Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Yeap~"

Elodie just gives Ash the Sailor Moon wink before she crashes on her bed again.

_____

At dinner, she doesn't wait and devours her share of dinner like someone who hasn't eaten in days. She stays unusualyl silent for a while, though as she grabs something to drink, she suddenly pipes up.

"I'm ready for the debriefing!" Then she smiles and eats more chili.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

After a refreshing fruit salad for dessert, you all file downstairs into the control center. The room is dominated by a mahogany table, while one wall has a bank of computer monitors set up, along with what appears to be a...record player? that seems wired directly into the wall. As you all settle down, Mr. Yamada begins to speak. " Tonight we'll be conducting your first field mission. I called it a debriefing earlier" he shoots a look at Chuck, "because my Persona has oracular capabilities. SOmetimes tenses get a bit mixed up for me. But I digress. Ms. Hamer may be your theory instructor, but I will be providing hands-on training and support, as you all protect the Dreamers that keep our world spinning." He steps over to a rack full of what appear to be records. He pulls one out, and to your surprise, it's a pale green instead of the usual black. On the label is a WWII-styled helmet with leafy branches tied to it.

"This is a Cerebral Disk, or CD. It contains a recording of a Dreamer's delta waves, and I'm going to play it after lights out. We keep a recording of every known Dreamer in the city on file, just in case we need to send in Persona-users like yourselves. When I play it over the in-house sound system, your minds will synchronize with the Dreamer's, and you will enter their Dreamland. When inside, your job is to discover what is disrupting the Dream, usually manifesting as a problem of some sort, and solve it. By doing so, you will keep the formless chaos at bay, and keep the world safe. I'll be monitoring you as I sleep, with Bast's abilities. Now, since you all will be synced up with the Dreamer, any changes you make will persist. THis is a good thing, since any mission like this takes multiple nights to complete."

He sits down, having placed the CD in the reader. "Are there any questions before I start the clock for Study Time?" He smirks, "You do have mundane issues to attend to as well."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FP: 4/5

"Yeah, I got a question. What exactly are we gonna find in there? You lot keep sayin' we're gonna protect the world, but what the hell are we protectin' it from?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

FP 4/5

"Oracular, oracular...oh!" Chuck chews on the word aloud before his eyes finally light up. "Oracle! So you can see the future, sir? And who are we going to be Dreaming with? Is it you, sir?"

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Chris gave Chuck a look. "Don't you remember? Dreamers don't have Personas. Their role is to protect the world; our role is to protect the Dreamers."

He then asks Mr. Yamada, "So how much influence does the Formless Chaos have in our world? Because if I were trying to kill Dreamers and Persona users, I would just brainwash someone into running them over or shooting them or something. Personas can't easily protect against that."

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 9, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"Oracular, you said?" asks Adora, suddenly interested. "Really? According to what I've been told, I've got some myself..."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

FP 4/5

"So how come you don't speak in the past tense?" Chuck responds quizzically. His eyebrow's up--is it a genuine question?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ash looks over at Chris. "What the gently caress?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Alita raises her hand and waits quietly until Mr. Yamada looks to her. Or even just glances her way, she's a little impatient about this.

As soon as he does, she asks, "Where is my bike?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"You guys think about this too much."

Elodie shrugs.

"If they could get their way by hurting people in the real world, Mr. Yamada wouldn't need us, right?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Mio spends some time rolling around on her bed brooding meaningfully in her room before seeing if she can climb down to Adora and Alita's terrace and back again for surreptitious friendship visits and sidekick consulting.

Once she's called to Yamada's briefing, Shadow☆Nova makes a point of leaning on the back wall and looking cool and aloof for as long as possible. When everyone starts piling on the questions, she adds her own.

"Is the Dreamer that Masterton guy?"

Ettin fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 14, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP 4/5

"I hope he's not!" Chuck suddenly says over the silence. "It'd be really awkward to jump into his dreams after we beat him this afternoon."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP 4/5

"Really, really awkward...sir? Are you okay, sir?" Chuck reaches forwards and waves his hand in front of Mr. Yamada's face. "...do you think this is supposed to happen when he's seeing the future? Sir?"

