Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Tracfone is eventually only going to support the Verizon network, so you might want to keep that in mind when selecting a new phone. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still selling off old stock that's set up to use one of the other networks that Tracfone will only support for a limited time (probably still a couple of years, but you don't want to go through this again so soon, right?).

e: Depending on how the previous phone was acquired/set up, it might be possible that she would also (in addition to the new phone) need a new SIM card. If so, you can get the one for smartphone plans on their official ebay store for $1: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283230124002
Assuming Verizon coverage is good where she lives, she'll want to use the Verizon SIM.

Disclaimer: If your aunt uses the basic phone plans and not the smartphone plans, I don't know if those SIMs work with the basic plans.

e2: Depending on what you're looking for, and as an alternative, HSN, QVC, etc. often sell phone/airtime bundles at reasonable rates to the point where the cheaper phones are basically free with the airtime:
https://www.hsn.com/shop/tracfone/10962

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

MillennialVulcan posted:

I caught a reddit post that indicated you might be able to just replace the SIM card and transfer the phone number. But i don't know if it would work on a phone this old or what kind of SIM card to get.

The 3G networks are being shut down and if her phone doesn't support 4G and VOLTE, then it won't work no matter what SIM card and network your try. Sorry.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Uthor posted:

The 3G networks are being shut down and if her phone doesn't support 4G and VOLTE, then it won't work no matter what SIM card and network your try. Sorry.

Well that simplifies things at least. Thank you guys for the feedback!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
My brother is on my T-Mobile prepaid plan and is getting ready to head over to Scotland/Ireland from the US for a trip. T-Mobile apparently doesn't offer any good options for international calling. Any suggestions on what he should do/look for in terms of SIM when he gets there? He's got some flavor of iPhone X.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Just ordered a sim from Mint, really hoping that the coverage doesn't suck like my last experience with TMobile a decade ago. I spend a lot of time in the middle of nowhere with my job.

For the last month with ATT every time I try and make a call they say my phone will not work anymore before actually placing the call, my autopay is cancelled every month by them, the daily text messages telling me to replace my 3g phone. My phone is on their drat whitelist. The phone is still working fine since last tuesday other than the 30 seconds I have to wait for a call to be placed and them not letting it connect to 5g. Unfortunately I'm paid up until the end of the month, I'm still waiting on my refund from when I switched to prepay a few years ago so I wouldn't expect to get anything if I cancelled early.

Toshimo posted:

My brother is on my T-Mobile prepaid plan and is getting ready to head over to Scotland/Ireland from the US for a trip. T-Mobile apparently doesn't offer any good options for international calling. Any suggestions on what he should do/look for in terms of SIM when he gets there? He's got some flavor of iPhone X.

I picked up a Vodaphone sim for my last trip to Germany, ended up being cheaper than using my international data but took 24 hrs to activate, used apps for calling back to the states when I needed to.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 28, 2022

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
My six month Mint deal is up this month, any deals I can get on to renew it?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

unbuttonedclone posted:

My six month Mint deal is up this month, any deals I can get on to renew it?

Do referral discounts count when renewing? If so I can link mine

Edit: By link I meant PM

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I tried att prepaid last year for about a month, and never ported my number over, just to see how it functioned at my work and it was Real Bad. Since then they've installed Commscope Onecells in our building and am interested in trying att again. Can I just dig out the old prepaid sim and purchase a month and see how well it works? Currently on Mint and T-Mobile service in the building ain't exactly spectacular either. Wifi calling works, but the wifi here is garbage too.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Mental Hospitality posted:

I tried att prepaid last year for about a month, and never ported my number over, just to see how it functioned at my work and it was Real Bad. Since then they've installed Commscope Onecells in our building and am interested in trying att again. Can I just dig out the old prepaid sim and purchase a month and see how well it works? Currently on Mint and T-Mobile service in the building ain't exactly spectacular either. Wifi calling works, but the wifi here is garbage too.

No, you'd need to get a new SIM. Aside from Sprint, which is dead, SIMs have always been "one time use" as far as activations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Last 2 years for 2 people , the best deals to us have been red pocket.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Oh, this thread.

