Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Luke wanted to screw his sister so he introduced the concept of incest into my childhood brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Twee as gently caress posted:

if youre over 14 and still care about star wars lmao

i'm 12

Parallax Scroll posted:

look at this dork

yeah i'm p. embarrassed. then again you somehow knew that i was being a dork rather than just being an idiot and spelling poo poo weird, so i fear it's too late for you as well

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
i watched the star wars trilogy on vhs as a child many times until there were white fuzzy lines on the top and bottom

then i turned 9

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
a long time ago in a bedroom far far away

a young blond man is cucked by his renegade friend who screws his hot wife/sister

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Luke Skywalker is a nerd and Darth Vader sucks runny eggs.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
yeah liking star wars is pretty much as bad as liking anime, and i say taht as an admitted star wars nerd. if you like any of the star wars movies, you're in a club that includes me, benedick cuckold. think about that for a second and reflect on your life

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Benedick Cuckold posted:

yeah liking star wars is pretty much as bad as liking anime, and i say taht as an admitted star wars nerd. if you like any of the star wars movies, you're in a club that includes me, benedick cuckold. think about that for a second and reflect on your life

Dude, come on.

No it isn't.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

treatment of the ewoks echoes exploitative colonial practices in 19th century british india.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

i disagree, the ewoks rlly embody the "DIY" spirit of a new generation of young white americans

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

1gnoirents posted:

Dude, come on.

No it isn't.

you're right. one is a renowned artistic medium that has international recognition and the other is a melodramatic cartoon for adults. being into star wars is much worse

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

star wars is cool wtf

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I think you're trying too hard to make Star Wars deep and Ewoks just embody George Lucas wanting to incorporate teddy bear aliens into his bad movies somehow.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

quote:

after an opening scene in which the ageing Jedi Knight's severed hand, complete with lightsaber, tumbles through space and is found on a desert planet by two young adventurers. The pair, played by Britain's Daisy Ridley and John Boyega, recognise the weapon as a Jedi weapon and set out to return it to its rightful owner.

what a bastard. i hope they use his hand and the force powers contained in it as some kind of a weaponized relic.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

after an opening scene in which the ageing Jedi Knight's severed hand, complete with lightsaber, tumbles through space and is found on a desert planet by two young adventurers. The pair, played by Britain's Daisy Ridley and John Boyega, recognise the weapon as a Jedi weapon and set out to return it to its rightful owner.

with the plotholes already

idiots, the rightful owner is dead you just found his severed loving hand.

keep that poo poo

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

tomstuart posted:

a long time ago in a bedroom far far away

a young blond man is cucked by his renegade friend who screws his hot wife/sister

there's some pretty hot forced bi going on behind the scenes between luke and yoda

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

the ewoks represent the philosophies of actual smart people being exploited by dummies to clumsily justify their like of a movie because having good pacing and an evocative and imaginative setting with broad heroic escapism that resonates with many young people is not enough for them

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I loving hope that floating hand story is true

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
Luke's face is covered in warts. Why doesn't he use his jedi powers to remove them?

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
If you dont like the death star, x wings or star destroyers ur hosed in the head mate

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
jerry rice ain't chewbacca why would you even say that you bitch

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Bitter Mushroom posted:

If you dont like the death star, x wings or star destroyers ur hosed in the head mate

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

quote:

I was going to Satoshi Station to mine some Bitcoins!

quote:

You can waste electricity with your friends when your chores are done.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Puke Guyfucker

Fartoo Peepoo

You-sucka

Princess Gaya

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013
Luke did 9/11. Nuke Tatooine.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Hingehead posted:

Luke did 9/11. Nuke Tatooine.

topical

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

In Drywall posted:

i disagree, the ewoks rlly embody the "DIY" spirit of a new generation of young white americans

The Ewoks represent the Viet Cong, with Rickets being Ho Chi Minh. The Empire represents the French, and the Rebels equal America.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

echronorian posted:

In this thread, for example, compare the amount of hate for the prequels to the amount of praise for Empire. Nobody is willing or able to articulate what is actually good about Star Wars. People fixate on how the prequels aren't Star Wars, but 'Star Wars' - as they define it - never existed.

As someone who was seven years old sitting in a theater watching the original movie - in its ORIGINAL FORM - I completely disagree with your statement. That Star Wars did exist; it merely existed before George Lucas went whacko.

It's the reason I held on to my VHS player as long as I did...you can't get those cuts anymore. Empire being the best one is probably a result of the Irvin Kirshner effect. But, one thing that even the revisionists don't seem to want to address is that ROTJ was by and large every bit as bad as Phantom Menace.

a 5'1" 95 pound coked-out Carrie Fisher having the strength to garrotte a 2-ton space slug that probably doesn't even have a windpipe?

the most feared and capable bounty hunter in the galaxy killed by a freak chance that looked like it came straight from The Three Stooges?

an 8 foot tall Wookie swinging on a vine making a Tarzan yell (and yes, that was in the original cut, even though it could come straight from the insane George Lucas' edit-happy later self)?

an ewok dance party? AN EWOK DANCE PARTY with EWOK LYRICS in EWOK 4-PART HARMONY?

And don't get me started on the ewoks themselves. The bipedal shi-tzus were all over EVERYTHING for the next 6 or 7 years. They were every bit as annoying as Jar Jar Binks.

George Lucas is no master of dialogue, either. This didn't hinder ANH or ESB too much - in the former because of the constant mind-blowing action, and in the latter because of the incredible sweep of the story with its majestic sadness and ultimate sense of loss directed by a competent director (actually, the whole schmaltzy award ceremony at the end of ANH is pretty hard to watch and I usually stop the show at that point - same with ROTJ; as soon as Luke leaves the Death Star and that poo poo blows up, the movie is over as far as I'm concerned).

But the ROTJ dialogue was just really, really bad.

ROTJ had its good parts (from the opening up to the beginning of the Rancor scene [keep in mind that the whole Jabba's palace musical number was VERY different in the original cut than what you can see now]...then the shuttle flight down to the forest moon and until the end of the speeder bike chase was good...and then the stuff between Luke & Vader & the Emperor was mostly good and the space battle was really good), but the stuff that wasn't really good was just horseshit - which includes ANYTHING that happened on Endor after the speeder bike chase.

The point is, though, that the good Star Wars actually died at the beginning of the ESB end credits. ROTJ was like watching the last few "New Years Rockin' Eve" shows with Dick Clark after his stroke. And that good Star Wars is being purged Stalin-style by George Lucas every time he thinks he gets an idea to change something...him saying "This revision is how I really wanted it to be at the time of production" is a bit like saying "we have always been at war with Eurasia," don't you think?

So, I don't know how old you actually are and I make no judgements on that. All that I can say is that that good Star Wars WAS real. I was there. It's just been picked apart, piece by piece, over the span of the last 30 years, until the point where we are now, and the people that hold on to those kernels of truth are just not believed. George Lucas made history, and then he re-wrote it, and my childhood memories are sent to the gulag on Skywalker Ranch, and the KGB has secreted away the truth and replaced it with party propaganda saying "this is what happened, it's nothing like what you remember."

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

im gay

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

buzzsaw.gif posted:

As someone who was seven years old sitting in a theater watching the original movie - in its ORIGINAL FORM - I completely disagree with your statement. That Star Wars did exist; it merely existed before George Lucas went whacko.

It's the reason I held on to my VHS player as long as I did...you can't get those cuts anymore. Empire being the best one is probably a result of the Irvin Kirshner effect. But, one thing that even the revisionists don't seem to want to address is that ROTJ was by and large every bit as bad as Phantom Menace.

a 5'1" 95 pound coked-out Carrie Fisher having the strength to garrotte a 2-ton space slug that probably doesn't even have a windpipe?

the most feared and capable bounty hunter in the galaxy killed by a freak chance that looked like it came straight from The Three Stooges?

an 8 foot tall Wookie swinging on a vine making a Tarzan yell (and yes, that was in the original cut, even though it could come straight from the insane George Lucas' edit-happy later self)?

an ewok dance party? AN EWOK DANCE PARTY with EWOK LYRICS in EWOK 4-PART HARMONY?

And don't get me started on the ewoks themselves. The bipedal shi-tzus were all over EVERYTHING for the next 6 or 7 years. They were every bit as annoying as Jar Jar Binks.

