe from the ravages of time, or would he still age?

I think Porky is unique in that while he does age, he can't die, and is now doomed to simply just... Exist. Forever.

I don't think the Absolutely Safe Capsule makes normal people immortal, though.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

W.T. Fits posted:

Taro Yoko, as evidenced by Drakengard and Nier.

Taro Yoko is not an artist, Taro Yoko is a Sith Lord. And Hideo Kojima is pretty much taking the piss, which I respect in anyone in a position of power.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Porky can probably die from injury, and he ages but can't die from age. Which is why he's an old old man.
With the mind of a child. Time travel shenanigans and working with Gigyas in the previous game.

Not to mention that Shigesato Itoi said that when the world ceases to exist in 5.5 billion years, Porky will still be in the capsule.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 19, 2015

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
And here I thought the ending wouldn't affect me, I mean I played the game before and this is a screenshot LP.. I mean come on, it's a bunch of sprites on a comedy forum. (nope :smith: )

Anyway this was a great LP, thanks Mega!

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 19, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DetectiveDorian posted:

I think Porky is unique in that while he does age, he can't die, and is now doomed to simply just... Exist. Forever.

I don't think the Absolutely Safe Capsule makes normal people immortal, though.

If you could die of old age in the capsule, then it wouldn't be absolutely safe, would it?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Huh, so THAT'S how the game ends. I got stopped at the end of chapter 7 last time I played the game, so despite having generally been spoiled I was unclear on the specifics. Thanks for the LP, Mega64!

I'm thoroughly less bothered by the final battle and its aftermath than I am the Absolutely Safe Capsule and its implications, though, like others here. Porky's an rear end in a top hat but I absolutely do not want to think about the moment he realizes just what he's done to himself. :cry:

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Porky's an rear end in a top hat but I absolutely do not want to think about the moment he realizes just what he's done to himself. :cry:

Well, he's Porky. He very well may not.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Dabir posted:

If you could die of old age in the capsule, then it wouldn't be absolutely safe, would it?
It's absolutely safe from everything on the outside.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dabir posted:

Is aging considered a danger?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Is aging considered a danger?

I'd assume anything that can cause death would be, in Porky's mind.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Porky's dialogue in the final actual battle with him seems to indicate that while he may not have realised he couldn't get out, he does know he'll be the only one alive after the heat death of the universe and is so egotistical that that's ideal for him. "Until everyone who doesn't like me is gone", &c.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

AlphaKretin posted:

Porky's dialogue in the final actual battle with him seems to indicate that while he may not have realised he couldn't get out, he does know he'll be the only one alive after the heat death of the universe and is so egotistical that that's ideal for him. "Until everyone who doesn't like me is gone", &c.

I agree, I think Porky's going to be actually quite happy to stay in the capsule for a good long time. But once everything IS gone... that's when the boredom will set in. He's already got a problem with getting bored now.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

I agree, I think Porky's going to be actually quite happy to stay in the capsule for a good long time. But once everything IS gone... that's when the boredom will set in. He's already got a problem with getting bored now.

I reckon he'd eventually end up like Kars in part 2 and Magenta in part 7 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Stuck in a place with nothing and no-one to talk to, with no way of escape, and would eventually stop thinking.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hoss Corncave posted:

I reckon he'd eventually end up like Kars in part 2 and Magenta in part 7 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Stuck in a place with nothing and no-one to talk to, with no way of escape, and would eventually stop thinking.

Haha, I was actually just thinking of that bit with Kars when I was writing that, but wasn't sure how many JoJo fans were around in this thread to appreciate the reference.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

Haha, I was actually just thinking of that bit with Kars when I was writing that, but wasn't sure how many JoJo fans were around in this thread to appreciate the reference.

You'd think the same would happen to Porky though. In Kars' case, he's immortal and essentially a god amongst humans, but he's been sent into space with no way of returning, so over time he drifts through space with nothing to occupy the years. With Magenta, his power keeps him alive but he can't move while it's active, and he's at the bottom of a river so if he does release it, he's going to drown. He keeps it active hoping that his ally will come back to save him (who never does), and then also just stops thinking.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

There's jojo fans loving everywhere.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
My apologies for dragging this back up out of nowhere, but on the off chance people missed the news elsewhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttKkiEKqwuk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This Let's Play is now in the Let's Play Archive.

Thanks again to everyone for following along!

• Locked thread