Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I tried the settings listed on crickets site, and while the Internet works mms does not. Any tricks to this?

Dumb question, but have you rebooted your phone? My MMS just randomly stopped working the other day (coincidentally after a call to get my address changed) and a reboot ended up fixing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ok, after all that bitching I deleted my APN and put in the same settings I did as before (from the website) rebooted my phone and...MMS works now.

I'm happy, and I'm not touching those loving settings again!

And mine just went back down... drat.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is it possible to buy JUST a phone from Cricket Wireless if you're already an existing customer? I'd like to do an upgrade to the Lumia 630 from my 620. But if I try to buy anything on the Cricket site, you have to add a plan. Is the phone shop only for new customers?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cojawfee posted:

Are you logged in? I just went to the cricket website and added a Lumia to my cart and it asked me if I wanted to add a line or upgrade a line.

Yeah the only thing is that if you want to Upgrade your device (which I did) it STILL makes you pick a plan for some weird reason.

But I went through with it to see what happens. Basically I paid $100 for a $50 phone (which will come with a $50 rebate card making it free) and then a $50 Smart Plan (which I'm already subscribed to). Hopefully the $50 smart plan charge drops off since I'm already on that.

edit: As soon as I went through with it, my phone notified me that I just made a $50 payment towards my account...so essentially I just gave myself some credit. I'm ok with that. And then I figured the $50 rebate card is only for new subscribers so I checked and, yep, it is. Still $50 for a semi-decent phone isn't bad. I'm on the 620 right now and it's just too goddamned small and I can't afford to upgrade to a bigger phone without a subsidy at the moment.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 21, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You have to buy a month of service when you get a phone through cricket.

Which is just kind of strange when you're already an subscriber using autopay...but it's all good. Looking forward to Windows 8.1 and a not tiny as gently caress screen.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Anybody had any experience moving from Verizon to Cricket? Have a friend that wants to, but don't have any experience good or bad with it... so I figure I'd ask here before recommending.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Venkmanologist posted:

Cricket is awesome if you're in their coverage. Now is a good time to switch. They just announced they'll be upping data caps on all of their plans. And one of us can give him a referral that will be an account credit.

I can't speak to the Verizon>Cricket switch experience. Maybe someone else can.

I use Cricket so I'll be doing the referral thank you very much :D! I just hadn't moved directly from Verizon so I didn't know how that went.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I switched from Verizon to cricket. It was pretty smooth, I was even able to use my Verizon phone because I unlocked it and it was a "global" phone so it had GSM radios built into it (like most of verizons smartphones sold within the past 2 years).

Of course coverage depends on your area, but Cricket uses ATT so coverage should be roughly similar to Verizon in most places. I've been on Cricket for almost 2 months now and it was a great decision to switch.

Thanks!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Mississippi? I use Cricket in Mississippi just fine FWIW.

edit: Except by the CSpire building where there's a hilarious dead zone of anything non-CSpire.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PurpleJesus posted:

Has anyone changed phones on Cricket that required a different size SIM card? I currently have a Nexus 5 that has a Micro SIM but I'm going to be upgrading to the new Moto X, with a Nano SIM. Do I just order one from the website or do I have to go into the store? And if so, are they going to charge me an activation fee?

I believe you can get it from the site for like a dollar. You can also cut them yourself (which is what I did to upgrade to my 2013 moto x), but I'd recommend against it if you can. Sometimes, depending on the tray, you can get SIM stability issues if it's not cut just right and keeps slipping out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stick100 posted:

High five fellow 2014 Moto X user. Hope we don't get boned by marshmallow.

I'm on a 2013 Moto X so gently caress both of you :(

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Cricket's MMS broke for me (2013 moto x) and my wife (Lumia 520) for the longest time too.

I ended up turning off the AIOInternet APN (but keeping AIOMMS selected) and switched the Internet APN to this:

Name: internet
APN: ndo
Proxy: not set
Port: not set
Username: not set
Password: not set
Server: Not set
MMS Proxy: Not set
MMS Port: Not set
MCC: 310
MNC: 150
Authentication Type: Not Set
APN type: default, fota, hipri, supl
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: enabled
Bearer: unspecified
MVNO type: none
MVNO value: not set

And it worked! On both phones.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SB35 posted:

So you have two APNs set? A separate for mms and internet? Or just removed MMS?

Two, one for MMS and one for Internet. The MMS APN isn't selectable. It just exists. There are two internet APNs (the AIOinternet and generic internet one)... there are radio buttons to choose which one to use. They're all on the same screen.
The MMS one is the one it's always been since I plugged my SIM into my phone when I bought it and it auto fetched the MMS apn. However it never really worked until I changed the selected Internet APN from the aio one to the generic one. As soon as I did that MMS's finally started coming through!

edit:

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 29, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Cricket cell coverage down for anybody else? I'm getting nothing (cut out in the middle of a call). Rebooted and errythang.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FAUXTON posted:

Nope zero issues for me.

