Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
So "The British Are Coming" is pretty great. Why in the world is "Back to the Shack" even on here when every other song released has been leagues better? I'm cautiously very optimistic about the album at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Cheesus posted:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/rivers-cuomo-is-trying-to-be-all-right-20140923
Sounds like standard Weezer to me (Rivers' head in his rear end, bandmates barely tolerating him). But here's the gameplan for the album:

The definition of asinine pretentiousness. Wow Rivers, artists are often watched closed by their fans? My mind is blown

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I blame my complete inability to enjoy life on Weezer's musical output post green album. I kinda liked some of Red though.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
They did it. They made an album that isn't terrible.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The whole thing has leaked now, right?

Is it good? I'm looking forward to it very much.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

The whole thing has leaked now, right?

Is it good? I'm looking forward to it very much.

It's got a few embarrassing parts, but less than their albums usually have. I'm not totally sold on "I've Had It Up To Here" or "Da Vinci" yet, and the trilogy at the end is just a whole lot of guitar if that's your thing. Still, some great songs on here that are closer to their 90s output than anything they've put out since. Favorite songs are probably "Eulogy", "Cleopatra", "The British Are Coming", and "Go Away". I think the rest will grow on me, though.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

xbilkis posted:

I don't believe you.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
This album is good! It's probably a case of someone making GBS threads in your mouth for a decade and then giving you some stale bread and cheese but it's tasty!

I just got tickets to see them play it all in LA and I'm super pumped. It actually feels like Rivers put some work into it.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

xbilkis posted:

loving fantastic album. Everything I wanted and more. The only forgettable songs, for me anyways, are Da Vinci/Back to the Shack. Even then, those songs are better than anything post-Red Album (excepting maybe Ruling Me).

I seriously don't know why they led with Back to the Shack, such a poo poo song compared to the rest of the album. Even weirder, half the sites reviewing the album are making GBS threads on Go Away and praising Back to the Shack.

Futurescope Trilogy didn't blow me away like I thought it would, but I'd say it's a better "Greatest Man in the World", which I really happen to like. Rivers really went full-on Queen for the closing.

If I had to do my ranking I'd say:

1. Foolish Father
2. Cleopatra
3. Go Away
4. Eulogy for a Rock Band
5. Futurescope Trilogy
6. Lonely Girl
7. The British Are Coming
8. Ain't Got Nobody
9. I've Had It Up To Here
10. Back to the Shack
11. Da Vinci

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, Weezer actually made a decent album again? :wtc:

I'm not gonna believe it until I hear it.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
uh, a signed cassette version with each tape only having one band member signature so you have to buy 4 $15 tapes to have them all? does that technically skirt any album sales gimmick rules by having the ~exclusive~ part about the version being added in addition (so its the exact same album/product otherwise they are buying)

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It is! It is Not Terrible. Holy poo poo.

Edit: It...It's GOOD.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 27, 2014

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Every time Weezer releases a new album I at least give it one listen and then ask myself "is this a better idea than officially releasing SFTBH or any of the real good Summer 2k/pre-Maladroit songs like She Who is Militant, Private Message, Prodigy Lover, Mad Kow, Modern Dukes, etc." and the answer is always NO. But at least I'm not cringing face down in a puddle of douche-chills while I listen to this new one. I quite like Da Vinci, Lonely Girl, Anonymous, and Eulogy For A Rock Band. It's such a Weezer thing to do to release the two worst songs on the album as your singles.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just listened to the album and it's...okay. Not offensively bad like some of their previous output has been, but this isn't an album I can see myself listening to for years or anything. I didn't feel like there were many real standout songs on here. There were several on Raditude, I thought, and even Hurley had a couple, but I rarely felt wowed by this bunch of tracks. Go Away, The British Are Coming and The Futurescope Trilogy probably came the closest to that level, though.

Really I think I would have been a lot happier with an entire album of material like the last 3 tracks.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 27, 2014

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I just listened to the album and it's...okay. Not offensively bad like some of their previous output has been, but this isn't an album I can see myself listening to for years or anything. I didn't feel like there were many real standout songs on here. There were several on Raditude,

stopped reading at this point

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Homestar Runner posted:

stopped reading at this point
I meant more that they stuck with me rather than they were great songs. Most of the songs on this album haven't stuck with me a couple hours after listening to it.

Taye Diggs
Aug 12, 2013

Holla at yo boy

I meant more that they stuck with me rather than they were great songs. Most of the songs on this album haven't stuck with me a couple hours after listening to it.

Each to their own, I guess, but I'm having the exact opposite experience.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah I can't stop humming them and I'm a weezer fan that stuck with them up till maladroit, liked a couple make believe songs, and haven't liked anything they've done since except for all my friends are bugs.

Out of curiosity, which Hurley/rad songs do you dig?

Only songs I don't like on here are shack and I've had it up to here.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I refuse to believe this album is good.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I refuse to believe this album is good.

It's not, but it's also not bad. It simply exists, which makes it better than the past few Weezer album's by default.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So it's not a "return to form" but a "return to inoffensively bland music"?

I really don't know why people keep listening to this band! When Nine Inch Nails stopped being interesting, I just stopped listening. Same with Jane's Addiction, REM, U2, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. There are simply some bands/artists that for whatever reason, at some point, just stop being able to do anything particularly interesting. I'm sure there are lots of reasons, but the thing I'm fascinated by is that fans are still willing to give Weezer a chance after their past five albums. It's kind of baffling.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I think Make Believe is a good album so I can believe they haven't completely lost it. Excited to hear it now

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Album can now be streamed in iTunes.

precision posted:

I really don't know why people keep listening to this band! When Nine Inch Nails stopped being interesting, I just stopped listening.
They haven't, though. If you'd heard Hesitation Marks, you'd know. Even if that's not your favorite album of theirs, you can't say there aren't any interesting ideas on there.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 30, 2014

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

precision posted:

I really don't know why people keep listening to this band!

