Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've heard that Ziggler getting injured as often as he has makes them nervous, which if true is a shame.

Sandow I dunno. The thing is, they are giving him a thing to do which gets an audience reaction- people like the silly costumes and he's selling the Hell out of those segments, like Wade did with Bad News Barrett. So it's not like they're just busting him down the card in anticipation of cutting him. I think they're giving him the "PAY YOUR DUES" treatment.

The injury thing is bullshit they're using to justify it. Orton has multiple strikes and his own injury history and they don't give a poo poo about any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Sandow I dunno. The thing is, they are giving him a thing to do which gets an audience reaction- people like the silly costumes and he's selling the Hell out of those segments, like Wade did with Bad News Barrett. So it's not like they're just busting him down the card in anticipation of cutting him. I think they're giving him the "PAY YOUR DUES" treatment.

"Dress up and be an impersonator" is generally the gimmick you get right before you get fired.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Anime Device posted:

I am glad that the WWE is playing it safe. Wait why didn't Dolph win?

Because the Miz is one of Dunn's favorites.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm more angry that they didn't have any Bryan poo poo at the merch table on my level than the booking :argh:

I didn't read the "any" at first and started to think you were kind of weird.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

"Dress up and be an impersonator" is generally the gimmick you get right before you get fired.

I too miss Charlie Hass but it worked out okay for The Big Show.

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

From the LA Times review

quote:

The Adam Rose act is just not working at all, unless they plan on using it to elevate Thea Trinidad, who appears as one of the Rose Buds, to the main roster as a wrestler.

That would be a weird plan.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the dancing mentally handicapped person gimmicks never work in the long run, well, almost never

bartok
May 10, 2006

I didn't like the PPV but I'm not going to go so far as to cancel my subscription to the WWE Network. It was just a slightly below average "B" PPV that only really pissed me off because there was no Ambrose/Rollins match. I would have been fine with a lame ref stoppage like that Matt Hardy/Edge match.

I'm not upset that the Usos won but what do you do with them now? The only other heel tag team is Rybaxel, who they have beaten more times than The Wyatts. Unless they do face vs. face or call up a team from NXT they got nothing. I am more shocked than angry that Jericho won but it was a boring botch filled match. For some reason Jericho only seems to have fun matches on Smackdown just like his last return.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

bartok posted:

only really pissed me off because there was no Ambrose/Rollins match. I would have been fine with a lame ref stoppage like that Matt Hardy/Edge match.

I don't think that would have made anyone happy either. No one would have looked at it as "well at least they didn't cut the match!" because that wouldn't have even entered our minds as an option.

I'd rather them just not do the match if the only other alternative is to throw it up there with a stupid finish because they booked themselves into a corner. Save the match for when they can give us a finish that makes sense.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The problem with Adam Rose is that his gimmick is totally one note right now. All he does is dance to the ring and spout the same line over and over about not being Lemons. That one time Jack Swagger attacked one of the Rosebuds and he immediately became a psychotic murderer I was hooked all over again because the character is interesting and fun, but that was the only time he's done anything different at all.

He reminds me of the APA in terms of being a fun, likeable character that it's easy to invest in. But the difference is the APA mixed up their schtick a lot. They had their office and they played cards and they had parties and they made fun of Tajiri and they drat-ed at the ladies and they had feuds with a bunch of different guys and sometimes they'd win a tag championship or something.

Adam Rose on the other hand does the same thing over and over with no variation. So it's wearing thin fast.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

He's a cool guy, he likes to party! Wow! Look at his cool party!

