Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't know where to post it so I thought I would post it here. Used to be a regular poster in the prepaid thread 1 or 2 id ago.

Currently I am on various ATT cheap NVMOs (red pocket). Been using a Honor Note 10 for a couple years (only work on ATT carriers in the US). Really happy with its giant screen. Camera is whatever but I have many other camera options.

Anyway I am getting into phone emulation game recently and want to get a phone fast enough to run Switch emulation. After some research here is what I found for the top cheap gaming phones in the YOTL mid 2021.

If you don't need the sd card slot, Mediatek 1200 platform is really cheap. There are only 2 phones,
$370 Xiaomi K40 Gaming Edtion (12gb/128gb, $370 on ebay)
$300 Realme GT Neo (8/128/$300 12/256/$370 on aliexpress), there is a really good looking yellow version for $400.
Both should have google app support and meh carrier signals.

However if you want sd card support, I realize nowadays only models that specialize in bang-to-the-mother-loving-buck ratio will give you that the sd slot and the 3.5mm jack. So again only a few options left.

$300 Poco X3 Pro, 8/256 on newegg, Snapdragon 860, decent 4G GSM support
$350 Motorola Edge S (8/128/$350 aliexpress) Snapdragon 870, very good 4G support, covers almost every Tmo and ATT band

Alternately, you can get a Zenfone 7 or Samsung S20+, 1 yr old flagship both around $500-600 refurb. Both supports sd card.

It seems to me the Snapdragon flagship (888) SOC carry a huge markup, I would say around $100 overpriced. However if you move the benchmark slightly below flagship you get phones that priced very competitively against other top spec SOC. That has been the case for smartphone for a few years.

I am going to get either the Poco X3 Pro or the Moto in a few days.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am just trying to find an excuse to upgrade my phone. I mean I can use my current phone(s) for 2 more years or I can find an excuse to get a nicer gear.

There are other games I can play on the new phone, such as geforce now games. I just need to pay for the game on Steam one time and I can stream it for free.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Like I said I have already used China phones on US GSM NVMO carriers. If your phone has a quadcomm soc you really don't have to worry about it, 99% chance your phone will work.

If you have a Samsung Mediatek or Huawei soc, then you may have to do some research.

My Huawei Note 10 according to kimovil, only has 1 AT&T band (B4), but it work just fine. I even get signal outside of the city.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I believe mint uses less 4g band than actual TMobile. So why not try it for a month with your phone and see.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Last 2 years for 2 people , the best deals to us have been red pocket.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I dropped my phone in sea water recently and still waiting for it to dry, probably will die eventually anyway.

I was looking for phone with largest screen. And found the best bang to the buck to me is a Motorola Edge (2021) New 330 ish used 180 ballpark.

SD 875 something. 6.8" 8gb 256gb

Why 2021 version over 2020 and Edge plus? It has more 4g bands and cheaper.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Blurb3947 posted:

T-Mobile is offering this as well but doesn't seem to require a port-in.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

Only " unlocked eSIM compatible phone" eligible

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I recently went on a roadtrip, so I looked for a sim that offer the biggest data sim. What I tried was the Lyca mobile $10.5 per month for 3 months with the 40gb high speed package. You are supposed to get 20gb extra data during the 3 months, but I can't use more than 40gb so I can verify it. Search slickdeals for the promotion link.

The lyca website is archaic and I had to call to active the sim both times. But the speed is pretty okay for my entire orlando roadtrip. It's better than whatever current promotion Mint and Boost are doing now.

You can also get 1 month of service + 1 free phone for $40+ tax from Metro. I think 30gb high speed.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea I did this to snag a moto 5g. 6 months after it's activated you can request the unlock, so I got a new fast phone to play with for a month, a wifi device for 5 more, then a neat new 5g phone. Worth the 40 bucks for the trouble IMHO.

I recently try to get a Moto stylus (6.8"/sd695) but they sold out of it. I was very sad because new batch of Metro phones have basically identical spec of the old ones. There is no other good phone except the Moto stylus, I want it as my in car youtube phone.

BTW I booted up the 2 metro phones I got last aug, a 1+ N200 and a REVVL 5V, they all unlocked themselves automatically. I didn't need to go to any setting or call anybody. This is the smoothest unlock procedure ever.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
FYI I just bought a 3 month unlimited boost sim card from Best buy, $35 for 3 months. Activated by mid 2024.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think new Boost sim (order from Boost online only, not from BB/Amazon/Targey) are ATT sims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think red pocket has att option, and they sell annual sim for low end usage.

They have a store on ebay.