Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Cool, might go with the target deal. Seems like a decent enough price.

Side note, anyone want a nokia 521 for kinda cheap? Thinking of upgrading to another phone and I don't need this one laying around if I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've asked em about it, and the streaming stuff is apparently available on the dork plan.

It's also through the resellers through tmobile as well, or at least from harbor mobile.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ok, potentially dumb question here, but when I upgrade to a new phone or swap phones on the tmobile account, all I have to do is pop the sim card into the new phone, right?

I can't seem to find anything online on the site that says "enter new info" or whatever, so I'm a bit confused. Not used to having options for sim cards.

In other news, holy gently caress this nokia 920 is a loving brick of a phone. I could probably kill someone with this thing and not smash the glass.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cool.

Having some trouble with the phone though, which sucks. Seems to lose signal like crazy, and just randomly decides "No Service" and "OH poo poo WE HAULIN rear end NOW" on data when I am sitting on the couch. loving weird.

Been tweaking the settings a bit and talking with the support guys at tmobile. Hoping we can get this resolved because I don't really want to go through the hassle of returning this thing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just discovered https://www.freedompop.com , and apparently it's a decent deal.

FREE 200 mins and 500 megs of data, OR you can buy unlimited mins and txt for 11$ a month.

Dunno if it's great, bad, horrible, whatever, but hey, ya get what ya pay for.

Thought I'd throw it out there for anyone curious.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Samsung Galaxy Light for T-Mobile seems to be a decent phone for about 120$ (via amazon), anything in the neighborhood that blows it out of the water for about the same price?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eh, the E looks cool but it doesn't have LTE. The G looks awesome but it's 100$ more.

I'll dig around and see if I can find a coupon though :)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, gently caress.

Eh, comparing the 2 they seem pretty much identical except for small stuff like bluetooth 2.1 vs 4.0 and the samsung being able to use a 64gb card and the Moto being able to use a 32gb one.

Moto has a better screen though, simply because of pixel density, and dammit that makes me kinda sad.

I'll learn to live with it though. That's a hell of a deal on the phone. Kinda wish I'd have known about it before I pulled the trigger on the one I have coming in.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
God drat the hits keep coming.

Tmobile has the samsung galaxy light on sale on their website at the moment for 99$.

I just got mine in a few hours ago and while it was 20$ more (:argh:) it's so far, a pretty decent phone.

Downside is I miss live tiles for stuff, and I can't seem to move my messages from windows to android, but was able to move them from android to windows pretty easily.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know much about Straight Talk?

My mom recently got on there with an android phone, but for some reason she can't get picture messages. She can get emoji and all that jazz, but not pics of stuff that I send her.

Keeps telling her it's expired.

Any ideas?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thinking of heading to cricket from T-Mobile. I'm on the 40 buck plan, but I was a tard and somehow in my brain 3g became 3gb. Not 1gb.

Completely my fault, but I don't like only having a gig to play with, and it seems like cricket has a bigger service area.

So, are there any bad points to them I need to know about before swapping or any special deals? I was going to just port my number over. Probably go to Walmart and get a phone.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What's wrong with your current phone?

Also, here's a referral for you if you want it.

According to the website it'll only get 3g with em. It gets 4g lte on T-Mobile but I figured what the hell, it's been a while since I've upgraded my cell.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can you buy the sim cards at Walmart by themselves?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That was another reason I was thinking of buying a new phone :)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp, Walmart didn't have any cricket stuff, so I'm heading to the not local cricket store because it was the only one with a phone number on the website.

There is a back to school sale going, so that means I can get the galaxy prime for the same price as Walmart. Might be a 5 dollar activation fee but eh, gently caress it.

Maybe by tonight I can have a new phone and more data! Yay!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
New phone. Bigger than the old Samsung but pretty awesome.

Pros -
FAST data, like 8mb downstream in my town fast. I was getting 1-3mb down on tmobile.
More data (had 1 gig, now have 2.5 gigs to burn through)
Fairly easy to port the number over (although, I haven't had a call come in yet on the new one, but I can call out)

Cons -
Paid the bullshit 25$ activation fee cause gently caress it I needed a phone tonight because my tmobile plan was gonna start over tomorrow and I didn't wanna throw 40$ at it.
Uncomfortable as gently caress metal stools at the store

All in all, if it holds up speed wise and actually works in MS where I need to go, then this is a damned good phone.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got the galaxy prime when I signed up, and it's pretty awesome.

Downside is it won't work where my mom is at, even though the entire goddamn zipcode is in green.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Weird question, but can any straight talk phone work in any straight talk area?

Reason I ask is that's the ONLY carrier that works where my mom lives, but the selection of phones on the website for her zip is kinda horrible, whereas the selection for my area is a lot better.

Thinking of upgrading her, but didn't wanna waste the cash if it's some kinda weird regional lock for the handsets.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How does one go about figuring out what service covers what area?

I don't think it's verizon, because the girlfriend's verizon phone didn't work up there. I know it's not tmobile cause my phone didn't work up there, and the at&t repair guy's at&t phone didn't work up there either.

It's like some hosed up magical mystery spot where only certain lovely things work, like ghetto prepaid phones.

She was on tracphone for a while, and moved to straight talk, if that helps.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I had tethering on my samsung galaxy prime or whatever it was on tmobile, but I don't have it on the galaxy core whatsis I got from cricket.

Kinda sucks.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is the galaxy grand prime thing from cricket rootable?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what Knox is.

That being said I'm just hoping to get tethering back as an option. I didn't use it often but it was helpful now and again.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I have the galaxy prime whatever they offer. It's a pretty decent phone. 4g LTE and has a fair amount of space on it (before you add an sd card).

I think when I started it was like 125$? but now I think it's a free phone you can choose.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm in La and it's working fine.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Weird. Mine's down now. Data seems to be working but that's about it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's back up and going for me. Got the text I sent to myself yesterday at 5:27 this morning.

If this becomes a regular thing, then yea I'm gonna bail, but a it stands it's not that big of a hassle for me personally.

No idea if the txts work by wifi or not, didn't think to try.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I'm in a cricket outage. Not really surprising since we got like 2' of rain in the last few days. Here's hoping they get it fixed soon.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's possible, but the phone was working great until about 5am.

They said there's a weather related issue (meaning poo poo flooded somewhere), so hopefully it'll be back up and rolling soon. I think AT&T is completely out here as well.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to upgrade my Samsung grand galaxy prime or whatever it's called. Anyone know of a good, cheap phone that has some decent on-board storage space and does 4glte and works on cricket?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
100-150$ or so.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gave my mom my unlocked samsung from cricket so she could use it, so she's talking with the straight talk people now, since they have a BYOP setup.

Here's hoping it works where she's at.

Anyone know if the customer service people are decent or is it like sprint levels of nightmare when calling?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Weird. My old phone isn't detecting the new sim or doing the INVALID SIM FUCKER where it pops up the box to unlock it. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm on cricket, but I can't seem to send mp4 files in chomp SMS. Anyone have any ideas on why or how it is allowed? They are fairly small, 300k or so.

Edit - Apparently the Messenger app works with the mp4s but the chompsms app I paid for doesn't, which kinda sucks. Ah well.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 9, 2017

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Never. You'll have to pry my dank memes from my cold, lonely, dead hands.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What are some of the apps? I genuinely don't know any others. Handcent was a bit hosed up, so I moved to Chomp, and I moved to Messages since Chomp wouldn't send the mms.

I dunno what kind of limit Cricket has on file size, but I'm always open to trying other apps that do better stuff.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, what are some other apps to use to send that other mystery format of goofy pics to my friends?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Always thought Skype was a video call thing.

Appreciate the recommendations. Might go for Facebook messenger. Does it eat battery life like the Facebook app does?

I'm literally not trying to troll out anything with regards to this, I honestly have only used mms for pics n poo poo and hearing there's different options is news to me.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think there's like a 10$ a month fee for hotspotting.

I know on my moto g4 play when I go to the hotspot option under settings I get a notification to go add it to my account in order to use it. Kinda sucks.

Haven't tried an app to bypass it though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any new good deals?

I'm on cricket at the moment with the $50 8?gb plan. Just wondering if anyone has a better deal for next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else having some issues with cricket and mms? I did a firmware update, and now I can't send or receive mms.

This has completely killed my dick pic game :saddowns: