Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I bought an unlocked Moto X (2013) to bring to Cricket and I'd like to have the SIM card already when the phone arrives, but in order to order the SIM on the website, I have to have the IMEI of the phone. Is there a way to order a SIM without already having the phone in hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Brock Landers posted:

Any imei will work. Cricket does use it to recommend a SIM size though so use an imei of a device with the same size SIM.

I don't have any GSM phones to grab an IMEI off of. v:shobon:v

edit: nevermind, the IMEI on my Sprint Moto X worked.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 5, 2014

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Can someone toss me a referral for Cricket please?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Does Cricket really make you sign for your SIM card when it gets delivered? That's going to be a huge pain in the rear end if so.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Finisher1 posted:

I got a Cricket SIM card in the mail and they didn't make me sign for it.

Okay, good. The first paragraph of the shipping confirmation said be prepared to sign, but hopefully the UPS guy will just leave my $10 package on the porch like he usually does. Thanks.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Is there a way to see where AT&T towers are, and possibly planned updates or new towers? I get amazing coverage on Cricket everywhere except inside the building at work, and that might be a big enough issue to put me back on Sprint.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

SouthLAnd posted:

If your LTE has crawled to an unusable speed like mine, you can have the phone use 3g/hspa instead by changing the preferred network type under mobile network settings (if you're on android, don't know about iPhones).

My Moto X (2013) only has 'Automatic' and '2G only' in preferred network type. Is my phone set up wrong?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

If you're on the 3gb Cricket plan and run out of data, is there any reason to buy the extra 1gb for $10 vs just changing your plan to the 10gb plan? Are there ramifications for changing your plan?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

TraderStav posted:

No. It's better to upgrade. They prorate the charge and set usage to zero.

Would this interfere with the 60 days of uninterrupted service required for the referral bonus?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

crondaily posted:

Any guesses for when Cricket Moto G's will get 5.0? lol

Why's that funny?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Call me dense but what are you getting at?

:frogout:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I've been getting way too many wrong number and spam calls on my cricket number. Would cricket give me a new number if I asked?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Geoj posted:

You can't use a SIM obtained from a store for the dork plan, you have to buy the "starter kit" online. Also, it can only be activated online or at a Wal-Mart and is a one-time plan - if you were to move off of it you can't move back unless you port your number out to another provider and open a new account..

What if you used it for a month then stopped paying? You can't reactivate the account at all? Is the SIM card now useless?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

eric posted:

Yes they send an email when you get the credit.

They didn't send me an email or anything. In fact, I think the only email cricket has ever sent me was when I applied for the referral credit. At 62 days, I still hadn't heard anything so I logged into my account and there was the credit. All other contact from them has come through text messages for some reason.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

SB35 posted:

I believe it's throttled to 128k. Slow but enough for your emails to download.

Kilobytes or kilobits? I assumed the latter (16 kBps) but if it's actually 128 kBps then that's not much worse than I was regularly getting on Sprint 3G. I think I could live with that for a couple days if I had to.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

About to switch to Cricket. How do i get on this referral thing? Anyone doing group plans together?

Here's a referral link for you.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Yeah Cricket definitely has a terrible website, and an almost worse Android app. Hell, as far as I know, you can't even access any of the referral stuff from your account on the Cricket website. I had to create a whole separate account on the referral site. It's all a big mess, but the service itself is great.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

savesthedayrocks posted:

Also, if anyone has a referral I'll be hopefully moving over to Cricket soon.

I posted a referral link a few posts up.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

How the hell do I activate a different phone on Cricket?! I put my SIM in the new phone but it won't do anything, and I can't find anywhere on the website to switch my phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Yeah okay I'll just drive 25 miles to the nearest Cricket store to get my GSM phone activated. No problem.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure WHY they took that option off. It shows up when you sign into your account, but it's grayed out and you're given that link.

Maybe try to do it over their chat?

I've been trying that for the last fifteen minutes. First guy directed me to a page that was no help and then killed the chat. The current person is actually competent but so far it's not working.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

clockworx posted:

Sounds like a technical issue. That upgrade page looks like it is for buying a new phone from them, not swapping in another phone that you own on an account.

Dumb question, but is your phone definitely locked to AT&T or GSM unlocked?

It was listed as being unlocked, and the phone didn't throw a fit when I put my SIM in, but either way it's definitely an AT&T phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Finally got it working, but I couldn't tell you exactly how. She had me add the APN settings manually, but it didn't seem to do anything, especially since I wasn't even connecting to any towers. Maybe there was just an outage that got fixed. Regardless, it's working now.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Am I going to continue accumulating mPoints through Cricket or is Cricket done with rewards altogether?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

If you buy from Cricket, you won't be able to tether.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I have used both an unlocked AT&T 2014 X and a Pure Edition X on Cricket with no issues (well there was that activation issue but I think that was a fluke).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

AT&T is getting into trouble with the FCC with their throttling so that might be going away.

That's for unlimited plans though. Cricket very clearly states how much data you get before you are supposed to be throttled.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

cptn oblivious posted:

Are we still doing Cricket referrals in this thread? I'd like one please. Thanks.

https://mycricket.sparkrefer.com/4zzwOwi

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

My coverage in SW Michigan has seemed spotty the last couple days as well. I'm glad it's not just an issue with my phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

So, are there any bad points to them I need to know about before swapping or any special deals? I was going to just port my number over. Probably go to Walmart and get a phone.

What's wrong with your current phone?

Also, here's a referral for you if you want it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

According to the website it'll only get 3g with em. It gets 4g lte on T-Mobile but I figured what the hell, it's been a while since I've upgraded my cell.

What phone do you have?

edit: nevermind apparently you have something called a Samsung Galaxy Light. It looks like it has bands 4 and 17 for LTE so it should get LTE on Cricket. I have no idea if that phone has to be unlocked to work on Cricket or if it already is unlocked.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 14, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Except now my tethering is blocked. :v: Oh well!

:pwn:

Do you know why?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

No idea. :( It's off by default and if I try to turn it on, it says to go to att.com/mywireless or dial 611.

I think SIM cards at Cricket stores have this turned off by default...no idea if this pertains to online ordered cards as well.

Where did you get your N6? I thought all N6's were the same but some research suggests that there is indeed an AT&T version, which it sounds like you have since your tethering is trying to validate against the AT&T servers.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Got it from SA Mart, actually. Not upset if it's the AT&T version though. How would I check for this and is it reversible?

Edit: Wait, there's no AT&T logo on the back.

Does it have any AT&T software on it? I wonder if flashing the stock firmware straight from Google would allow you to tether. Of course I doubt you want to go through all of that for something you don't seem to have any interest in.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I wish there was a reason to drop AT&T for a prepaid carrier but there just isn't.

Why would you want to switch from postpaid to prepaid? You lose roaming, you get throttled data speeds, and you get worse customer support.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What roaming? There's not a single carrier out here besides Verizon that might have better coverage. Going to another country I just use a Tmobile SIM because AT&Ts roaming prices are a joke.

Throttled doesn't bother me one bit if its priced well, the 8Mbps from Cricket is more than enough for me and everyone on our line.

I never contact support.

Okay, great, you've told me why prepaid isn't bad. You didn't explain why you'd want to switch though.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Rexxed posted:

It looks like Harbor Mobile is about to release their AT&T service. Someone on slickdeals got the pricing information from a customer service rep:
https://slickdeals.net/f/8080810-harbor-mobile-2-0-at-t-plans-pricing-revealed?v=1

Is there any reason to choose this over Cricket aside from being $2 cheaper? Would the service be exactly the same?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Streaming works fine on Cricket, even on HSPA.

The OP recommends porting to Voice because, once done, you don't need to worry about porting again. You just pay the $20 and you're fine no matter what carrier you go to. Skipping Voice means you get to worry every time you want to change carriers.

MMS works OK using Hangouts at least for me.

In addition, using Voice is great because you don't have to worry much about your cell signal as long as you have wifi. I get little to no service at work but I can still text and see if someone is calling on my desktop.

MMS works fine, though I'm unsure if group messaging is fully functional yet.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

Looks like I can't tether on my new Moto X pure on Cricket. Is there a work around or should I just jump to Straight Talk?

Could you tether on your previous phone with the same SIM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

TraderStav posted:

I'm on cricket and just got the Nexus 5x. When I go to enable a tethering hotspot I get an error that I need to enable it with subscriber. I find this very odd being a phone that doesn't go through any carrier. None of my other Android phones have had this issue.

Is there any way around this? Very important feature for me.

edit: Tried adding the tethering option to my Cricket plan as mentioned before but it's not an option under features. I even popped my plan up to the $60 a month (thinking that the $5/mo discount is affecting that from showing up since it's available on $50/mo and up plans).

Are you using the same SIM that was in the other devices that did tether?