Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
beetle
Oct 12, 2012

Wie ein Chef!

After about 2 years of recreational shooting I finally got 25/25 at 16 yard trap.

25 down, now onto 50!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beetle
Oct 12, 2012

Wie ein Chef!

oops thought I was posting in the shotgun thread... oh well

gfanikf
Jun 23, 2012

beetle posted:

oops thought I was posting in the shotgun thread... oh well

Truthfully I thought you had gone Holland and Holland and were talking about the need for a Pith helmet.

Juice
Jun 19, 2002

Is it a tradition to shoot your hat if you get a perfect round?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Juice posted:

I definitely saw an Australian trap competitor at the Sydney Olympics shoot his hat after shooting a 25/25 in the final round. He had just won the gold medal though, so it could have simply been exuberance.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

Coulda, woulda, shoulda
bought
a
TurboGrafx-16

7/20 shoot hats erryday.

But seriously, nice work!

gfanikf posted:

Truthfully I thought you had gone Holland and Holland and were talking about the need for a Pith helmet.

Hey now, he could also have been entering the Colt Single Action field and been needing a good Stetson. Or a 10-gallon.

beetle
Oct 12, 2012

Wie ein Chef!

Juice posted:

Yes, tradition calls for the hat to be shot the first time you have a perfect round, and then major milestones after that. It's generally accepted that the first 25 calls for a hat shoot.

depending on the club you might have a hat shoot at 50, 75 -- but usually not.

The next milestone for a hat shoot is usually 100 straight.

In case anyone is interested here is how it works (at least where I shoot):

1) the scorer notifies the range staff that someone hit their first 25/25. a "hat shoot" is called for
2) staff gets the word out -- shooters from the other trap/skeet fields come over to help out
3) all shooters get into a big line with both barrels loaded
4) about 7-8 clays are put into the hat and the whole thing is wrapped up in rubber bands.
5) the guy with the hat stands behinds the line of shooters and throws the hat up as high as he can over the line of the shooters.
6) shooters unload both barrels at the target

in my case range staff determined that the hat did not sustain enough damage, so the whole procedure was repeated again

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Napalm sticks
to manchildren

Congrats, man!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I SAY I'LL STARCH THINGS BUT I NEVER FINISH

You should still wear that hat now and then

Juice
Jun 19, 2002

beetle posted:

Yes, tradition calls for the hat to be shot the first time you have a perfect round, and then major milestones after that. It's generally accepted that the first 25 calls for a hat shoot.

depending on the club you might have a hat shoot at 50, 75 -- but usually not.

The next milestone for a hat shoot is usually 100 straight.

In case anyone is interested here is how it works (at least where I shoot):

1) the scorer notifies the range staff that someone hit their first 25/25. a "hat shoot" is called for
2) staff gets the word out -- shooters from the other trap/skeet fields come over to help out
3) all shooters get into a big line with both barrels loaded
4) about 7-8 clays are put into the hat and the whole thing is wrapped up in rubber bands.
5) the guy with the hat stands behinds the line of shooters and throws the hat up as high as he can over the line of the shooters.
6) shooters unload both barrels at the target

in my case range staff determined that the hat did not sustain enough damage, so the whole procedure was repeated again

Awesome tradition

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

How will I ever achieve this goal if I sell my Weatherby Orion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

infrared35 posted:

How will I ever achieve this goal if I sell my Weatherby Orion?

Do it with a 590