Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PSX JRPG is the worst?
Final Fantasy VIII
Legend of Dragoon
SaGa Frontier
Legend of Legaia
View Results

• Locked thread
matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
go back and play it again and see if you can repeat that sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
in the IZJS version of FFXII I just made Vaan a hunter because he starts with a knife

I've already hosed up haven't I?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The only thing resembling a jRPG in the Squenix Humble Bundle is Unachronox.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
is there a modern game with the gameplay of Seiken Densetsu 3 but instead of being an anime with a story it's just a diablo loot grinder?

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

I'll never love stopping JRPGs. cause they're so long. and then you'll forget what you were doing.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Pizzatime posted:

I'll never love stopping JRPGs. cause they're so long. and then you'll forget what you were doing.

there needs to be a word for the feeling of complete and total helplessness you have when loading a jrpg save file you haven't played in months.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

SeXReX posted:

there needs to be a word for the feeling of complete and total helplessness you have when loading a jrpg save file you haven't played in months.

Confusion

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

SeXReX posted:

The word is "gently caress it"

I just did this for DQ4 though, I looked up a walkthrough until I started seeing story/key item names I didn't own yet, and went from there.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I think Lunar 2 is good if you can somehow cut out those embarrassing signing sections. Lunar 1 was too frustrating for me.

Atelier Ayesha is fun but I can tell the timers gonna piss me off

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

The Sharmat posted:

in the IZJS version of FFXII I just made Vaan a hunter because he starts with a knife

I've already hosed up haven't I?

vaan is a sicknasty hunter and it's possible to get him a midgame knife before you go into the plot

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Unguided posted:

The only thing resembling a jRPG in the Squenix Humble Bundle is Unachronox.

everyone should play Anachronox.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

hubris.height posted:

I think Lunar 2 is good if you can somehow cut out those embarrassing signing sections. Lunar 1 was too frustrating for me.

Atelier Ayesha is fun but I can tell the timers gonna piss me off

What was so different mechanically between Lunar 1 and 2 that 1 was frustrating but 2 wasn't? I mean, the plot is different but the games are the exact same otherwise

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Fenrir posted:

What was so different mechanically between Lunar 1 and 2 that 1 was frustrating but 2 wasn't? I mean, the plot is different but the games are the exact same otherwise

Boss difficulty and general encounter and dungeon diving difficulty. Mechanically they're identical but one was much more difficult than the other, by orders of magnitude. They're both good, but towards the end of Lunar I just quit playing. I was pretty young so it might have been a skill thing, but I've heard this complaint from others too.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
The last day of Devil Survivor 2 is grindy bullshit.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

hubris.height posted:

Boss difficulty and general encounter and dungeon diving difficulty. Mechanically they're identical but one was much more difficult than the other, by orders of magnitude. They're both good, but towards the end of Lunar I just quit playing. I was pretty young so it might have been a skill thing, but I've heard this complaint from others too.
Well, if you're talking about the Sega CD ones, I can't say much there. I never played them. But the PS1 remakes both came out when I was in my 20s and I really didn't see a significant change in difficulty between the two. Maybe the Lunar 2 early game was easier but it caught up really fast, and some of the L2 endgame content may have been harder.

Then again, I may have just been a bit underleveled because of how easy the L2 early game was.

Either way, I can't see a significant enough difference. Of course, this only refers to the PS1 remakes.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 30, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Persona 3 The Answer status report:

Why the hell am i not allowed to recharge my SP before the first big fight this is stupid

I mean poo poo I don't even have access to SP-restoring items yet (aside from maybe the soda machine?)

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the answer loving hates you

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Doctor Goat posted:

the answer loving hates you

i had to suspect as much after dying five times on the first three floors

i suspect it's not worth it and i should just start again in the regular game if i need a persona 3 fix

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
don't play the answer

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Crimson Harvest posted:

The word is "gently caress it"

I just did this for DQ4 though, I looked up a walkthrough until I started seeing story/key item names I didn't own yet, and went from there.

