Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bruce Boxliker posted:

If you like Weezer mixed with fuzzy stoner doom, Cloakroom is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NVGSxGO7QM
This sounds nothing like Weezer and much more like Balance And Composure but is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Skeezy posted:

Here's the next single, Cleopatra.

http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/weezer_cleopatra_world_exclusive_premiere

e: I like it more than Back to the Shack at least.

Sounds a lot like Make Believe and Maladroit smashed into each other. I could listen to this.

I would like Back to the Shack a lot more if it weren't for the lovely/generic chorus. I'm cautiously optimistic for 'Go Away', 'Anonymous', and 'Da Vinci'; what I've heard of those sound more like the Album 5 demos. Why he doesn't just release those songs and pretend no one's heard them? No clue. They're pretty good.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Two more songs leaked: "Eulogy For A Rock Band" and "Foolish Father". You can find them easily on Reddit or wherever.

They're pretty solid. "Eulogy" is a pretty simple pop song with a chorus that sounds a bit like "Build Me Up Buttercup". "Foolish Father" is very Green/Maladroit in vibe, with a cool guitar solo and a nice outro with the album's title sung over and over.

These two and "Cleopatra" are far better than anything post-Make Believe, IMO.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Hedrigall posted:

Two more songs leaked: "Eulogy For A Rock Band" and "Foolish Father". You can find them easily on Reddit or wherever.

They're pretty solid. "Eulogy" is a pretty simple pop song with a chorus that sounds a bit like "Build Me Up Buttercup". "Foolish Father" is very Green/Maladroit in vibe, with a cool guitar solo and a nice outro with the album's title sung over and over.

These two and "Cleopatra" are far better than anything post-Make Believe, IMO.

The chorus of Eulogy For A Rock Band is really, really good, and I can see traces of Build Me Up Buttercup in it. Too bad that the verses are so nondescript. Foolish Father I'll have to listen to a couple of more times. I get the Green comparison when it comes to the guitar tone, but arrangement-wise it's a bit more interesting than pretty much anything on that album.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 11, 2014

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I think the two leaked songs sound like Make Believe, except good. Expecting another Pinkerton out of the man now is pretty dumb, so I'm alright with that.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
I like "Cleopatra" until the counting bit, but I think I can get over that. "Back to the Shack" is a dud. The leaked songs are both pretty good on first listen. I think the production on this album is really helping it so far. Rivers' voice isn't so high in the mix, the guitars are a bit muddier, it doesn't have much shine overall. I really like it, and it does sort of remind me of their earlier stuff production-wise. They're not reinventing themselves or anything, but perhaps they aren't the worst band anymore? I won't be wholly convinced until I hear the full album, but it finally seems like Rivers finally decided to not try being a lovely comedian, which is nice.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Cleopatra is catchy as gently caress. That counting bit sucks but drat super catchy otherwise.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

Cleopatra is catchy as gently caress. That counting bit sucks but drat super catchy otherwise.

The catching part is pretty objectively awful then I catch myself singing it at work and gently caress you Rivers

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Every new Weezer album causes everyone to say "it's a return to form! sorta!" The form has not yet returned. It can never return.

The Eulogy chorus ("Adios!") sounds like Mr Bright Side, that Killers song. Destiny is calling me, that bit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Popcorn posted:

Every new Weezer album causes everyone to say "it's a return to form! sorta!" The form has not yet returned. It can never return.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > No Music Discussion > Weezer: Worst Fans?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Hey, that wasn't half bad! :stat:

You're right, it was all bad! :wal:

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

precision posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > No Music Discussion > Weezer: Worst Fans?

Not even remotely. No matter your feelings about Weezer, you have to admit that they are the most loyal, and patient fans of any band ever. Had any other band had such a long streak of terrible output, they would have faded into eternity.

From an outside perspective, I think "return to old form" wish rings a little false. It seems to me that fans really desire growth but Weezer keeps giving them the same formulaic guitar riffs and semi-catchy choruses. The problem is they never left old form, Rivers just ran out of clever ways to sing about high school. They're still singing about the same things despite being in their late 40s.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The problem is that Weezer didn't just stay the same, they regressed.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The problem is that Weezer didn't just stay the same, they regressed.

