Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

God, that fills me with dread every single time. Like knowing that things are going to go wrong and there's nothing you can do.

Also, thanks for having your screenshots be so optimised! Due to stupid fuckers using up all the Internet in my new place, I'm on barely-more-than-dial-up, yet almost every screenshot and GIF loaded completely, quite quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Mega64 posted:

(only played through this game once)

Don't forget to talk to everyone each time you return to town through the game, if you aren't aware. I'll talk more about it when we get there.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
No, I think you had the name right to begin with.

Or it's Goons. Even though it's barely ever (never? Can't quite remember) brought up again, I'd rather have a relatively normal answer.

Now, I haven't played beyond the first part of Earthbound (couldn't get past the arcade, it seemed like the game wanted me to grind and I didn't, and I came to it after playing this, so the lack of a combo system was bugging me, so I left it; gonna go back to it now that it's actually on VC, though), but I don't know what people talk about when they say this game isn't as charming as it, or what-have-you. The humour is rooted a lot in the game being, whether intentionally or not, incredibly dry with you.

Fister Roboto posted:

I really don't know if it's the actual intent of the game, but the people of Tazmily are all horrible unhelpful jerks who deserve to lose their homes.

We'll cover this later in more detail, but for now, I'll say that the people of Tazmily Village are incredibly, unabashedly, genuine. Genuine and honest. They have no need to hide their personality and what they feel. We don't get much of a look at the village because we're on high alert and going to the fire right now, but at the start of the next chapter we'll be seeing how life normally goes in the village.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Fister Roboto posted:

I've played the game before.

I thought that might be the case a few seconds after I posted, but it's worth reading for anyone who hasn't. I think their characterisation was intentional, but I don't think I'd say "worthless jerks".

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
This game is heart-breaking. Or should that be heart-piercing?

Worse still, in my opinion, is that, as much of a gut punch with a burning-hot piece of wood as this is, everything that happens to the village from this point on is even sadder.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Yapping Eevee posted:

Oh, and are monster entries a thing in Mother 3?

They are; and if I recall correctly, Mega should be picking up the item that will let him view them in…two or three updates, I'd say.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
There's only really one fight where the combos are actually really hard to pull off because of constantly changing time signature, and that's because that's literally the whole point of the enemies you're fighting there. It's not hard to listen to a piece of music at the start of a battle to get a feel for the rhythm, even with some bars tripping you up. Getting a feel for building combos with each enemy type isn't any different than developing strategies for different enemies in other RPGs.

And I think the combos are great; mastering them made the game and optional fights a lot more manageable and, if I recall a VLP of this that some guys tried to post here last year, they kind of are necessary. They never figured out that the combos were tied to the beat, only hit enemies once per turn, and as a result, got to a point where they assumed that the game wanted them to grind enough levels to be able to properly deal with enemies.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

evilspacehopper posted:

That made me laugh too much not to use it.

Her name is Hinawa, by the way.

quote:

I like chapter 2, it's a good change of pace after all that happened in the first chapter. That's what I meant when I said the game doesn't dwell on the death for too long, I mean it's still there but it's not as important to us now that we're playing as Duster who isn't directly involved.

The thing about Hinawa's death is that it's meant to be more of a gut punch to set things in motion and underscore the fact that the world is changing, and that all sorts of things that we as players and the more aware characters in the story aren't going to want to deal with are on the horizon.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
The money is really the first glimpse of the outside influences actually changing the townsfolk. Everyone's been happy and pleasant towards each other up until now, but even the presence of money, despite it being effectively worthless to them, brings forth selfishness, as if it's an inherent part of being human, and no one can really escape it. I want to say more, but it'll probably have to wait until…the start of chapter four, I guess.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Glazius posted:

Well, at least Flint is calm enough to talk other people down now. That's a plus.

"Look guys, let's not resort to violence and aggression. That won't help anything. …But if you are going to resort to violence and aggression, take this drago fang."

