Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Benedick Cuckold posted:

I feel like that doesn't really explain anything, because Pinkerton fairly quickly became almost universally acclaimed, and Cuomo has come back around to speaking fondly of it along with everyone else. Off the top of my head, the last time I can think of him trashing it was sometime back around when the Green Album came out.

Doesn't matter. The grand narrative of Weezer is "musical genius releases opus, is shunned, retreats into sucking for ever". Rivers' various contradictory opinions on his music over the years doesn't factor into that.

It's got to the point where if Weezer actually released a great record again it'd sort of retroactively damage Pinkerton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Rivers, on a forum in 2001 posted:

here's something you have to understand: "classic" weezer is going to be buried by a far more popular "new" style over the next few years. those 20 songs that you guys are so attached to are going to mean nothing to the millions and millions of new fans that are coming in.

i enjoy you tremendously but you have bad taste in music.

quote:

i had seen the band setting up at soundcheck and laughed at them in an indie-highbrow sort of way. they didn't have guitars! they didn't have bass or drums! how could they possibly rock? how could they possibly go on as headliners after us? we were going to blow them off the stage!

we played our set and, as i said, quickly realized the "masterpiece" [Pinkerton] we had just created would drop like a brick in environments like this. indeed, our complex music was all but incomprehensible to the 40,000 young europeans who had come simply for the purpose of getting rocked and having a good time.

later that night, the sun went down and an ominous air gathered over the field as the crowd crammed together, packing towards the front of the stage. the excitement was palpable. the band everyone had come to see finally burst out of the darkness and onto the stage, hurling everyone into a frenzy of unified, mass po-going. it felt incredible, evil, and exciting. I wanted to run in and join the throng.

it was then that i knew there was much i wanted to learn.
i listened, intently. i noted the repetitive beats. i noted the fact that there were no jarring changes of feel, tempo, or harmony. i noted that i was being sucked in and forced to move, whether that meant dancing, head-banging or just generally rocking out. i noted the lack of "personal expression" and the lack of "emotion". most of all, i noted how much it rocked.

although the band's music offered little in the way of compositional practices which i could integrate with my own, the experience of hearing it that night opened my ears to hearing music in a different way. it took me years to come to terms with that.

quote:

boy it was great hardly playing any blue or pinkerton tonight.

A complete archive of his fan-baiting here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/ridd2/rcbthreads.html

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
What band is he talking about in that 2nd quote?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I don't know. I tried working it out from context in the thread (archived somewhere in the link) but I don't know if it's actually mentioned. I think it's whoever they were supporting in the European leg of the Pinkerton tour.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Rivers Cuomo posted:

jesus f**king christ someone threw a pear onstage tonight a lone pear

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

Argali posted:

I think after Pinkerton Weezer has basically been trolling us all because it's easier than getting real jobs.

I once read an interview with Brian Bell where he said "It's called the music business, not the music 'have fun'." So if that doesn't speak to what goes on in this band internally, I don't know what else does.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Popcorn posted:

I don't know. I tried working it out from context in the thread (archived somewhere in the link) but I don't know if it's actually mentioned. I think it's whoever they were supporting in the European leg of the Pinkerton tour.

The context and audience numbers Rivers mentions make it sound like a festival. They played Reading in 1996, and The Prodigy were on after them. While they were not THE headliner, they would fit the description perfectly.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

People are still going to buy this after pork and beans?

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

zVxTeflon posted:

People are still going to buy this after pork and beans?

I'm a do the things that I wanna do

Which is play blue and Pinkerton on repeat day after day

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Heard the new song and yeah it's pretty poo poo. I remember kinda sorta liking Hurley when it came out but thinking about it now I literally can't remember any of the songs from that album.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I haven't heard much of their new stuff except maybe Beverly Hills (which is honestly up there for worst songs I've heard) but Back to the Shack gave me a short nostalgic trip and I enjoyed it for merely that. In itself, it's not a very good song but more of a nod back to what they were and nothing more. It's lyrics are boring and it doesn't deviate much outside of it being a pretty generic Weezer rock song. I guess I should be glad I haven't listened to much after Green?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Lblitzer posted:

I guess I should be glad I haven't listened to much after Green?

You missed a couple of gems, but yeah, those are few and far between.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What would you count as a couple gems? I never listened to anything past Make Believe. On that album, I enjoy Haunt You Everyday, and that's pretty much it.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

What would you count as a couple gems? I never listened to anything past Make Believe. On that album, I enjoy Haunt You Everyday, and that's pretty much it.
"Fall Together" on Maladroit is one of my favorite Weezer songs. The red album bonus track "Pig" is pretty good.

But yeah. That's about it. Raditude in particular is hot garbage from start to finish.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

The Red Album has a couple of cool songs. "Dreamin'", "The Angel And The One", "Pig" and "The Spider" are all worth a listen.
On Make Believe, "The Other Way" has accumulated an unusual high play count over the years, as unassuming as that songs sounds on the first listen.
Raditude has "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To)", which I thought was a pretty good lead single, and "The Prettiest Girl In The Whole Wide World".
Hurley has "Unspoken" and "Hang On".