Did they though? I mean this song is dumb as gently caress https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52FgoqFPxKc but it's fun and goofy and at the time, it fit in. No one wants to hear a wealthy middle aged Harvard grad, sings songs like this anymore.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

HollisBrown posted:

They're still singing about the same things despite being in their late 40s.

This criticism can be used for like 70% of bands/pop stars today though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Plus a lot of their new songs aren't singing about "the same things". Half of Rivers' songs now are about things like how being a rock star sucks and awful garbage like "Can't Stop Partying".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

Plus a lot of their new songs aren't singing about "the same things". Half of Rivers' songs now are about things like how being a rock star sucks and awful garbage like "Can't Stop Partying".
:pcgaming:Gotta stop mixing alcohol with pharmaceuticals:pcgaming:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

precision posted:

Half of Rivers' songs now are about things like how being a rock star sucks

God drat, this business is really lame

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

precision posted:

Can't Stop Partying was fantastic as a sad-sounding demo on Alone II. :colbert:

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

"Lonely Girl" is being streamed on some Samsung thing, already been ripped by some fine folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofEpUTK_pG4

Reminds me of Green filler. I guess that's good? I think "Foolish Father" has been the best of the leaks so far. "Eulogy" is not bad, either.

I agree that production will ultimately help the album regardless. The last two were just so polished. Even the attempted lo-fi stuff on "Time Flies" came off as corny.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

weezer was always poo poo and was never good and was always poo poo

always poo poo for dumbass nerds who like poo poo music

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

HollisBrown posted:

Did they though? I mean this song is dumb as gently caress https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52FgoqFPxKc but it's fun and goofy and at the time, it fit in. No one wants to hear a wealthy middle aged Harvard grad, sings songs like this anymore.

Actually this entire album is pretty much awesome and you hate fun.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
Met Rivers at the now closed Blue Dot in Eagle Rock four or five years ago. Totally unassuming and seemed really nice. But he wouldn't apologize for everything being increasingly meh after Pinkerton, so gently caress that guy.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

Half of Rivers' songs now are about things like how being a rock star sucks

...but enough about Pinkerton,

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Green meets Blue. I love it.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Destroy My Sweater posted:

"Lonely Girl" is being streamed on some Samsung thing, already been ripped by some fine folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofEpUTK_pG4

Reminds me of Green filler. I guess that's good? I think "Foolish Father" has been the best of the leaks so far. "Eulogy" is not bad, either.

I agree that production will ultimately help the album regardless. The last two were just so polished. Even the attempted lo-fi stuff on "Time Flies" came off as corny.

This sounds like the definition of a filler song. At least it's not something embarassing.

The full demo of the Green era song Burning Sun has now also found its way to YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDN6Ax4Wo0I

To be honest, if you've heard the 50s clip that leaked all those years ago, you've pretty much heard all the song has to offer. At least it proves that describing "Lonely Girl" as Green filler is pretty apt.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 16, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

...but enough about Pinkerton,

Ouch! Touche.

I listened to Pinkerton again for the first time in probably a decade recently. "Tired of Sex" and "El Scorcho" are still one goddamn hell of a way to open a record, Jesus.

And to think I once dissed "El Scorcho" as being "wannabe Pavement-lite". I mean, it kind of is (that wobbly guitar and bass, the enunciation of the lyrics is total Malkmus, etc) but it's also a Good Song.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

THS posted:

weezer was always poo poo and was never good and was always poo poo

always poo poo for dumbass nerds who like poo poo music

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You should have been banned for this post you dumb 'mo.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

DominoDancing posted:

To be honest, if you've heard the 50s clip that leaked all those years ago, you've pretty much heard all the song has to offer. At least it proves that describing "Lonely Girl" as Green filler is pretty apt.

