Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

The journey through the Bitterwood has been uneventful, as you may have expected. You were still on the eastern edges of the wood, and nestled between common routes of trade and travel for Anvil, First Triumph, and Glitterhaegen, nothing too dangerous could find the time to get a foothold, and the woods have remained mostly peaceful.

Except, of course, your destination. Following a hot tip, you have become privy to the location of a massive dungeon within a rocky protuberance in the wood, a festering boil of earth that has not yet burst its foul inhabitants upon the land. Gross. Is it alive? Has it always been there? Why are you the first to try to explore it? Why do the Martyrs of the 7th Sorrow have a monastery carved into the side of it? Questions abound, but you are certain that there is something of value to be gained from exploring it.

The Galloping Goat is your last rest before you will arrive there. Strange to find a tavern out in the wilderness like this, but it looks like they have their business model figured out, since the place is lively despite being quite remote. Hunters and trappers, tired of living off the land, visit the place for a nice home cooked meal and soft bed on the way to or from their destination. There don't seem to be any other adventurer-types around, just a lot of rough and woodsy folk.

Of course, you don't all get there at the same time, either. You knew each other from your past adventures and exploits, and agreed to this undertaking , picking The Goat as the best place to meet up. But who knows what journeys you each had, how long you will be stuck waiting for your companions here.

People who are playing know who they are. Post your sheets with your first post. Use orokos or something similar for rolls. I'll let you know when to roll relationship dice (at/before key points in the story).Levelling up will probably be a little faster too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Gilaemes Ishuar

Gilaemes sits on the walk between the two buildings, feet dangling over the side, an unstoppered bottle of wine in one hand. He takes a long swig from it, then sets it aside, picking up his sword and a whetstone, carefully putting a proper edge on the blade. It doesn't really need it, but the habit is unbreakable. Despite the habitually amused expression on his face, the tenseness in his shoulders and the abruptness of his movements speak to his impatience. Seems he's gotten here first, and he's bored. The locals are generally inoffensive, mores the pity, and too rustic for his tastes. At least they had a half-decent wine.

He inspects the edge of the sword, then puts it away, picking up the bottle again. He glances down the road, then looks more carefully. He smirks, and climbs to his feet, leaning on the handrail casually. "It's about time one of you showed up. The tedium was getting to me. I was thinking I'd have to start my own fun. Come on up and I'll buy you a drink, and then we can lament the tardiness of our fellows."

quote:

Stats:
Level 3 Wood Elf Monk

Ki:

Talents:
Flurry (Seven Deadly Secrets)
Leaf on Wind
Phoenix-touched

Feats:
Heritage of the Sword
Improved Initiative
Linguist

Forms:
Claws of the Panther
Dutiful Guardian

Ability Scores:
Str 16
Dex 18
Con 12
Int 10
Wis 8
Cha 16

Initiative:
+11

Armor Class:

PD:

MD:

HP:

Recoveries:

Recovery Dice:
(1d8 x 3) + 1

Backgrounds:
8 points, 5 max in any one

Icon Relationships:
Emperor (Conflicted, 2 points)
Prince of Shadows (Negative, 1 point)

Backgrounds:
Dancing Instructor +2
Exiled Champion +2
Vintner +2
Warrior Poet +2

OUT:
I am an exile from a distant land, the first of my school to reach these lands.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 16, 2014

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
pre:
Race: Dwarf     Class: Paladin          Level: 3

Str 18
Dex 10
Con 16
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 12

HP: 55          Recoveries: 8 (3d10+3)  Init: +3
AC: 22          PD: 16                  MD: 16

Background:
Tunnel Justicar - 5
Philosipher, Warrior, Poet - 3

Icons
Conflicted, 2 Dice - Dwarf King
Negative, 1 Die - Crusader
Smite Evil
You can use this talent once per battle, plus an additional number
of times per day equal to your Charisma modifier.
As a free action before you make a paladin melee attack roll,
you can declare that you’re using a Smite Evil attack. Add +1d12 to
the damage roll AND deal half damage with the attack if it misses

Bastion
You gain +1 AC.
In addition, once per battle when a nearby ally is hit by an
attack, you can choose to lose hit points equal to half of that damage,
and have your ally take only half of the damage instead. The damage
you lose can come from temporary hit points, but isn’t affected by
damage resistance and other tricks to avoid the damage.

Paladin’s Challenge
When you hit an enemy with a melee attack, you can choose
to challenge that enemy as a free action. Until the end of the
battle, provided that both you and the enemy you’ve challenged
are conscious and capable of making an attack, you both take a
–4 attack penalty against all other creatures and a –4 penalty to
disengage checks from each other.

Domain: War OR Leadership
Once per turn when you make a melee attack against an enemy, hit
or miss, your allies gain a +1 attack bonus against that enemy until
the start of your next turn.
Invocation of War:Increase the escalation die by 1.

OUT: Branded.  Scorned as the one who ran.
Hardcastle McCormick

It had come to this. A wandering mercenary. A vagabond sellsword. In a way, it was fitting. The cult once required priests of war to travel the lands for seventy years and seven before they could return to the fold. In this, she could still serve. There would always be war, there would always be conflict. Dishonors of the past were behind. Now, in the grim darkness of the near future, she could only see war. She liked it. It was nice, pleasing in a way.

The elf breaks her from her reverie. She decides it would make a good poem later. "What is in the bottle, elf? Some spirits are worth following."

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Yusha

Yusha had been preparing for this investigation for days. The thought of a dungeon - an environment as close to his normal domain as an adventurer could ever find - filled him with nostalgia. He had started the sacrifices last week, one adorable forest animal every morning at dawn. Yusha's divine patron thought that dawn was the best time for sacrifices, as it was, because anyone could do sacrifices before they went to bed. The real test of a man's character, the deity said, was how early he could wake up and how long it would take him to catch a rabbit before starting your day.

Yusha was good at passing tests.

And so it was that when he approached the two other members of his party, his leather-and-scale armor was slightly damp and had a macabre red tint to it. In contrast, Yusha's blue face looked positively cheerful. He greeted every woodsman on his way over and offered a few brief words of wisdom before giving a booming greeting to his companions. "And a good day to you both as well! I hope you both are ready to see the sights! I have packed the most excellent jerky."

pre:
Yusha
Dark Elf Druid 3

STR  8 (-1)	HP: 40/40
DEX  12 (+1)  	Recov: 8
CON  14 (+2)	Dice: 3d6+2
INT  14 (+2)	AC: 16
WIS  18 (+4)	PD: 15
CHA  12 (+1)	MD: 16 
		Init: +4
	        Melee: 1d20+1 vs. AC [1d6+1] [half damage on a miss]
		Ranged: 1d20+1 [1d6+1]

One Unique Thing: I am the supernatural doppelganger of an evil wizard and I am going to usurp his life.

Backgrounds:
	Druid Lord of the Mushroom Forest +5
	Ordained Priest of An Obscure God +3

Icons:	Positive, High Druid 2
	Conflicted, Priestess 1

Racial Power
	Cruel (Once per battle, deal ongoing damage to a target you hit with a 
natural even attack roll as a free action. The ongoing damage is equal to 5 times 
your level. As usual, a normal save (11+) ends the damage.)

Class Talents:
	Elemental Caster Adept
	Animal Companion Initiate

Powers:
	Deeper Waters
	Hail Hail

Feats:
	Adventurer Tier:
		Water Mastery
		Air Mastery
		Nature Talking

Companion:

Level 3 Animal Companion
Attack +9 vs. AC
Damage 3d6
AC 19
PD (or MD) 17
MD (or PD) 13
HP 45 (22)

Wolf (also RESKINNED AS A TREASURE CHEST MIMIC)
Acts: After druid
Advantage: The VIOLENT CHEST OF COINS gains a +1 attack bonus against enemies its
master attacked the same turn, or against enemies engaged
with its master.

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 23, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar

"I doubt you'd care for this vintage," Gilaemes comments, taking another draw of it. He reaches down to pick up another bottle, then vaults over the rail onto the stony slope, skipping his way down to join the other two. He hands the bottle to Hardcastle. "The whiskey is reasonably inoffensive, though."

He looks Yusha up and down. "I'm sure you have packed such a thing. But let's leave it for when we need it, and take advantage of local fare for now. Come on, before all the good tables are taken." Gilaemes walks over to the door and pulls it open, gesturing for them to enter.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Sinnika

A call of "Hang on!" rings out from behind the others as Gillaemes pulls open the door. "You big folk have no sense of proper timing. You've gone and ruined my grand entrance!" Sinnika stomps round the corner, looking cross. Who knows how long she's been there.