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I like how none of the villagers (and so far, no one in the thread) tweak to the fact that his name, phonetically, is literally "lie". A sign of how oblivious they are that he can basically go up to them and say "Hello, I am lying to you. Would you like to be happy?" and they still eat it up.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Fister Roboto posted:

I agree, but I also think that it's weird to get genuinely, literally angry at people who don't exist. Now can we please stop with the ridiculous hyperbole?

People are making fun of you on Something Awful, get over it and stop responding if you don't want people to keep talking about it.

I'd never seen the mayor's dialogue about wanting to talk to Fassad about money before. Unfortunately I can't say much more until the next update. But boy, we're about to get into it now. From this point on, I'd really recommend people who have been skipping over the town dialogue to start reading it in future updates. The things the townsfolk have to say regarding the things that are happening to the village really help to convey one of the themes of the game.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
There's a bigger reason that Fassad, and the bad guys in general in this game, are so, so vile, and hatable, and why they fill the people who play this (and have souls) with such fury. And it starts in the next chapter.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
From a gameplay standpoint, the changes are nice and it kicks the game into gear properly.

From a narrative standpoint, this is why Fassad is so eminently detestable; he did awful things in chapter three, had nothing to worry about, and then even after our heroes did everything they could to stop him and appeared to have done so, the next time we get to see things, it's clear that he won.

The system of money has been instated. Happy Boxes™ were set up. The town was modernised (not necessarily a bad thing as we know it, but the village had thrived perfectly fine up to that point the way it had, and, as mentioned, one of the big themes of the game is nature vs. technology, so the encroach of civilisation is a bad thing as far as the story is concerned). People are working in some factory; even children. Strangers are all about and everything carries an undertone that this is not a world that Lucas and family are comfortable with, not one that they belong in.

The strongest touch for all of this is that we can now talk to the Pigmasks like regular NPCs. Even though we know that they were and are evil, the mass public are convinced that they're just regular guys, or perhaps even that it's like a volunteer military and that it's okay to join up. So we're left being one of a handful of people who know that things aren't right in this place, and to the rest of the town we'd just come off as the crazy guy yelling on the corner of the street if we ever tried to speak up about it.

It's a really well-done slap in the face to the player, suggesting that their actions are utterly futile, simultaneously strengthening their resolve to get out there, stop these assholes, and save everyone, whether they even realise they need saving or not.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Cheez posted:

He's also mad at "useful as caramel", which makes more sense. "A caramel" is something prepared for you to eat. Caramel is just the substance.

Since there's no caramel items in-game for you to eat and gain positive effects from, "a caramel" makes just as much sense for how useful something is in battle, but that's neither here nor there. At no point during the game when I play it do I stop and think "there really needs to be a better translation of this", and I don't know why this person is making another one, unless they just want to practice translation.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Y-Hat posted:

I'm pretty sure that Muttshrooms can't confuse themselves with their own spores, though. At least I've never seen it happen.

They can't. Easy shorthand to tell if something is immune to an item/status is in the message displayed.

If the game posted:

But it didn't work!

then it just failed in that instance.

But if the game posted:

It didn't work on (creature name)!"

like you can see in the screenshot, then the enemy is immune. I can't remember if it gets screwy sometimes and says the first message when something's immune, and doesn't say the second message until the status "hits", though.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 5, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Can there be a reversed version of that one?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Variant_Eris posted:

I want Flint in our party. That's all I want. A Lucas-Duster-Kumatora-Flint team would be awesome.

When you're good at combos, Boney's speed actually makes him quite useful as a quick attacker, especially if you know you can down an enemy with just his attacks or in one party turn and want to move things along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Glazius posted:

So the Magypsies awakened the power of PK Love knowing they would die.

But they didn't know they'd awaken PK Love. Ionia just gave Lucas the ability to use PSI in general, and it turns out he was able to use PK Love.

• Locked thread