Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

JakeP posted:

Why does Pander know you aren't scum

Take the dog out and this happens. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Poison Mushroom posted:

I don't like how he bent over backwards to constantly remind us that his ":siren: mason partner :siren:" went killing. Maybe I'd believe it if he'd said something like "confirmed mason partner", but just being masons is absolutely nothing of note in this game.
:what:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Your sirens, Juan, not mine.

I urge everyone who doesn't believe he's being completely over the top to check out from right here onward. In the space of an hour, he mentions his masonry with CPig in each and every one of something like ten posts.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Juanito: Juanito is taking merk's case and voting of him very personally, and this post continues the trend of raising the same red flags as well. This all despite that he's only at -4, more than a day from deadline. I don't like how he bent over backwards to constantly remind us that his ":siren: mason partner :siren:" went killing. Maybe I'd believe it if he'd said something like "confirmed mason partner", but just being masons is absolutely nothing of note in this game. Together, it all stinks of false outrage, pretending to be upset about this horrible unfair behavior he's been getting, while actually contributing nothing but an OMGUS.

Given the fact Opop said that all masons would be unconfirmed, why would you believe him if he said something like confirmed mason partner?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pander posted:

Given the fact Opop said that all masons would be unconfirmed, why would you believe him if he said something like confirmed mason partner?
I have a reason.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Poison Mushroom posted:

Your sirens, Juan, not mine.

I urge everyone who doesn't believe he's being completely over the top to check out from right here onward. In the space of an hour, he mentions his masonry with CPig in each and every one of something like ten posts.
Oh I know I used sirens. Just the whole part that I should have been saying "confirmed mason partner"

I think everybody saw my posts mentioning the masonry. And I think pretty much every single one of my posts was a response to someone else?

Hey at least you're putting in some effort after Poque called you and voted you.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
Mostly recovered from my concussion. Merk is doing scummy Merk things, still would vote. OTOH, Juanito is being way more active and defensive than I'm used to seeing and it doesn't feel sincere. Pander feels like Pander. I don't know what DJ is doing? Mushroom feels townie. JakeP feels like his favorite role. Poque is being way to noncommittal until he votes Mushroom, it doesn't feel genuine to me. Would vote.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

I have a reason.

The entire shtick of this game appears to be "everyone has a partner they don't know if they can trust". I don't believe you have a reason.

Juanito: This is my issue with your reasoning. All the following are quotes from you, emphasis mine.

"Because I'm not afraid of my mason partner anymore?"
"My PM doesn't give me any reason to be concerned. I take risks."
"There is nothing dangerous about claiming my masonry when the other mason shot his dayvig."
"Do you really think I'm going to bother with OOT chat with Cpig? He shot his dayvig a few posts into D1."
"Wouldn't be worth the effort of opening a spreadsheet or even sending a PM. Hay Cpig, tell me your thoughts."
"Because it's Cpig, also: he wasted a dayvig like an hour after day 1 started."
"Have you ever bounced an idea off of Cpig? I'm only glad I didn't when he had the dayvig."
"Opop says "may not".. so there is only the possibility. It's a gamble I was willing to take."
"What did I lose from it? Other than fake outrage from merk and Pander? Nobody else really cares."
" I've made it clear I claimed because I didn't care."

It doesn't look like you didn't care at first. Early on you look like you're trying to frame what you did as a safe, a-okay move, even tossing your PM up as an unassailable shield. The earlier reasons given focus around how 'safe' newly-neutered Cpig is, then shift to how bad/useless he is in general, then about how you were willing to take a risk despite the OP, then about how nobody cares least of all you.

It's a lot of re-framing your position. Like I said, it looks a lot like how I felt D1 as scum in the Hunger Games thread when Lumpen latched onto something I said that I thought was innocuous.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I'm vanilla town, in a masonry with Cpig, and don't care if I get voted.

merk is scum though. He doesn't do his "big baby gambit" when he's town.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I like your tone lately. Wanted to do due diligence cause you were inconsistent. Inconsistency isn't necessarily a scum-only trait, and your don't care does feel stronger than your oh crap.