George Lucas is no master of dialogue, either. This didn't hinder ANH or ESB too much - in the former because of the constant mind-blowing action, and in the latter because of the incredible sweep of the story with its majestic sadness and ultimate sense of loss directed by a competent director (actually, the whole schmaltzy award ceremony at the end of ANH is pretty hard to watch and I usually stop the show at that point - same with ROTJ; as soon as Luke leaves the Death Star and that poo poo blows up, the movie is over as far as I'm concerned).

But the ROTJ dialogue was just really, really bad.

ROTJ had its good parts (from the opening up to the beginning of the Rancor scene [keep in mind that the whole Jabba's palace musical number was VERY different in the original cut than what you can see now]...then the shuttle flight down to the forest moon and until the end of the speeder bike chase was good...and then the stuff between Luke & Vader & the Emperor was mostly good and the space battle was really good), but the stuff that wasn't really good was just horseshit - which includes ANYTHING that happened on Endor after the speeder bike chase.

The point is, though, that the good Star Wars actually died at the beginning of the ESB end credits. ROTJ was like watching the last few "New Years Rockin' Eve" shows with Dick Clark after his stroke. And that good Star Wars is being purged Stalin-style by George Lucas every time he thinks he gets an idea to change something...him saying "This revision is how I really wanted it to be at the time of production" is a bit like saying "we have always been at war with Eurasia," don't you think?

So, I don't know how old you actually are and I make no judgements on that. All that I can say is that that good Star Wars WAS real. I was there. It's just been picked apart, piece by piece, over the span of the last 30 years, until the point where we are now, and the people that hold on to those kernels of truth are just not believed. George Lucas made history, and then he re-wrote it, and my childhood memories are sent to the gulag on Skywalker Ranch, and the KGB has secreted away the truth and replaced it with party propaganda saying "this is what happened, it's nothing like what you remember."

clone wars is pretty rad.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

buzzsaw.gif posted:

this always bothered me when I was a kid

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Indeed. All the flaws of the prequels are foreshadowed in ROTJ.

Ergo, Lucas was losing his mind in 1980-1983.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

this always bothered me when I was a kid

she used the force idk

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
maybe he is really really soft, and its just hard to tell?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Star Wars had a good score.
And that's what was good about Star Wars.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It's not really that insane. JarJar grows as a person, while nearly all the other characters persist in their ways and learn nothing. JarJar says in one scene that he was quite happy to be wandering through the jungle - "my day started pretty okay with a brisk morning munch" - but gradually realizes that "people are going to die," and decides to do something despite being scared, clumsy and so-on. He risks his life for these idiots, and they betray him.

That JarJar's positive traits are devalued is not the fault of the film, or the character, but of those who fail to recognize them.

Quigon calls him brainless, and Jar Jar responds "I speak!" Quigon then snaps back that "the ability to speak does not make you intelligent." And of course, Quigon is totally wrong. Of course being capable of speech means intelligence - it goes straight back to the Turing Test imagery in A New Hope. Fans caught up in the Jedi ideology take what Quigon says at face value, and have simply accepted that JarJar is objectively subhuman.

The focus on JarJar's speech is crucial to the character, down to the 'random' gag where his tongue is paralyzed. See also the gag where Quigon grabs his tongue to chastise his intolerable behaviour. Jar Jar's various alien tics make him the perfect target for racism.

There's a great dynamic between JarJar and Quigon where he treats him with utter contempt. Jar Jar, for his part, is skeptical of the force - literally calling it bullshit at one point. And he's aware of the racism against his people, blaming it on fear of the Gungans' Grand Army - not so much that their army can threaten the Republic, of course, but that it demonstrates their resistance to assimilation into the liberal multiculture.

Jar Jar might be naive, but he's not callously indifferent like the others. When he gets tasered by a cop for no reason, he shouts "how rude!" - and that's also his response to learning that slaves are implanted with remote-detonation explosives to prevent escape. Calling it 'rude' is an understatement, but nobody else even blinks an eye.

This, I claim, is ideology.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
No gay people in any starwars setting, and the only mexicans are those ugly aliens with the double face.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

buzzsaw.gif posted:

hsf

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
TIE Fighter - best Star Wars experience

ReRelease it Disney!

• Locked thread