Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

oh goatmen, they are a quick way to death if you get bogged down in melee with even ONE if you are not a Warrior. They attack so drat fast that it is pretty easy to get stun locked, so much so that even running away can be a challenge.

Truly when this naked man meets Diablo he will have many scars marking his journey :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I had no idea Black Deaths permanently reduced HP. How the gently caress was that supposed to be apparent.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sir Shion posted:

I had no idea Black Deaths permanently reduced HP. How the gently caress was that supposed to be apparent.

It wasn't. Diablo 1 was way more in the roguelike genre than its descendents and felt perfectly free to randomly dick you over in obscure ways.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It wasn't. Diablo 1 was way more in the roguelike genre than its descendents and felt perfectly free to randomly dick you over in obscure ways.

And dear lord did it love to gently caress you over

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fun fact: in the original unpatched game, with +HP equipment on, you could get Black Deaths to reduce you to negative max HP. It was the only way in Multiplayer to perma-die. It also caused the game to crash hellaciously.

It was sadly patched out later on.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
The RNG seems to have this absolute raging hardon to rape you at every chance and make sure that you don't leave the dungeon alive...again.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KataraniSword posted:

Fun fact: in the original unpatched game, with +HP equipment on, you could get Black Deaths to reduce you to negative max HP. It was the only way in Multiplayer to perma-die. It also caused the game to crash hellaciously.

It was sadly patched out later on.

What, did it just crash any game you tried to enter?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

As sombody who has only played Diablo 3, it's interesting to see Tristram and how it's completely differnt than what it is in this game! Not mention the names of some of these bosses are either also in 3 or are mentioned in some way thorough journals or whatever (Lacdanaan,Leoric,The Butcher and of course Adria)

Is it considered stealing if you're stealing entire people from your own series and putting them in your new game and making them "better"?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is it considered stealing if you're stealing entire people from your own series and putting them in your new game and making them "better"?

They did the same thing with a lot Diablo 2 content. It's considered lazy as gently caress and uninspired.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

that's debatable, I have friends that loved playing D2 but never touched the original and so when D3 came along the asked me (because I was/am a huge Diablo fan) who the gently caress Lacdanaan and Adria and the others were and I just said "this makes a shitload more sense if you played Diablo" and it actually turned them away from D3. I'll be honest it left a bad taste in my mouth too. The stories in D1 and D2 were not spectacular but Blizzard tried their best to make sure the two were still fairly separate entities. Pretty much the only true links between D1 and D2 is Cain, Tristram and everything you find there, and the fact that the Dark Wanderer is the PC from D1 (although the Rogue and Sorcerer make cameos as well).

The stuff from D1 that was found in D2 didn't bear a huge impact on the overall story so it was more like set dressing. However that changed in D3 and it kind of soured my opinion of the game, that and it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy in comparison and the incorporation of WoW features kind of took away the uniqueness of the Diablo universe. Sure D2 was more straight RPG instead of Roguelike that Diablo was but it was still a little challenging and you didn't really get a handle on your builds until after a couple playthroughs. I felt D3 cut out a lot of that experimentation

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Veloxyll posted:

so THAT'S what 'Where Avarice fails, patience gains rewards' gives you.

I did not have the internet when I played Diablo

Also Black Deaths and negative shrines >: (

Though there are also some super neat shrines.

I actually bought the strategy guide (one of the last paper ones I ever owned) just because it had a full list of items, shrines, and monsters. The Catacombs was the place where my warrior learned to love Firewall; it was so much fun dropping one on a doorway and then making the goatmen stand in it while they fought me.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Aces High posted:

that's debatable, I have friends that loved playing D2 but never touched the original and so when D3 came along the asked me (because I was/am a huge Diablo fan) who the gently caress Lacdanaan and Adria and the others were and I just said "this makes a shitload more sense if you played Diablo" and it actually turned them away from D3. I'll be honest it left a bad taste in my mouth too. The stories in D1 and D2 were not spectacular but Blizzard tried their best to make sure the two were still fairly separate entities. Pretty much the only true links between D1 and D2 is Cain, Tristram and everything you find there, and the fact that the Dark Wanderer is the PC from D1 (although the Rogue and Sorcerer make cameos as well).

The stuff from D1 that was found in D2 didn't bear a huge impact on the overall story so it was more like set dressing. However that changed in D3 and it kind of soured my opinion of the game, that and it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy in comparison and the incorporation of WoW features kind of took away the uniqueness of the Diablo universe. Sure D2 was more straight RPG instead of Roguelike that Diablo was but it was still a little challenging and you didn't really get a handle on your builds until after a couple playthroughs. I felt D3 cut out a lot of that experimentation

The stuff in D2 was just nice callbacks. eg Wirt's leg.

