Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PSX JRPG is the worst?
Final Fantasy VIII
Legend of Dragoon
SaGa Frontier
Legend of Legaia
View Results

• Locked thread
hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Same OP.

I pre-order JRPGs, and buy them when I see them below $30 used even if I know they're poo poo.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Speaking of Lufia 2, I think it was the only time I ever felt anything but disappointment or apathy at the ending sequence of an RPG. I was surprised at how strong of a reaction I felt.

As a child it was fulfilling for me, but I discovered Gift mode on my rented copy and never cared about the main story line again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

Also why isn't Wild Arms 2 on the poll, I loved that lovely game

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Also, if you missed out on the DS era of JRPGs like me, then you can pick up and play those too.

Radiant Historia (For Story rather than Gameplay and Combat)
Strange Journey (So far my favorite SMT game)
EO 1 - 3 (Etrian Odyssey Untold Story is a 3DS remake of EO1)

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Bongo Bill posted:

I forgot to mention that they are also good because they have lots of numbers that you can make go up. Numbers Go Up is my favorite game.

Yeah same.

You're spot on about the best part of a JRPG being the middle where there is no hand holding, and it not being the end because it takes focus or grinding. I absolutely love that middle and late-middle part of JRPGs, and I've really been delayed on starting The Alchemist at Dust even though it comes with very positive reviews because I can just sense a 10-15 hour commitment before I hit the part of the game I will find fun and engaging.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
how about the new valkyrie profile game for the ds

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

01011001 posted:

honestly its not very good mechanically. i kinda liked the story though

yeah it was a mess mechanically. i intend to go back to it but not before i beat vp2 again because i want to be reminded of what made the series good.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
fair nuff

i went and looked up tri aces ps3 release

code:
Resonance of Fate: Released January 16, 2010
Star Ocean: The Last Hope International: Released February 4, 2010
Final Fantasy XIII-2: Released December 15, 2011[2]
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII: Released November 21, 2013[3]
rip tri ace

i thought reso of fat was held in high regard by people? i haven't played much of it but i am pretty sure i own a copy. 13-2 was real frustraingly bad and bland plotwise and the idea of time traveling mario-64 jrpg didn't work

still gonna buy 13-3 when its on sale for 20 or 30 bones this christmas

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
enforced grinding is garbage but i like voluntary grinding that is not needed to further plot, but is there for rear end in a top hat like me who like to play while watching a movie or show because i am riddled with poor attention span and am mentally a childe (because i am playing increase numbers games)

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
did it fix the hour long optional bosses in which you watch gambits execute and grab the remote in a panic if you need to fix a thing

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
so i got the ffx hd remake for ps3 for 20 bucks, what is the difference between the two versions of ffx-2 and ffx? should i just play the second version that is probably the international version?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

The Taint Reaper posted:

FFX-2 had a game breaking bug in the original version that made it possible for you to abuse the gambler roulette and yuna's gun sphere. You would roll all 7's on the gambler which would cause a buff and Yuna would be holding onto a special item. After Yuna was hit with a super strong attack she would be down to minimum HP at that point you use her Gun sphere special and mash the shoulder buttons to fire and you could get 25 attacks in a single turn that hit for 99999 each.

so yes i should play the second edition on the disk?

i started playing alchemist of dusk last night and its visually impressive and starts kinda slow but so far i'm kinda digging it

yes play persona games but if you don't like jrpgs and can't handle them being unpleasant in some regards, just play persona 3 or 4

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I think Lunar 2 is good if you can somehow cut out those embarrassing signing sections. Lunar 1 was too frustrating for me.

Atelier Ayesha is fun but I can tell the timers gonna piss me off

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Fenrir posted:

What was so different mechanically between Lunar 1 and 2 that 1 was frustrating but 2 wasn't? I mean, the plot is different but the games are the exact same otherwise

Boss difficulty and general encounter and dungeon diving difficulty. Mechanically they're identical but one was much more difficult than the other, by orders of magnitude. They're both good, but towards the end of Lunar I just quit playing. I was pretty young so it might have been a skill thing, but I've heard this complaint from others too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Yeah, I think I was like 12 when I borrowed Lunar Silver Star Story from my friend (for PSX) and I remember that towards the end of the game I wasn't having any fun, even with my love of grindy games at the time, and just gave up. Or was it towards the end of the game? I don't even remember, rightly. Either way, it was too difficult with too little reward for kid-me. But, Lunar 2 I beat and I think I only ever saw the Game Over screen like one time. It was pretty straightforward, for exactly the reasons the other guy posted. Clear every battle and you're good.

• Locked thread