"I was just waiting for the right moment and bam, off you tromp straight inside. No kind of respect whatsoever." The little gnome crosses her arms, apparently expecting an apology of some sort.

pre:
Name: Sinikka
Race: Gnome
Class: Occultist
One Unique Thing: I was found encased in crystal, in living stasis, within a millenia-old living dungeon.  I awoke 
with no memories of my past but an innate understanding of how to make fate dance to my tune.  I may have been 
locked away there as punishment for some forgotten crime, or I may have been placed there for safekeeping until
 such time as the magic of the Occultist was needed once again...

Level 3

Str 8         -1
Dex 14        +2
Con 10     +0
Int 16         +3
Wis 16     +3
Cha 14     +2

HP 30/30

AC 16 
PD 13 
MD 17

Initiative +5
Recoveries 8
Recovery Die 3d6 

Backgrounds: 
Scholar of Arcane Mysteries 3
Clearly I used to be a performing magician! 3
Ooooooor maybe I was a thief… 2

Icon Relationships:

The Archmage (Conflicted) 1
The Three (Conflicted) 1
The Prince of Shadows (Conflicted) 1

Racial Features:

Small: +2 vs opportunity attacks

Confounding: Once per battle, when you roll a natural 16+ with an attack, you can also daze the target till
 the end of your next turn.

Minor Illusions: As a standard action, at will, create a strong smell or sound nearby.  Creatures that fail 
a normal save notice the smell or sound; succeeding creatures may notice but recognize it as not exactly real.

Class Features:

Arcane Implements
Delayed Magical Healing (magical healing takes effect at the start of the next turn of whoever applied the effect)

Focus and casting: Gain focus requires a standard action, draws opportunity attacks as ranged actions do.  Can
 expend it to cast an occultist spell.  Some spells allow to retain focus when attack roll is in certain range.

Uniqueness
I’m the only Occultist.

Rebuke
Gain Karmic Rebuke power.

Spell Choices, Flexible Recharge: choose spells each full heal.  When recharging a spell successfully, the slot
 is recharged, not necessarily the same spell (unless you want to)
Adventurer Feat: once per day, you can automatically succeed on a recharge roll that’s 6+ (but not 11+ or 16+)

Talents:  

Superior Rebuke - The first time each round that you expend your focus to cast a spell as an interrupt action
 and fail to retain your focus, roll a d20 afterward.  On an 18-20 you can also cast karmic rebuke as a free action,
 using that roll in place of your attack roll.  You can use this talent again during a later round in the battle once
 you have your focus again.
Adventurer Feat: You can also make the karmic rebuke attack when the d20 roll is 2-4.

Stance of Necessity - Twice per day as a quick action, you can gain a +4 bonus to all defenses as you draw protective
 karma around yourself.  The protection lasts until the end of the battle and is in effect when you do NOT have your 
focus.  The bonus also ends when an attack hits you while you don’t have your focus.

Otherworld Shadow - A strange other presence only I can hear haunts me.  It whispers to me often.  Once per day as an 
interrupt action, negate all damage and effects from an enemy’s attacks against you that turn as your shadow absorbs them. 
 Using this talent’s power means you avoid damage from a monster’s multiple attacks if it has them.  It also works against
 multiple attacks from mooks in the same mob working on the same initiative count, but not multiple non-mook monsters.

Warp Flesh - When you cast a spell that targets MD and the target has a higher MD than PD, the attack “twists” and targets PD
 instead.  When a spell twists this way it deals force damage instead of its normal damage type.

Feats: 
Spell Choices/Flexible Recharge Adventurer
Superior Rebuke Adventurer
Blood for Blood Adventurer (Blood for Blood can trigger when an ally is staggered, dazed, weakened, or stunned by an enemy 
attack)

Gear:  Embroidered robes, secret scrolls, runic vestments, etc.  Dagger.  25 gold.  

Attacks:
Melee Basic Attack:
At Will
Target: One Enemy
Attack: STR + Level vs AC (+2)
Damage 1d4 + STR (1d4-1)
Miss: Damage equal to level.