If you hadn't played D1 D3 would not have made a bit of sense. It was still pretty ordinary anyhow though.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

If you hadn't played D1 D3 would not have made a bit of sense. It was still pretty ordinary anyhow though.

I would argue that heavily. I have never played D1, but played D3 to the end and fully understood the story. Its not like its super hard to pick up. So going though the LP now, I'm not having huge revelations of quality and storytelling so much as "Oh hey, Adria's actually here. That's cool, I guess. Gosh, those pictures sure are fitting for her aren't they?"

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Did all of the people who didn't understand the D1 tie-ins in D3 miss the giant number of books everywhere meant to narrate the backstory? Usually "you just have to read the datalog!!!" is a stupid argument, but if you for some arcane reason actually care about the horrible story of Diablo, then why don't you read it?

D2 also depends heavily on D1 in Act 1, and NPCs will happily explain to you what poo poo went down. It just doesn't matter because the name of the game is HERE THERE BE DEMONS KILL THEY rear end.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I played D1 so long before D3 that I did not remember Adria had been in D1 until this thread popped up. :v:

But yeah, you really, really don't need to have played D1 to make sense of D3. At least no more so than D2.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Are you wearing a non-cursed cloak there?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pierzak posted:

Are you wearing a non-cursed cloak there?

Since enemy aggro distance is based on your character's Light Radius and the +LR enchantment doesn't do anything else other than make your screen mildly brighter, Armors "of Light"/"of Radiance" are considered "cursed" for the purposes of a BNM run.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The biggest crime D3, technically just Blizzard, pulled was the carbon copy of world locations. Look at D2 and D3: Act 1 involves hilly grasslands, main locations include a cathedral, cemetaries and underground lair/religious sect. Act 2 is desert world, a mosque-styled building, a weird extra-dimensional location that may be a laboratory. Act 3 starts to get a little different but is incredibly reminiscent of Throne of Baal, snow world and finding allies in the wastes, caves. Act 4 is the first original location, but has influences of D2's fourth act.

You could also argue that Act 2 in D3 has influences of both Act 2 and some Act 3 (with the jungle themed areas) and Act 3 has a mix of Act 4 and 5 from D2.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it. :downs:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Simply Simon posted:

Did all of the people who didn't understand the D1 tie-ins in D3 miss the giant number of books everywhere meant to narrate the backstory? Usually "you just have to read the datalog!!!" is a stupid argument, but if you for some arcane reason actually care about the horrible story of Diablo, then why don't you read it?

D2 also depends heavily on D1 in Act 1, and NPCs will happily explain to you what poo poo went down. It just doesn't matter because the name of the game is HERE THERE BE DEMONS KILL THEY rear end.

You don't even have to READ them; if you pick them up the game narrates them to you.

NothingToFyr
May 22, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

You don't even have to READ them; if you pick them up the game narrates them to you.

The age we live in: Kid's can't even be bothered to pay attention unless it's attacking you or exploding. I blame Michael Bay.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The biggest crime D3, technically just Blizzard, pulled was the carbon copy of world locations. Look at D2 and D3: Act 1 involves hilly grasslands, main locations include a cathedral, cemetaries and underground lair/religious sect. Act 2 is desert world, a mosque-styled building, a weird extra-dimensional location that may be a laboratory. Act 3 starts to get a little different but is incredibly reminiscent of Throne of Baal, snow world and finding allies in the wastes, caves. Act 4 is the first original location, but has influences of D2's fourth act.

You could also argue that Act 2 in D3 has influences of both Act 2 and some Act 3 (with the jungle themed areas) and Act 3 has a mix of Act 4 and 5 from D2.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it. :downs:

No, you're right

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

D3's Act 5 also shits all over Pandemonium now that i think about it. Then again if they could have made that place look like it does in D3 back in 2000-ish they probably would have.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

D3's Act 5 also shits all over Pandemonium now that i think about it. Then again if they could have made that place look like it does in D3 back in 2000-ish they probably would have.

Don't forget the fact that they incorporate the lovely Jungle maps in Act 5!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah D3 was basically a play-by-play of Diablo 2 but not fun. I'm told they fixed a lot and it's Actually Fun now though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
D3 started out as a horrible mess because the item drops were utter poo poo and it had a P2W system with the auction house, not that that mattered since they didn't have (Do they even have it yet?) PVP system so everything was PVE.

If I had to suggest a Diablo game for someone who's never played it before, 2 would definitely be my recommendation.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

As someone who's heavily played the entire series, and didn't enjoy D3 on release, the D3 of today is an incredibly different beast than it was on release. There's no PVP still, but the PVE game is rock solid.

