Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Hardcastle McCormick

THAT WAS MORE LIKE IT. Roaring with approval, blood spraying. Hardcastle hits back. She was good at hitting back. ROCK FLAG AND EAGLE. SHE FELT MUCH BETTER.

SMITE EVIL
[10:14] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 25 (1d20+7=18)
[10:16] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 22 (1d8+1d12+6=5, 11)

Taking a recovery as a swift from the hit:
Recovery: 10:18] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 11 (3d10+3=6, 1, 1)

pre:

HP: 46/55         Recoveries: 7/8 (3d10+3)  Init: +3
AC: 22          PD: 16                  MD: 16

Bastion - Paladin’s Challenge
Domain: Leadership
Once per turn when you make a melee attack against an enemy, hit or miss, your allies gain a +1 attack bonus against that enemy until the start of your next turn.
Invocation of War: Increase the escalation die by 1. 

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

Another swing from Gordon's tankard, but this time it goes wide, doing little but spilling a little beer over the abomination's head. He shifts his stance, his iron-soled boots grinding unpleasantly over the stone, not appreciating the slender staircase one bit.

[22:09] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 11 (1d20+8=3)

pre:
HP: 38/45       Recoveries: 8 (3d8+2)  Init: +2
AC: 16          PD: 17                  MD: 15
Command: 4

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Cliff

A righteous blow from Hardcastle sends the ghoul reeling back a step or two, giving her a moment to recover before the next assault comes. However, Gordon swings wide and leaves a prime chance for it to take a nip from him. He can feel the toxins immediately begin coursing through the wound. The followup swipe toward Hardcastle is deflected, again.

The Ghoul is Staggered!
Ghoul gets a free bite when Gordon rolls a natural odd miss, 8 damage, 10 ongoing poison (save ends).

Init:
Ghoul: 17
Hardcastle: 12
Gordon: 10

Cavers: I'll remind MSW to post, but feel free to go ahead with your next turn's actions.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Yusha

Yusha pauses, looking perturbed. "Apparently these are not the most sociable of spiders. Maybe, in the future, we can try to dress a little less like their natural prey? I will sew many false eyes into our coats after this battle."

Yusha decides that it is time to stop playing. He picks a spider that is not injured yet and decides to "illuminate" the cave with it. He snaps his blue, spidery fingers.

<MSW> .roll 1d20+7
<+skybot> MSW: 21 (1d20+7=14)

<MSW> .roll 3d6+7
<+skybot> MSW: 12 (3d6+7=3, 1, 1)

Target is vulnerable
(hard save ends, 16+).

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

Hardcastle whiffs, hard.

Swear to god I thought I posted. Missed with a 12

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

Gordon retaliates immediately with a swift hit to the foul creature's face, and then quaffs a heady amount of ale to burn out the poison from his wound. Refilling from his keg, muses that this has not really been his day for not getting bitten by things.

Forgot to post as well. Lot of that going around. My bad, though.

[10:36] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 25 (1d20+8=17)
[10:36] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 8 (1d8+3=5)
[10:37] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 3 (1d3=3)
[10:38] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 16 (1d20=16)

So on the plus side: I hit, I do reasonable damage, I get hella command points, and I make my save against the poison damage. Now I just need something to use these command points on. I'm thinking I need to change my choice of powers at some point. But for now, Winson can use one to roll an immediate save on his turn, if it becomes necessary.

pre:
HP: 20/45     Recoveries: 7/8 (3d8+2)  Init: +2
AC: 16        PD: 17                    MD: 15
Command: 7

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Gilaemes Ishuar

Gilaemes shields his eyes with one hand. "Ugh! Foul things! As if this would slow me down!" The elf leaps between the two spiders, his blade twirling like a live thing in his hands as he lashes out at one to keep it in place, then bringing the blade down with full force on the one he had struck before.

Like some dumb web is going to stop me. Move in to attack the one I hit previously. Using Cat Cuts Between Hounds.
Attack! [22:55] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 24 = 1d20(20)+4 :c00lbert:
Eat 40 damage. [23:03] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 20 = 3d8(8,3,4)+5

If I can get engaged with both, the other one takes 5 damage.
[23:04] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 5 = 1d6(5)

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

"Grrr," growls the dwarf. She was mad.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Cliff

Hardcastle whiffs (madly), but Gordon has a chance to hit it with a strike that gives everyone a chance for a breath. It lunges back in immediately, tearing into Hardcastle but once more failing to do more than ruin the shine of her armor with more scratches.

Init:

Cave

While the spider is busy burning from Yusha's magic, Gilaemes rushes in, shouldering it into the wall where it gives what can only be described as a spider-like grunt, and chopping deep into the other one. Its legs wriggle and shudder, but somehow, despite all of the ichor pouring out of its middle-parts, it stays standing.

That spider is nearly dead, and Ridley should post!