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Rose doesn't work in my mind because creative has established nothing that motivates this dude to be a wrestler. Why exactly is he wrestling rather than drinking champagne out of someone's cleavage in a Miami nightclub?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

The problem with Adam Rose is that his gimmick is totally one note right now. All he does is dance to the ring and spout the same line over and over

I SAY US YOU SAY O
WHATS UP
BOOM, BOOM, BOOM
FAHN-DAN-GOOOO
OLE!
WE THE PEOPLE
HURRA HURRA HURRA

There are a ton of one note guys that even if they are good in the ring they come to the ring, say their one line catch phrase and basically do nothing else for months (or years) at a time until Vince decides they get to speak one day at random and then they're forgotten again

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Did you see a giant rabbit follows him around? Wow! Cool!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I SAY US YOU SAY O
WHATS UP
BOOM, BOOM, BOOM
FAHN-DAN-GOOOO
OLE!
WE THE PEOPLE
HURRA HURRA HURRA

There are a ton of one note guys that even if they are good in the ring they come to the ring, say their one line catch phrase and basically do nothing else for months (or years) at a time until Vince decides they get to speak one day at random and then they're forgotten again

Those guys you listed aren't even close to Adam Rose. Adam has literally said the exact same sentence and nothing but that sentence in every single promo he's done since he's premiered. The Uso's occasionally do stuff like that "I'm the better looking twin," thing they did last night, Fandango had a whole storyline going for the last several months even if it was kind of dumb, Swagger has Zeb to talk for him, and Titus O'neil USED to be incredibly colorful and do all kinds of interesting things back when he was in PTP.

Adam has not been one-note due to lack of opportunity to do or say anything like Kofi or R-Truth, he's had plenty of screentime since he got called up. And every time he's had it he's said and done the exact same thing with no variation at all.

Your comparison to Los Matadores is pretty apt though. It's sad that Torito is the only one of those three with any personality beyond his gimmick.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

see i thought i wanted gimmicks where guys were just good wrestlers and liked to fight people but then there's bull dempsey

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
The main issue with Adam Rose, as opposed to other "one-note gimmicks", is everybody else at least gets to wrestle. Adam Rose is having <2 minute non-matches, and some weeks not even that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rollins goes to cash in and Ambrose jumps out of the briefcase.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

pressedbunny posted:

The main issue with Adam Rose, as opposed to other "one-note gimmicks", is everybody else at least gets to wrestle. Adam Rose is having <2 minute non-matches, and some weeks not even that.

Him having longer matches wouldn't help him get over either.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Not that I think they're smart enough to actually be doing this, but really, the most recent PPV before renewal is the most important so if a holding pattern for Battleground is what's needed to maximize Summerslam, you're much better off doing that and having Summerslam/Night of Champions be your big pair instead of Battleground/Summerslam, but again, I think they're just really dumb so it's irrelevant.

Everything that's happened lately makes me think the negative stock reaction and slow acceptance of the network has probably led to Vince/Dunn taking more control than they had in the previous six months or so, which has made the product poo poo again.

Yeah, but you could do this without the laughably bad stuff like the Ambrose/Rollins match being canceled day of. You could just as easily have had, say, Ambrose get arrested on Smackdown or RAW or something and kayfabe miss the PPV because he's in jail somewhere. At least that wouldn't be trolling the audience.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I was not deeply insulted by Rollins/Ambrose not having a real match, but nor was I impressed.

Most years it feels like the gap between May and Summerslam is full of pretty meh shows. And then sometimes the meh continues until January.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I'm just sad because it feels like this PPV is the complete and final turnaround of what I felt around Wrestlemania when I subscribed to the network. Between Bryan, Cesaro, the Wyatts, and the Shield there was an emphasis on newer guys that was really getting me excited even if CM Punk was gone. While they can't control when someone gets injured, the systematic destruction of Cesaro and the way the Wyatts have become less special over the months just feels like we're back to square one all over again!

I mean, they're still pushing all the Shield guys hard, but drat as much as I liked the brawls canceling the match the night of is a pretty disappointing call. Also, Roman Reigns is fine, but it's kind of annoying how it feels like they're getting a little lazy with his buildup and just think "well we want him to be a big star, so we'll already look at him like one and book him in title matches despite the Authority hating him. We also won't use these matches to screw him out or anything to build his feud with the Authority because we already think he's a big star so that should be enough!"

Lazy, stupid, stubborn, and sad.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes I can't get out of bed cuz I'm too sad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Last years Battleground is one of the worse PPVs ever. What the hell were you expecting from this one? It was alright and atlaest they didn't charge 50 bucks for it this time

• Locked thread