Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
As a heads up for anyone looking to switch to US Mobile, there are still a couple of days left in the Black Friday/Cyber Monday special where if you port your number, you get a 100-day free trial instead of a 10-day one. Almost missed out on it but now I can return the SIMs I bought from Amazon :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

demostars posted:

As a heads up for anyone looking to switch to US Mobile, there are still a couple of days left in the Black Friday/Cyber Monday special where if you port your number, you get a 100-day free trial instead of a 10-day one. Almost missed out on it but now I can return the SIMs I bought from Amazon :)

T-Mobile is offering this as well but doesn't seem to require a port-in.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Blurb3947 posted:

T-Mobile is offering this as well but doesn't seem to require a port-in.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

Only " unlocked eSIM compatible phone" eligible

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Visible is running a promo where you can get $15 off of either of their plans for 12 months. Ends up being $15 or $30 a month for their normal or + plan, respectively.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I recently had US Mobile switch me from an eSim to one of their black "Super LTE" physical sims (It's still 5G on Verizon so my service hasn't changed). Chat was super helpful in getting the process started, only issue was speed. Took about 15 hours for the changeover to happen, and for about 12 hours I had no service as the eSim deactivated long before the card activated. From what I've read, it is usually a much quicker process.

Just a heads up in case anyone was thinking of doing the same.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mental Hospitality posted:

I recently had US Mobile switch me from an eSim to one of their black "Super LTE" physical sims (It's still 5G on Verizon so my service hasn't changed). Chat was super helpful in getting the process started, only issue was speed. Took about 15 hours for the changeover to happen, and for about 12 hours I had no service as the eSim deactivated long before the card activated. From what I've read, it is usually a much quicker process.

Just a heads up in case anyone was thinking of doing the same.

Huh I didn't switch from an eSim, but I did use the black sims when switching my lines over from my previous carrier (when we first signed up for US Mobile) and it only took a few minutes. Wonder if something just got hung up.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I recently went on a roadtrip, so I looked for a sim that offer the biggest data sim. What I tried was the Lyca mobile $10.5 per month for 3 months with the 40gb high speed package. You are supposed to get 20gb extra data during the 3 months, but I can't use more than 40gb so I can verify it. Search slickdeals for the promotion link.

The lyca website is archaic and I had to call to active the sim both times. But the speed is pretty okay for my entire orlando roadtrip. It's better than whatever current promotion Mint and Boost are doing now.

You can also get 1 month of service + 1 free phone for $40+ tax from Metro. I think 30gb high speed.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Huh I didn't switch from an eSim, but I did use the black sims when switching my lines over from my previous carrier (when we first signed up for US Mobile) and it only took a few minutes. Wonder if something just got hung up.

Yeah I think it probably just had to get to someone in the system that could do the technical parts of transferring my number off my eSim and into the card. When I originally ported my phone number it only took a few minutes. I just wanted the actual sim card because it makes switching between devices a lot easier. Not totally sold on esims at the moment.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

I recently went on a roadtrip, so I looked for a sim that offer the biggest data sim. What I tried was the Lyca mobile $10.5 per month for 3 months with the 40gb high speed package. You are supposed to get 20gb extra data during the 3 months, but I can't use more than 40gb so I can verify it. Search slickdeals for the promotion link.

The lyca website is archaic and I had to call to active the sim both times. But the speed is pretty okay for my entire orlando roadtrip. It's better than whatever current promotion Mint and Boost are doing now.

You can also get 1 month of service + 1 free phone for $40+ tax from Metro. I think 30gb high speed.

Yea I did this to snag a moto 5g. 6 months after it's activated you can request the unlock, so I got a new fast phone to play with for a month, a wifi device for 5 more, then a neat new 5g phone. Worth the 40 bucks for the trouble IMHO.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm coming up at the end of my current 12-month Mint period. Any recommendations for a different pre-paid carrier? I'm generally pretty happy with Mint but if there's offering out there with more speed/data or lower prices I'm always interested.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea I did this to snag a moto 5g. 6 months after it's activated you can request the unlock, so I got a new fast phone to play with for a month, a wifi device for 5 more, then a neat new 5g phone. Worth the 40 bucks for the trouble IMHO.

I recently try to get a Moto stylus (6.8"/sd695) but they sold out of it. I was very sad because new batch of Metro phones have basically identical spec of the old ones. There is no other good phone except the Moto stylus, I want it as my in car youtube phone.

BTW I booted up the 2 metro phones I got last aug, a 1+ N200 and a REVVL 5V, they all unlocked themselves automatically. I didn't need to go to any setting or call anybody. This is the smoothest unlock procedure ever.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm coming up at the end of my current 12-month Mint period. Any recommendations for a different pre-paid carrier? I'm generally pretty happy with Mint but if there's offering out there with more speed/data or lower prices I'm always interested.

I've been happy with ATT prepaid. wifi call+text, hotspot, 16gb + 1 month rollover for $300 annual. Doesn't seem to get de-prioritized either since its not mvno. Phone has to be semi modern do wifi call to work, had to upgrade to an S10 back like 3 years ago.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to dislike Boost Mobile, but with their $15 per month 5gb plan and the Boost One app, I haven't paid a cent to Boost since the initial payment when I signed up in October and I have enough credits from the Boost One app to be paid up through most of the rest of this year already. It's certainly something to consider if you're on wifi pretty often anyway and don't need a bunch of data. When I do go out though, I usually have 5G and it works fine.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
FYI I just bought a 3 month unlimited boost sim card from Best buy, $35 for 3 months. Activated by mid 2024.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I'm on a US Mobile 100 day free trial (with number port) and it's pretty solid if Verizon has good coverage in the area. The eSIM activation went very smoothly on my Pixel 7 too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I've been using boost infinite 5g for about a month and a half and so far it's been amazing. Well worth the 25 bucks a month.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Hey, what's the cheapest way to try out AT&T's network? Preferably free and eSIM, if that's a thing.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 12, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think new Boost sim (order from Boost online only, not from BB/Amazon/Targey) are ATT sims.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

I believe cricket has an app as well

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've noticed that on US Mobile, when connected to 5GUW (mid-band/c-band), there doesn't seem to be any video throttling. Only tried YouTube so far but I'm able to stream FHD perfectly. Which is really nice because mid band seems to be rolled out basically everywhere around me. Anyone on US Mobile able to corroborate what I'm seeing.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Mental Hospitality posted:

I've noticed that on US Mobile, when connected to 5GUW (mid-band/c-band), there doesn't seem to be any video throttling. Only tried YouTube so far but I'm able to stream FHD perfectly. Which is really nice because mid band seems to be rolled out basically everywhere around me. Anyone on US Mobile able to corroborate what I'm seeing.

I've been testing their unlimited trial and have seen no video throttling but they may not do it on the trial.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Thoughts of US Mobile overall? Does it use both T-Mobile and VZW for data?

Think I may give their free trial a test-run.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

tonic posted:

You have to choose one or the other; it doesn't auto-switch like Google Fi. Wife and I have been using it for a couple of years now with no issues. 2 lines of priority VZW data for less than the cost of a single line of postpaid is a no-brainer for us.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I've used it for a year now for my wife and I and it's been great.

However last night we had power outages from storms and both of us had trouble getting any cell data. It would come and go so I don't think cell towers were off... just likely slammed and I'm guessing US Mobile doesn't get any sort of priority.

Also of note - they do NOT support plans for watches at the moment! So if that's a dealbreaker for you, there ya go.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I've used it for a year now for my wife and I and it's been great.

However last night we had power outages from storms and both of us had trouble getting any cell data. It would come and go so I don't think cell towers were off... just likely slammed and I'm guessing US Mobile doesn't get any sort of priority.

Also of note - they do NOT support plans for watches at the moment! So if that's a dealbreaker for you, there ya go.

Are you using a 5G device on their Verizon network to get priority data?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

astral posted:

Are you using a 5G device on their Verizon network to get priority data?

Yup. Pixel 7

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

What’s the best AT&T MVNO if I just want to buy a small chunk of data each month and not shell out for unlimited? Straight Talk? Cricket?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

tonic posted:

What’s the best AT&T MVNO if I just want to buy a small chunk of data each month and not shell out for unlimited? Straight Talk? Cricket?

How small is small? I use prepaid straight from att $25/mo (1 year paid in advance) for 16gb not de-prioritized. hotspot and wifi calling.

I used cricket before, but wifi calling only worked on phones you bought from them. I don't know if this has changed as its been a couple years since then. Otherwise they were fine.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think red pocket has att option, and they sell annual sim for low end usage.

They have a store on ebay.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

tonic posted:

Been using USM for a while on the 5G Verizon network. It's been fantastic for me. I live where there's mid-band 5G everywhere so it's plenty fast, no problems streaming HD video, and I have 50 gigs of 5G hotspot. Verizon seems to be the only network that works well at my job, so that's a bonus.

I came from Mint and would probably still be using it but for some reason Mint/T-Mobile is just rear end where I work. I'm paying a little more, but it's the closest I've felt to post paid service without paying post paid price.

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe
I just saw an ad for Hello Mobile, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? They have a $5 monthly plan for unlimited talk/text and 500mb of data. As someone who doesn't burn through a lot of data (and will likely be jobn't soon), that's very tempting.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Switched to US Mobile today. Switch was smooth and didn't see any issues. Trying to figure out what this new "5G UW" logo is and if that's a bad thing or not. $25/month including taxes for unlimited text and talk and 30GB of data is too good for me cause I only need like 10 GB.

Note: Pretty sure US Mobile's original deal (the 50 day trial + $50 after 12 months of autopay) comes out better than their Black Friday deal for new customers.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 25, 2023

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
5G UW means you're on 3.5 GHz (n77) or mmWave, either of which should give you faster speeds than other 5G or 4G frequency bands.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Switched to US Mobile today. Switch was smooth and didn't see any issues. Trying to figure out what this new "5G UW" logo is and if that's a bad thing or not. $25/month including taxes for unlimited text and talk and 30GB of data is too good for me cause I only need like 10 GB.

Note: Pretty sure US Mobile's original deal (the 50 day trial + $50 after 12 months of autopay) comes out better than their Black Friday deal for new customers.

US mobile is great. I've been on them for a year (my wife and I) and not a single issue. We had some weirdness during setup and their support is *fantastic*.... I also really like their app/ui. It's fantastic if you need to be on a Verizon MVNO.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

BonoMan posted:

US mobile is great. I've been on them for a year (my wife and I) and not a single issue. We had some weirdness during setup and their support is *fantastic*.... I also really like their app/ui. It's fantastic if you need to be on a Verizon MVNO.

That’s good to hear. I wanted to stick with Verizon cause I had it prior to this and it works perfect at both home and work. For the data I need (10 GB) it basically came down to either Visible for $25 and unlimited data or US Mobile for $25 for 30 GB.

Visible was really tempting because they have a $5/month addon plan for smart watches. My current Apple Watch is non cellular but I’m considering paying the extra for the cellular version next time. So I guess I’ll switch to visible when I get a new Apple Watch.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boris Galerkin posted:

That’s good to hear. I wanted to stick with Verizon cause I had it prior to this and it works perfect at both home and work. For the data I need (10 GB) it basically came down to either Visible for $25 and unlimited data or US Mobile for $25 for 30 GB.

Visible was really tempting because they have a $5/month addon plan for smart watches. My current Apple Watch is non cellular but I’m considering paying the extra for the cellular version next time. So I guess I’ll switch to visible when I get a new Apple Watch.

Yeah cuz uh apparently US Mobile *still* doesn't have any watch plans

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Was thinking about consolidating all the info I found last week/weekend when I was googling about switching to US Mobile and updating the OP because the OP is still talking about Sprint about noticeable phones being the iPhone 5.

Things are very different now and also a lot more simple imo.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
Has anyone here used Mobile X (not twitter, I guess it's some Verizon not-MVNO)? I was trying to find if they have any robust 2FA options to protect your account (FIDO/OAUTH, not SMS/call/email/in-app notification). At the very least account PIN lock to help with SIM swap nonsense.

They didn't have anything listed on their site and, while they tried, the customer service people assured me that they "are not a security software company" and so they "do not have any security measures in place."

I suppose those two things being what they are means that the answer is no to both, but figured I'd see if anyone had first hand experience

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I've been using it for a data only tablet plan, the options under Authentication in the app are:

Sign in methods
  • Email + Password
  • Phone number + PIN
  • Sign in with Google
  • Sign in with Apple
App security
  • Biometric lock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
Thanks for the follow up. I got an email today from a different support person who followed up on my previous conversation explicitly stating they don't have any PIN lock or support for robust 2FA and they are considering adding it soon.

Seems like Ting is still the best combination of cheap + secure for that kind of service that I can find.