##unvote

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Juanito posted:

Unfortunately that isn't true, and I think looking over everything again you look a lot worse than he does. As someone pointed out, you seem to care a lot more about what people think of you this game than you normally would.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Hal Incandenza posted:

Unfortunately that isn't true, and I think looking over everything again you look a lot worse than he does. As someone pointed out, you seem to care a lot more about what people think of you this game than you normally would.
Oh, I didn't realize merk also did the big baby gambit when he was town, my bad

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Hal Incandenza posted:

Sometimes I like to argue more than other times. :)

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Juanito posted:

Oh, I didn't realize merk also did the big baby gambit when he was town, my bad

What is your case on me then?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I don't like the "voting him until he or I dies" thing because the strongest association I have with it was when he used it on xopods in the CYOR as scum. Not confident in it enough to vote him for it, cause I couldn't find any other examples of him doing this in his past 15 completed games or so.

Poison actually put in some effort in his post, which is the only thing making me hesitate from voting him. It looks like a lot of nothing fluffed up without much basis. Like he's trying to sound more towny than he actually feels.

Want to vote the semi-lurkers, like Bigup, more than people actually posting now.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm pretty much locked into this Juanito thing. I'd like for us to take care of it today rather than let it fester. I will vote Juanito tomorrow if we're both alive.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I'm fine being voted if you're not going to vote merk. scum will continue to bring me up, I'm an easy target, and it would be a dumb decision to waste another entire day on me.

Besides.. revealing my lame masonry was a super scummy move. :jerkbag:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
game theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj-CPouUAWo

the true detectives theme doesn't really work since this has detectives from things not true detectives

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pander posted:

Poison actually put in some effort in his post
Her. :eng101:

Isn't Grandicap usually more active than this?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

Her. :eng101:

Isn't Grandicap usually more active than this?

Usually:(

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pander posted:

I like your tone lately. Wanted to do due diligence cause you were inconsistent. Inconsistency isn't necessarily a scum-only trait, and your don't care does feel stronger than your oh crap.

##unvote

I understand your reasons for this but I don't see how they apply to Juanito, especially since your post before that cased him in ten separate quotes.

Pander posted:

It doesn't look like you didn't care at first. Early on you look like you're trying to frame what you did as a safe, a-okay move, even tossing your PM up as an unassailable shield. The earlier reasons given focus around how 'safe' newly-neutered Cpig is, then shift to how bad/useless he is in general, then about how you were willing to take a risk despite the OP, then about how nobody cares least of all you.

It's a lot of re-framing your position. Like I said, it looks a lot like how I felt D1 as scum in the Hunger Games thread when Lumpen latched onto something I said that I thought was innocuous.

This post reads to me as very suspicious, casting doubt on Juanito for both the early position of the safety of claiming mason partners and re-framing a position that got him heat. But then this post by Juan is enough to get you to back off?

Juanito posted:

I don't get it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I don't think Juanito is scum.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
we've got deadline tonight. I will be at a base ball game but will try to pop in on my phone during it. for now ##vote Pander

I don't think he ever thought Juanito was scum. I don't like that he is trying to back away from a lynch and advocating hitting a lurker over anybody where there are actual points to be made:

Pander posted:

I don't like the "voting him until he or I dies" thing because the strongest association I have with it was when he used it on xopods in the CYOR as scum. Not confident in it enough to vote him for it, cause I couldn't find any other examples of him doing this in his past 15 completed games or so.

Poison actually put in some effort in his post, which is the only thing making me hesitate from voting him. It looks like a lot of nothing fluffed up without much basis. Like he's trying to sound more towny than he actually feels.

