Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

peter gabriel posted:

Riven is the only game I have ever bought a guide for (pre internet, wow I am old) - what the hell was that game all about? I didn't even know what was happening as I followed the guide.

Atrus sends the player to Riven to deal with his father, Ghen, as well as rescue his wife Catherine. An overwhelming majority of the bonkers stuff you encounter is a result of Ghen installing himself as the god king of the native population of Riven and in the process using his own culture (that of the D'ni race) as the basis of their religion. So not only is there a lot of deification of Ghen himself, but also lots of idolization of the trees and beetles, as those are the source of the paper and ink that go into The Art of making linking books. (There's also some minor worship of the Whark, a shark/rhino type thing, as that's Ghen's preferred method of executing natives that displease him.)

You eventually need to meet up with the Rivenese resistance in order to retrieve the Trap Book (basically a linking book that takes you to a dead end with no way out), which was stolen from you at the beginning of the game. With that, you trap Ghen and gain access to his home, where you can find the combination necessary to unlock Catherine's prison. (The two main puzzles in the game are all about figuring out how to get to the resistance and Ghen's home in the first place. They're huge game-spanning puzzles.)

And after all of that, you signal Atrus by catastrophically re-opening a hole in the dimension itself (Catherine thankfully evacuates everyone to the resistance world beforehand :v:). Then you fall into the Star Fissure (the aforementioned hole in reality). It's not explicitly stated in the game itself (IIRC, Atrus just openly ponders where you'll end up), but because of reasons explained in other games and some of the books, the Star Fissure just gently leads you back to the New Mexico desert.

I uh, I think I got all that right. Just going off of memory. :eng101: / :spergin:

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 10:01 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread