Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Along with Dark Souls 1 & 2 that have been previously mentioned in here I'll put up Ogre Battle 64 as one of my favorites/most difficult games I've played. Also one of my favorites by chance. You operated squads of characters that you could form on a 3x3 grid. When they encountered enemies they would cast spells/attack based off their class and their orientation. The battles lasted a few rounds of attacks then were broken up. You had no control beyond instructing your characters to encounter another group. You could have your characters die. Possibly resurrect them, if you didn't do it in time or were incapable they would turn into zombies - which you could also control, but sucked IIRC. The story was pretty good, but it was tied into the mechanics of the map you were playing on. If you let some guy get away or didn't capture a certain building it would change the story a decent bit. It was fun as a kid who dug that type of investment of time and energy. I was never able to beat it before I traded it for other games. Recently when I tried to play it I nearly tore my hair out due to the pacing and details along with some of the more frustrating mechanics involving fighting enemies.

I know this might be another one one to suggest was Diablo 3 launch. Inferno was so hard. Enemies hit for a ton of damage, had a ton of HP, and had effects that didn't indicate to the player that they were about ot happen(ie explosion on death). Furthermore monsters regenerated health if you didn't manage to kill them in a certain amount of time. They may have had rage timers too. Most people were poorly geared due to issues with itemization at the time(which the game is still fighting with) on top of having terribly unbalanced skills for the application. Most people couldn't manage to get past Act 1 in inferno for a chunk of time until they were able to adjust some of these issues. It made the game terribly frustrating because you could slam your character against an enemy over and over spending tons on gold on repairs only to get nowhere in it all. The game is better now, but early on it was pretty frustratingly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread