Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW
I didn't like her much in Deadwood either. As Al would say, "Loopy oval office'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

setafd posted:

what do you think the message is meant to be with walt jr being disabled and wanting his name not to be "walt"

I don't think he didn't want it to be Walt he just wanted it to be Flynn which I endorse because Flynn is a pro-tier first name

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The only thing you can genuinely condemn Skylar for and not be a misogynistic piece of poo poo is the fact that she gives absolutely reprehensible birthday handjobs

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

setafd posted:

what do you think the message is meant to be with walt jr being disabled and wanting his name not to be "walt"

Autistic kids were more adept at construing sentences together than that little human being bro

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The only thing you can genuinely condemn Skylar for and not be a misogynistic piece of poo poo is the fact that she gives absolutely reprehensible birthday handjobs

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I hate Skylar because when I lie in bed stroking myself off to fantasies about being a druglord I do all sorts of neat poo poo and noone tells me what to do! lol

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Also the Skyler haters are usually the ones who think Breaking Bad was all about "Badass Walt does badass things" and you're supposed to hate everyone who gets in his way, but that was not the point of the show.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Arian_Samurai posted:

Skyler had some interesting plot lines.

Lets compare her to Betty Draper from Mad Men. Most of her plot lines involve her getting outsmarted by children.

mad men would be improved literally a hundredfold if she were reduced to a bit part after the divorce

seriously what the gently caress is weiner doing giving her b-plots every other week

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
she basically looks like a man

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
man jaw

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I thought skyler was a really annoying wet blanket for the first part of the show when walt wasn't really doing bad stuff yet but I found her more relatable when it hit the point where he clearly was in it more for the feeling of fame/power than to actually support his family.

Though she and hank often seemed to make things a lot worse for everyone involved.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Also the Skyler haters are usually the ones who think Breaking Bad was all about "Badass Walt does badass things" and you're supposed to hate everyone who gets in his way, but that was not the point of the show.

It seemed like that's what the show ended up being about though. Honestly, Skylar could have been a more sympathetic character if the show didn't actively frame a lot of Walt's actions like they were the acts of some badass criminal kingpin.

Also, I thought Anna Gunn was fine in Deadwood. She fit in pretty well there.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Breaking Bad is a terrible show sorry nerds

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Remember how Skyler was a writer for like half the first season before they realized it was worthless as a storyline

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Yeah, but them titties. Think about them titties.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
she's an attractive woman

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
if i'm not supposed to hate skyler am i supposed to be feel sorry for hank when he gets himself and his best friend killed because he's a belligerent rear end in a top hat who can't let anything go

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

Cucking Mama posted:

she's an attractive woman

lol good joke

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
people sure liked to talk about what color meant on that show it seemed like

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Guy Fleegman posted:

I didn't like her much in Deadwood either. As Al would say, "Loopy oval office'.

Thanks for clearing this up. I thought we were talking about the guitarist for Timmy and the Lords of the Underground.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

many gratitudes wise master

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Remember how Skyler was a writer for like half the first season before they realized it was worthless as a storyline

A writer of short stories. Let's be honest, the first episode sets up Skyler as a major part of Walt's lovely, boring, stupid life.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I want a breaking bad remake with the cast replaced with all the king of the hill characters

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gaunab posted:

I want a breaking bad remake with the cast replaced with all the king of the hill characters

the episode where everyone is smoking cigs

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

i like the little details like how she kept gaining weight the more terrible she became. real devotion to the craft.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
The character was annoying cuz as a viewer you want cool poo poo to happen and she gets in the way of that

If it were real life, she's definitely the good person of the bunch. And part of the point of the show is that Walter White turns into a bad person (or was one all along).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Other plotlines they just up and dropped

-Jesse's parents and little brother
-Marie shoplifting

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 635 days!
Pretty much everyone in the show was a terrible person.

By like season three I was actively rooting for Walter to be beaten and tortured to death while his wife was forced to listen and his son forced to climb ladders in an adjacent room.

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008

ghlbtsk posted:

Thanks for clearing this up. I thought we were talking about the guitarist for Timmy and the Lords of the Underground.

Realtalk: i literally can not hear the name Skyler without attaching "Reach for the" to it in my head

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

paint dry posted:

Breaking Bad is a terrible show sorry nerds

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the only thing you should be watching is kill la kill or dangen ronpa let's plays

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Whenever a Skyler scene came on, I'd get bummed out. Is Justified still good?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I hated the kid

Talk like a normal person douchebag

:agreed:

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
skyler owned because of that one time she told walt she hoped he would die of cancer

say what you want about her, thats a pretty good own to drop on your spouse lmao

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
i agree with OP

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
In Breaking Bad we are supposed to like Walt, to be on his side. from the moment he is in his underpants holding a gun waiting for police sirens we want him to succeed. The storyline drags us through his metamorphosis, but the fun/thrill of the whole show are the WTF ??? moments and being on a bad guy's team.
We're supposed to swirl around the drain with Walter watching our kingdom being built and then destroyed.Anyone who got in the way of that dream, to us, was the bad guy.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

actually walter white was the bad guy and she was okay op, thanks.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I like how the whole series was basically Skyler's fault cause she guilted her husband into trying to stay alive. like if a man doesn't have a say in whether he lives or dies he's had his agency completely stripped away from him, and Walt spends the entire rest of the series trying to earn it back

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

if walt wasn't such a pissy bitch and took the money from his friend the whole show would've made a lot more sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
also Skyler gets a really bad rap for a lot of dumb stuff but tbh when she first found out Walt was dealing drugs she kinda overreacted, I mean yeah it's not ideal but at that point he hadn't killed or tortured anyone (except in self-defense which doesn't count). I mean the guy is facing down death because SHE asked him to and doesn't want to leave his family completely broke and ruined when he bites it, and she acts like he's abusing their children in secret.

also like, in the first and part of the second series when he's never around and making up stories about where he is, she coulda been more understanding. dude was going through some poo poo and mad stressed so give him some room to breathe, god drat

• Locked thread