Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Looking for a goon on cricket who wants a referral bonus. I'm switching to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

SB35 posted:

I'd be happy to help you out with that. Doesn't look like you get PMs though. Send me a quick email
sa.sb35 at a popular email service from google. I don't wanna go around spamming this thread with referral links.

I'm an idiot and finally remembered to check their coverage areas. They don't have service in my area :smith:

It looks like my best bet for GSM with LTE here is Net10 or ATT. I'm not sure it's worth fighting net10 customer service to save $15/mo on a 3GB plan. I've read the horror stories about trying to get things fixed, but my old roommate never had a problem with them. For being a popular college town, Charlottesville has crap for service. Sprint still doesn't have 4g here and that's why I'm switching from Ntelos.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

SB35 posted:

He must've been looking at the old CDMA maps.

This is exactly what happened. I did a quick final check on coverage maps before ordering the sim and got stuck on the CDMA map on accident. I thought I was going crazy since coverage is one of the first things I check before even looking at rate plans. It spooked me since I did all of the research, decided on cricket, bought a shiny new Moto X, went to order sim and saw no service in area. You should get an email in a few.

(I'm still an idiot)

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 22, 2015

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Transferring to cricket is going great. Ntelos immediately released my number and closed the line on Wednesday night, and my SIM kit won't be here until Monday. I called to yell at Ntelos, and they said they said the number was already released due to the port request, but cricket's site says my old phone should stay active until I activate the sim. I'm not sure who screwed up, but will just have to wait it out it.

Doing this all during the last week before my house closes was a fantastic idea on my part. :downs:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Venkmanologist posted:

drat Cricket keeps getting better and better. When the hell did this happen?

:stare:

My cricket number port went through earlier this week and everything is up and running but I didn't know about the promo and wonder if I got it. Looks like I switched at a very good time anyways.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Venkmanologist posted:

I use the basic plan and when I checked my usage on the Cricket iPhone app, my account limit is still at 1GB. While the 'Advanced' plan appears to be a limited time promotion, the others appear to be new standards. I'm sure everyone's base data allotment (except for the Pro plan) will get bumped at the next billing cycle.

Someone please post details in here if you call and find out more.

I probably missed out on the number port and new activation deals, but was able to change my plan up to the 20GB on the website without a hassle. If you go to the change plan page, it has the updated data numbers and shows 2.5GB data for basic.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Cricket's 5 megabit is still a lot better than the ntelos unlimited 3g at 30kb/sec(on a good day) i was paying $80 a month for before. Also faster than the 4Mb DSL at my parents house. Pretty cool to get internet through the air faster than most of the county can get through wire. :science:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

When I switched from ntelos, the magic happened when I ordered the sim, so I was without phone for a few days while I waited for it to arrive. I blame ntelos for being awful.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Volkerball posted:

Does anyone know how to turn off that stupid setting on the Moto e lte that makes your camera turn on if your phone rotates 90 degrees twice?

That should be in the Moto app, under settings>actions.

That's where it is on my Moto X. Assuming its the same for the G and E.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

We have two monitor/alert servers at work, both send mail to a contact in exchange with my cricket mms address in it. One server's alerts come through just fine, the other's do not. It worked fine before I factory wiped my phone due to a failed root. :iiam:

:hfive: fellow X Pure folks.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 29, 2015

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Someone might correct me, but the one drawback of using google voice like that is MMS won't work.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I got a nice text from cricket saying they're updating the privacy policy so they can share all of your info with ATT. Incoming U-Verse junkmail.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I didn't get texts for a while but they started coming in a few minutes ago

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My guess it that not enough people abuse it to warranty a policy change.

You can reset your data by changing up, then changing back. It prorates for each change and you can change twice a month I think.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My dad has an old fliphone and a pay $.10 per minute plan on sprint I think. Not sure of the details but he switched back to it from our family plan a couple years ago so stuff like that definitely exists and is available.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Last I heard, MMS didn't work if you ported your number to google voice.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My only issue moving from ntelos to cricket was I ordered the sim on cricket's website and they immediately ported the number so I was without phone until the sim arrived in a couple of days. A coworker moved from verizon and something got super hosed up with his cricket account to the point it had to go all the way to a database engineer before his stuff worked.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm on a cricket 8gb/$50 plan and didn't realize they had nuked it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I would switch to it in a heartbeat just to get my prime reimbursed by work since they cover my phone, but t-mobile network is lovely here :(.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Thats a steal. Too bad tmobile is crap in my area :( Though at $20 less for 10gb what I'm paying for 8, I might give them another chance.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kraps posted:

OK I'm getting pretty sick of not being able to use wifi-calling on Cricket, any recommendations for a replacement? I have an unlocked Moto Z Play.

My coworker switched to Mint and he's been happy with it. They are pretty cheap, run on tmobile, and have wifi calling.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

In my experience, wifi calling on cricket only works with phones bought from them.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

From Cricket's setup page: https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/mobile-wifi/wifi-calling-capable-phones.html

quote:

Note: For Wi-Fi Calling capable phones not purchased at Cricket, Wi-Fi Calling will not work on Android. It will work on iOS.

The option for wifi calling is just not there for me on a galaxy s7 with cricket sim. On a Mint sim it showed up and worked. It working on iOS just makes me thing they're being dicks and not enabling it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

BonoMan posted:

Did you buy that Galaxy S7 from Cricket?

No, its an unlocked from Samsung phone. Carrier agnostic. I think I'm using that term correctly.