Apart from these (which I admit are personal favorites of mine), there are a lot of songs which aren't really great and should probably be classified more as guilty pleasures. But from time to time I enjoy stuff like "Smart Girls", "Pork And Beans" or "Ruling Me".

Also, if you haven't heard them yet, the Pinkerton Reissue has two previously unreleased outtakes from that time, "Getting Up And Leaving" and "Tragic Girl". "Getting Up And Leaving" in particular is absolute vintage Weezer, it's really fantastic.

EDIT: Also, new teaser video today. The song snippet doesn't sound particularly great though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmADvbdeQyg

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 31, 2014

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I like how they are advertising it at least but the song snippet isn't super good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Raditude is genuinely my favourite post-Pinkerton Weezer album. I mean, it's totally horrible and stupid, but endearingly so. Very little about the rest of their input in the past decade and a half has been endearing to me at all, mostly it just bores the gently caress out of me. Troublemaker is kinda cute I guess

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bown posted:

Raditude is genuinely my favourite post-Pinkerton Weezer album. I mean, it's totally horrible and stupid, but endearingly so.

quote:

The rest of the summer was the best we’ve ever had
We watched Titanic and it didn’t make us sad
I took you to Best Buy
You took me home to meet your mom and dad

Your mom cooked meatloaf even though I don’t eat meat
I dug you so much, I took some for the team
Your dad was silent, his eyes were fixed to what was on TV
:shepface:

(I genuinely like that song though, horrible lyrics and all.)

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:shepface:

(I genuinely like that song though, horrible lyrics and all.)

Those are hardly the worst lyrics Rivers has come up with post Pinkerton. Especially not when the same album features "I'm Your Daddy".

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I haven't listened to Weezer much outside of the singles they release for the radio, and the first two albums, but Pork n Beans have the worst lyrics I have ever heard by them. Sure there are probably worse lyrics in other songs, but really, that song is atrociously bad.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DominoDancing posted:

Those are hardly the worst lyrics Rivers has come up with post Pinkerton. Especially not when the same album features "I'm Your Daddy".
Oh I know, just saying, I always cringe at those lyrics every time I hear that song and I know they're coming every time.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Hash Pipe and Island in the Sun are OK tunes but they underachieve. They're half-finished. The rest of the Green album puts me into a very deep coma whenever I try to listen to it.

I maintain Maladroit's not bad on the whole. Keep Fishing and Dope Nose are pretty cool.

That's it.

Is everyone aware that Rivers released a Japanese-language album? In Japan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_tBv1Pu9ok

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Keep Fishin' is great, especially the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOIsYA1QDuk

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I do still have kind of a soft spot for Maladroit-era suit-wearin' Elvis Costello Rivers.

Which is your favourite Rivers period?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 1, 2014

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Back to the Shack was poo poo when they first played it on the second Weezer Cruise and is slightly less poo poo in it's recorded form.

All the other tracks they've been teasing recently on Youtube sound so much loving better than Shack though so I'm still extremely optimistic on this album being good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lK-aRQRQ2Y

(ignore shack clip at the start)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Everyone in this thread is this guy IRL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKWbY-4PWk

(his Raditude video is over an hour long)

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Hedrigall posted:

Everyone in this thread is this guy IRL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKWbY-4PWk

The internet needed another fat nerd screaming video series

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
In related news, the new Rentals songs are pretty crunchy and dope and the pre-order is up and everyone should do so.

They are also playing shows with Ozma, which are, IMO, took Weezer's place. Unfortunately, they did so so accurately that they released a pile of dog crap called Boomtown.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DominoDancing posted:

You got the brains, the body and the beauty,
To top it off, you're cool

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

I found this guy a few days ago. I forced (actually forced) my way through the first video and then when I got to the second one I felt like dying so I stopped.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Green was their best album but i've been told my music taste is garbage.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Hedrigall posted:

Oh God he is wearing a loving fedora!

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

In related news, the new Rentals songs are pretty crunchy and dope and the pre-order is up and everyone should do so.

They are also playing shows with Ozma, which are, IMO, took Weezer's place. Unfortunately, they did so so accurately that they released a pile of dog crap called Boomtown.
I'm a huge Ozma fan and I haven't seen much discussion of their latest album so I'm glad to see someone mention it. I wouldn't call it a "pile of dog crap" but I do agree that it's a disappointment. I love all of their albums from Rock and Roll Part Three through Pasadena (although I do think each subsequent album in the series is a little less great than the one before it) but Boomtown is just kind of... pretty good? So maybe I'd call it Ozma's Green Album. I started listening to Ozma after seeing R&RP3 referred to as the "real third Weezer album," which I'd consider an apt description. If you're an Ozma fan and haven't checked out Daniel Brummel's new band Sanglorians, I'd suggest it; I like their album more than Ozma's newest.

