Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Gosh, just listening to this track makes me want to play this game again.
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

Is it a nice difficulty spike, or does it just make the game more tedious? If it actually makes combat more interesting and strategic, I'd do it. Not worth the effort though if it just makes everything drag out longer without changing much else.
Wish I knew as well, but it kinda reminds me of the anti-piracy measures in Earthbound that would triple the amount of enemies on screen and raise their aggressiveness so the game would be unenjoyable for players.

Also, Goons is my pick.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Well, there goes The Iron Giant.

Genocyber posted:

For those who don't know about it

http://www.mother4game.com/

They've slated it for release in winter of this year, which isn't far off. They don't update much, but what they have shown is nice, so I'm tentatively excited.
I distinctly remember that emerging when Shigesato Itoi announced that he will not make another game in the series, here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ebFsRCFTc

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
So, why did the game feel the need to repeat Hinawa's message twice within an hour (reasonably)? I never quite got why the game focused a bit too much attention to it. Probably a bit of a nitpick, but I remember how slowly the game scrolls the letter for the player. The game could have easily showed Hinawa releasing the messenger bird sans the text dump and had the player find out what it said when Flint received it.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Started getting a bit of the sniffles from the music at the end of this section when I played it for the first time. For being a game that dips pretty often into nonsensical fantasy, Flint's reaction to the news was so...real. :smith:

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

I like to think that the ghost is staring in awe at a man using a snake in that fashion. Really great sprite animation, in any case.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
What is constantly worrying Jackie throughout this whole game?

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
There's a video where a guy did a ROMhack and replaced Wess's character model with other ones from the game, just to see which animation they landed on. All the results were pretty drat hilarious. I'd post a link to it, but it gives away a fair few :siren:spoilers:siren: for characters and contextual situations we haven't seen yet. Perhaps once we've got past the point in the game with all the animations shown from the video.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

I really did not like this chapter at all. Definitely the low point of the game.
It's slow, but I see these early chapters as setting up the beginning of a plot as seen through multiple perspectives, which is something I like seeing in games. It gives a feeling like there's something large about to happen and the current events of it are affecting a wide range of characters.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Some guy managed to hack the game's ROM and swap out Wess' character model while he danced with other character sprites, just to see what animation they would land on during the scene. The results really speak for themselves.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
That ostrich/elephant hybrid panicking at the top of the screen is such a cool little detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I suppose this is the point where we can cry now?

I can't really relate to the loss of everything Lucas has gone through, but drat does this game present it really well. All things considered, the ending to this game is one of the few things that actually got to me when I first played it. Glad you made this LP, Mega64! It was a nice trip down memory lane.

• Locked thread