Yeah apparently just me (and some random person that happened to post about it on their FB page at the exact same time mine went out... so maybe a small outage?)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cage-free egghead posted:

Saw this on reddit today:

Check your accounts tomorrow!

loving A.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What's the easiest way to switch to 8 gig plan from the 5 gig plan? Do I have essentially just act like I'm buying the new plan? Will I have to pay $50 when I check out or can I just upgrade?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also I'm an idiot and finally found the "change plan" option.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone else having some issues with cricket and mms? I did a firmware update, and now I can't send or receive mms.

This has completely killed my dick pic game :saddowns:

I hate that I can't remember the fix, but yeah it's something with the APN. I think they were actually having DNS issues with their network vs home wifi.

I can't remember the process. But if I was at home and it wasn't working, I connected to my wifi... THEN sent it and it worked. Then, when I turned wifi back off (or left the house and automatically connected) it would keep working.

Or maybe it was the opposite? Eek. Try either way.

Different Question!

Speaking of Cricket. Something has happened to ATT coverage in my neighborhood and all of my neighbors and I all of a sudden don't get dick for coverage. In fact most of us have only one or two spots in our home where the signal isn't completely dead. It's very weird.

We're in C Spire's hometown and they just installed their fiber in our neighborhood (completely wrecking my yard but that's a different story) ... that was the same time that all of our ATT coverage poo poo the bed.

Conspiracy or not, I think I'm going to switch to Verizon pre-paid. They don't have a "Cricket" do they? AKA Pre-paid service owned by Verizon but different name? I skimmed the OP but wanted to make sure it was up to date.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Blue Train posted:

They don't have a separate prepaid service but do offer prepaid options themselves. Most if not all Verizon mvnos are called at 5mbps down as well

Yeah their pre-paid is too expensive for me. Guess I'll deal with Cricket's lovely service at my house.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Actually I just called up Cricket and they gave me some new APN settings to try... so hopefully that works out!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Lol actually their new settings broke my phone even further. MMS doesn't work and cell signal is even weaker.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Partycat posted:

If you have a 3G phone maybe you’re just running into some early shutdown and paring of those things ?

No it's a moto 5G Plus. 4G LTE.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TLG James posted:

Cricket added a wifi manager in their app, turned on by default. Totally boned my wifi. It would disconnect constantly from it. I even factory reset my phone and it seemed to fix it, until the app reinstalled.

I was about to buy a new phone.

What app?

Edit: the mycricket app. Thanks! Our WiFi has been acting up on our phones lately. I wonder if that was why? Either way we turned it off to see!

Also my app says my account had to be reset for security reasons and I had to setup new user/pass. What happened there? Cricket security breach?

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 25, 2018

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Cricket coverage just turned to poo poo here in Central Mississippi. Maybe it's because I'm literally around the corner from C Spire's headquarters, but all three of my buds that use Cricket have noticed a marked loss of quality lately. Very slow internet, often no signal (in half of my house and in my office which is just poo poo) plus weird instances of, in certain spots at work and home, what looks like a strong signal and I can text, etc, but when people call me it goes straight to VM.

Thinking of switching to Fi

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Looking at the Moto g6 or the Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra. Did some searching on amazon and both these seem to have some good qualities.

I'm a huge huge fan of the Moto G series. Great quality, awesome shortcuts (chop to flashlight and twist to camera... goddamn how is that not a universal function of Android by now?) and good performance. Cameras are always marginal but totally acceptable for the price range.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

syscall girl posted:

I loved my G5+ even after the android phone thread moved on to OnePlus/Pixels as reccs. I assume the G6 is marginally better but not leaps and bounds, more (mediocre) cameras, probably make the leap to Pie. I wish my XR had a chop to flashlight, that's so handy. Helping a co-worker fix her headlights like whoa.

The G7 is just around the corner (or just came out?) too. I only moved to a cheapo LG because I moved to Xfinity Mobile and can't bring the G Series with me. But as soon as their BYOD opens up I'm going right back.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I just switched to Xfinity Mobile a couple of months ago (I'm a Comcast member, but using the $45/unlimited fork instead of the per gig fork.). Granted I have the same crappy coverage as AT&T (I live in a metro area but apparently this tiny little area of the city has spotty 4G LTE coverage).

Other than that it's just fine.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kraps posted:

What about AT&T Prepaid, do they have wifi-calling?

Looks like so in this thread (https://forums.att.com/t5/Plans-Features/WiFi-calling-on-prepaid-plan/td-p/5769961/page/3)

Or at least it's definitely in the process of rolling out

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boogalo posted:

From Cricket's setup page: https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/mobile-wifi/wifi-calling-capable-phones.html

The option for wifi calling is just not there for me on a galaxy s7 with cricket sim. On a Mint sim it showed up and worked. It working on iOS just makes me thing they're being dicks and not enabling it.