Want to vote the semi-lurkers, like Bigup, more than people actually posting now.

this whole post is weirdly terrible. Bigup is erratic but I don't get any sense of scum out of it. You don't like Mushroom because she's trying to sound towny, but because she's putting in effort you won't vote for her? Even if the effort is trying to sound towny? And you're going through game histories to look for meta points?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Alright, time for some re-reads and initial thoughts.

First off, everyone has been pretty inactive in general. Maybe this much content to dig into without a proper joke phase has people gun shy? Like, seriously, capps should be posting a ton more by now. If there's nothing worth commenting on in your post history, you get skipped.

Bigup DJ is clearly joking with his whole anger deal, but hasn't popped in since then. Maybe he's been busy IRL? Still, that's a long period to be away for.

CPig has me suspicious. Before he vigs Peta, he puts a vote on him because of a joke post and a votefinder mix up. His vote then later settles onto his mason partner, which seems like an odd choice to me.

The most significant Grandicap has done is call two people voting for a dude a bandwagon, which seems a misunderstanding of things.

JakeP seems to be pretty on the ball. I don't agree with what he says about Juanito, but that could be due to a lack of objectivity born of stubborn obstinacy.

I'm getting some super town vibes from Poque. He's like the only guy to really be focused on scum hunting, and as such, I'll be taking an especially heavy look at Pander after this.

I don't like that Poison Mushroom is trying to distance from both Juanito and merk in a clear, unambiguous fashion. I do like that Poison Mushroom is at least trying stuff. Would not vote tonight.

Well, that's it for the moderately interesting people so far. Next post, I'll write up on merk, Juanito, and Pander. If you're not mentioned in either of these posts, maybe you should post more? (This includes me.)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh sorry, this game just hasn't grab me yet

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
if i had to choose between merk and juantio i think i would go merk

merk is off this game, can't tell if its scum merk yet or not

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

mr.capps posted:

if i had to choose between merk and juantio i think i would go merk

merk is off this game, can't tell if its scum merk yet or not

What if you didn't have to choose and we could lynch both?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, we're getting to the point where unless someone makes a major slip, we're probably between the two vote leaders. I've stated my feelings about both of them, and would vote either, but I'll be around in case something changes.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yeah, we're getting to the point where unless someone makes a major slip, we're probably between the two vote leaders. I've stated my feelings about both of them, and would vote either, but I'll be around in case something changes.

I'd probably vote either but I think I would rather go for Juanito

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I feel like merk's vote on Juanito is significant:

merk posted:

Why claim this when the op says it's probably not wise to claim it? ##vote Juanito

Sure, he goes into further detail as he goes along, but at the point of the vote, he feels that Juanito revealing his masonry partner is not just a foolish move, but a scummy one. merk uses this moment to establish the rhetorical battle lines that have thus far dominated the game. While certainly Juanito, and most of the rest of us, have met him on his pre-decided ground, it is still merk who has decided them, and merk who has continued to cling them.

merk posted:

Yeah, I'm voting Juanito until he or I is removed from the game. See you in a few days.

merk posted:

I'm pretty much locked into this Juanito thing. I'd like for us to take care of it today rather than let it fester. I will vote Juanito tomorrow if we're both alive.

Here we see merk standing by his position both earlier and later, digging in and entrenching the idea that only one of him or Juanito is scum, and forcing us to address the fact before we can do anything. I believe that this intractable position has done much to reduce interest in the game, by pushing other matters to the sidelines. Notice how much time we devote to discussing the validity of revealing one's masonry partner compared to the validity of CPig's dayvig.

This level of rhetorical command is not a solid grounding for a game, it is a bad faith argument and startling narcissistic. merk has demanded that the game be entirely about him and his half-formed, mangled case. I refuse to believe that merk is town.