Nah, the guitar solo needs to be the exact same as the verse melody for it to count as Green filler, and Lonely Girl's solo rips.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I've been humming Foolish Father and Eulogy so drat much.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
i recognize blue and pinkerton as being of higher quality and the albums i listened to most, but i sorta, kinda like every weezer album to some degree. even horrible poo poo like can't stop partying is scientifically catchy. i can't lie, i found myself listening to it repeatedly on more than one occasion. weezer srsly deserved more commercial success for their horrible pop cheese, it's way catchier than half the katy berry and lady gaga i hear. i mean, can't stop partyin is no party in the usa, but it's better than that weird, robotic britney spears poo poo.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

precision posted:

Counting Crows first album or two were fine and then they became insufferable, etc. "Had it, lost it" and all that.

Counting Crows just came out with a new album and it's got some good stuff, imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dityp2WT_yE -possibility days, my favorite one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMuVUZuY9v8 - earthquake driver, undeniably catchy with some sick lyrical flow. no idea what that wacky son of a bitch is talking about 99% of the time but i like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9lNxyyKUAY - palisades park, chorus that punches you in the face with a bunch of his 'round here' psychobabble wtf is he talking about stuff.

BigFactory posted:

In a lot of ways Weezer had higher highs and lower lows, though. I'd hardly call PJ's post-Yield or No Code output bad, just kinda same-y and dull. There's nothing like Troublemaker in there.

wai..people don't like Troublemaker? i picked up a guitar, what does that signify? i'm gonna play some heavy metal riffs and they will die.

jarjarbinksfan621 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 17, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I listened to Pinkerton again for the first time in probably a decade recently. "Tired of Sex" and "El Scorcho" are still one goddamn hell of a way to open a record, Jesus.

And to think I once dissed "El Scorcho" as being "wannabe Pavement-lite". I mean, it kind of is (that wobbly guitar and bass, the enunciation of the lyrics is total Malkmus, etc) but it's also a Good Song.

El Scorcho is like track 7.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bown posted:

Getchoo's a pretty hot track though.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

i recognize blue and pinkerton as being of higher quality and the albums i listened to most, but i sorta, kinda like every weezer album to some degree. even horrible poo poo like can't stop partying is scientifically catchy. i can't lie, i found myself listening to it repeatedly on more than one occasion. weezer srsly deserved more commercial success for their horrible pop cheese, it's way catchier than half the katy berry and lady gaga i hear. i mean, can't stop partyin is no party in the usa, but it's better than that weird, robotic britney spears poo poo.

I still don't get the hate for Can't Stop Partying. It's catchy, funny, and depressing at the same time. It's great. I even like the Lil Wayne verse, even though it makes no sense for a Weezer song.

It seems like a lot of people see it as an attempt by Weezer to cash in by releasing a generic party song that can be played at clubs, but it's obviously not that, because Rivers spends the entire song accusing celebrity partying culture of glorifying drug addiction and substance abuse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

Seriously? I guess I saved them in the wrong order on Spotify, then. That's weird.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAwPfXNStoU

New teaser. Harmonies.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It sounds pretty.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

deadwing posted:

The catching part is pretty objectively awful then I catch myself singing it at work and gently caress you Rivers

Yeah this was me Tuesday. They can pretty much stop at what has been leaked and it would be better than anything they've done in 5 or 6 years.

I was super worried when I saw the title "Foolish Father". I thought it was going to be a Rattitude-esque exploration of the same themes in "Say it Aint So", but no, not even close. If "Say it Aint So" was angry-teenage-Rivers dealing with his father issues, "Foolish Father" is a nice capstone of him growing up and viewing the same situation with a new perspective as a father himself. That chorus at the end gives me goosebumps; it sounds like the credit-sequence song for an 80's musical that was never made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/rivers-cuomo-is-trying-to-be-all-right-20140923
Sounds like standard Weezer to me (Rivers' head in his rear end, bandmates barely tolerating him). But here's the gameplan for the album:

quote:

His vision, he says, was of a three-part structure for the album. One third is made up of "classic girl songs – we'll call that 'Belladonna,'" he says. The second batch covers Weezer's relationship with their fans, including lead single "Back to the Shack" (in which he appears to renounce some of the mistakes of the recent past: "I forgot that disco sucks," he sings). "That section is called 'The Panopticon Artist,'" he says, referencing the concept of a prison whose inmates are constantly watched.

"Then there's a third and final group of songs about father figures," Cuomo says. "I'm going to call that 'Patriarchia' – that's a new word I came up with."

• Locked thread