Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jeez Bills, save it for the preseason.

In nobody cares Patriots news, someone's cat walked across the keyboard:

Patriots sign free agent DL Eathyn Manumaleuna; Release DL Seali'i Epenesa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

While I somewhat agree, they might just not have had that high of a grade on him.

For example, Jimmy Clausen.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

Garoppolo is the one who was actually a target that got yanked out before they could draft him

I really wish you had gotten him.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That probably won't affect the Panthers offense all that much.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, Mallett's a FA next year, so he could conceivably get enough of a contract to fetch a 5th or 6th round comp pick.

But that'd be for the 2016 draft, so they'd be much better off moving him now for whatever they can get.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I like how every major player that was reported as going to hold out has shown up with minimal fuss and instead Marshawn Lynch and Alex Boone are the guys holding out.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Over at Eagles training camp...

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, it was pretty funny and shockingly effective at times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AnJIzTkPPE&t=107s

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

RumbleFish posted:

I don't even understand why the Cardinals picked him up, given that they have a Patrick Peterson, but apparently he's off the return unit now.

Generally don't want someone as expensive as Peterson to be taking those hits.

Meanwhile, in New England:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A Pale Horse posted:

Unless the Giants new offense is 70% HB screens then 70% seems completely impossible.

Looking at Eli's stats, he's been right at 70% on those and 65-70% the last three years on passes thrown 1-10 yards.

So just go full Brian Schottenheimer and maybe 70% is attainable!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jaysus posted:

Huh, well last I knew, he was on the PS. What happens to players on the PS at the end of a season? I don't think we released him, so I guess he will be there in the preseason, too.

I just looked it up and it says he was signed to a reserve/futures contract in February, but I don't know what that means.

The practice squad only exists during the season. Right now every player you have signed is just on the 90 man roster. At the end of camp, you cut down to 53 and can make a practice squad from the eligible players then that don't get snatched up by other teams.

A Reserves / Futures contract is just how you sign UDFA's and other bottom rung free agents that aren't on your roster when the season ends. It's called a futures contract because you can sign it after the season ends, but before the league year ends, but it only counts for the next season.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

This might be more offensive then their learn the facts campaign:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Rams have the whole highly drafted QB + retread coach with success over a decade ago thing going for them.

Beyond that, any of: Chiefs, Texans, Vikings, Titans, Jaguars, Dolphins... Though the Dolphins might be a bit too similar in the horrifying PR department.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shath Hole posted:

What did Mind_Taker ever do to you for such a suggestion?

If you're going to watch a team just kind of list along, you can do a lot worse then one with a really good QB and two hilarious WR's.

The lot worse if of course the rest of the team.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Every year the Bills are struck down by some horrible malady.

Often that malady is drafting a bad QB in the 1st round.

Theoretically they have a pretty drat nice defense on paper, but half of it is already injured, and while they have had some good offensive pieces come and go, they haven't come close to putting it together in ages.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

sportsgenius86 posted:

can you say that a Raider is looking really good if they're playing exclusively against other Raiders at this point?

The Patriots apparently looked super good today.

They were scrimmaging against Washington.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Parlett316 posted:

Yeah the Redskins got tuned up hard by Brady. Amerson apparently was picked up almost as bad as Josh Wilson was.

Speaking of, Ben Volin got PSYCHED UP about it:

quote:

The speed was amped up, the pace was more frantic and the physicality in the run game from both sides was impressive — the Patriots’ offensive line dominated the Redskins’ defensive line, but the Redskins’ linebackers absolutely punished the Patriots’ running backs. Several Redskins players noted/complained about the physicality of the Patriots’ cornerbacks, and Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall got into it with a couple of Patriots receivers, particularly Kenbrell Thompkins, who took a nice thump from Hall in 7-on-7 drills and then got in Hall’s face after the play.

In short, it was as real as football can get in August.

YEAH, SCRIMMAGE!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

quote:

Phil Emery says Martellus Bennett us absent today because he's been fined and suspended undetermined time.

Well then.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

All I know is that if I'm a vet with a guaranteed roster spot on the Bears right now I am punching the first UDFA I find as hard as humanly possible in front of reporters to take a few days off from camp.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I believe Lafell can break out about as strongly as I believe Danny Amendola can play a healthy 12 game season.

But I will take any of Lafell / Dobson / Thompkins putting it together this year. Really, just one for three would be just super.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mike Reiss:
Practice scene setter: Jimmy Garoppolo drops back to pass, fires left to Brian Tyms, route undercut by Bashaud Breeland (D4-14) for INT.

Ben Volin:
Took Garoppolo 2.5 hours to get an 11-on-11 rep. His very first pass is intercepted by Breeland

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Since we've had a lot of Dolphins chat, here's Barnwell and Chris Brown's take: http://grantland.com/features/the-question-of-ryan-tannehill/

If nothing else click it for this video of Tyson Clabo: https://twitter.com/Mendel_Cover32/status/494108070998732800

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tom Brady and 15 other Patriots won't be playing tonight.

Hope y'all enjoy the Ryan Mallet experience, Washington's backup secondary sure will.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Just those three, so Mallet will probably play at least the first half.

They also only have 2 tight ends that can suit up and most of the rookies are out.

It's gonna be a shitshow!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Well now we know how to fix the XFL scramble for the ball.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Blitz7x posted:

The Raiders WRs are absolutely destroying Dallas' secondary in their joint practices. It might be a looooong year for Cowboys fans

In their first preseason game, their top 6 CB's were held out of the game and they were forced to play the loosest, saddest zones possible. There was never a guy in position to do anything against a pass.

Not sure how many/if any of those guys are back, but man, they need some help desperately.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

During practices last week, the Cowboys were down to using safeties during CB drills and assistant coaches as safeties.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sorry to steal Raiders fans' thunder, but practice was apparently hilarious today:

Jason La Canfora posted:

Vintage Greg Little - gets 3 steps on the DB down the sideline, wide open, ball hits him right in both hands... and you can guess the rest

The Cowboys D being openly taunted on their own practice field by the legion of Raiders fans in the near stands. Like on every snap

It's gonna get testy here again. F bombs flying between the Cowboys D and Raiders O. All kinds of trash talking in individual drills

Loud cheer of "Romo sucks, Romo sucks, Romo sucks," breaks out on the Raiders fan stands. Yikes. It's special drills. Tony not even throwing

Another fight. We gotta be getting close to a half dozen in these two sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

zimbomonkey posted:

For poor performance or character issues? Or are the packers bringing Finley back?

I think it's an injury cut. He tore up his knee pretty badly.

• Locked thread