Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
This isn't actually in the spirit of the thread, but it's filed under frustratingly difficult console platformers in my head and pissed me off to no end during my childhood so here goes. Ladies and gentlegoons: Adventures of Yogi Bear

This may look like your average cutesy platformer for kids, the kind of mass-produced drivel that gets pumped out wholesale whenever a soulless franchise discovers video games. And it was. The formula is simple enough, run along platforms, kill bad guys, collect lunchboxes, don't die or run out of time. You know the drill.

The frustration came in the form of the minecart level, where you'd get in a minecart and ride along a set of rails, occasionally jumping to dodge steel bars. Hit the bar, and you get knocked off the cart and die instantly at the pottom of a pit. Again, pretty easy stuff except halfway through the level it started throwing higher bars at you that seemed downright impossible to jump over. For months my brother and I would play the game, get to the minecart level and then die to that first tall bar. We got so good at riding that minecart that we could play it in our sleep, but we never cleared That loving Bar. We could probably have walked across the level on the thousands of bloodied bear corpses below. It was taunting us. That loving Bar became our nemesis. It was our reason to get up in the morning, to finally get past That loving Bar. We didn't even care about the rest of the game anymore, in fact we hated it. Our hatred for That loving Bar was the only thing that brought us back, we refused to be bested by an inanimate rod.

In the end we never beat the minecart level. We eventually decided to accept defeat, or risk insanity. Years went by, the game was forgotten and we went on with our lives. One day at least a decade later if not more, for absolutely no reason, I was reminded of Adventures of Yogi Bear and That loving Bar. Something dawned on me that made me want to cry.

You're supposed to duck under the tall bar. :negative:

Nastyman has a new favorite as of 12:05 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Wanamingo posted:

Teleport bombs. You need millions and millions of teleport bombs and then it's super easy.

Get a decent boarding crew, and make sure to take out the missiles first in each phase. After that, it's cake.

• Locked thread