Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I never understood the Skyler hate. Yeah she was naggy in the beginning but later, how dare she not be on board with her innocent, milquetoast husband turning into a murderous druglord??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Also the Skyler haters are usually the ones who think Breaking Bad was all about "Badass Walt does badass things" and you're supposed to hate everyone who gets in his way, but that was not the point of the show.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Skyler is crucial to the plot. You might have a point about Marie.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
re: "you're supposed to root for Walt when watching Breaking Bad"

The way I saw it, you're supposed to root for Walt, but not at the expensive of hating the other characters for getting in his way. The show gave me a reason to care about Jesse, Skyler, and Hank, and their motivations behind their actions. Hank is an "enemy" to Walt, but the audience is also supposed to sympathize with him while simultaneously rooting for Walt. This dynamic is where half the tension and suspense in the show came from.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

Jesse was the worst character, he shoulda died that snitchin rear end pussy motherfucker, that rat bastard scumbag addict piece of poo poo. he deserved everything he got in that fuckin torture chamber. he was fine with murdering and stealing and selling drugs and only had a change of heart when he started using again and needed to find some sort of external cause to focus on to assuage his guilt. gently caress that mother fucker.

except he wasn't fine with any of that and it made him have mental breakdowns?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'n not sure how you could not sympathize with Hank by the end of the show.

Carol Pizzamom posted:

but when you're watchin a show about some crazy rear end crimes and poo poo you want more crazy rear end bullshit to go down and not a 20 minute scene about marital problems

but that's another part of what makes Breaking Bad better than your average show, its essentially all one big story arc with few deviations, only you see it from all angles. If the whole thing was Walt and Jesse doing cool/badass poo poo, then it wouldn't be Breaking Bad.

Having said that, I wish there had been a few more episodes like Four Days Out where the whole thing is just Walt and Jesse together on an adventure. If anything, the show didn't take full advantage of their dynamic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Nigmaetcetera posted:

He was a snitch, so he deserved much worse.

He only snitched because he knew it was a possibility that Walt was going to kill him.

• Locked thread