So its (not)working as expected.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

BonoMan posted:

Yeah that's interesting that it would work on all iOS phones but only Android phones bought from them. Although it's probably less them being dicks and more that they, with Android fragmentation, can only ensure it works on devices they personally sell and therefore test/guarantee.

Or not since other carriers do it. Who knows. Goddamn sometimes I hate technology.

Now they can even block devices when you simply install a sim in a device that's not on their approved devices list, in addition to locking out whatever features they want. My coworker had cricket and got a Moto G6, but it plain wouldn't work, it was blocked entirely and support was zero help. His earlier phone supported wifi hotspot, but putting in a cricket sim disabled it, even though my Moto X was also on cricket and allowed hotspot. Neither of us actually paid for the feature.

Its getting very stupid.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

tino posted:

You never had control of the hotspot function unless your phone is rooted/jailbroken. This is always the case.

Neither my Moto X or Galaxy 7 are rooted and hotspot works just fine. I don't know if its because cricket just didn't bother to disable it on them, or why they singled out the specific model of my coworker's phone to disable.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Feck, I escaped sprint years ago and just recently switched to t-mobile.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Uthor posted:

I made a note to go to the AT&T store when my current month is up and switch, but also noticed that there's an online only deal of $25/month for the first year if you prepay for the entire year. Hmm...

How much data for that $25?. Mint has a similar thing (tmo mvno) $25 a month for a year of 12GB/mo data plus hotspot and wifi call/sms byod.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

If you like tmobile, check out mint. They have deep discounts for plans bought by the year. I'm on 12GB for $300 (25/mo) i think its $15 for 3gb. Includes tethering.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Thats tempting. I have the $25/month for 12gb mint prepaid but tmobile just bought sprint and my throttling in busy areas has made the service useless when I go to an event. I didn't have this problem when I was on cricket since it seems that ATT isn't as congested as it once was from it being the only network with iphones.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Mint's coverage was to terrible in my area so I switched to ATT's $300 for 8gb/month +1 month rollover +hotspot plan. I was on cricket before mint and switched so wifi calling would work. Everyone I talked to with support said wifi calling would work with my phone but I'm figuring out after the switch it just plain doesn't unless you have an ATT device. Fuckers. Setting up google voice for voicemail is also blocked on their prepaid plans.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The other catch is att prepaid doesnt work with wifi calling or google voice unless you're using a phone you transferred from one of their post paid plans. I did the $25/month for 8gb +1 month rollover paid yearly and got hella burned. Lots of time on the phone got me nowhere, not even a easy cancel for refund even though they said when i was buying that it would work.

I liked mint, wifi call and text worked but tmobile was good around where i live, but complete trash in the places i regularly travel and while i was on cricket (att prepaid) the service area was great but you couldn't wifi call without using a device bought from them

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I should clarify, I only use google voicemail. Everything else I used carrier networks and builtin android features. Did not use google voice for text or calls.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The newer phones seems to work fine, but i have an S7 and it won't work just because they won't let it. Gotta start shopping for a used S10 or something which does kinda pay for itself since the actual plans are so cheap.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I used mint for a year and while i was happy with speeds at home, as soon as I left town things went to poo poo, especially in the 2-3 places i go to out of state every year. It was great for wifi calling and text though in my basement office at work with no signal.

I switched to the ATT prepaid who said wifi calling would work with my phone but it doesn't, along with google voicemail forwarding not working. Price is the same but att has 1 month of rollover and faster speeds. Good thing I'm both not in the office and not traveling this year I guess. In general I found the ATT network much more widespread and reliable than mint/tmo.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Had cricket before and coverage was good but no wifi calling. I was very happy with mint at home especially the easy wifi text and calling just sadly they didn't have good service in the places I regularly traveled like the long stretches of road between large cities in VA. Since switched to ATT proper for some higher speeds they hosed me on wifi calling and I miss it (also google voicemail doesn't work)

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

ATT is at least the same deal as cricket. $300 for a year of 8GB plus hotspot plus 1 month of rollover but without the 8megabit cap. WiFi calling will supposedly work if you have a specific phone model.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Last year I Switched to the $300/yr prepaid on att, but they wouldn't give me wifi calling on my s7 even thought it worked on mint. So after slimming for a year I upgraded to a refurb S10 and wifi calling and Google voicemail worked out of the box. Yay.

So yeah, att prepaid is my perfect carrier for now. 8gb plus 8gb rollover, hotspot, wifi calling, for $25/month of you pay by the year.

Previously I was on cricket but they wouldn't do wifi calling unless you had a cricket phone, then I tried mint and wifi worked but TMobile is terrible in all the places I travel, so I tried att since their service is better.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Mental Hospitality posted:

AT&T prepaid is offering their Unlimited Plus plan for 50 bucks a month with autopay for new customers. Thinking of trying it out. Mint has been a great value but my data at work has been abysmally slow way too often. My old cricket plan at 8mbps often worked much better. Around my home, Mint has amazing speed. Which...doesn't do me much good since I'm home and on wifi most of the time.

https://www.att.com/prepaid/deals/

Seems like a good deal if ATT is good for you. At least I just did the experiment to confirm wifi calling and text works with approved non-carrier phones. :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I do vaguely remember going through about 3 sims with both mint and ATT when switching cricket>mint>att. Got a trial sim to test coverage, then hosed up setting u[p the full version sim, then they sent me another then I finally ported my number which was locked up since it had at one point been on cricket and flagged weirdly. Switching carriers every 1-2 years has left me with a pile of sims I keep in a bottlecap on my desk for some reason I like the collection until the cat knocks it over and they go everywhere.