Alright, I'll save Juanito and Pander for the next post.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Juanito's rhetorical battle is almost a complete opposite, stylistically, from merk's. But that just means that it is subtle, more insidious, and more likely to be effective at changing hearts and minds. He seeks to underplay his own importance, as well as slowly erode the importance of masonry secrecy. The key difference to me, though, is that Juanito's assertions very well could be done sincerely as town. Juanito seems to genuinely believe that the fact he is mason partners with CPig is insignificant, and that as vanilla town, he has relatively little importance to town. merk's more aggressive rhetoric drags Juanito back again and again, and in responding to that rhetoric, everyone involved looks worse.

My main problem with Pander is that he has chosen to align himself with the toxic rhetoric proposed by merk. He pushes hard again Juanito's own rhetoric, but in doing so entrenches the line that merk wishes to impose on the game. But on the other hand, he later pulls off. This, though, could be a deliberate distancing effort. I don't propose a chain lynch, but I think that if merk is scum, Pander is worthy of further examination.

So, right now, I stand by merk being the most likely scum in this thread.

Vote merk today and save the game.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Meinberg posted:

Bigup DJ is clearly joking with his whole anger deal, but hasn't popped in since then. Maybe he's been busy IRL? Still, that's a long period to be away for.

yeah I had some errands to run which took up most of yesterday, I'm here for the deadline and will read people over.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Bigup DJ posted:

yeah I had some errands to run which took up most of yesterday, I'm here for the deadline and will read people over.

Meinberg posted:

There you go, saved you some time.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Meinberg posted:

There you go, saved you some time.

gently caress you meinberg, I'm still thinking about who to vote. Juanito's pretty innocuous and merk has been all tunnel vision on him for the duration of the game. merk wouldn't put all his eggs in one basket if he were scum because he's hosed if Juanito turns out to be town, so I don't think merk's scum. I don't really think either of them are scum but I've only read merk so far. I'm going to read Juanito over now.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Meinberg posted:

Juanito's rhetorical battle is almost a complete opposite, stylistically, from merk's. But that just means that it is subtle, more insidious, and more likely to be effective at changing hearts and minds. He seeks to underplay his own importance, as well as slowly erode the importance of masonry secrecy. The key difference to me, though, is that Juanito's assertions very well could be done sincerely as town. Juanito seems to genuinely believe that the fact he is mason partners with CPig is insignificant, and that as vanilla town, he has relatively little importance to town. merk's more aggressive rhetoric drags Juanito back again and again, and in responding to that rhetoric, everyone involved looks worse.

My main problem with Pander is that he has chosen to align himself with the toxic rhetoric proposed by merk. He pushes hard again Juanito's own rhetoric, but in doing so entrenches the line that merk wishes to impose on the game. But on the other hand, he later pulls off. This, though, could be a deliberate distancing effort. I don't propose a chain lynch, but I think that if merk is scum, Pander is worthy of further examination.

So, right now, I stand by merk being the most likely scum in this thread.

This is pretty accurate, and I hope it gets a reread tomorrow if I die today.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
ok so reading Juanito over he's pushing the "MASON PARTNER" thing constantly, but I honestly can't see what advantage that would give him. I read merk's big bold post about how Juanito "has no idea why he outed his mason partner. There is no critical thought into what is happening. He's scrambling to try to explain away what he just did and my vote with it." Poison Mushroom said later that being masons is absolutely nothing to get excited over, but then why does it matter to her that he claimed masons with Cpig?

I think Juanito and merk should just stop focusing on each other and look at absolutely anyone else. Juanito's been better in that respect, but not by much.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
One of us should go today, bigup, or else D2 will be a repeat of today.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
man why don't the two of you just shake hands and move on??

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
Aside from the masonry argument, Juanito's been pretty thin on the ground. I think he thinks poison mushroom is town? That's all I could pick up from him.

This masonry discussion with Juanito is a big waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
Moving on, I like Meinberg because he's looking past the Juanito-merk thing and doing some scumhunting. He's putting up some good arguments against merk, even if I disagree with them (I'm 100% on merk being town, Juanito less so - not sure either way there).

• Locked thread