Did you buy that Galaxy S7 from Cricket?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boogalo posted:

No, its an unlocked from Samsung phone. Carrier agnostic. I think I'm using that term correctly.

So its (not)working as expected.

Yeah that's interesting that it would work on all iOS phones but only Android phones bought from them. Although it's probably less them being dicks and more that they, with Android fragmentation, can only ensure it works on devices they personally sell and therefore test/guarantee.

Or not since other carriers do it. Who knows. Goddamn sometimes I hate technology.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mental Hospitality posted:

How on earth can Mint make setting up a new account and porting a number take all of 3 minutes and AT&T is so backwards?

AT&T is literally the worst at everything they ever attempt to do.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I signed my wife and I up for Mint a couple of months ago and I would like to say holy poo poo does it have the worst coverage of anything I've ever used.

We're in the RTP in NC and it has ok coverage, but the *second* you get out of the city it's slow-to-poo poo everywhere.

Definitely going back to something Verizon based (or literally anything not T-Mobile) once this 3 month pre-pay is up. It's abysmal.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Am unsubbing from Mint Mobile. Went to turn off auto renew and it says the Primary Member (I'm the primary of the family which is just my wife and I) *cannot* turn off auto-renew.

What? Why wouldn't the account manager be able to do that?

edit: ok found it. In a family plan you cannot have auto renew turned off at all.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ok finally switched from Mint Mobile to US Mobile today.

Initial thoughts on the process:

Mint Mobile does not have your account number or PIN *anywhere* on your account management page. You have to call in to get it. I thought it was going to be annoying and they'd try to keep me, but nope. It's very painless.

Also, if you have multiple lines in a family account they each have their own account number and PIN so you have to repeat the process for each line.

The *second* you switch a line away your Mint Mobile page immediately directs to a 404. So if, for whatever reason, there's anything there you need to screencap, etc. Do it first.

Setup on US Mobile was easy and chat support was super quick and helpful with the few issues I did have.

Only downer so far is that my wife is on a Pixel 3a and I'm on a Pixel 6 and they can't use the shared pool feature. You can only use phones with Super LTE and above on the shared data line. Not a deal killer, but oh well.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

This got me checking out the US Mobile website today and I decided to give their 10 day trial a go. ESIM let me get started while on my lunch break at work and it seems I'm connected to Verizon which works... surprisingly well here. I did notice that at one point my phone was reporting I was on 5G UC which I thought was strictly T-Mobile, but the ESIM and network info app show me on Verizon. Kind of confused me.

Yeah I had to switch because TMobile coverage was just abysmal everywhere except for directly in the city. Verizon is much better.

For the 5G UC thing... do you s till have your other SIM installed? Maybe some accidental crossover?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I recently had US Mobile switch me from an eSim to one of their black "Super LTE" physical sims (It's still 5G on Verizon so my service hasn't changed). Chat was super helpful in getting the process started, only issue was speed. Took about 15 hours for the changeover to happen, and for about 12 hours I had no service as the eSim deactivated long before the card activated. From what I've read, it is usually a much quicker process.

Just a heads up in case anyone was thinking of doing the same.

Huh I didn't switch from an eSim, but I did use the black sims when switching my lines over from my previous carrier (when we first signed up for US Mobile) and it only took a few minutes. Wonder if something just got hung up.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I've used it for a year now for my wife and I and it's been great.

However last night we had power outages from storms and both of us had trouble getting any cell data. It would come and go so I don't think cell towers were off... just likely slammed and I'm guessing US Mobile doesn't get any sort of priority.

Also of note - they do NOT support plans for watches at the moment! So if that's a dealbreaker for you, there ya go.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

astral posted:

Are you using a 5G device on their Verizon network to get priority data?

Yup. Pixel 7

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Switched to US Mobile today. Switch was smooth and didn't see any issues. Trying to figure out what this new "5G UW" logo is and if that's a bad thing or not. $25/month including taxes for unlimited text and talk and 30GB of data is too good for me cause I only need like 10 GB.

Note: Pretty sure US Mobile's original deal (the 50 day trial + $50 after 12 months of autopay) comes out better than their Black Friday deal for new customers.

US mobile is great. I've been on them for a year (my wife and I) and not a single issue. We had some weirdness during setup and their support is *fantastic*.... I also really like their app/ui. It's fantastic if you need to be on a Verizon MVNO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boris Galerkin posted:

That’s good to hear. I wanted to stick with Verizon cause I had it prior to this and it works perfect at both home and work. For the data I need (10 GB) it basically came down to either Visible for $25 and unlimited data or US Mobile for $25 for 30 GB.

Visible was really tempting because they have a $5/month addon plan for smart watches. My current Apple Watch is non cellular but I’m considering paying the extra for the cellular version next time. So I guess I’ll switch to visible when I get a new Apple Watch.

Yeah cuz uh apparently US Mobile *still* doesn't have any watch plans