Try this for Dragon Quest VII. I had no idea where the hell I was supposed to go when I got to a certain point in the game (even with a strategy guide) when I regularly played it, and I certainly have no clue now that it's been something like 10 years.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

stoutfish posted:

don't play the answer

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Trails in the Sky was just released on Steam: What/how is Trails in the Sky?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

StandardVC10 posted:

Persona 3 The Answer status report:

Why the hell am i not allowed to recharge my SP before the first big fight this is stupid

I mean poo poo I don't even have access to SP-restoring items yet (aside from maybe the soda machine?)

aw man, good luck.

the answer has my favorite boss theme in p3.

LuiCypher posted:

Try this for Dragon Quest VII. I had no idea where the hell I was supposed to go when I got to a certain point in the game (even with a strategy guide) when I regularly played it, and I certainly have no clue now that it's been something like 10 years.

i really wanted to like DQVIII but the flat coloring looked really bland. i don't usually care for how a game looks, but it was all so boring to look at.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

No Such Thing posted:

Trails in the Sky was just released on Steam: What/how is Trails in the Sky?

Really good game, but the PC release is buggy for what I'm hearing. The devs have been active on the Steam forums working on collecting bug reports and workarounds though, and fully intend to patch it.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

TitS is good but there's a ton of sidequests and you probably won't want to do them all, but they apparently affect the sidequests in the second game so you have to do them all, but the sequels are probably only going to be released on steam and your old gamesave is on psp whoops

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

not as bad as trying to do every xenoblade sidequest tho

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nah all you get for doing the sidequests is some random trinkets at the start of the sequel

also the sequel is going to be on the psp too

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Flavahbeast posted:

not as bad as trying to do every xenoblade sidequest tho

Which isn't bad at all.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

hubris.height posted:

i found that lunar 2 was much less grindy than sssc was. if you took every enemy out in a dungeon (which is not remotely hard) you were more than prepared throughout the game. the only time i needed to grind was for the final boss

the combat is boring unless you go balls out with magic and the like then its pretty fun. the game tries to prevent you from doing this by making starlights expensive but as long as you dont blow money on pointless poo poo like weapons for ronfar you can afford starlights and the latest armor no problem. plinking everything to death with melee is boring as hell and i dunno why 15-year old me that that was acceptable when playing things like final fantasy

the black dragon cave can suck it tho. enemies are generally resistant to magic, there's an assload of them, the dungeon is long, and the boss at the end shrugs off magic. get hosed

this is only from the psx version but from ive seen of the sega cd version is that the dungeons are obnoxious bullshit with random encounters so gently caress that. cutscenes that don't look like video clips from 1999 aint worth stupid dungeons

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Yeah, I think I was like 12 when I borrowed Lunar Silver Star Story from my friend (for PSX) and I remember that towards the end of the game I wasn't having any fun, even with my love of grindy games at the time, and just gave up. Or was it towards the end of the game? I don't even remember, rightly. Either way, it was too difficult with too little reward for kid-me. But, Lunar 2 I beat and I think I only ever saw the Game Over screen like one time. It was pretty straightforward, for exactly the reasons the other guy posted. Clear every battle and you're good.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

hubris.height posted:

Yeah, I think I was like 12 when I borrowed Lunar Silver Star Story from my friend (for PSX) and I remember that towards the end of the game I wasn't having any fun, even with my love of grindy games at the time, and just gave up. Or was it towards the end of the game? I don't even remember, rightly. Either way, it was too difficult with too little reward for kid-me. But, Lunar 2 I beat and I think I only ever saw the Game Over screen like one time. It was pretty straightforward, for exactly the reasons the other guy posted. Clear every battle and you're good.

sssc's problem is that you get jack for xp until you reach the black dragon fort and the game wants you to grind for every dungeon. have fun killing mutant fish that give poo poo-all for xp in the sewers or stupid fluffballs in some dude's garden for an hour! :waycool:

then again lunar 2 is just better in nearly every aspect and is one of my fav games of all time so yeah its not surprising that lunar 2 would be much less grindy

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

The OP will never stop sucking of men's weiners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

The OP will never stop sucking of men's weiners.

• Locked thread