My dad's Ting phone stopped working because it's a cheap 3G flip phone. They are selling a new cheap 4G flip phone. Would the SIM card just pop into the new phone with no problems or will he need to get a special SIM card for 4G?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Was he on a Sprint or a T-Mobile SIM? If a Sprint SIM he will definitely need a new one, though Ting should have reached out to him a while ago about it (though Sprint 3G-only phones did not actually use SIMs). If it was a T-Mobile SIM then yes it should just work by putting it in the new phone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

Was he on a Sprint or a T-Mobile SIM? If a Sprint SIM he will definitely need a new one, though Ting should have reached out to him a while ago about it (though Sprint 3G-only phones did not actually use SIMs). If it was a T-Mobile SIM then yes it should just work by putting it in the new phone.

I'll have to look.

Also, he's old and sick and slowly losing his memories, so I will have to look into it myself, not ask him if he got a random email and what it said.

Thanks.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Any thoughts on US Mobile vs Visible? I'm reaching my breaking point with Verizon price wise, and if I'm not getting device upgrade subsidies I might as well jump ship to a cheaper plan offering. Visible is one plan/all unlimited, but honestly we could do fine with 8-10GB/month on a shared plan, like we're on now. Looks like we'd be at $70/mo on Visible, but could cut it down to $40/month on US Mobile if we stick with a shared data plan/unlimited talk + text.

I'm only using those two as examples, because we've been happy with Verizon's coverage. But we're considering replacing our 4 year old phones soon, and it's either subsidized on VZW unlimited at $135-140/mo plus device payments, or buying outright and keeping our current $107/mo shared plan on VZW.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

PitViper posted:

Any thoughts on US Mobile vs Visible? I'm reaching my breaking point with Verizon price wise, and if I'm not getting device upgrade subsidies I might as well jump ship to a cheaper plan offering. Visible is one plan/all unlimited, but honestly we could do fine with 8-10GB/month on a shared plan, like we're on now. Looks like we'd be at $70/mo on Visible, but could cut it down to $40/month on US Mobile if we stick with a shared data plan/unlimited talk + text.

I'm only using those two as examples, because we've been happy with Verizon's coverage. But we're considering replacing our 4 year old phones soon, and it's either subsidized on VZW unlimited at $135-140/mo plus device payments, or buying outright and keeping our current $107/mo shared plan on VZW.

Wife and I are paying $30/line/mo for US Mobile's unlimited plan and I've been really happy with it so far. 5G-enabled devices get VZW priority data, billing is easy, and service has been stable, notwithstanding a couple Verizon hiccups in our area.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

PitViper posted:

I had Visible about a year ago and it was fine. Your data is lower priority than Verizon customers, which means it could be slow if you're in a congested area.
With Visible's "party pay" you only need to pay $25/line. There is no downside to joining someone else's party to get the lower rate - you are still billed individually when in a party. you can just search reddit or wherever for one of the big visible parties to join.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yeah, the data prioritization is a mild concern for me, and US Mobile was probably my first choice of the pair because they seemed less.... gimmicky? Both of us will probably have 5G devices (Pixel 6 and an iPhone 13 of some sort) and will probably keep them until they're unsupported or unusable. Plus as I said, we're fine with our 8GB shared data plan now, and I like that they don't penalize you for going over, it's just adding data at $2/GB. If we really start using more, their unlimited plans are very reasonable too.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I just dumped Visible for Tello (on T-Mobile) because I basically had no data when I traveled into any city.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I had to get a new phone because the charging port on my Nokia 5.1 plus stopped working and so far I am pretty happy with my new Moto G Stylus 5G (2021) on Metro. Ookla's speed test showed it to be at least 3x faster than my home internet. (Down speed, up speed was about half my Fios speed).

One of the prepaids that runs off of Verizon or ATT would probably be better for speed and coverage. However ATT's network didn't work for poo poo inside of my in-laws house and barely worked outside of the house (I'm just talking about basic 4G cell service). And I've never tried Verizon's network. T-mobile's network however kind of works inside their house if I am near a window or outside of their house.