Init:
Sinnika: 19
Gilaemes: 18
Spiders: 9
Yusha: 6

Dagon fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 3, 2014

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

Nearly making GBS threads with rage, Hardcastle spits out the only prayer appropriate for such a thing. Fuckword after fuckword sprays moistly in chunks from her twisting lips as she levels a huge blow at the bastard ghoul.

[19:55] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 25 (1d20+4+3+3=15)
[19:55] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 12 (1d8+4=8)

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Cliff

Hardcastle's speech devolves to its natural dwarven state as she chops into the the Ghoul.

It is staggered, if I didn't mention that before.

Init:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

Left, right, left, right - Gordon slaps the ghoul hard about the face with his tankard, hoping to bash a few teeth out in the process. "'Castle, you've got better angle on this jerk, try'n pitch the bastard over the side."

[18:56] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 21 (1d20+8=13)
[18:57] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 9 (1d8+3=6)
[18:57] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 3 (1d3=3)

Hit (I think), 9 damage, 3 command points. I seriously need better commander powers considering how little I'm using these points.

pre:
Command: 10

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Cliff

The concussions and axe wounds are finally starting to add up, as you can see bones and tendons that are probably important, or at least were in life, falling off of the ghoul. I guess they don't need them anymore or something, because it is still coming, and look like it has found the weak spots in Hardcastle's shell finally!

Gordon hits, Hardcastle is clawed for 20!

Init:

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle McCormick

Hardcastle was starting to get a little hosed up by all this, but hangs on grimly.

[15:49] <PumpkinPaine> .roll 1d20+4+3+4
[15:49] <+skybot> PumpkinPaine: 7 (1d8+4=3)

pre:

HP: 26/55         Recoveries: 7/8 (3d10+3)  Init: +3

Once per turn when you make a melee attack against an enemy, hit or miss, your allies gain a +1 attack bonus against that enemy until the start of your next turn.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

Gordon draws back his meaty fist, still clutching the hefty tankard, and punches it straight through the ghoul's rotten head. The body quivers for a moment before slumping to the ground, tumbling a little way down the stairs before coming to a halt.

"Well. That's that, then. Want to stop for a quick drink?"

[21:55] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 28 (1d20+9=19)
[21:56] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 10 (1d8+3=7)
[21:56] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 1 (1d3=1)

With all the basic melee attacks I've been making so far, starting to feel less like a commander and more like a fighter :v:

pre:
Command: 11

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Cliff

Even the slightest glance at the corpse of the ghoul reveals that it had some fancy jewelry, perhaps from a former life. Hanging from a cord around its neck are a sliver of blue quartz marked with an odd rune and a ring of twisted silver and gold.

You don't see any further ambushes waiting for you further down the steps, so you may continue on, or retreat to the safety of the monastery.

+1 Weapon Rune, Ring of Resilience (Recharge 6+, When you use this ring, heal using a recovery. Quirk: Eats an odd vegetarian diet and advocates it loudly.)

Feel free to continue on and go rescue the slowpokes in the cave.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle McCormick

Hardcastle pops on the ring. It was a nice ring. She then sits down and has a sandwich from her pack, and a pint of ale. "Builds up an appetite, so it does."

Recovering just using a short rest: [00:11] <+skybot> PumpkinPaine: 25 (3d10+3=3, 10, 9)

pre:

HP: 51/55         Recoveries: 6/8 (3d10+3)  Init: +3

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"Fancy rock," Gordon notes, pocketing the rune stone before tapping his keg to refill his tankard. He tanks a long drink, draining it completely, as Hardcastle has her sandwich. "Fancy a drink with that? Got plenty to spare."

Joining the short rest, looks like I'm back up to 38 hit points for now.

[19:20] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 18 (3d8+2=6, 2, 8)

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

"Fair enough," she says taking the flask. She breaks off half her sandwich, offering it to her companion. "Wurst and onions," she says. "Good stuff."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Sinnika

[23:23] <Ridley>: .roll 1d20+6 Better Yet Here
[23:23] <Morphball>: Ridley: Better Yet Here: 14 = 1d20(8)+6
[23:23] <Ridley>: Dagon is that enough to hit vs MD
[23:24] <Dagon>: checking
[23:24] <Dagon>: yes
[23:25] <Ridley>: .roll 4d6 damage
[23:25] <Morphball>: Ridley: damage: 11 = 4d6(5,4,1,1)

The little gnome appears to be gathering her focus and not doing much in actual fact. She appears to be somewhat disappointed that, again, her enemies are not going to be appreciative of theatrics.

And then she makes Gil's strike better.

Then it's time to focus again.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

"Did you ever notice how sometimes a single day seems to take forever, and then weeks or even months will shoot past and you will hardly notice," waxes philisopical Hardcastle as she munches down.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

Mouth full of sandwich, the best Gordon can provide is a contemplative shrug.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Cave

It takes a minute of dripping and draining ichor, but surprising everyone (except Sinnika, and especially the spider), the spider collapses in a heap. The other one leaps forward, chomping down on Gilaemes with knife-sized fangs and giving him a dose of venom.