No more auction house, characters are not made of paper and no longer collapse at the first sign of enemies, there's a new "adventure mode" wherein you go to places in the world and kill unique bosses for bounties, which give you portal stones you can use to create randomly generated worlds from anywhere in the game, with mixed up enemies, tons of unique and super unique bosses, and once you kill a certain volume of enemies inside the new instance, you have a rift guardian to kill, with an increased chance to drop legendaries.

There's also greater portals (not max level yet, so don't know how to open them) where the portals dont drop any loot unless you kill the boss, but if you do, there's guaranteed legendaries / sets, and if you kill the volume & boss within a certain time limit (variable dependant on difficulty) another - more difficult - portal opens and you keep going and going, with ever increasing chances of drops.

I'm also told that the PS3 version portal stones has a chance to take you to a world from the last of us, not sure if that's true or not though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Just played a session of D3 and it's super fun, yes. I didn't dislike it on release like most people, but it did have a few major flaws; now all of those have been adressed and even more cool poo poo was added, it's become a really good game.

Wonder if Hellgate:London could have turned out the same if they hadn't run out of money...

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

Just played a session of D3 and it's super fun, yes. I didn't dislike it on release like most people, but it did have a few major flaws; now all of those have been adressed and even more cool poo poo was added, it's become a really good game.

Wonder if Hellgate:London could have turned out the same if they hadn't run out of money...

I doubt Hellgate could have been saved by an effort similar to the one that was put into D3 in the form of this expansion.

Design choice with regards to item distribution player/monster power levels etc are a big problem but something that can be solved relatively easily, just change the numbers. Its a matter of wanting too and having a good idea of where you want them to be. Yes D3 has done more than simply that but a lot of the reason it feels better is related to that. That and more interesting legendary items.

Many of Hellgates issues were outside of the scope of itemization, drop rates and monster stats.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Honestly, the only reason I'm not playing D3 now is because I don't want to shell out for reaper of souls. Considering path of exile has nearly as much content and plays more like D2 than D3 ever did, I think I'm okay. I enjoyed myself playing it on launch, and honestly it was nice to nearly earn back the purchase cost on the RMAH. I suppose maybe I'll ask for the expack for the holidays.

Anyway, I am loving the hell out of this thread so far, especially all the Adria portraits. Really looking forward to seeing what this turns into later on down the line. Haven't played Diablo the first in many a year, so this is a nice trip down nostalgia lane.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Toad posted:

No more auction house, characters are not made of paper and no longer collapse at the first sign of enemies, there's a new "adventure mode" wherein you go to places in the world and kill unique bosses for bounties, which give you portal stones you can use to create randomly generated worlds from anywhere in the game, with mixed up enemies, tons of unique and super unique bosses, and once you kill a certain volume of enemies inside the new instance, you have a rift guardian to kill, with an increased chance to drop legendaries.

I don't remember D3 being super hard on release, I played it about 1 week after release and beat it within 2 days (after work hours) but that could be because I made a Monk and specced him for dodge and evade, doing so meant I beat Diablo in like 3 minutes :geno:. D3 was the fastest Diablo game for me and well that's just kinda lame when it's your first playthrough

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Aces High posted:

I don't remember D3 being super hard on release, I played it about 1 week after release and beat it within 2 days (after work hours) but that could be because I made a Monk and specced him for dodge and evade, doing so meant I beat Diablo in like 3 minutes :geno:. D3 was the fastest Diablo game for me and well that's just kinda lame when it's your first playthrough

It wasn't super hard until you moved off normal and onto nightmare.

I stopped halfway through act 1 nightmare because I got sick of dealing with groups with prefixes the likes of molten chains, invulnerable minions and walling.

Got real old.

edit: whoops, phone postin'

tithin fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 7, 2014

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Inferno was the real poo poo-fest, honestly. I never got past Act 2 of Inferno, because it came up with even more ridiculous affix combos. Like 6 or 7 on a single pack.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I slogged my way to inferno diablo but could never be bothered to take him down. :effort:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

D3 started out as a horrible mess because the item drops were utter poo poo and it had a P2W system with the auction house, not that that mattered since they didn't have (Do they even have it yet?) PVP system so everything was PVE.

If I had to suggest a Diablo game for someone who's never played it before, 2 would definitely be my recommendation.

The game was so easy on normal difficulty that it really wasn't P2W at all. It was only P2W if you wanted to be some sort of elite Inferno running top tier player (for neckbeard reasons). Inferno was so loving hard at release that the only people who could beat Inferno Diablo were luck-based gimmick builds and people who found glitches, like the Wizard God Mode exploit or the glitch that allowed Barbarians to regain 8% of their health with every hit. But Blizzard did a pretty good job of slowly balancing the game into something playable, and from what I hear they even made the game pretty fun in the months leading up to the expansion. I've heard great things about the patch that rebalanced legendaries, making them actually pretty useful and fun and not completely useless

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

QuarkJets posted:

The game was so easy on normal difficulty that it really wasn't P2W at all. It was only P2W if you wanted to be some sort of elite Inferno running top tier player (for neckbeard reasons). Inferno was so loving hard at release that the only people who could beat Inferno Diablo were luck-based gimmick builds and people who found glitches, like the Wizard God Mode exploit or the glitch that allowed Barbarians to regain 8% of their health with every hit. But Blizzard did a pretty good job of slowly balancing the game into something playable, and from what I hear they even made the game pretty fun in the months leading up to the expansion. I've heard great things about the patch that rebalanced legendaries, making them actually pretty useful and fun and not completely useless

High end items were all poo poo because they rolled almost all their stats randomly and legendaries were such a joke that nobody dared use them. If you wanted to have good items you really had to search the AH and have a huge amount of gold or $$ to afford getting into the higher/highest tier stuff. Patches did a great job at balancing it out, but I disagree that Blizzard did a good job in slowly balancing it. It should've been balanced, or had way less fuckery for item stats/attributes, from the start and Blizzard should drat well know better.

E: So as not to derail the thread, I'll stop posting about D3 and my gripes with it. Loving this LP and keep up the good work queserasera!

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 7, 2014

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
Yeah, D3's normal difficulty was no challenge at all, nightmare was as hard as normal in D2 (not very), hell was like nightmare and inferno was incredible bullshit.

The one thing about Diablo I remember the most is town portals. That loading screen and sprite are burnt into my mind. The early game was mostly around town portals, since walking to town was a huge bore. If things went badly I didn't have money to buy town portal scrolls and had to make every single one count; the portal doesn't disappear until you go back into it from town. To save those precious precious scrolls I often used one in a strategic spot when I needed to retreat, and walked back through the cathedral entrance. The portal's still there waiting to be used again.

Of course, if I had any luck I got a town portal book or a bunch of gold by the Catacombs, and it stopped being an issue.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

D3 Inferno difficulty at release was basically that video, all the time, for any class without an enormous health buffer. Normal monsters would just instantly murder you if you bothered to venture beyond Act 1. They pretty quickly patched that down to where you'd still die easily, but not instantly

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

As sombody who has only played Diablo 3, it's interesting to see Tristram and how it's completely differnt than what it is in this game! Not mention the names of some of these bosses are either also in 3 or are mentioned in some way thorough journals or whatever (Lacdanaan,Leoric,The Butcher and of course Adria)

It's terrible retconning, imo. I remember the D1 manual giving some neat background information on the characters and historical information about the world that made Khanduras sound grimdark as all get out. Now it feels like the place was all sunshine and butterfly farts until the Three Prime Evils showed up.

Aces High posted:

However that changed in D3 and it kind of soured my opinion of the game, that and it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy in comparison and the incorporation of WoW features kind of took away the uniqueness of the Diablo universe.

Agreed. I tried to play D3 about a month after release and I gave up. I felt like Blizzard decided what was optimal for each character type and turned the entire game into a gear grind. So I played Torchlight instead and felt better.

Nemo2342 posted:

The Catacombs was the place where my warrior learned to love Firewall; it was so much fun dropping one on a doorway and then making the goatmen stand in it while they fought me.

I lean hard on Fire Bolt because it's cheap and few things resist it. (Just my luck to find critters that do.) That FW technique is a good strategy in hell.

Simply Simon posted:

There are plotdump books in D1 as well--I plan to cover the one seen at the end of my last update in the next one. And yeah, you don't play Blizzard games for the plot. :downs: (Neat worldbuilding, gotta give 'em that.)

I don't mind the Diablo series talk, just keep D3 spoilers to a minimum or under tags.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
It's weird - I seem to have had the exact opposite experience as everyone else with D3. I played it at launch and had a mindless blast with it, ignoring the auction house and just fighting through the campaign and everything seemed pretty well-balanced. I just recently tried starting over with my brother and we got halfway through act 3 without ever once being mildly threatened. I was playing a witch doctor and even during major boss fights that used to be exciting and harrowing dodge-fests, I could just stand still and hold down the mouse button and ignore every incoming attack. It's like every enemy had its HP doubled and its damage output reduced tenfold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ProfessorProf posted:

It's weird - I seem to have had the exact opposite experience as everyone else with D3. I played it at launch and had a mindless blast with it, ignoring the auction house and just fighting through the campaign and everything seemed pretty well-balanced. I just recently tried starting over with my brother and we got halfway through act 3 without ever once being mildly threatened.

On normal? Diablo is easy peasy and the real gripes against it are at the end-game portions.

• Locked thread