Ranged Basic Attack:
At Will
Target: One Enemy
Attack: DEX + Level vs AC (+5)
Damage: 1d4+ DEX (1d4+2)

Karmic Rebuke
Close Quarters Spell * Quick to cast; expend focus
At Will
Target: One nearby enemy
Attack INT+Level vs MD (or PD) +6
Hit: 3d6 + WIS psychic damage (or force damage) (3d6+3)

Spells
(Choose after each full heal-up; when spell is recharged recharge the slot not necessarily the spell)

2 1st level
3 3rd level

Prepared at 1st level: Better Yet, Here (At-Will), Bitter Lessons (Recharge 16+ after battle)
Prepared at 3rd level: Blood for Blood, (At-Will), Brilliant Comeback (recharge 6+ after battle), Moment of Karma (At-Will)

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

The Galloping Goat turns out to be a pretty nice place! Spacious too, should you need any private areas away from the trappers and woodcutters of the deep woods to do your secret adventurer talk. Maybe a little warm for a nice day like today, but otherwise, pretty comfy.

The server offers you food and drink, at a price that is reasonable (quite low for being so remote, really), and rooms, should you want to stop before you make the last leg of your journey to the monastery.

Nothing important to see here, just giving our final player a place to jump in. Feel free to go right to the place with the things.

Dagon fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 25, 2014

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon Douglas

pre:
Race: Human     Class: Commander          Level: 3

Str 17        Int 09
Dex 09        Wis 10
Con 14        Cha 18

HP: 45          Recoveries: 8 (3d8+2)  Init: +2
AC: 16          PD: 17                  MD: 15

Holding: beer stein (1d8 heavy), oaken keg (+1 AC)

Background:
Innkeeper of the Galloping Goat (4)
Brewmaster (2)
Frontiersman (2)

Icons:
The Dwarf King (Conflicted 2)
High Druid (Conflicted 1)

OUT:
Can brew any beer, anywhere, under any circumstances. Carries all the necessary equipment with him.

Talents:
Forceful Command (spend extra command points to boost d20 rolls)
 * Feat: +1 command point when battle begins
Martial Training (no penalty on heavy weapons)
Sword of Victory (gain 1 command point on 2+ mooks/1 non-mook slain)
 * Feat: Only requires 2+ mooks

Commands:
Rally Now (1st, Feat), Save Now (1st), Charge! (3rd)

Tactics:
Just Stay Calm (1st), Outmaneuver (1st), Swordwork (3rd, Feat)
With a raised eyebrow, Gordon eyes the group of four who have entered into his domain, the Galloping Goat. One of five establishments which he has tended during his lifetime, but so far the only one he has owned himself. He snaps his fingers loudly, and his daughter pops her head out of the kitchen area.

"Marie, tend bar for a while," he says simply, and vaults over the wooden counter to drop down onto the other side, his metal-soled shoes clanging loudly on the stone floor. "You lot seem like you're up to something interesting," he adds, a glint in his eye.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle McCormick

"We are adventurers, on an adventure," she says. "I can drink eight beers. Barkeep, bring me eight beers." After another moment, she frowns. "Why are you wearing tap shoes? Is there a show? Is there a cover?"

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon Douglas

He glances down at his boots, heavy leather weighed down with half-inch iron, and then back up at the dwarf. "You guys must have some really noisy music revues. Marie! Eight beers for the dance enthusiast here. And you can tell me more about this adventure you're planning, unless you'd rather pay for more than seven of those beers."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar

Gilaemes bows to the lately arrived gnome. "Indeed, it was all a conspiracy. We could not bear to be so thoroughly upstaged by the enormity of your presence. Allow us to make amends, with the small offer of a drink."

The elf manages to say this entirely straight faced as he sweeps one arm to usher everyone inside. This lets him hang back as the innkeep sticks his bristly mustache into their business. "If you have any more wine that isn't an affront to the art, I'll take it off your hands in addition to the beers."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Sinnika

Sinnika stares at the heavy iron soles of the innkeeper.

"I don't think we should stay here," she says. "If he needs that kind of shoe the roaches here must be REALLY big."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"They're for balance," says Gordon, reaching over behind the bar and hefting up a full keg, holding it under one arm before lifting it up onto one shoulder. True to his word, the thick boots stay firmly anchored to the ground, despite the audible sloshing of the keg's contents.

Marie arrives with a tray of eight beers in large glasses, each one with a suitably frothy head, and sets it down on the bar next to her father. She rolls her eye at him as he motions for her to hand him a large stein, which he then proceeds to fill from the keg in a display of adept one-handedness.

