Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I just got Cricket on my new phone (Moto X) and it's probably just the phone, but it gets exceptional signal (way better than my M7). Fast too. The 10GB of data per month is an amazing deal. Real glad I went with Cricket over MetroPCS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

How common are outages on Cricket and when do they usually occur? I've only had their service a week.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

There's actually a Cricket store about 5 minutes from my house. I went there on a Monday and the lone employee working there (the store had just opened up a few weeks earlier) had my account and phone set up in about 15 minutes. It was honestly the best experience I've ever had in a cell phone store.

I think it cost more than ordering a sim online, but it was way convenient.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Another southeast Michigan goon here and Cricket speeds tanked yesterday. I don't know about today as I've been on wifi all day.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Still hosed up in Detroit. 350kbps and ~30% packet loss according to that FCC app.

E: Can't even get Pandora to stream now. Making a real bad first impression Cricket.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 14, 2014

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Speedtest measured 60kbps download, then gave a network error. Haha.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

3G: 2.72Mbps/1.31Mbps, 141ms, 3.7% packet loss
LTE: Failed/66.38Kbps, 119ms, 31.03% packet loss.

Thanks for this, flying on what must be hspa+ now. Actually pulled 3.1mbps down just now. Wonder what the gently caress happened to their LTE?

E: might just leave it on hspa+ for a while. Does it use less battery than LTE?

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 14, 2014

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

Soundcloud couldn't play my songs on cricket today. I thought it was because i switched phones but now with all these posts...

If your LTE has crawled to an unusable speed like mine, you can have the phone use 3g/hspa instead by changing the preferred network type under mobile network settings (if you're on android, don't know about iPhones).

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Weird my z3c doesn't have that option.

Try gsm only. On my moto x, I actually had to choose wcdma to get it to switch to hspa+. It was either that or 2g Edge. Just experiment a bit because it looks to be phone dependent.

Of course, this shouldn't have to be an issue if LTE was working right.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

LTE is back to full speed 8mbps here in Detroit metro as of 1:15am. Hopefully it sticks.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I don't regret opting for the 10GB a month plan. I look to be on track to use about 8 gigs before the next billing cycle. Crickets been real awesome save for those recent couple days where the data went to poo poo. I just could not stream any music or videos those days. I'll certainly be sticking with the pro plan for the foreseeable future.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

TraderStav posted:

My issue with t mobile in Detroit was building penetration. At my building downtown or in a hospital in Novi I was completely dead. However that was a few years ago, maybe it's worth another try. They do have the daily plans. What plan do you have now?

For what its worth, neither AT&T nor Cricket work in my hospital (also a Detroit goon), but that probably has more to do with being on the ground floor in radiology and all the shielding in the walls. Works great once you go up a couple floors.

E: Drove past a GoSmart Mobile store today. They look to be a T-Mobile MVNO. 45 dollars a month gets you unlimited calling, text, and data with the first 10GB at 3G(?!) speeds. But they offer free access to Facebook and all those annoying embedded videos on your feed at LTE speed(?!x2) Kind of weird, but I had never heard of this one.

https://www.gosmartmobile.com/

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 23, 2014

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

When my speeds on Cricket tank its usually during prime time hours (6pm-11pm eastern time). And when it gets bad, it gets real bad; horrible ping/200kbps bad. Tonight it has been reaching 8mbps just fine though.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is anybody else having trouble with Cricket at the moment? My phone is showing full bars, but the little ! symbol next to them which means that something is up. Long Island, New York. Just wondering if this is a cricket/ATT problem or just me.

Might be a local problem for you, mines fine (in Michigan, several hundred miles away). Cycling airplane mode on/off doesn't help?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

So I'm taking my friend to a Cricket store Thursday to shop for her first smartphone. She's in her late 50's and currently has an ancient dumphone with a dying battery and is spending way too much for whatever big name carrier she uses. She'd like to spend less than 100 dollars (and buy new) on the phone, are any of the cheapy Cricket phones not terrible? It looks like they have a deal on the Lumia 635, having never used a Windows phone do you guys think it would be a good option for a first time smartphone user?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

I think they have a deal on the Moto E, possibly.

Good call on the Moto E, they sold it to my friend for 49.99 plus a 25 dollar activation fee. I think it was a good buy compared to one of the low end ZTE phones. From the little bit I played around with it, it should be a stellar first-time smartphone.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

A sad day. For the first time in the 15 months I've been on Cricket, I hit the 10GB high speed data limit 3 days before my next billing cycle. This sucks.

I'm kind of surprised really, I don't know how it happened. Maybe because I got a new Nexus 6 I was unknowingly splurging with my video watching...?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I had no idea there was a cricket outage yesterday. I was on wifi all day but I was still getting texts (do those still go through cellular service when on wifi?)

When I first got Cricket 2 years ago, I and a few other people were having terrible data speeds (less than 256kbps) intermittently over the course of a month or so. I was close to ditching them when it returned to normal and has been dead reliable since (I guess until yesterday that is).

I do like having unlimited high(ish) speed data for the first time ever. I just switched over to their top plan and used 7 gigabytes last week streaming HD video and listening to Play Music stations. I used to use 7GB a month. Amazing how not having data anxiety affects usage.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

revwinnebago posted:

2) So the Unlimited 2 plan at $80 is the same price as the 2x$50 plans ($100 - $5 autopay - $10 line discount)... and you get 22GB of less-than-highspeed compared to the regular plan's 8GB of actual-highspeed? I'm not sure I see the value. Am I missing something?

I don't think Cricket has an 8GB plan anymore. It goes 5GB for $40 ($35 with auto pay), then Unlimited 2 for $55 ($50 with auto pay, 22GB of terrible 3mbps speed), followed lastly with Unlimited @ $60 ($55 w/autopay, 22GB at 8mbps which let's you stream HD). I don't think the group discounts for multiple lines is combinable with the autopay discount either. So if you just need two lines of slow data and don't want to have to worry about hitting a cap, it's kind of a value.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 30, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MetroPCS is becoming Metro by T-Mobile and they've got new plans and things!

Yep, the 60 dollar a month plan includes 100GB of Google storage, Amazon Prime, 15GB of mobile hotspot and 35GB of high speed data. Video streaming seems to be capped at 480p which is kind of poo poo. Maybe this will spur Cricket to enhance their plans.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

But the difference in price between the $50 plan and the $60 plan is the exact price (well, within a dollar per year) of a prime membership. So it could be read as “buy our $50 plan and a Prime membership and get 10GB more hotspot data”.

Someone on Android Police said Amazon will credit people that already paid for Prime and switch to this new Metro plan. Not sure how true that is. I think looking at strictly 60 dollar unlimited pre-paid plans, this has a lot more going for it compared to Crickets $60 unlimited plan (mainly 120 dollars in Prime savings and a mobile hotspot).

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Still happy with the Unlimited Cricket plan I've been using for a few years now. $55 a month with 23GB at 8mbps of which I usually use 15-20 a month. I guess they've made their unlimited plans worse since I first got it?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Mint users: How are you liking your service? I have a $55/mo Unlimited Max plan through Cricket Wireless which was great when I used to stream 20GB of video a month on my phone, but for all of 2020 it's been less than 5GB/mo. Just looking to save some money (and give the T-Mobile network a try).

Are data speeds acceptable? Cricket maxed out at 8mbps so if it's around there I'm fine.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

astral posted:

Your best bet would be to get a $1 starter kit from Amazon and do a bunch of speed tests with the trial SIM to get a feel for the speeds in your area at various times:
https://www.amazon.com/Mint-Mobile-Starter-Verify-Compatibility/dp/B0786RD524/

Speedtest.net, at least, seemed to be whitelisted and not count towards the 100MB.

Hey neat. I didn't know those were a thing. I have a dollar!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Switched to Mint two days ago after about 6 years on Cricket. Activation and number port were super quick and simple. Service in Metro Detroit seems great so far. I get signal at work in places I didn't with Cricket. Data speeds seem to be about 15-20mbps on average (Cricket was capped at 8). VoLTE, VoWIFI and HD call audio is all working on my OnePlus 7 Pro which I didn't even know was a thing because it was just never there with Cricket.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've heard AT&T nvmo's are a lot more reliable the further you get away from larger population centers. Would have no problem recommending Cricket if that network works best.

I forgot I bought my Mint sim during a promotion, so my 3 months of 12GB is now actually 6 months with 15GB of data. Not bad for $75.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Generally satisfied with my download speeds on Mint.

:devil:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

AT&T prepaid is offering their Unlimited Plus plan for 50 bucks a month with autopay for new customers. Thinking of trying it out. Mint has been a great value but my data at work has been abysmally slow way too often. My old cricket plan at 8mbps often worked much better. Around my home, Mint has amazing speed. Which...doesn't do me much good since I'm home and on wifi most of the time.

https://www.att.com/prepaid/deals/

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

So about AT&T Prepaid:

They overnighted the sim to me which was very nice.

Insert sim, no service. No number. Not just my port, but not even a new number.
One of the instruction booklets says to dial in a plan code. I do that, wizardry happens and my phone says to shut down for 10 minutes and restart.
Still no service.
Go to online sim activation page. Receive an error stating the sim has been activated.
Check AT&T port status website, it says my number has been ported and will be complete upon sim activation.
Try to go to att.com/myprepaid and can't login because it doesn't recognize my phone number, and I have no pin or password.
Phone is prompting me to login to the AT&T network, which sometimes reliably just loads the sim activation page which still returns an error saying the sim is already active.
Can't call Activation/Port support because, well no service. Call won't go through.