I'm also pretty hyped for the new Rentals. It sounds like Matt Sharp put together a pretty fantastic new lineup for the band.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Madkal posted:

Oh God he is wearing a loving fedora!

He is everything. The horribly unfunny jokes. The fedora. The lack of editing. Jesus Christ, why does every cut take 9 times longer than it should do?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Vogon Poet posted:

I'm a huge Ozma fan and I haven't seen much discussion of their latest album so I'm glad to see someone mention it. I wouldn't call it a "pile of dog crap" but I do agree that it's a disappointment. I love all of their albums from Rock and Roll Part Three through Pasadena (although I do think each subsequent album in the series is a little less great than the one before it) but Boomtown is just kind of... pretty good? So maybe I'd call it Ozma's Green Album. I started listening to Ozma after seeing R&RP3 referred to as the "real third Weezer album," which I'd consider an apt description. If you're an Ozma fan and haven't checked out Daniel Brummel's new band Sanglorians, I'd suggest it; I like their album more than Ozma's newest.

I'm also pretty hyped for the new Rentals. It sounds like Matt Sharp put together a pretty fantastic new lineup for the band.

I just wish they didn't bite Weezer's career trajectory so on point. Rock and Roll, yes, is the 3rd Weezer album. But Pasadena is amazing. That album loving rocks and has some heart. The one after that is OK. There are 2 songs which are from previous releases (Epinone and No One Needs to Know) which are badass, then a couple other decent ones, and then some stinkers. Then this newest one, Boomtown, i don't think I even listened to more than once. Even the promo fund raising video was painful to watch. I've seen them live before. They shred. Thanks for telling me about his other band, I didn't know about it.

And please pre-order that new Rentals album! It would be great if he kept making music, especially 90's fuzzed out rock. I need more Superdrag type stuff. Also eveyone should check out Telekensis they are a good Weezerish band.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Popcorn posted:

He is everything. The horribly unfunny jokes. The fedora. The lack of editing. Jesus Christ, why does every cut take 9 times longer than it should do?

Dear God, it's loving Ignastius from A Confederacy of Dunces. If that book was written today, the green cap would be a fedora.

My favorite part is when he starts counting chords and using that as a legitimate criticism. "The song only has 3 chords! This song has 2." Like, maybe he's joking? But then why is it 28 minutes? Like, by the 10 minute mark, you've barely said anything interesting to hold my interest.

And with your horribly used-up body and soulless diabetes eyes and stupid douchey hipster haircut and fedora looking at me, I just want to punch you. He just strikes me as the pretentious dude who talks about how complex a guitar part is before he actually thinks about how good it is.

Look, I'm just going to say this to anybody else who wants to make videos on the internet: Stop with the whole "Ooh, this piece of entertainment makes me SO ANGRY!" Please. People say that puns are the lowest form of humor, but they forgot the rant. It's easy to write a rant. Be mildly disappointed in something, and then screech about it like a banshee on the internet and pretend that it's funny when you get upset about a Weezer album.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

Dear God, it's loving Ignastius from A Confederacy of Dunces. If that book was written today, the green cap would be a fedora.

My favorite part is when he starts counting chords and using that as a legitimate criticism. "The song only has 3 chords! This song has 2." Like, maybe he's joking? But then why is it 28 minutes? Like, by the 10 minute mark, you've barely said anything interesting to hold my interest.

And with your horribly used-up body and soulless diabetes eyes and stupid douchey hipster haircut and fedora looking at me, I just want to punch you. He just strikes me as the pretentious dude who talks about how complex a guitar part is before he actually thinks about how good it is.

Look, I'm just going to say this to anybody else who wants to make videos on the internet: Stop with the whole "Ooh, this piece of entertainment makes me SO ANGRY!" Please. People say that puns are the lowest form of humor, but they forgot the rant. It's easy to write a rant. Be mildly disappointed in something, and then screech about it like a banshee on the internet and pretend that it's funny when you get upset about a Weezer album.

There's an entire generation of kids this fatso's age who were coddled as kids and told that every loving thing they ever did was precious and now we have to listen to them suck.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hedrigall posted:

I'm normally pretty chill and forgiving but I kind of want this guy to actually die.

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF
God, somebody tell this guy to back away from the mic.

Edit: And his new videos aren't much better. While you don't actually have to look at him, he's still working the "LOOK AT ME! DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS METAPHOR? ALSO LOOK AT ME!" angle with his graphics.

Soundtrack To Mary fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove

BigFactory posted:

There's an entire generation of kids this fatso's age who were coddled as kids and told that every loving thing they ever did was precious and now we have to listen to them suck.

wow. this just made me think how kids today are growing up knowing there is a platform (YouTube) to reach out to the entire world. before that it was just like tv which requires a lot more to be able to use. i wonder how that affects development and ego.

• Locked thread