"I keep a clean establishment, and yes, I even have wines. Marie! One of the classy bottles, from the cellar, thanks."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

"This beer is pretty good," Hardcastle says as she begins to down them one after the other. "We are about to start on an undertaking. It should be a pretty good time. A lot of vengeance to split on the world."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar

"I appreciate it greatly, of course, though I suspect it will be consumed on the road." Gilaemes lounges in his chair. "Allow me to introduce myself, good innkeep. I am Gilaemes Ishuar, champion of the School of Navaez, given the Red Cloak from the Grandmaster's own hands, later cast out by the same over a petty jealousy, sent far from the gentle hills of my home and my vines, to wander these barbaric lands and impart upon them some measure of culture."

He opens his arms in a gesture of generosity. "Sadly, I find few interested in dance or poetry, so most of my instruction has been at the tip of a blade."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"Gordon Douglas, innkeeper, Galloping Goat. I suppose that part was obvious, though. Haven't been exiled - yet - and I'm not much for imparting more than a fine beverage, but you pick up a few things in this line of business. Sage life advice, how to read people, how to break up a fight or win one, but mostly it's debts."

He hooks a chair with his foot and drags it over, sitting down in one fluid motion. "So I was wondering, what's the payout like on a little endeavour like yours?"

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Just when the discussion seems to be getting interesting (re: money), a figure in a simple, homespun burlap robe approaches. Everything is simple, from the sandals on his feet to the rope belt tying the robe around his waist, except for one thing, an amulet depicting seven tears arranged in a circle. He clears his throat loudly and taps Gordon on the shoulder to get his attention.

Lowering his hood to reveal a middle aged face and shaved head, he speaks in a soft voice. "One of our brothers is missing. I have been sent to find him. He enjoyed wandering the forest in his spare time, perhaps he has been here, or someone has seen him?"

Gordon, and anyone else making a DC 15 check relating to religious symbols, can recognize the amulet as the sign of the Martyrs of the 7th Sorrow.

Also, you haven't seen him.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"Not seen him, I'm afraid. Can't speak for everyone else here, of course, but I'd remember one of your number." Gordon taps his chin thoughtfully. "No, not unless he went missing summer two years back, that's the last time I saw anyone from your order around here. Mind you, the forest is no place to be wandering alone. Not everyone respects the cloth, especially those four-legged and hairy kinds."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Synnika

"I sure didn't see anyone like that." The gnome shrugs. "Did he leave a note or something, maybe?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar

Gilaemes takes the arriving bottle of wine and drinks directly from it. "Haven't seen him."

"So, when do we make for this dungeon?"

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

"You are wise, a bar seems like a good place to start looking for a missing preacher." She considers for a moment, remembering her calling. "Would he have run off? Are your coffers still intact? Did he have enemies within your order? Perhaps it is more sinister than a simple wandering."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

"It has been a few days. Brother Ludis came from the wilderness, and I suspect that is why he enjoyed wandering the woods as he often did. Always back before morning prayers, though." He explains, somehow sensing that you might be the kind of people that would help look for him, or at least keep an eye out. "No note, no theft or other misdeeds, and we are all friends within the Martyrs."

With that, he glares at Gilaemes. "If it is the dungeon that we are rumored to sit atop of, it is just that, a vile rumor spread by those that would discredit our ways and our simple lifestyle. We welcome visitors and pilgrims, but would turn away any that sought to dig up some secret dungeon beneath our feet."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Synnika

"Good thing we're here to dig up the not-secret one then, isn't it?" The little gnome smiles. Then she turns slightly to one side, and says, apparently to no-one at all, "Yes yes, you're very witty. I said it, now hush so I can hear the conversation."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

Hardcastle eyeballs the man, wondering about the dungeon. Hearing the tell to the lie? Part of her job. Some things you never forget. "You sure about that? A man's life is at stake here."

Tunnel Justicar to find out what he knows/if he lies:
[20:22] <&WinsonPaine> .roll 1d20+7
[20:22] <+Morphball> WinsonPaine: 27 = 1d20(20)+7

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

The monk appears stunned by the sudden inquiries, and breaks his quiet and stoic demeanor. "Its just a rumor, right? I've heard of some tunnels they found once, but a dungeon, no. That's how these things get started, one day someone finds an old bear cave and a year later rumor has it there is an ogre living in a cave and stealing the village children. Just rumors, or we would have seen something by now."