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Mr Yamada's hand snakes out and grabs Chuck by the wrist. "I'd like for my personal space to stay sacrosanct when divining the future.", he growls. "Now to answer all your questions before I send you all off to study. You are still students, after all. " To Aisling: "We're protecting the Dreamers from what we call 'Oneirophages', nasty beings that want to foment endless chaos. Which would be bad", he sarcastically states. Yamada turns to look at Mio: " You don't need to know the Dreamer's identity. As long as they stay anonymous, they stay safe. Unlike you, they can't fight back." "Alita, your bike is in the shed out back. If I get any hint of you breaking the law while riding it, you're downgraded to a trike. Clear?" He turns to address the group as a whole. "Tonight begins the greatest trial any of you have ever undertaken. I will do everything in my power to protect you. You are my charges, and I will keep you safe. One last note, lights out is at 2230, and the CD begins playing at 2300. Now, homework time! March!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ash stuffs her hands in her pockets as she heads to her room, preferring to listen to music rather than study because that's dumb and boring.

"So Elodie, listen, I'm probably gonna have a handle on things in there, so you and the others make sure to keep out of my way, comprende?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP 4/5

"Sir--Ahhh-hah-hah-oww-wow-wow...!" Chuck suddenly withdraws his hand and shakes it out. "Youch..."
-------------

"'What is Westermarck's objection to Freud's...' aaaagh, what does this mean!" Chuck suddenly throws up his hands and turns in his seat to Chris. "So what do you think we're going to see in our dreams? Am I going to turn into a bird?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Alita nods. "You won't hear about me breaking any sort of law with it."

Up in the room, Alita works methodically on her homework, occasionally looking out the window to the shed, obviously considering heading out there.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"No~pe!"

Elodie skips ahead of Ash to get inside the room first. In a single bound, she puts on her headphones, grabs what looks like a huge textbook, then crashes on a nearby bean bag to study.

"Wanna finish these problems together?" She smiles, flipping around the bean bag so she can read the textbook on the floor. "It'll go much faster that way."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"You're probably not gonna leave me alone until I do, are you? Fine, whatever, I don't need to get yelled at two days in a row."

Ash moves her chair and her homework next to Elodie and actually starts working.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Back in their room, Adora retrieves a small box, and a lighter. "I hope you don't mind if I light up, Alita? It helps with the work."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Alita shakes her head. "I don't mind." She pauses for an uncomfortable amount of time, then adds, "Do you want to work together on the assignment?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Adora looks mildly shocked, then smiles. "Of course."

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Chris looked over Chuck's homework. "From what I recall, it was mostly that Westermarck disagreed with Freud's theory that people will have sexual attraction to members of their own family." He shook his head. "When you read about Freud's theories regarding incest, you should recall that Freud was raised by a wet nurse and didn't really meet his mother until he was 5 or 6. That's something the textbooks don't tell you, and something that definitely colored his sexual development, so it was a fairly large mistake for him to assume his feelings were universal."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP 4/5

"Aaaaaah...now I get it! Huh. I wonder what Westermarck has to do with all the stuff we heard this morning. You don't think that the dreamland that we're going into is going to be inspired by...letsnotthinkaboutthatokaynextquestion! 'A rat is taught to push down on a switch in exchange for food. What teaching mechanism is in use here?' Oh, I know! Positive reinforcement..." Chuck continues to write. "How's your stuff coming along, Chris?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Mio heads back to her room. The perfect hero's room, a space all to herself! Just her. Doing her homework. By herself.

Mio tries to sneak into Adora's room.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

The House

Mr. Yamada's voice comes to life through the soundsystem. "2225, students! Time to brush those teeth and get to bed. Cavities are just as implacable as Oneirophages, you know..."

---------
2230 Hours

A quiet has settled over the dormitory, as the echoes of shared-sink squabbles fade away. The Independent Studies students are all drifting into slumber, ready for the trials that lay ahead. A program in the control room activates when the computer's clock turns over to the aforementioned time. The CD Player's turntable begins to spin, and a needle finds the proper groove in the pale green disk. All through the house, a jaunty march begins to play, beckoning the students to step ever deeper into slumber, into the collective unconscousness of all humanity. To step into...Dreamlands

As you all float above a riotous landscape filled with color and motion, Mr Yamada flies ahead of the group. If you squint, something that vaguely looks like a cat-headed lady is floating behind him, formed from mist. "Our objective for now is over there!" He points to a large forest below you, and at the same time, the rest of the Dreamlands slide out of focus, as if nothing in the universe matters aside from this forest of gigantic trees. Suddenly, a dark pillar of energy emanates from the trees, and you are sucked down, down, down into the forest, crashing into the ground.

Luckily none of you are hurt, but Mr. Yamada is nowhere to be seen, and what appears to be a crimson beetle the size of a bus is looking at you from the other side of the clearing you seem to find yourselves in. What do you do?

**********************************************************************************
END OF PROLOGUE

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Chapter One: War, What Is It Good For?
A Place Beyond Time and Space

Two silhouettes stand in front of a stained glass window, as "Ave Maria" plays in the background. Let us see if we can hear some of their conversation...