Basically if you have to go to South Glastonbury, CT frequently Metro by t-mobile is a good bet. It also works well at home in Philly and when I lived in Chicago.

E: I don't think it's around anymore but Virgin Mobile that ran on Sprint's network was total poo poo and I couldn't get service in Cambridge, MA, like right outside of Boston.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 8, 2022

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.hsn.com/products/motorola-moto-g-pure-65-hd-tracfone-with-1500-mintextda/20276450

One year of minutes, data, and text (1500 of each) and a pretty nice Motorola phone for 40 bucks and tax.

It's a TracFone but you can wait up to a year to activate it. Just need a new hsn account and there's a coupon on the top of the page for 20 bucks off your first order.

Got one for a backup phone.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Don't forget to sign up for their referral/rewards program - it's worth an extra 6 months of service or so if you do it right.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I signed my wife and I up for Mint a couple of months ago and I would like to say holy poo poo does it have the worst coverage of anything I've ever used.

We're in the RTP in NC and it has ok coverage, but the *second* you get out of the city it's slow-to-poo poo everywhere.

Definitely going back to something Verizon based (or literally anything not T-Mobile) once this 3 month pre-pay is up. It's abysmal.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

US Mobile has comparable plans to Mint and runs on Verizon towers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YRVKCWR/

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp my phone died tonight, so I need a new one. Last one was a blu g90 and was pretty nice. Would like a replacement that's somewhat near the same. Anyone have any ideas or pointers?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I dropped my phone in sea water recently and still waiting for it to dry, probably will die eventually anyway.

I was looking for phone with largest screen. And found the best bang to the buck to me is a Motorola Edge (2021) New 330 ish used 180 ballpark.

SD 875 something. 6.8" 8gb 256gb

Why 2021 version over 2020 and Edge plus? It has more 4g bands and cheaper.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Am unsubbing from Mint Mobile. Went to turn off auto renew and it says the Primary Member (I'm the primary of the family which is just my wife and I) *cannot* turn off auto-renew.

What? Why wouldn't the account manager be able to do that?

edit: ok found it. In a family plan you cannot have auto renew turned off at all.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Busted a fuckit and just bought a TCL one that had pretty good specs for like $100 less. Will give a trip report when it gets here.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 12, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ok finally switched from Mint Mobile to US Mobile today.

Initial thoughts on the process:

Mint Mobile does not have your account number or PIN *anywhere* on your account management page. You have to call in to get it. I thought it was going to be annoying and they'd try to keep me, but nope. It's very painless.

Also, if you have multiple lines in a family account they each have their own account number and PIN so you have to repeat the process for each line.

The *second* you switch a line away your Mint Mobile page immediately directs to a 404. So if, for whatever reason, there's anything there you need to screencap, etc. Do it first.

Setup on US Mobile was easy and chat support was super quick and helpful with the few issues I did have.

Only downer so far is that my wife is on a Pixel 3a and I'm on a Pixel 6 and they can't use the shared pool feature. You can only use phones with Super LTE and above on the shared data line. Not a deal killer, but oh well.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I was able to get my Mint account information through the support chat bot. It was pretty easy, but still kind of ridiculous you can't just see that information in your account info (on the app anyways).

I really need to get around to giving at&t another go as the TMobile coverage at my work is horrendous. At home I can pull 400mbps on Mint though and hotspot has saved my butt a few times.

Opiumden34
Oct 6, 2014
I was on Straight Talk for a number of years while using one of their AT&T sims. I was pretty happy with AT&T's network coverage where I am (about an hour north of Philly). Tracfone bought Straight Talk and Verizon bought Tracfone, so I switched to using a new ST sim, using Verizon towers, as they bug everyone to switch. I'd like to pay less than the $45 or whatever I'm paying. I'm testing Mint right now, but the trial only have 245 mb of data. If I really want to see how it performs I guess I need to port my number and pay for 3 months. If I want AT&T towers, how is Boost Mobile?