Gil takes 5, 5 ongoing poison. Yusha (and everyone else) can go.

Init:
Sinnika: 19
Gilaemes: 18
Spider: 9

Yusha: 6

Cliff, then Forest

The trek through the forest is a long one, but Gordon and Hardcastle know the route now, and despite being on guard for more ghoulish ambushes, make it back almost before their lunch is finished. Standing outside the mouth of the cave, still littered with rotting hell dog corpses, one might wonder what fate befell their friends that went inside.

Dagon fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 15, 2014

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

Feeling good, feeling on her game, Hardcastle smirks. "How you think they're doin' without us?" she asks with surprising cheer. Taking care of the dead monk felt good, aglow in the wash of a vow made and kept. "Let's go find out."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"They're probably handling themselves just fine," replied Gordon, also feeling pretty good about himself, but still aching a bit from all the bites and scratches he'd been taking. Nothing a good night's rest wouldn't cure, though. Or a good night's drinking.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

"You know, I think this is the longest day of my life."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Outside the Cave

The silence coming from the cave mouth is worrisome at best. Maybe rocks fell and everyone died while you were away? Maybe some cave beast is making a meal out of their bones or they have been added to a necromancer's zombie horde?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

Realizing perhaps her thoughts had been too abstract to get her stubby legs moving, Hardcastle hefts her shield and axe before wading forward into the cave. Once she is there, she tracks down her fellows by following tracks, which she is trained to follow in caves. Alas, it is not the right kind of cave so she mostly wanders around.

<+skybot> WinsonPaine: 12 (1d20+3+5+2=2)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar
HP: 27/40 | AC: 17 | PD: 17 | MD: 14

Gilaemes hisses in pain as the spider's fangs sink in, but stands his ground. His blade twirls and flashes in the dim light of the cavern as he brings it up, and then strikes down at his foe, the point of his blade falling like lightning.

Attack! Moving to my finisher, Temple Lion Stands True. If I hit, since it was a natural even I also rally as a free action.
[11:59] <Morphball> Gorbash: 17 = 1d20(8)+9
(Rally if it's a hit: [12:05] <Morphball> Gorbash: 22 = 3d8(7,7,7)+1)

Damage. I deal half (12) on a natural even miss.
[12:00] <Morphball> Gorbash: 25 = 3d10(9,4,7)+5

Oh and I save against the poison.
[12:08] <skybot> Gorbash: 20 (1d20=20)

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

"So where do you think they are?"

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Cave

Gilaemes slashes many a limb from the spider, but it still advances! Grabbing onto Yusha, perhaps in a sense of kinship or just looking for a tasty meal, it paralyzes her with a quick bite and scuttles off into a hole that nobody with half a brain would dare try to stick an arm into, let alone give chase.

It is a surprise when Hardcastle and Gordon show up moments later, following the trail, to find 2 of the 3 comrades they left behind, covered in blood, sweat, and spider ichor.

MSW dropped out, and the spider was close enough to dead, so this works!

Look a map! You are in the lower right assortment of spider caves

Dagon fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 23, 2014

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"You guys look like you had fun." Gordon sets down his keg. "Need a drink?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Sinnika

"Need, no. Want, yes. I'm small though so keep it a half pint if you please."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar

"I suppose I wouldn't mind." Gil cleans off his sword before sheathing it, and eyes the two returnees. "Didn't think we'd been wandering around down here that long. How did your little errand go?"

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Feel free to take a Quick Rest and spend Recoveries. There is only one way to go further into the cave, unless you want to skip it and head for the monastery.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

Still full from the last sandwich, the paladin breaks the silence. "So, what did you find? SHould we go in further?"

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"Well, we're here now, seems like it'd be a bit of a bastard to do all those stairs again when there's some perfectly good cave to poke around in." He drums his fingers on the side of the keg, idly. "If there's some fat-bellied mushrooms around, I could brew us up some sunless cave ale for tomorrow."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

"It went all right. We took him back to his mates, I imagine he'll be laid to rest or thrown off the cliff or whatever it is they do. Did you guys find anything cool yet?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar

Gilaames downs his beer in one long gulp, clearly in need of the refreshment, and just as clearly restored by it. "Just the usual. Giant spiders." The elf pokes one with a boot, then frowns in annoyance at the ichor. He really should have known better. "But your late friend came from in here, and it was no arachnid that slew him. We should press further."

I will spend a recovery to get back to full hp.
[01:39] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 17+1 = 18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Backtracking to the cave with the pit, you descend down the steep slope to the passageway obscured from the ledge. The tunnel here is narrow and rough, and your feet crunch on the ground below. At first it was just gravel, but as you go further in you notice more and more bones mixed in, along with the smell of putrefying flesh, getting stronger the deeper you go.

Reactions/Preparations/Roll Initiative when you get to the next room!

• Locked thread