Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pixeltendo posted:

I don't know whats weirder, the mole crickets that talk and everybody is ok with, or the frogs that display deep philosophical thinking.
My money's on the tame dinosaurs that like playing rough with human children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

a cat on an apple posted:

I love how, as soon as things got a bit violent, Tessie runs to hold Lucas and Claus. That is an incredible touch.
And not just hold them--physically shield them from the violence, from seeing their father out of his mind. And it looks like she's closing her eyes, too, like you might in that situation, maybe telling the kids "It's okay, shh, close your eyes."

This is a fantastic, heartbreaking game. I played the Japanese version a few years back, and I can still make myself tear up, if not out-and-out cry, thinking of (something very near) the end.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Seravadon posted:

Also since this is a fan made game it only makes sense that there is a fan made guide.
Fan-translated, you mean, not fan-made. (The guide is excellent.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

fixelbrumpf posted:

Maybe Shigesato Itoi got the idea to name them after the modes because there are seven of them, I'm honestly not sure.
Better than naming them after dwarfs or the colors of the rainbow, anyway.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hearing the music again and realizing thematic ties between two familiar tunes (in this case, Mr. Batty Twist and another song, and Mind of a Thief and something else) is putting me even closer to picking this up again. I love themes in game soundtracks, not to mention excellent soundtracks in general.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

For a game with so much attention to detail (love the Spineless Lobsters running from you if you stare them down), I'm surprised the Hypno-Pendulum works on enemies facing away from you/it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Salsa's name in Japanese is "Sarusa," "saru" meaning "monkey". :3: You can also interpret it as a casual "He's a monkey" (saru sa).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fassad is shown talking on the phone (technically a PHS, I understand) a couple of times in this update. Do we hear his phone ring, by any chance? I've forgotten when that happens.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

His name in Japanese is "Yokuba," which is three-fourths of the word for "greedy".

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

RaspberryCommie posted:

Reminds me of that one person who posted a review on Tumblr of the translation who got all offended and bent out of shape because Tomato gave the bad guy an Arab name. Calling racism and stuff like that without even slightly looking into the origin of the name or what it meant.

It was just badguy with Arab name = racism.

Origins of the name aside, the bad guy is wearing (stereo?)typical Middle Eastern dress.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mega64 posted:

The music here is a broadcast radio version of the Pigmask theme, but I could not find it in the song pack I downloaded. If anyone has the proper name for it, I'll find it and edit it in later.
I think it could be "Pork Airship (Looping)" (which doesn't actually loop). There's also "Pigmask Anthem of Lethargy," but it seems that's only one second (three notes) long.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

I wonder what they said in the Japanese dialogue. Maybe some crazy obscure rural dialect that's nearly incomprehensible to someone in Tokyo?
Looks like one of the Hichiku dialects (specifically Sasebo dialect?) from western Kyushuu, so: yes, very much so.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Alopex posted:

Eh, Japan has Rock-Paper-Scissors too. It's called Janken, but it's the exact same game with the exact same gestures. Given that it's a variation in the english translation it's probably not the exact same as Janken in the original.
It's called Jankesu here, for whatever reason, which is why the translator went with a slight variation, too.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Xander77 posted:

This is a take on an Earthbound song, isn't it?
It's reminiscent of the snowy music in Winters, but it also shares a few notes of a leitmotif with the Hotel Yado theme (and others, too, knowing this game).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mega64 posted:

It almost seems like it could take your place for you...
The translation was handled interestingly here (or incorrectly, depending on your POV). Because of the way Japanese grammar works, the original says something more like "Could it take your place [in battle]...? Doesn't look that way."

Mega64 posted:

I know this isn't the best time to chat, but I have some good news for me and bad news for you. The good news for me...is that although we haven't known each other long, I'm not a major character in the story, thanks to you.
Oops! He says he's now a major character, thanks to you.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

You are indeed wrong. PK Thunder doesn't do anything to regular shields and counters, but it bypasses PSI shields and counters entirely. This will come in handy later.
Is it still hit or miss?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

curiousCat posted:

At least that one is behind spoiler tags.
From the OP:

Mega64 posted:

:siren: NO SPOILERS WHATSOEVER. NO TAGS, NOTHING. :siren:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The sound effect that plays when the Ultimate Chimera spots you makes my blood run cold. I made it the new-mail notification on my phone and I still feel a little frisson of unease with every E-mail. :ohdear: It's similar to the monster-spotted-you sound in DQ9, which raised my eyebrows through association the first few times I heard it. The stalking-Pigmasks track is also terrifying as poo poo when you encounter it in-game.

One of the first LPs I ever watched was an in-progress playthrough of Mother 3 that included a few videos. Seeing the player open a door to reveal the Ultimate Chimera laying in wait was a real thrill.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mega64 posted:

First, let's check this area out. We can now get rid of these lotus roots in a most gruesome way.
:stonk:

I don't think I ever noticed that before.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

This one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080_%28skateboarding_trick%29

What was the enemy's name in the original?
"Ten-Yeti"! :haw: That's "ten ieti" versus "ten eitii".

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I love how Boney whines and otherwise acts like a real dog when we decide to eat the mushrooms, bathe in sludge, and blithely chat up enemies. This segment was perfectly unsettling for me on my playthrough, and I understand Itoi actually toned down Tanetane Island after he found his first round of temporary dialogue "so unpleasant [he] couldn't stand to look at it."

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Between Negative Man and the Mystery Metal Monkey (a nod to the DQ series's Metal Slime et al.), they do play on your expectations a bit and keep things interesting in this little section.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Lysidas posted:

This was a hilarious surprise in this area, and I was waiting for you to show this in the LP.

"Oh, the signs come to life, very funn-- WHAT THE gently caress WHY DOES IT KNOW STARSTORM"
Don't forget the Ultimate Chimera: exactly the opposite of a hilarious surprise. :gonk:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

But at least you're in the right spot for that surprise! :v:
In the game, yeah!

Also, that mouse made me feel bad for the mouse, not Fassad/Locria. Poor thing.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I love that Porky's Porkies theme in so many ways. It's a chiptune in a soundtrack that's developed well past that stage of electronic music; it features at least two, possibly three leitmotifs; and it's catchy as all hell. :allears: I believe I read that a lot of work went into getting all those old-school waveforms sound just right. I made it my default ringtone ages ago and have the full song on my phone; whenever it comes on during a music shuffle, I turn it up.

Also, it inspired this.

On a bleaker note, Flint's few lines to Lucas after learning the Masked Man's identity just about broke my heart in two. This is probably where the tears really started for me.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Xander77 posted:

quote:

Even what's outside of the Absolutely Safe Capsule is absolutely safe.

Even *when*? *If*?
Even what's outside of the Absolutely Safe Capsule is absolutely safe from what's inside the Absolutely Safe Capsule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

dancingbears posted:

quote:

Lucas remembers Claus's smell.
There it is. This is the line that always, always makes me cry. I hope you can remember that smell, Lucas. Hold on to it. :qq:
Same for me. I remember it years later from time to time out of pretty much nowhere and tear up every drat time. :( Sometimes my grandparents would babysit me at their house when I was a kid, and to this day, thirty years later, I still remember how my mom smelled when my parents came by to pick me up and I hugged her hello. (She probably smells similar today, but I'm too tall now to make that kind of nose contact.)

Other heavy hitters included "Lucas wanted to cry" and "The Masked Man removed his mask. His face looked just like Lucas's." As a contented only child, I'm surprised that it's the sibling stuff that affected me the most. Itoi's amazing.

Thanks again for a wonderful playthrough of this magical game!

• Locked thread