Opiumden34 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 18, 2022

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Opiumden34 posted:

I was on Straight Talk for a number of years while using one of their AT&T sims. I was pretty happy with AT&T's network coverage where I am (about an hour north of Philly). Tracfone bought Straight Talk and Verizon bought Tracfone, so I switched to using a new ST sim, using Verizon towers, as they bug everyone to switch. I'd like to pay less than the $45 or whatever I'm paying. I'm testing Mint right now, but the trial only have 245 mb of data. If I really want to see how it performs I guess I need to port my number and pay for 3 months. If I want AT&T towers, how is Boost Mobile?

Check out prepaid straight from ATT. Paid by the year its $25/mo for 8gb with wifi call/text (on a supported phone, my s10 works) and hotspot and a month of rollover.

edit: oh nice its 16gb/mo on a deal right now. wonder if i can get that :D

Opiumden34
Oct 6, 2014
I see AT&T has a 8 gb $33/month 3-month plan, I don't think I've ever used more than say, 5.3 gb in a month. Being locked in for a year with that $25 plan is a little scary, not that I have a good reason for why it should be.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Ok finally switched from Mint Mobile to US Mobile today.

This got me checking out the US Mobile website today and I decided to give their 10 day trial a go. ESIM let me get started while on my lunch break at work and it seems I'm connected to Verizon which works... surprisingly well here. I did notice that at one point my phone was reporting I was on 5G UC which I thought was strictly T-Mobile, but the ESIM and network info app show me on Verizon. Kind of confused me.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Boogalo posted:

Check out prepaid straight from ATT. Paid by the year its $25/mo for 8gb with wifi call/text (on a supported phone, my s10 works) and hotspot and a month of rollover.

edit: oh nice its 16gb/mo on a deal right now. wonder if i can get that :D

Thanks. Switched from Cricket to save $120 a year.

Opiumden34
Oct 6, 2014
i'm hearing the best way to port a number is get a temporary number, buy the new plan you want, then call to port the number later? Something about making sure the temp number is your local area code? https://slickdeals.net/f/15847180-new-at-t-wireless-prepaid-subscribers-12-month-service-16gb-data-month-300?t=15847180

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

This got me checking out the US Mobile website today and I decided to give their 10 day trial a go. ESIM let me get started while on my lunch break at work and it seems I'm connected to Verizon which works... surprisingly well here. I did notice that at one point my phone was reporting I was on 5G UC which I thought was strictly T-Mobile, but the ESIM and network info app show me on Verizon. Kind of confused me.

Yeah I had to switch because TMobile coverage was just abysmal everywhere except for directly in the city. Verizon is much better.

For the 5G UC thing... do you s till have your other SIM installed? Maybe some accidental crossover?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

BonoMan posted:

For the 5G UC thing... do you s till have your other SIM installed? Maybe some accidental crossover?

I deactivated it in my phone but I might try taking it out completely for a day.

I'm gonna use the trial for a few days and see how it goes, maybe I'll be an ex-Mint user too.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Still playing around with the USMobile trial, it seems perfectly happy letting me stream youtube at 720p/1080p which honestly surprised me. I didn't think any MVNO's allowed better than 480 streaming.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Still playing around with the USMobile trial, it seems perfectly happy letting me stream youtube at 720p/1080p which honestly surprised me. I didn't think any MVNO's allowed better than 480 streaming.

I switched the wife and I to US Mobile from Fi a couple years ago and it's been a fantastic experience so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I switched the wife and I to US Mobile from Fi a couple years ago and it's been a fantastic experience so far.

Well, I switched too. Had a slight issue with porting in my number due to the previous e-sim activation of the trial period. I should have just contacted support from the beginning but thought I could take care of everything myself. Used the chat client on their webpage and they got me sorted out in a few minutes and sent me a new esim activation. Super quick and helpful. Would recommend.

If anyone is using the trial with a new phone number and decides they like the service and want to bring in their old number, save yourself some hassle and just chat with them before the trial period ends. Get your previous carrier account number, pin or password, and they'll handle it quick.

The Verizon coverage where I live and work is fantastic. I even get 5G UW in my bedroom upstairs.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 26, 2022