He doesn't think that he's lying, but the possibility of there being a dungeon is enough to make him doubt what he has been told.

"I really should be getting back to the search for Brother Ludis. Do us a favor and spread the word, at least? Feel free to visit if you do find anything, or just want to see the wonders of the Seven Sorrows." He says, bidding you all farewell with some uncomfortably long bowing.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

The dwarf nods. "Those sorts of tunnels can be tricky. Lot of places to fall in, maybe break a leg." He considers a moment. "I'll look for your man, all right. See he gets back safe, safe as can be had."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

Gordon turns back to the assorted adventurers and claps his meaty hands together, a smile twitching underneath that inspiring moustache. "So, if you lot are heading out to find some fame and fortune, I wouldn't mind a piece of that. I know my way around a brawl, I know the local area, and five sets of hands can carry more than just four."

He pauses for a moment, spreading his arms wide. "And I'll bring along free brew for the whole trip. Deal?"

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

And that is how friendships are made, through mutual greed and alcohol. Tankards and bellies are filled, and on a full stomach and rested legs, you set off towards the dungeon. If there was really a dungeon and not just some weird monks. Though it is barely past midday, the thick woods cast even thicker shadows. The path you follow is little more than a deer trail, and you often have to retrace your steps to take an alternate route or spend valuable daylight clearing undergrowth.

It is on one such frustrating turn that you come across an odd and horrific sight. A hollow in the forest, a clearing ringed by protruding rocks and hidden from plain sight by brush, sit five hounds, growling and snapping at each other as they feast on a corpse. The torn and blood-soaked burlap robes reminds you of a certain someone you met just hours ago.

The hounds seem too busy with their meal to have noticed you yet. Which is probably for the best, because these don't look like any normal wild dogs.

You have time to prepare, avoid, or do whatever you'd like. Anything that would need a lot of movement or set up will take a DC 15 skill check, though. Barring failure at that, go ahead and Roll Initiative, and you have surprise. You will start Near the hounds.

quote:

Only two creatures get to act in the ambush round: the nominated ambusher and their highest initiative ally.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar

Upon seeing the foul hounds, a feral smile spreads across Gilaemes' face. He doesn't break stride as he draws his blade. In deference to his companions, he restrains the urge to charge in immediately, instead stopping within lunging distance of the beasts. He stands in the middle of the path, stance relaxed, sword place tip down in the Earth with one hand on the pommel as he waits for the right moment to strike.

Initiative.
[22:14] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 29 = 1d20(18)+11

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

Strange mongrels, Hardcastle grunts as the battle axe comes up. Booted feet thunder along the ground, the axe sweeping a deadly arc.

DESIGNATING MYSELF THE AMBUSHER

[21:38] <+Morphball> WinsonPaine: 18 = 1d20(15)+3

[21:42] <&WinsonPaine> .roll 1d20+7
[21:42] <+Morphball> WinsonPaine: 26 = 1d20(19)+7
[21:42] <&WinsonPaine> .roll 1d8+4
[21:42] <+Morphball> WinsonPaine: 8 = 1d8(4)+4

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

Steadying the keg on his shoulder, the heavy seasoned oak as tough and as durable as any piece of armour, Gordon tightens his grip on the tankard in his good arm. He didn't see much of the monks, but they didn't seem like unpleasant folk. Either way, nobody deserved that to happen to them.

[04:06] <~FuegoFish> .roll 1d20+2
[04:06] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 22 (1d20+2=20)

I think I blew all my luck for the game on this one init roll, but unless anyone rolls better, I think this makes me the highest init ally. edit: That's a 29, not a 19, Fuego. Learn to read.

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 4, 2014

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Sinnika

[10:39] <Ridley>: .roll 1d20+5
[10:39] <Morphball>: Ridley: 25 = 1d20(20)+5

I think that Fuego's math is wrong, as Gorbash is clearly the highest initiative ally. Since most of my stuff is interrupts, my question is can I still use those or do I gotta wait?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Yusha

Yusha looks positively ecstatic. What a wonderful journey! Nature, fighting tooth and claw! It's too bad the monk had to be the one eaten, but he would have eaten them in other circumstances, surely. And now, those dogs will become food for something else! Isn't this grand?

