Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
A massive amount of chopped onions just appeared in my living room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Make it Goons. Worked for Leave's LP and it'll work for this one.

Edit: whoops, used his real name.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 24, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

DialTheDude posted:

So, why did the game feel the need to repeat Hinawa's message twice within an hour (reasonably)? I never quite got why the game focused a bit too much attention to it. Probably a bit of a nitpick, but I remember how slowly the game scrolls the letter for the player. The game could have easily showed Hinawa releasing the messenger bird sans the text dump and had the player find out what it said when Flint received it.

EDIT: Answered your question, but I felt it was too spoiler-y so I'll refrain until after Chapter 1 is over.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I remember naming Hinawa after my mom, thinking Hinawa didn't match with the rest of the family very well. My mom who had already died. Needless to say I bawled right around here.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 11, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Dooky Dingo posted:

I miss LeaveMyWife. :cry:

Well hopefully he'll be back in January.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This chapter fills me with such rage, to the point that when it finished I used a save state so I could skip it in future playthroughs.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

W.T. Fits posted:

I haven't finished the game yet (last I remember I stopped playing somewhere in Chapter 6, I think), so I only played through this chapter once. I hated it for one reason that had nothing to do with the gameplay.

Simply put, I don't think I've ever hated any character in a JRPG as much as I hated Fassad by the end of this chapter. :argh:

Exactly.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Fister Roboto posted:

If you're actually feeling rage building up over a fictional event then you really need to go talk to someone.

So you've never read a book where a character did something so bad you were genuinely pissed?

You've never been upset over a character dying in a TV show?

Or been happy when a character in a movie accomplishes their goal?

Man, I feel really bad for you.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Fister Roboto posted:

Genuinely pissed? As in, feeling exactly the same as if that had happened in real life? No, I've never felt that way while reading a fictional book.

Do you remember where you were when you lost your soul? Maybe you should check the lost and found there.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I didn't get them last time I played so I didn't notice, but do they look like the Hi-Jump Boots from Metroid and Super Metroid to anyone else?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh cool, I was wondering why you didn't mention the Mystical Gloves either.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

StrangeAeon posted:

But... what actually caused the End of the World? Human folly? Did Ness and co. fail to stop Gigyas? Is this an alternate timeline where they failed? Or was it that prick Pokey again?

Porky going to different times and worlds seems to indicate that this world could very well be separate from Earth. And that's part of the point, I think. You don't really need to know about the rest of the world, everything relevant to the mythology is right here. If Porky hadn't come by (well first of all, it would have been a pretty boring game), then you wouldn't need to know about the needles and thus the rest of the world.

Also, I think it's pretty neat that the village is still young. Like, for all we know this happened the week before the prologue.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This is honestly one of my favorite final dungeons of all time. It's completely absurd, while still managing to keep you on edge. Very well designed.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Hirayuki posted:

Don't forget the Ultimate Chimera: exactly the opposite of a hilarious surprise. :gonk:

But at least you're in the right spot for that surprise! :v:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

RareAcumen posted:

I feel like I've seen that same exact scenario played out at least ten times but for the life of me I can't recall any one of them specifically. Glad I can help shed some light on that though!

It does beg the question of what happened to turn Locria so extremely evil in the first place though.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that he saw the Pigmask takeover and them pulling the Needles as inevitable, and he wasn't ready to disappear. So he did what he had to do to make sure his Needle was the last pulled.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Even though it is, as you mentioned, not exactly a startling revelation about Claus, the game does an incredible job at making this last part seem a lot more sober. Until now, there's been bright colors, people, houses, machines, and all sorts of life. Here it's dark and barren. The only life down here is the weird monsters. And it seems to stretch on forever. For a series more famous for it's offbeat sense of humor, Mother games sure do know how to make it heavy and dark. poo poo's been getting more and more real all through this last chapter, but there's never been more on the line than in this last stretch.

Man, why isn't there another Mother?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I remember staring at my computer in shock at the ending. I was so certain that we were gonna save Claus with the power of love or fraternity or something like that. I was totally devastated.

Excellent, EXCELLENT job at this game Mega. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Y-Hat posted:

To me, that always stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the ending lines. Someone's smell seems like a random thing to remember about someone.

Smell is actually the sense most closely tied to memory :eng101:

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 14, 2015

• Locked thread