How on earth can Mint make setting up a new account and porting a number take all of 3 minutes and AT&T is so backwards?

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 16, 2021

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

BonoMan posted:

AT&T is literally the worst at everything they ever attempt to do.

This is becoming quite apparent to me. Even the instructions they sent with the sim contradict themselves. I'll visit a store tomorrow and see if they can figure it out, if not I'll look into something else. Absolutely amazed at how poorly this carrier functions.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I actually just renewed my Mint for another 3 months. I gave AT&T prepaid a one month trial. It seemed to have superior data speeds and building penetration (especially at my work in a large downtown city). BUT, on multiple days it just flat out refused to place calls. 3G, 4G, 5G...I'd try to place a call a half dozen times in a row and only get some automated jingle "sorry, we are unable to blah blah blah..." Wifi calling didn't seem to be a thing that ever worked with AT&T that I could tell, worked most of the time on Mint.

I'll miss AT&T's super fast data speeds, but at the end of the day I need my phone to make calls reliably, and Mint has done a much better job of that.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I tried att prepaid last year for about a month, and never ported my number over, just to see how it functioned at my work and it was Real Bad. Since then they've installed Commscope Onecells in our building and am interested in trying att again. Can I just dig out the old prepaid sim and purchase a month and see how well it works? Currently on Mint and T-Mobile service in the building ain't exactly spectacular either. Wifi calling works, but the wifi here is garbage too.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I was able to get my Mint account information through the support chat bot. It was pretty easy, but still kind of ridiculous you can't just see that information in your account info (on the app anyways).

I really need to get around to giving at&t another go as the TMobile coverage at my work is horrendous. At home I can pull 400mbps on Mint though and hotspot has saved my butt a few times.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Ok finally switched from Mint Mobile to US Mobile today.

This got me checking out the US Mobile website today and I decided to give their 10 day trial a go. ESIM let me get started while on my lunch break at work and it seems I'm connected to Verizon which works... surprisingly well here. I did notice that at one point my phone was reporting I was on 5G UC which I thought was strictly T-Mobile, but the ESIM and network info app show me on Verizon. Kind of confused me.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

BonoMan posted:

For the 5G UC thing... do you s till have your other SIM installed? Maybe some accidental crossover?

I deactivated it in my phone but I might try taking it out completely for a day.

I'm gonna use the trial for a few days and see how it goes, maybe I'll be an ex-Mint user too.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Still playing around with the USMobile trial, it seems perfectly happy letting me stream youtube at 720p/1080p which honestly surprised me. I didn't think any MVNO's allowed better than 480 streaming.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I switched the wife and I to US Mobile from Fi a couple years ago and it's been a fantastic experience so far.

Well, I switched too. Had a slight issue with porting in my number due to the previous e-sim activation of the trial period. I should have just contacted support from the beginning but thought I could take care of everything myself. Used the chat client on their webpage and they got me sorted out in a few minutes and sent me a new esim activation. Super quick and helpful. Would recommend.

If anyone is using the trial with a new phone number and decides they like the service and want to bring in their old number, save yourself some hassle and just chat with them before the trial period ends. Get your previous carrier account number, pin or password, and they'll handle it quick.

The Verizon coverage where I live and work is fantastic. I even get 5G UW in my bedroom upstairs.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 26, 2022

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I recently had US Mobile switch me from an eSim to one of their black "Super LTE" physical sims (It's still 5G on Verizon so my service hasn't changed). Chat was super helpful in getting the process started, only issue was speed. Took about 15 hours for the changeover to happen, and for about 12 hours I had no service as the eSim deactivated long before the card activated. From what I've read, it is usually a much quicker process.

Just a heads up in case anyone was thinking of doing the same.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Huh I didn't switch from an eSim, but I did use the black sims when switching my lines over from my previous carrier (when we first signed up for US Mobile) and it only took a few minutes. Wonder if something just got hung up.

Yeah I think it probably just had to get to someone in the system that could do the technical parts of transferring my number off my eSim and into the card. When I originally ported my phone number it only took a few minutes. I just wanted the actual sim card because it makes switching between devices a lot easier. Not totally sold on esims at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've noticed that on US Mobile, when connected to 5GUW (mid-band/c-band), there doesn't seem to be any video throttling. Only tried YouTube so far but I'm able to stream FHD perfectly. Which is really nice because mid band seems to be rolled out basically everywhere around me. Anyone on US Mobile able to corroborate what I'm seeing.