31<MSW>30 .roll 1d20+4
21<skybot>21 MSW: 5 (1d20+4=1)

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Hardcastle's axe bites into the side of one of the mongrels, adding another wound to its already torn flesh. The best gives a snarl and spins to face him. The others seem distracted by their meal still, at least for now.

Gilaemes*2 is up, then most everyone else.

Initiative:
Ambush! Gordon and Gilaemes
Gilaemes: 29
Sinnika: 25
Gordon: 22
Hardcastle: 18
Hounds: 13
Yusha: 5

Oh, and Ridley, I'm cool with interrupts during the ambush round.

Dagon fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 4, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar

And there is the moment.

As Hardcastle engages, Gilaemes snatches up his blade and moves in to engage the same hound. His blade moves with startling speed as he strikes, and then immediately spins by, out of reach and resetting for the next attack. This time he comes back in with a high slash of his blade, trying to finish it before its fellows can respond.

23 to hit and 15 damage with Panther Spins Free. Opened Claws of the Panther.
Assuming I understand the rules right, I moved up to engage, attacked, then popped free thanks to the form.
[20:04] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 23 = 1d20(16)+7
[20:10] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 15 = 3d6(2,4,4)+5

Oh I get to go again! 22 to hit and 13 damage. Using Cat Cuts Between Hounds.
[22:03] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 22 = 1d20(15)+7
[22:04] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 13 = 3d8(2,5,1)+5

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 5, 2014

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"Piece'a crap stinkin' mangy mutts," grumbles Gordon, clomping in and swinging his tankard at the closest beast, aiming on knocking its jawbone clean off. With his other arm he slams down the keg in front of him, using it to block like a shield.

Moving in do start dealing some melee hurtin'.

[01:14] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 15 (1d20+6=9)
[01:20] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 10 (1d8+3=7)
[01:22] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 2 (1d3=2)

If that's a hit, 10 damage and 2 command points, bringing me up to a total of 4. If it's not, I am hosed.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

This was it, the thick of the fight. The battle falls away around Hardcastle as she stares at her target. Spinning around, she swings another heavy blow. The thing evades, but the effort cost it some anyway.

[10:23] <+Morphball> WinsonPaine: 11 = 1d20(4)+7 = DOAM: 3

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 6, 2014

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Gilaemes leaps into the fray, leaping in, out, and in again, punctuating movements with stabs and slashes. Each one removes a seemingly vital chunk, but the hound still stands! Hairs stand on end as Sinnika starts gathering power in the bushes, and Gordon joins the battle, engaging with another of the hounds. Unfortunately for him, the thing is quick and avoids his attacks. Hardcastle attempts to finish off the wounded beast, but its movements are effortless still and it avoids further injury.

The two already-engaged hounds bite at their attackers. One nips Gordon, leaving a wound that bleeds profusely, and manages to break away from him. The three unengaged hounds leap into the fray with pouncing attacks, but their targets; Hardcastle, Gordon, and Sinnika, not only avoid getting hurt, they avoid getting bowled over by the speeding hounds too.

Yusha (and everyone else, in the next round) is up!

The hound Gil and Hardcastle have engaged is Staggered. These hounds are Evasive and take no damage from missed attacks! They also might pop free on a successful bite, or hamper you on a successful lunge!

Bite Gilaemes: 1d20+8 13
Bite Gordon: 1d20+8 28 6 damage, 3 ongoing, pops free!
Lunge Hardcastle: 1d20+8 9
Lunge Gordon: 1d20+8 9
Lunge Sinnika: 1d20+8 15

Initiative:
Gilaemes: 29
Sinnika: 25
Gordon: 22
Hardcastle: 18
Hounds: 13

Yusha: 5

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

Spinning around, Hardcastle levels another blow at the thing before him. These things were horrible. Yuck.

<+skybot> WinsonPaine: 14 (1d20+7=7)
If that hits: <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 11 (1d8+4=7)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Yusha

Yusha invokes hail! Ice comes streaming down from the heavens! Nature is miraculous!

Targeted at the enemy with the most hitpoints
<@MormonStarWars> .roll 1d20+7
<skybot> MormonStarWars: 19 (1d20+7=12)

Damage:
<@MormonStarWars> .roll 1d6+4
<skybot> MormonStarWars: 9 (1d6+4=5)

3 Cold Damage to the hound that attacked Gordon.

• Locked thread