"It seems as if the other side has finally made a move"

"Finally! I was getting so bored with this lack of resistance!" This figure seems to be pouting a bit.

"If that amuses you, my next bit of information should be positively delightful"

"What's that now?"

"The move in question has been made in Woodpecker's territory."

The pouting figure begins to guffaw. "Woodpecker!? She's going to go berserk! I love it!"

"Calm yourself! This is not a manner in which an Awoken should act. And we have a general meeting to attend, so do please try to act with some decorum."

"I'll try, but I make no promises~"

The scene before us fades to black, before coming back to focus on our heroes, who are confronted by something wildly outside of their expectations...

FewtureMD fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 27, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ash adjusts the strap holding her guitar onto her back and looks around. She had decided that if she was going into these so-called Dreamlands, she wasn't leaving Scathach behind, so she had brought the guitar into bed with her, figuring that would work. Which it apparently has. Aisling: 1 Freud: 0.

"So.......the gently caress is this?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP 4/5

"OH MY GOD I'M FLYING I'M REALLY REALLY FLYING OH MY GOD OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST EXPERIENCE EVEEEEEEEER!"

Yeah, Chuck is really enjoying the whole floating in air thing...until he crashes.

"Ah...AH!" He shakes his head, looks up, and flinches at the beetle. "I have no idea, Ash! Maybe, uh...maybe it's food for the Roc? So we can fly or something?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Alita picks herself up and dusts herself off, shrugging at Ash's question. She goes to helps her other companions up. As she does so, Alita keeps an eye on the giant beetle.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Elodie rolls around the beetle on her skateboard because of course she does. Even while on top of her board, she commits to a needlessly elaborate set of sentai poses.

"Evil doers of the night, here I come to make it right!" She stops right in front of the beetle and thrusts her finger in the air. "It's your Skater of Love ♥! Aerial Idol Elodie!"

And then she does the Sailor Moon wink, while Oya materializes right behind her at the same moment.

"Yay! We're finally here." She breaks out of her pose to pet the beetle. "So, how are we doing this? Are we just gonna get more than vague directions?"

Mitama fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 1, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"......I honestly don't know who's the bigger dork between you and Chris."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"That's easy, I'm the one with the stacks of comic books and Sailor Moon DVDs at home!"

Elodie smiles back at Ashy in a cheery, vaguely oblivious sort of way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Great. And I have to live with you for the rest of the year."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP 4/5

"Hey, I want in on that competition! I can sing 'The Elements' off the top of my head! Theeeeere's antimony, arsenic, aluminum, selenium~"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ash starts pinching her arm. "I WOULD LIKE TO WAKE UP NOW."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Mio either has a second ninja outfit she was saving for this occasion, or she has ninja pajamas. You actually can't tell.

"Ah, an exciting new chapter in my adventures! And is that my steed?" Shadow☆Nova studies the beetle. "Hmm. Probably not."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"Well, this is gross. Are we perhaps in Mr. Yamada's head?" jokes Adora. On her back has materialized a blade, though with the way it is strapped into its sheath it's hard to tell if she can even draw it.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

From the other side of the clearing, the beetle slowly lumbers towards the group. As it trundles closer, a high pitched voice can be heard calling out from behind said beetle, increasing in volume as the owner of said voice gets steadily closer. "Gunther! Gunther! C'mere boy! Charcoal said she'd have my head if I lost our transport againnnnn" The beetle reaches the middle of the clearing, just as the voice reaches the edge of the grass. "Oh there you are, you silly billy! Let me give you a biiig tummy rub." That anyone would coo lovingly to such a large insect is already odd enough, but dd to that the fact that the speaker in question as a 5 foot tall black ant in an army helmet carrying a rifle, and the situation is a few magnitudes beyond 'weird'.

The ant seems to finally notice you, and her(?) eyes widen in shock. The rifle slung over the ant's shoulder is brought to bear on the group, shaking a bit. The ant shouts nervously "Intruders! If you are not registered combatants in the Conflict, I am authorized to shoot you where you stand on orders by Her Royal Majesty Queen Onyx! But I wont! Because you found my friend." The muzzle of the rifle is now pointed at the ground. "You have 30 seconds to tell me who you are, before I summon the rest of my squad, and let my captain decide what to do with you, so I'd hurry up and talk!" In one of the arms not holding the rifle, you can see a gleaming silver whistle. The ant is obviously serious about its threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ash pulls her guitar off her back, holding it by the neck and out towards the ant. "Put down the drat gun, you overgrown pest! We're here lookin' for an Orneryphone thing. You know where we can find it and kick its rear end?"

• Locked thread