Is anyone listening, though? I think the majority of people on this thread (me included) are listening in every album or two, realizing nothing will sound as good as the Blue Album did when you were an awkward 16-year-old, and then checking out until the next forgettable batch of songs comes around a couple years later. This album just happens to be decent - had it come out a couple months ago, might have listened to it once or twice on a summer road trip, which is more than I can say for anything since Maladroit..

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm surprised to say that I'm actually enjoying this new album. Not tolerating, not hate-listening, but actually, genuinely liking it. :psyduck:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

http://www.stereogum.com/1708116/premature-evaluation-weezer-everything-will-be-alright-in-the-end/franchises/premature-evaluation/

Huge review that essentially sums up this thread's feelings about post-Pinkerton Weezer, and then something similar to my own on the new album:

quote:

But more importantly, “Back To The Shack” is merely a so-so song with the noblest of intentions, and Hurley is merely a so-so album with the noblest of intentions. Everything Will Be Alright In The End, on the other hand, doesn’t have room for so-so songs — intentions be damned — because it is a great record.

All right, all right, let me dial that back a notch: I’m grading on a curve here; Everything Will Be Alright In The End is maybe not a great record in the grand scheme....

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

They haven't, though. If you'd heard Hesitation Marks, you'd know. Even if that's not your favorite album of theirs, you can't say there aren't any interesting ideas on there.

Hesitation Marks is the worst thing NIN has done since With Teeth.

Also people have been saying that every new Weezer album is a comeback since The Red Album, so I'm gonna have to pass on this. We'll see how fondly we look upon EWBAitE once the next Weezer LP hits, because I remember goons praising the poo poo out of Hurley, too.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Hurley had its moments

I don't know why on earth some people like Maladroit though. eek

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

I really don't know why people keep listening to this band! When Nine Inch Nails stopped being interesting, I just stopped listening. Same with Jane's Addiction, REM, U2, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. There are simply some bands/artists that for whatever reason, at some point, just stop being able to do anything particularly interesting. I'm sure there are lots of reasons, but the thing I'm fascinated by is that fans are still willing to give Weezer a chance after their past five albums. It's kind of baffling.

While I'm not in the camp that actually bothers to listen to new weezer albums, it's not really fair to compare weezer to those other bands, since unlike weezer, they all went through a gradual rise and decline, gaining widespread acclaim then fading from relevance over time. Weezer had one really popular album, then their sophomore effort flopped critically and commercially, which isn't unique to weezer, but what is unusual is the critical turnaround on Pinkerton that occurred a few years later. Weezer never really had a normal career trajectory. In many ways, it bears more similarities to the Sonic the Hedgehog video game franchise, as I will now describe in detail...

Frog of War
May 1, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

Also people have been saying that every new Weezer album is a comeback since The Red Album, so I'm gonna have to pass on this. We'll see how fondly we look upon EWBAitE once the next Weezer LP hits, because I remember goons praising the poo poo out of Hurley, too.

Such a fervent believer in groupthink. Why wouldn't you try listening to something and making your own decisions on its merit?

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
Magnet magazine has an oral history of Weezer in their latest issue. Here's an excerpt.

http://www.phawker.com/2014/10/02/excerpt-the-complete-oral-history-of-weezer/

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The last three songs on the new album. The Trilogy ones (Futurescape?). Those are really good.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

The new album is good. There, I said it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Skeezy posted:

The last three songs on the new album. The Trilogy ones (Futurescape?). Those are really good.

It honestly just makes me goofy-happy for any songs to be good on a current =w= album. But I also think almost the whole album is awesome. I just have a lot of fun listening to it. I would cut back to the shack, make the last 3 tracks one track, and boom, you have a tight 10 song album. I wish I've Had It Up To Here had different lyrics because they are awful but the vocal melody is cool. So maybe I would cut that, then I think Lonely Girl and Go Away are too similar/serve the same purpose song-wise, so I would cut Go Away because Lonely Girl is the stronger of the 2, and then we all know Weezer has some songs that haven't appeared on any proper albums (Blast Off, IJTOTLOMD, a TON of moody Maladroit demos) that could take those 2 spots and the last bit of house cleaning would be to edit the countdown part out of Cleopatra and boom, you have their 3rd best album.

BTW I implore you to look into the Maladroit demos. They were just posted on the weezer reddit and they are waaaaayyy better than the album. That was another case of production just loving them over, IMO.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Here's the Pitchfork review: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19830-weezer-everything-will-be-alright-in-the-end/ (6.5)

Also "Back to the Shack" video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H89GXU9OeU

---

The Pitchfork review mentions it but “The Futurescope Trilogy” definitely sounds like something that was supposed to be on SftBH.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 3, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Weezer ft. Bethany Cosentino - Go Away (live acoustic on KROQ)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_P926G6vWs
Pretty good performance of one of the only songs I really liked a lot from the new album.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Weezer never really had a normal career trajectory. In many ways, it bears more similarities to the Sonic the Hedgehog video game franchise, as I will now describe in detail...

Still waiting!!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
But Sonic Colors was a step in the right direction!!!!!

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Emerald Hill. That's where I want to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I saw a 10 year old kid in a Sonic t-shirt today. It was only slightly more strange than if he had been wearing a Weezer shirt.

• Locked thread